Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• 480x
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to get 2 sets, just like I typically buy 2 or more of everything from the mint. I do this in order to assemble the best set. If one or two coins are damaged or sub-par, with two sets I can piece together a superior set to keep. I don't like the idea of being stuck with MS64 and less examples.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to get 2 sets, just like I typically buy 2 or more of everything from the mint. I do this in order to assemble the best set. If one or two coins are damaged or sub-par, with two sets I can piece together a superior set to keep. I don't like the idea of being stuck with MS64 and less examples. >>

There is always HSN.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don129...check your IM.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm trying to get 2 sets, just like I typically buy 2 or more of everything from the mint. I do this in order to assemble the best set. If one or two coins are damaged or sub-par, with two sets I can piece together a superior set to keep. I don't like the idea of being stuck with MS64 and less examples. >>

There is always HSN.image >>

I wonder how many AP's cherry pick their selection.

<< <i>I wonder how many AP's cherry pick their selection. >>

I think most of them are too overwhelmed and understaffed to cherry pick... Not to mention they are required to sell ALL of their inventory to the public. But you do have to wonder if perhaps APMEX is doing this right now since they are sitting on their inventory for apparently no reason, and they do have the staff and capacity to handle these.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!! image

Review - they arrived via next day guaranteed, signature required UPS delivery. They were very securely packaged in the "box within a box" format that is popular with most top coin dealers. A big difference in this case though was that the inside box had five individual bubble wrapped envelopes (each containing one puck, also labels on the front), taped to the inside of the second box. This was to keep them from moving, no doubt. Additionally, about 2 yards of bubble wrapped were covering the coins to further protect them in their already protected bubble envelope.

Each coin was in it's own HUGE plastic holder and fully secure. MTB knew what it was doing in waiting for these holders to be delivered!!!!

Quality of the coins - Overall, I am extremely impressed. Four of the five, under a 10x loupe, I couldn't find even the smallest ding, scratch etc. That's not to say I have MS 70's but I know I have very high quality. The other, Mt Hood is the same way on the obverse, with only the slightest scratch just above the peak of the mountain top on the reverse. If you didn't know better, you might think it was a small cloud rather than a small 1/4 inch max, scratch.

Overall, I'm guessing I have four MS 69's, if not a couple of 70's and likely one 67 or 68.

The packaging was so superior that I am going to only slightly reinforce it (some of the padded envelopes were slightly torn when the protective tape holding them in place was removed by me) in a very few cases, such as double or triple taping ends of the individual envelopes. The inner box is superior and I can reuse the six feet of bubble wrap to place the coins in when I submit them to PCGS (after the snowfall in the next day or two. I hope to get them on the way to PCGS by Friday.

BOTTOM LINE - IF YOU BOUGHT FROM MTB, I THINK YOU WILL BE VERY IMPRESSED AND A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! image

If anyone has the code numbers, etc. for PCGS submission for these pucks, I would appreciate it if you would post them here. image
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats tcmitssr!! Thanks for the reportimage
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!! image

Review - they arrived via next day guaranteed, signature required UPS delivery. They were very securely packaged in the "box within a box" format that is popular with most top coin dealers. A big difference in this case though was that the inside box had five individual bubble wrapped envelopes (each containing one puck, also labels on the front), taped to the inside of the second box. This was to keep them from moving, no doubt. Additionally, about 2 yards of bubble wrapped were covering the coins to further protect them in their already protected bubble envelope.

Each coin was in it's own HUGE plastic holder and fully secure. MTB knew what it was doing in waiting for these holders to be delivered!!!!

Quality of the coins - Overall, I am extremely impressed. Four of the five, under a 10x loupe, I couldn't find even the smallest ding, scratch etc. That's not to say I have MS 70's but I know I have very high quality. The other, Mt Hood is the same way on the obverse, with only the slightest scratch just above the peak of the mountain top on the reverse. If you didn't know better, you might think it was a small cloud rather than a small 1/4 inch max, scratch.

Overall, I'm guessing I have four MS 69's, if not a couple of 70's and likely one 67 or 68.

The packaging was so superior that I am going to only slightly reinforce it (some of the padded envelopes were slightly torn when the protective tape holding them in place was removed by me) in a very few cases, such as double or triple taping ends of the individual envelopes. The inner box is superior and I can reuse the six feet of bubble wrap to place the coins in when I submit them to PCGS (after the snowfall in the next day or two. I hope to get them on the way to PCGS by Friday.

