Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<11,000 >>

Silver's going to $11,000?!? Now that WOULD be impressive!

• Options
    Next stop $50
  • Options
    Here is a link to a site that has silver price history charts inlcuding a 20 year chart. The high in the early 80's was apparently from a price fix scandal? I didn't know anything about that but thought the charts were worth looking at.

Silver history

Even better, a 34 year chart at the bottom.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The price fix scandle was the Hunt brothers from Texas cornering the market to drive up prices. They were discovered and the whole thing collapsed when they got caught in a margin squeeze. A lot of ordinary folks got burned trying to get on the bandwagon when the price collapsed.
    The inportant reminder from this last chart is that basically silver went from $50 to $5 an ounce in less than a year at that time.
    Big upswings can be followed by big downswings at any time and when least suspected.
    Hopefully that will not happen now or in the future.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    the whole thing collapsed when they got caught in a (Government sponsored) margin squeeze
  • Options
    Even if silver does collapase, I don't think it will influence the value of the ATB coins much anwyays since we're all collecting them for their collectability and not their silver content. image So these are still an awesome investment.
  • Options
    6 sets graded and still cant put a 69 DMPL set together just 1 69pl set out of 6 sets.Did have (17) 69`s (9)68`s (3) 67 (1)65 (12) DMPL`s (16) PL so they were some great grades just didn`t make good sets. I have 1 MTB set at PCGS and had to buy another fidelatrade to try and fill up some sets. If this doesn`t work we will have to set up some trades. Good luck on your grades
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Two DMPL69 Hot Springs sold for $776 and $745 each on eBay last night.

Not the most popular of the series. A Yosemite would go for much higher. >>

A Yellowstone MS69DMPL sold on eBay yesterday! image >>

Nice going!
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>I am going to Yosemite in two weeks...maybe I'll find some of these coins just lying around on the ground! >>

good luck with that, hope the snow clears. I think they have had about 10-12 FEET of snow in the last 3-4 days, and more on the way. It is certainly worth trying...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am going to Yosemite in two weeks...maybe I'll find some of these coins just lying around on the ground! >>

good luck with that, hope the snow clears. I think they have had about 10-12 FEET of snow in the last 3-4 days, and more on the way. It is certainly worth trying... >>

Yep, bought tire chains this morning but maybe I need a snow plow. I am taking my Yosemite coin in the hope of getting some artistic photos. Not sure if anything will turn out but worth a try.
  • Options
    NGC has graded 5 AU58's out of all the pucks submitted.....If you relate that to Morgans the 58's usually look much better than the 60-61's......I would love to see a 58 next to a 60 to see the distinction since I doubt the 58 was "circulated" very much

Has PCGS graded any 58's???

Another oddity.....They have graded 3 times more 65's than 66/67/68 COMBINED.....(consistent for all 5 issues)
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Why would anybody that knows anything at all about coins send them in for grading if they look that bad? Are they just plain crazy or am I

missing something something here?
  • Options

<< <i>Why would anybody that knows anything at all about coins send them in for grading if they look that bad? Are they just plain crazy or am I

missing something something here? >>

I just NEED to see a 58-60 next to each other......

...oh BTW, there were 59 graded MS60!!!!!

I would think anyone that does not need a guide dog to get around town could tell that any of those 59 were not going to take top honors in slabdom
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'd guess it's lots of new submitters rolling the dice, but I'd still like to see pics of those 62's.
  • Options
    I knew these fidelitrades were not going to grade well but sent to PCGS to get the DM's in hopes those might offset the loss. In selling them on the Bay I now have everything up front. I guess I want to have no issues when I sell these. To me selling a banged up raw fidelitrade set is asking for trouble. Maybe I'm wrong though. Felt these were pretty banged up. Not sure what the heck a 58 would look like though. Geez.

Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66DM
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS64PL
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67DM
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would anybody that knows anything at all about coins send them in for grading if they look that bad? Are they just plain crazy or am I missing something something here? >>

They may have been from some of the bulk submissions. But on the other hand, one would think that most of the bulk submissions would have been from dealers who would have pre-screened them for quality. Maybe they were submissions from inexperienced flippers???

All of my subs have been 68 or 69, with only two 67s - and the 67s were deeeeeeeeep DMPLs...
  • Options

I have 8 free submissions coming to me and am waiting for my coins from CnT to arrive so I can see which coins are the best ones to send in. I

have 10 coins ( 15 when these arrive) to choose from now but maybe the one's coming will look even better, we shall see. There is no hurry

as these will just increase in value with age. The AMARK coins I had graded were all 68 and 69 PL's and DM's so those were great and I am

hoping for more of the same from my new submission when I make it. The 7 that are left over I will evaluate and see if any qualify for another

submission.
  • Options
    For the newbies here including myself, any help would be appreciated on guidelines for submission. Other than a scratch, dings, rim issues is there anything else to consider when deciding to submit or not? A few days ago the post on PL, DM etc was very helpful. What about die polish...will acetone take that off? Thanks in advance.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    don't these guys charge about $1100 a set? Aren't these selling $1300+ a set right now? Who is going to beat theirbrains out to make a couple hundres bucks?
    link
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about die polish...will acetone take that off? >>

Die polish is not a substance that can be taken off. It is the result of polishing the dies and shows up on the struck coin as minute, parallel raised lines. On these pucks, it is easiest seen on the portrait of George Washington on the obverse and tends to "dull" the highly reflective appearance. You'll know it when you see it.

• Options
    Thanks, that is very helpful. So, if a puck has that should you not submit it?
  • Options

<< <i>don't these guys charge about $1100 a set? Aren't these selling $1300+ a set right now? Who is going to beat theirbrains out to make a couple hundres bucks?
    link >>

Don't forget the $160-180 in silver coins that they include with the pucks to get it to $1100 for tax purposes...
  • Options

CnT is very easy to deal with. They do not require all the forms to be filled out that the others do and with the price of silver where it is how

can you lose. Good luck on getting through though as it is phone calls only.
  • Options
    Don't forget the $160-180 in silver coins that they include with the pucks to get it to $1100 for tax purposes...

What does this mean?
  • Options
    They are including $6 in silver coins to make up for the tax loophold massachusetts has to avoid sales tax which is $1100. In reality they are only charging around $940 for the set by throwing in the extra silver.

By the way their phone # is 508 697 9600.
  • Options

<< <i>don't these guys charge about $1100 a set? Aren't these selling $1300+ a set right now? Who is going to beat theirbrains out to make a couple hundres bucks?
    link >>

Well if one of those coins turns out to be a 69DMPL the whole set is paid for pretty much. Thus getting a minimum $300 for the other coins you would clear around $1,000 profit.

Plus you get all the excitement of waiting to see what you get =)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

link >>

Well if one of those coins turns out to be a 69DMPL the whole set is paid for pretty much. Thus getting a minimum $300 for the other coins you would clear around $1,000 profit.

Plus you get all the excitement of waiting to see what you get =) >>

Plus who is to say someone is going to flip. All 5 of my sets I am sitting on for 5 to 10 years.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    << Why would anybody that knows anything at all about coins send them in for grading if they look that bad? Are they just plain crazy or am I missing something something here? >>

Well I am def a noob and since I plan on holding all 5 of my sets for 5 to 10 years I was worried about storage. So I figured them encapsulated by PCGS would help preserve them. I plan on taking the 3 sets I sent in for grading plus the 2 ungraded Amark sets and putting them in my safe for awhile. Should my next step be to order some interceptshield stuff to inclose them in?

