Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Which is what the other AP's are doing. They have done business with certain people for years and they have a system of taking care of their best customers first. The AP's are just following their normal procedures (per the owner of The Gold Center) >>

Do you think the Mint's intent in rewriting the rules was to allow an AP to sell 80% of their allotment to their best customers? >>

No, but that was the result. Remember, the road to he(( is paved with good intentions. People wanted these coins are were willing to pay A LOT for them. That was not fixed by the Mint's rules. All the Mint did was transfer the potential profit from the AP's to the AP's customers. As soon as they did that, it led to the AP's rewarding their best customers - which was within the Mint's rules. This was a cluster on many levels, and this slow, drawn out process has only made it worse. The Mint failed to write rules that forced the AP to open the flood gates - and probably did so to avoid any legal challenge, as the window to get these sold was closing fast.
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    I stopped at MTB today during my lunch break.
    They do not sell the ATB over the counter.

What a joke!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Newspaper reporter is very good and diligent and have had good results with her on other local items. I doubt that she "made up" the 500 or 600 number. However -- I was there and saw about 200 - 250 in line from 7am to 11am. >>

Was anybody watching the line at the back door????????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Shall we place bets on the ending price?

PCGS First Strike -Unknown Grades
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the only thing coins n things have left are empty boxesimage

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-5-OZ-OUNCE-EMPTY-CASE-ROLL-silver-/270687523330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f063bd202 >>

Bridgewater, MA, >>

WINNING BID $ 31 + $ 10 SHIPPING = $ 41 >>

I actually wanted this item, but forgot to bid, and checked in on it 10 minutes after it closed! $41 was cheaper than I expected it to go for, but there are quite a few of these boxes out there with 165,000 coins being made.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I stopped at MTB today during my lunch break.>>

<<They do not sell the ATB over the counter.>>

Hey Ciccio...just wondering...did MTB even answer their door today...or was there somebody sitting in the bulletproof glass booth in the lobby?

Yesterday, there were no employees visible at all. They would buzz in one person at a time to go down a hall and then take an elevator downstairs to their offices...at about 20-minute intervals.

It was being handled in such a rediculous fashion that it felt like the opening to the old Get Smart series!

As somebody remarked yesterday, they could have come out and handed everyone on line a number on a Post It pad...but then they might have sold a few more sets...and they wouldn't want to do that!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MTB has my DL number, not a copy...as the victim of identity theft involving a bogus version of my license about 5 years ago, I don't just let anyone make a copy of it.

And the person who committed that crime was a teller at my bank, who was making copies of licenses for "our protection" when making large transactions...and then selling the info to scammers.

Good stuff, no? >>

good stuff, yes.

this is established procedure for them. unlike a lone bank teller who breaks normal procedure. CC info was stolen via skimming at a local Cheesecake Factory. Should I refuse to give my CC info to anyone. My CC was stolen and used in Australia to buy food and booze. Should I refuse to use my CC?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i><<I stopped at MTB today during my lunch break.>>

Hey Ciccio...just wondering...did MTB even answer their door today...or was there somebody sitting in the bulletproof glass booth in the lobby?

Yesterday, there were no employees visible at all. They would buzz in one person at a time to go down a hall and then take an elevator downstairs to their offices...at about 20-minute intervals.

It was being handled in such a rediculous fashion that it felt like the opening to the old Get Smart series!

As somebody remarked yesterday, they could have come out and handed everyone on line a number on a Post It pad...but then they might have sold a few more sets...and they wouldn't want to do that! >>

I can't believe they didn't plan for this event.

However, that is what appears to havwe happened.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    By all accounts, at least the Gold Center seems to have allowed a triple digit number of sets out the front door...

MTB made it to approx. 30 and then their brains exploded.
    obviously unprepared.

I'm surprised they didn't learn way back on December 5 or whatever day the Mint did the first release. They had to know it'd be crazy.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>obviously unprepared.

I'm surprised they didn't learn way back on December 5 or whatever day the Mint did the first release. They had to know it'd be crazy. >>

They know exactly what theyre doing...it seems like they are trying to wear down those waiting in their lobby...that's also the comment i heared from those who waited for a long time yesterday.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Swear I was the only goyim on line at MTB yesterday.....
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the only thing coins n things have left are empty boxesimage

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-5-OZ-OUNCE-EMPTY-CASE-ROLL-silver-/270687523330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f063bd202 >>

Bridgewater, MA, >>

WINNING BID $ 31 + $ 10 SHIPPING = $ 41 >>

I actually wanted this item, but forgot to bid, and checked in on it 10 minutes after it closed! $41 was cheaper than I expected it to go for, but there are quite a few of these boxes out there with 165,000 coins being made. >>

So how many AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-5-OZ-OUNCE coins would have come in that box?
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Swear I was the only goyim on line at MTB yesterday..... >>

whats a goyim?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • The greed of this whole thing is just making me sad. I really do not think they are going to give many at all to the public, maybe just a crumb!