BOTTOM LINE - IF YOU BOUGHT FROM MTB, I THINK YOU WILL BE VERY IMPRESSED AND A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! image

If anyone has the code numbers, etc. for PCGS submission for these pucks, I would appreciate it if you would post them here. image >>

505100 - 505104 for First Strike
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

If anyone has the code numbers, etc. for PCGS submission for these pucks, I would appreciate it if you would post them here. image >>

Congratulations! Now I am soooooooo much more looking forward to my coins from MTB
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a link to the codes:
    http://www.pcgsblog.com/jaime/news/do-you-like-the-appearance-of-the-5-oz-quarters-images-of-actual-coins#comments
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>Here is a link to the codes:
    http://www.pcgsblog.com/jaime/news/do-you-like-the-appearance-of-the-5-oz-quarters-images-of-actual-coins#comments >>

These are the PCGS Coin #’s for the 5 oz. Quarters.

MS Hot Springs Coin # 504965
    MS Yellowstone Coin # 504966
    MS Yosemite Coin # 504967
    MS Grand Canyon Coin # 504968
    MS Mount Hood Coin # 504969

MS First Strike Hot Springs Coin # 505105
    MS First Strike Yellowstone Coin # 505106
    MS First Strike Yosemite Coin # 505107
    MS First Strike Grand Canyon Coin # 505108
    MS First Strike Mount Hood Coin # 505109

• << <i>I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!! image >>

Congrats! Remember PCGS is typically stricter about their grading standards. Regardless of how they grade, congratulations!
  • Just got my "correspondence confirmation" email from Fidelitrade. Woot.

<< <i>Just got my "correspondence confirmation" email from Fidelitrade. Woot. >>

Just got mine as well. I was in the Fedex 10:30am batch.

• << <i>

<< <i>Just got my "correspondence confirmation" email from Fidelitrade. Woot. >>

Just got mine as well. I was in the Fedex 10:30am batch. >>

Gotta give Fidelitrade a hand for processing these so quickly.
  • While we have a lull in activity on this thread I would just like to drop a reminder to put in your guess for the "P" puck date of sale. If you do not recognize the names of some of the guessers then that date is still available.

The last guess was a collectors 1st post on the forum and obviously will be disqualified......

I'm sure a date announcement is coming up soon...

Rules are a few pages back....

"P" pucks
  • The people down the street turned out a few MS69s. 191 sets so far in MS69. The MS69 break down as posted right now:
    Hot Springs: 191
    Yellow Stone: 192
    Yosemite: 191
    Grand Canyon: 196
    Mount Hood: 194

<< <i>The people down the street turned out a few MS69s. 191 sets so far in MS69. The MS69 break down as posted right now:
    Mount Hood: 194 >>

Out of how many? Do you have a full pop report for at least one of the issues?

• << <i>The people down the street turned out a few MS69s. 191 sets so far in MS69. The MS69 break down as posted right now:

I'm in the NGC census and I can't find where these are located. Not under quarters and not under bullion. Any insights?
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Those are probably the cherry-picks from Gold Center's 3000
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>The people down the street turned out a few MS69s. 191 sets so far in MS69. The MS69 break down as posted right now:

I'm in the NGC census and I can't find where these are located. Not under quarters and not under bullion. Any insights? >>

HSN has 210 MS69 sets available, remember?
  • < The people down the street turned out a few MS69s. 191 sets so far in MS69. The MS69 break down as posted right now:

I'm in the NGC census and I can't find where these are located. Not under quarters and not under bullion. Any insights?
    ***************************************************************************************************

They were under the silver Eagles. Just went back and looked. They are gone.

Charlie.

Added Edit: They were almost all MS69. Why would they pull this?
    Charlie.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

How does GW look on the Yosemite? I have noticed that alot of them have a consistent spot on the cheek.
  • Attached is the screen shot. Had to get it below 50k.
    Its in Paint and reduced 25%. Do not know how to post it directly.

Charlie.

<< <i>Attached is the screen shot. Had to get it below 50k.

Charlie. >>

• sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    << I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!!

What shipping service is MTB using?
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

• << <i><< I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!!

What shipping service is MTB using? >>

UPS, signature required.
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the review!!

I think that I saw some pucks in hand on Ebay w/such envelopes. I was wondering where they came from.

You're thinking PCGS 69s and possibly 70s?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

Charlie. >>

image >>

Please forgive the stupid question....where are the grades on the screen shot. I don't see them.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Charlie. >>

image >>

Please forgive the stupid question....where are the grades on the screen shot. I don't see them. >>

From Right to left starting with MS70 (blank), MS69, MS68, etc...
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overall, I'm guessing I have four MS 69's, if not a couple of 70's and likely one 67 or 68.

BOTTOM LINE - IF YOU BOUGHT FROM MTB, I THINK YOU WILL BE VERY IMPRESSED AND A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! image >>

Pics, please. I thank you.
  • question....where are the grades on the screen shot. I don't see them.