In hindsight on spending so much to get them all graded was a mistake. I clearly had a couple from each set that shouldn't have been sent in and I hadn't originally planned on sending them in when PCGS was strictly grading standard. But when they changed their grading methods I guess I got caught up in the PL, DM, and DMPL hysteria.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Jack Hunt just opened the floodgates: www.jackhuntatb.com
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jack Hunt just opened the floodgates: www.jackhuntatb.com >>

Jack Hunt Coin Broker is now accepting orders for the 2010 America the Beautiful 5 oz. silver coins. Please visit www.jackhuntatb.com to place your order. woohooo 949.00 Well maybe just one more lol good luck all image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thanks, order # 8x
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Jack Hunt Coin Broker Inc - New Order

YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN SUBMITTED
    Item Description Quantity Unit Price Total
    America The Beautiful 1 $860.20 $860.20
    ORDER NUMBER #xx
    Subtotal: $860.20
    Shipping: $88.80

ORDER TOTAL: $949.00

Double digit order number. Woohoo!!!
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Almost $90 for shipping.... whats up, do we get any extra goodies for that damage?
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost $90 for shipping.... whats up, do we get any extra goodies for that damage? >>

NY Sales tax brings it up to a total of $1032.04

I have my order form here to submit.... not so sure I will.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Jeeeez. $138 S&H to Alaska?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I'm going for it. $949 total with $88.80 of it for shipping to Iowa.
  • Options
    I want to order from JackHunt.. I really do.. but Until they reply to my email about how the coins will be shipped, I will not be placing an order.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll skip the Jack Hunt lottery...which of course means they'll all be 69DPL+!!!

Right now I'm sitting on four solid sets from 3 different APs...so I'll stop when I'm ahead.

However, I am saving my pennies for a couple of the Mint special edition sets.
  • Options

<< <i>I want to order from JackHunt.. I really do.. but Until they reply to my email about how the coins will be shipped, I will not be placing an order. >>

For the folks who have ordered, was there any indication about how the coins will be packaged?

I'd personally be jumping on these if not for finance reasons, but if I find out they're PCGS FS I'm going to be slapping myself for not scraping the pennies together!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $949 divided by 25 ounces of "scrap" silver equals $37.96 an ounce.

At current pricing that is less than a dollar an ounce premium.

I DO NOT currently see a downside to this offer, rerardless of the condition of the set.

Thank you for the heads up gang!!!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>$949 divided by 25 ounces of "scrap" silver equals $37.96 an ounce.

I DO NOT currently see a downside to this offer, rerardless of the condition of the set.

Miles >>

The downside is not having $$$ for when the Mint sells the numismatic version for those people on a cash flow crunch like myself and most others.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

For the folks who have ordered, was there any indication about how the coins will be packaged?

>>

Item #10 in the terms just says "carefully packaged and shipped via Fedex."
  • Options

Miles >>

lol Miles that was the first thing I did before ordering was calculate the price per ounce.

I guess I will have to hold off on ordering my AR15 for another month................doh

• Options
    As per the United States Mint,America the beautiful coins are in no way represented as numismatic material. All coins are sold as bullion and shipped exactly as they were received from the United States Mint. Some coins may have minor imperfections. All sales are final.Coins will be carefully packaged and shipped fed ex ground image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    You guys are the best - I've got an order in first hundred

Agree with Miles - do not see much downside at current melt levels if you have spare $1K
  • Options

I ordered a set, now I have to get a money order. It would have been so much easier to do a check.
  • Options

<< <i>

Miles >>

The downside is not having $$$ for when the Mint sells the numismatic version for those people on a cash flow crunch like myself and most others. >>

With the mint you can put it on your credit card.
  • Options

<< <i>I ordered a set, now I have to get a money order. It would have been so much easier to do a check. >>

Just looked it up cost 1.50 for money order from post office. I don't think I am going to overnight, it says you must get it there within one week of ordering so I am just going to ship in the priority mail package for 4.95image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    Ended up pulling the trigger...knew I'd probably regret it otherwise....order in the high 200s.
  • Options

That is what I am going to do also. It will get there monday anyway and I doubt if anybody will be there on the weekend anyway. Time to put some more silver eagles on ebay I guess to pay for one more set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file