• just received email from mtb...we have received your form..your order is confirmed.....please mail check for $930.00 to...xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    <<Swear I was the only goyim on line at MTB yesterday.....>>

Oy-vey...

But to be fair...so as not to make the people here think that an ultra-Orthodox led riot erupted, leading to MTB shutting down sales, I think at the peak there were maybe 30-40 men (and 2 women) total in line. So it essentially looked like a diamond cutters convention!

And EVERYONE had I-phones and frequently were calling inside to make sure they weren't taking phone orders while we were standing outside like idiots...HA HA HA...NOT!!!

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By all accounts, at least the Gold Center seems to have allowed a triple digit number of sets out the front door...

MTB made it to approx. 30 and then their brains exploded. >>

APMEX is one of the hardest to explain...they clearly have the retail operation, the packaging and the coins - for weeks! Explain that!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

As somebody remarked yesterday, they could have come out and handed everyone on line a number on a Post It pad...but then they might have sold a few more sets...and they wouldn't want to do that! >>

I didn't see anyone. The room behind the bulletproof was empty. I saw the sign and thought it wasn't worth it to ask more info.
    I don't understand how they can prefer the back and forth of phone calls, emails and faxes instead of making a quick sale in their store.

<< <i>just received email from mtb...we have received your form..your order is confirmed.....please mail check for $930.00 to...xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx >>

Man they're slow getting them out. Still no confirmation for me or some friends...
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    And what of Fidelitrade?

Beginning of last week the word from Ftrade was something would happen with the pucks "End of this week or beginning of next week."

Well - we're two days into next week!

<< <i>Shall we place bets on the ending price?

PCGS First Strike -Unknown Grades >>

I was wondering when the first of these would appear.

I figured that the sellers, esp. w/one set, would wait for grades first. If this seller gets a 70 (unlikely I think) he/she may be selling cheap. My guess, around $4100.

The price of ignorance is on display once again. Obviously the current bidder could just as easily buy the cheapest BIN or auction and, for around $300 more have the exact same thing by grading him/her self.

I'm told by PCGS that my FS set should arrive back to me in around 5 days. It will be interesting to see what the first PCGS FS sets in hand bring.

Finally, the APMEX sets did seem to be treated w/some TLC. How do the Gold Center coins look? APMEX is used to dealing w/numismatic coins unlike many others. Will the APMEX coins be the best?
    <<I didn't see anyone. The room behind the bulletproof was empty. I saw the sign and thought it wasn't worth it to ask more info.>>
    <<I don't understand how they can prefer the back and forth of phone calls, emails and faxes instead of making a quick sale in their store. >>

For those not familiar with MTB's physical office layout, let me provide some insight in what was going on here...

They are in a secure building in the heart of NYC's financial district, with hordes of cops, soldiers, cameras and blast barriers located throughout the area.

Their exterior office door opens right onto the building's main lobby...so you don't even have to get buzzed past security or sign in with a guard (who faces right into their space). Once inside MTB's outer doors, they have a bulletproof glass booth with a safe and two slots to accept payment and receive product. It's actually perfect for OTC cash sales.

But no, instead they chose to buzz people into their inner sanctum one at a time...at 20-30 minute intervals.

So you go figure out what was going on there yesterday...AND WHY?
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Swear I was the only goyim on line at MTB yesterday..... >>

Funny. I haven't heard that term used in over 20 years.

<< <i>And what of Fidelitrade?

Beginning of last week the word from Ftrade was something would happen with the pucks "End of this week or beginning of next week."

Well - we're two days into next week! >>

As of today, they were saying that email will start going out on Monday. How will the FTrade experience be???
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

As of today, they were saying that email will start going out on Monday. How will the FTrade experience be??? >>

You mean next Monday?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins have become TAINTED in my way of thinking. I won't be spending any money on this batch.

Maybe when they sell some as bullion, but not as a coin investment - never. There's no point in buying after the fix is in. Puck them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Puck them >>

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. The lot of 'em can go puck themselves.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Pretty cheap at Apmex!

Is Fidelitrade taking names?
    <<How will the FTrade experience be??? >>

Oh yeah, we already got the "FTrade experience" yesterday courtesy of MTB...