The grades run across the top of the sheet. This is a large sheet (Silver Eagles) and this
    was the bottom of the sheet. In this case the last column on the right is 70. Count down
    as you move left. On the far left you can click where it is underlined (when logged into the
    site). That also opens the pop data. This was a screen shot for my reference. Been looking since
    the NGC MS69s surfaced.
  • Dillon Gage, New Notice:

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS:
    At this point we are unable to accept names or take orders for these coins. If more information becomes available, we will post it on this website. No phone calls, please.

Thank you for your understanding.

• << <i>question....where are the grades on the screen shot. I don't see them.

The grades run across the top of the sheet. This is a large sheet (Silver Eagles) and this
    was the bottom of the sheet. In this case the last column on the right is 70. Count down
    as you move left. On the far left you can click where it is underlined (when logged into the
    site). That also opens the pop data. This was a screen shot for my reference. Been looking since
    the NGC MS69s surfaced. >>

I don't know much about NGC, but that sheet doesn't make much sense to me either. There's a few of "GEM BU" sets on ebay, and I haven't seen any other grades apart from MS69. Do "GEM BU" grades not make it on to NGC's census?

<< <i>I don't know much about NGC, but that sheet doesn't make much sense to me either. There's a few of "GEM BU" sets on ebay, and I haven't seen any other grades apart from MS69. Do "GEM BU" grades not make it on to NGC's census? >>

There's no reason to track the population of ungraded coins...
  • Not a lot of differentiation in those grades. Either the submitted coins were cherrypicked or the grading is extremely lenient.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>Not a lot of differentiation in those grades. Either the submitted coins were cherrypicked or the grading is extremely lenient. >>

Are you trying to say that people wouldn't want to pay for grading if they felt the new coin will come back with a lower grade?

• << <i>

<< <i>Not a lot of differentiation in those grades. Either the submitted coins were cherrypicked or the grading is extremely lenient. >>

Are you trying to say that people wouldn't want to pay for grading if they felt the new coin will come back with a lower grade? >>

Yep, especially considering how much it costs to grade these.

I notice one of the Grand Canyon coins got an MS62 grade. That must've had a gouge in it.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Review - they arrived via next day guaranteed, signature required UPS delivery. >>

That's odd... I just re-checked my tracking information and they sent mine UPS Ground. And since I'm practically on the left coast, I won't see mine until Friday...
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Review - they arrived via next day guaranteed, signature required UPS delivery. >>

That's odd... I just re-checked my tracking information and they sent mine UPS Ground. And since I'm practically on the left coast, I won't see mine until Friday... >>

I am not sure when I will get mine from MTB but I am looking forward to it. Especially after hearing about the MTB packaging procedure.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

505100 - 505104 for First Strike >>

Would you be able to list each coin to the number for me, please?

<< <i>

<< <i>I got my hockey pucks from MTB!!!!!! image >>

Congrats! Remember PCGS is typically stricter about their grading standards. Regardless of how they grade, congratulations! >>

You're right but I'm VERY conservative in my grading of any coin I own. I'll be surprised if I get less than an MS 67 in any one of them.

<< <i>505100 - 505104 for First Strike

Would you be able to list each coin to the number for me, please? >>

Posted a couple pages back... From this link

These are the PCGS Coin #’s for the 5 oz. Quarters.

MS Hot Springs Coin # 504965
    MS Yellowstone Coin # 504966
    MS Yosemite Coin # 504967
    MS Grand Canyon Coin # 504968
    MS Mount Hood Coin # 504969

MS First Strike Hot Springs Coin # 505105
    MS First Strike Yellowstone Coin # 505106
    MS First Strike Yosemite Coin # 505107
    MS First Strike Grand Canyon Coin # 505108
    MS First Strike Mount Hood Coin # 505109

<< <i>

Thanks for the review!!

I think that I saw some pucks in hand on Ebay w/such envelopes. I was wondering where they came from.

You're thinking PCGS 69s and possibly 70s? >>

As conservative as I am in grading coins, especially my own, I still have to answer "yes," to your question. Mt. Hood because of the scratch/container mark is probably a 67 or 68 because the obverse is as flawless as the other four.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    so if you want a set of 69's, ngc is the place to go.

<< <i>

That's odd... I just re-checked my tracking information and they sent mine UPS Ground. And since I'm practically on the left coast, I won't see mine until Friday... >>

Perhaps for bank wire payment they provide next day delivery? I dunno otherwise.

• << <i>so if you want a set of 69's, ngc is the place to go. >>

It would appear so. I should have grades on mine from APMEX by the end of the week. At least 3 of the 5 looked MS69 to me.
    A puck in-hand auction just ended w/no bids at $2350....going down.

Has anyone been tracking the average price?

<< <i>question....where are the grades on the screen shot. I don't see them.

the NGC MS69s surfaced. >>

It looks like it's pretty easy to get an NGC 69 set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file