As I said previously, you ever feel like the guy holding the soap at Sing Sing?!?

<< <i><<Swear I was the only goyim on line at MTB yesterday.....>>

Oy-vey...

But to be fair...so as not to make the people here think that an ultra-Orthodox led riot erupted, leading to MTB shutting down sales, I think at the peak there were maybe 30-40 men (and 2 women) total in line. So it essentially looked like a diamond cutters convention!

And EVERYONE had I-phones and frequently were calling inside to make sure they weren't taking phone orders while we were standing outside like idiots...HA HA HA...NOT!!! >>

Calling AND waiting in line. I know. they were really taking phone and e-mail orders. But, doing both doesn't help either.

<<Calling AND waiting in line. I know. they were really taking phone and e-mail orders. But, doing both doesn't help either.>>

You're telling me?!? Right now I'm the poster child for s*** out of luck!

• << <i>Pretty cheap at Apmex! >>

image I'm a tad bit upset that APMEX is sitting on these coins and not selling to established customers (or any customers).

I have done a lot of business with APMEX in the last few years and them holding these is getting old. Whether I get a set or not - sell them! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Pretty cheap at Apmex! >>

image I'm a tad bit upset that APMEX is sitting on these coins and not selling to established customers (or any customers).

I have done a lot of business with APMEX in the last few years and them holding these is getting old. Whether I get a set or not - sell them! image >>

I don't understand it either. They have the sets and the best way to sell them among all the APs.
    Something is fishy in Oklahoma!

<< <i>Pretty cheap at Apmex!

image >>

:
    I just got their email notification, sold my house and bought 25 sets. EBAY, here I come!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

As of today, they were saying that email will start going out on Monday. How will the FTrade experience be??? >>

You mean next Monday? >>

Yes.
  • I think FTrade also requires paperwork to set up an account. A link to this form was referenced in some coin blog I was reading.

http://www.fidelitrade.com/UploadedFiles/forms/Account%20Opening%20Form2010-1112.pdf
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Another form that wants a SSN.

Are these guys trying to steal identities, too? Put up roadblocks?

And so another form gets faxed off to Fidelitrade...

So...does APMEX also have a form that we should be aware of?

I filled out their initial contact info a few weeks back and they later contacted me...but there was no account form mentioned at that time (ditto for Dillon Gage).
  • Regarding Gold Center:

One of my other Uncles went in to buy a set right before 2pm and was told personally that they only have about 30 of the 600 left.

He then pointed to the white boxes sitting behind which totaled around 30.

My sister did estimate that in the morning there were about 350 people there in line before she left.

I do not think it is a stretch that they sold 600 sets on Monday.
    Just curious. Has any other U.S. Coin or Coin Set rocketed in price like the America The Beautiful 5 oz Silver Sets?

Coin Vault $3999, HSN $4799, Chattanooga Coin Inc. $3989, and now Jim Hausman - Owner of The Gold Center calling for $15,000 - $20,000/set valuations.

IMHO, EBAY Flippers need to hold on to their sets and drive the prices even higher. How High Can They Fly?
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Watch the population reports from the grading services as they are updated, it will tell you a lot about what is actually going onimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious. Has any other U.S. Coin or Coin Set rocketed in price like the America The Beautiful 5 oz Silver Sets?

Coin Vault $3999, HSN $4799, Chattanooga Coin Inc. $3989, and now Jim Hausman - Owner of The Gold Center calling for $15,000 - $20,000/set valuations.

IMHO, EBAY Flippers need to hold on to their sets and drive the prices even higher. How High Can They Fly?
    >>

Sure, other items have gone to the moon. The Reverse proofs (both gold and silver) went crazy. I bought 13 sets of the gold and sold the raw sets for up to 5500. I sold single graded reverse proofs for up to 6000 when gold was 800 per ounce.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    No order conf. from MTB yet.

anyone else not receive theirs?
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I offer an update, in regards to MTB and its sales of the hockey pucks. Please don't shoot the messenger and keep in mind that I am repeating, unverified, what I was told with (such as with most things) the truth likely being found someplace along the proverbial "middle of the line/road."

I spoke with my salesperson there today. I did, indeed, receive a sales confirmation yesterday and I did pay for the pucks today, into my newly created MTB account by bank wire. It may well be that I am the only person on the PCGS board to receive a sales confirmation as of now but it's highly unlikely that I am the only one to receive one out of the orders they received yesterday.

Let me preface things here by saying I bugged the bejeebers out of my salesperson yesterday. In fact, I was a first class PITA. I received the name of the C.E.O. today and I will be emailing him a highly complimentary letter about my salesman by early afternoon tomorrow. The man deserved it. I really kept on him and asked him, very nicely yet firm and politely, to go the extra mile for me.

Now....the rest of the story. MTB, I was told, has temporarily suspended sales until they get somewhat caught up with yesterday's paperwork. It appears that apart from severe market days, of which we have had our fair share in the last couple of years, yesterday was the worst of the "non-crash" days that they had. According to MTB sources, while they expected a rush; they got a stampede they were not ready or equipped to handle. Their fax/e-mail/phone systems were challenged to the max. They said they took as many orders as a human could and I, for one, believe them. As soon as a good number of the orders yesterday are processed, they will resume sales and send confirmation of sale letters out. It's a choice between processing as many orders as they have or keep taking orders and adding to the backlog. Those who got orders in yesterday would like confirmations, while those who couldn't get them in...want them reopened. They've chosen to fix their system and process the orders in hand as much as possible in the anticipation of reopening sales asap.

As for the OTC sales yesterday. From what I was told it was a debacle and they know it. Less than 1 percent of their total business is OTC and they usually just barely handle that. Hundreds of people showing up yesterday overwhelmed their already allocated human resources. Plus, they appear to have figured out that there may have been ringers in the OTC sales line and they did not want to challenge them, or reward unknown sources, with multiple orders. They were trying to keep to the actual letter and spirit of the Mint rules. Again, don't shoot the messenger. I wasn't there and I don't know what happened. I trust the people I have spoken with but they were not in a lobby either, I don't think, and they are giving their own second hand opinions. I don't think, but I am not sure, that they will resume OTC sales of the pucks as a result of what occurred yesterday.

It's easy for me, with order in hand; paid and waiting for my pucks, to say MTB are "good guys." However, I really think they are. The company may have made errors but most of the human beings involved did the very best they could. They want to sell the pucks and they want to sell out asap, but according to the rules in effect.

Several people spent today just processing yesterday's paperwork (orders) as well as e-mails/faxes/etc. received. I don't know when anyone here will receive a confirmation e-mail but I trust they will be forthcoming asap. Today, people were picking up their phones on one or two rings. If you spoke with someone by name yesterday, you may want to try calling them tomorrow or Thursday and see where you stand and what they want you to do.

No one told me they preferred a check as opposed to a direct wire bank transfer. Yes, I paid a few bucks for it, but my money is in by tomorrow morning and I don't have to wait 17 days for my personal or bank check to clear. If they start sending out pucks in one to two weeks, I'll likely be near the head of the pack, big deal, for what it's worth as the salespeople are not picking out/packaging the coins. It's a crap-shoot as to who gets which ones quality-wise. I am though near the head of the line because I did go the bank wire transfer route and my salesman was perfectly happy that I did that.

There may be better ways to sell these things than any AP has yet done. However, these are instant rarities and MTB realizes it and, IMHO, is doing it's very best to serve new customers and make as good an impression for future business as possible. Still, not everyone will always be happy and I understand that. I know it's easy for me to say it as well. Again, please keep the messenger out of the cross-hairs, I'm only trying to relieve the tension of many who have PM'd or emailed me about my experience and asked for my opinions and/or suggestions.

....and so it goes. I hope this helps as many people as possible and please keep in mind that the opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.

All my best, as always. image

Edited to add....some in MTB think that the total number of those wanting to order one set relative to those trying to order that same one set is somewhere between 5-10 to 1. I don't think that includes those trying to game the system either by getting extra sets. These appear to have the legs, IMHO, of becoming instant rarities along the likes of the Jackie Robinson and some of the other, now very expensive, modern commems....particularly since this may be the only set done that is 3 inches as the Mint Director now has the authority to reduce future coins to 2.5 inches. If there are 33,000 sets and somewhere between 165,000 and 333,000 (not accounting for greedy and unscrupulous people trying for multiple sets to flip).....these numbers become staggering, IMHO.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I didn't see anyone. The room behind the bulletproof was empty. I saw the sign and thought it wasn't worth it to ask more info.
    I don't understand how they can prefer the back and forth of phone calls, emails and faxes instead of making a quick sale in their store. >>

For some reason the imagery reminds me of an old cartoon strip, "Funky Winkerbean," where the title character was a hall monitor at his local high school. He would sit in the hall at a typical school desk with a .50 caliber water-cooled machine gun on it....

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>No order conf. from MTB yet.

anyone else not receive theirs? >>

I did not nor did my friend who ordered a set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file