Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    Decided to buy a MTB set. I have been looking to add some silver and this is cheaper than the price generic rounds are selling for on eBay - and just $2/oz higher than the price at my local B&M.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Ok, I'll take the 100 sets for 1025...image

Where's a link to this fire sale, I can't find it which is odd...Thximage
  • Options
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    still 71 available
    auction # 300540857982

Still 1 to a person though
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some people about to 'win' auctions on eBay that are going to be very unhappy with the $200+ premium they just paid over the MTB offering...
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some people about to 'win' auctions on eBay that are going to be very unhappy with the $200+ premium they just paid over the MTB offering... >>

Yes that is what I am thinking too, plus all the sellers who have listed them are now having to compete with these guys. I really don't think this is a good thing to be seeing. If there allowed to sell directly on ebay The flipping game is over..........image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are some people about to 'win' auctions on eBay that are going to be very unhappy with the $200+ premium they just paid over the MTB offering... >>

Yes that is what I am thinking too, plus all the sellers who have listed them are now having to compete with these guys. I really don't think this is a good thing to be seeing. If there allowed to sell directly on ebay The flipping game is over..........image >>

Yeah, no kidding, MTB is going to kill the individual $1300 flips this weekend.

At least now we can get to the beginning of the end of the puck glut.

And what's up with MTB's $1025 ebay price? I recall sending 'em a check for $930 back in Jan, 2011.

I bet Apmex turns on their puck sales next week.
  • Options

63 sets to go

Most people wont even know about this and they will be gone before they do. I agree it is a bad precedent but this may not be a bad thing.

Everybody is unloading their stock right now to get to the 2011's and we all knew there were 33,000 of these sets to be sold so the sooner

they are all gone the prices will stabilize and we will know where we stand.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>63 sets to go

Most people wont even know about this and they will be gone before they do. I agree it is a bad precedent but this may not be a bad thing.

Everybody is unloading their stock right now to get to the 2011's and we all knew there were 33,000 of these sets to be sold so the sooner

they are all gone the prices will stabilize and we will know where we stand. >>

I see this as a problem for the future flipping, face it ampex has been hanging on to these because he is pissed off at anyone making money off them, as was the same attitude for the gold centers jim, if they now see they can sell these directly on ebay, than the future flipping game is done. Yes the 100 sets today may slip by unnoticed but the future releases will now be affected by this. Mostly if they decide why not just start off selling on ebay instead of there own websites? oh boy here we goooooooooooimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a set from the eBay fire sale. Each puck is only $18 over melt. Too cheap not to buy.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought a set from the eBay fire sale. Each puck is only $18 over melt. Too cheap not to buy. >>

Me too, only 50 left.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>63 sets to go

they are all gone the prices will stabilize and we will know where we stand. >>

I see this as a problem for the future flipping, face it ampex has been hanging on to these because he is pissed off at anyone making money off them, as was the same attitude for the gold centers jim, if they now see they can sell these directly on ebay, than the future flipping game is done. Yes the 100 sets today may slip by unnoticed but the future releases will now be affected by this. Mostly if they decide why not just start off selling on ebay instead of there own websites? oh boy here we goooooooooooimage >>

Who is going to benefit from this will be the holders of the 33,000 sets from 2010 as the 2011's will be more available and widely distributed

making the 2010's more valuable because of the low mintage. Look at the bright side, I am.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here or is my math wrong. You can still order from Jack Hunt for $949.00 which was less than $1025 when I went to

school even though that was almost 60 years ago.

Edited to add:

BUY BOTH IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY!
  • Options
    OK had to pull the trigger on the MTB fire sale. 4 sets is enough....I hope. I just think as a silver investment this beats other forms of bullion one can invest in. I really think that these will have much more room to climb than the 40 oz of generic silver rounds I will sell today to buy this newest set.
    Thanks again folks for all the good information.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Impromptu Question - Will you be buying the same number of 5-coin sets in 2011 that you did in 2010?

If not, what makes you think that the total number of sets sold in 2011 will exceed the 33,000 sets sold in 2010?

Just stirring the pot..... >>

This is THE question. The only way that future issues sell more than 33K is if they mint a LOT of them so that there is no numismatic premium, silver demand stays high and they're sold and treated just a bullion as was the original intention. If this happens, they may well sell tons as is the case with business strike ASEs. 5 o.z. pucks are a great way to buy silver as they are easier to store than 5x the number of ASEs and should be sold at a lower per oz premium (i.e., one of the main reasons for their being issued.)

Of course, if these turn into strictly bullion - again the original intention - will they have a collector base or will there only be one for the P version?

I collect Proof and W Unc Buffs, not the business strike. Same for the ASEs and plats. I think that a lot of folks do the same.

I've thought about this often. There is a part of me that says that I should have sold ALL of my 2010 pucks - both graded and raw - for this very reason. In time there may be NO collector base for these business strikes. Who knows? What is the collector base for the business strike Buffs and ASEs?

Thanks for bringing it up.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I missing something here or is my math wrong. You can still order from Jack Hunt for $949.00 which was less than $1025 when I went to

Edited to add:

BUY BOTH IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY! >>

Ease of paypal vs having to send a money order I suppose. That and with Mr Rebates you get $30 back, add eBay bucks as well.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>My order # is between 1,250 and 1,299, do you guys think I have a shot?

What number of Coins does everyone think he has in stock? >>

He should have about 3700 IF none have gone out the back door.

I have to say, that other than the forever wait to sell, JH has done a fantastic job selling! No forms, no phone, no B.S.

Edited to add, I don't begrudge the forms of the other APs. I'm sure that they felt them necessary for compliance. It's the CNT and Pru phone B.S. and, worst of all TGC that really ticked me off. BTW, where are the rest of the APMEX sets?? I was one of the lucky first few to get them. I raved about the great packaging, etc. But where are the rest??
  • Options

At the very least you have the silver value. If silver stays at or above current levels, what do you have to lose? Especially if you are buying silver anyway.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, if these turn into strictly bullion - again the original intention - will they have a collector base or will there only be one for the P version? >>

I still feel that after we finally get a chance to see the "P" versions, that the quality (PL/DMPL) bullion versions will be more desirable than the "blasted" Uncs from the mint. Maybe it's just me, but that's my 25 cent pucks worth...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes that is what I am thinking too, plus all the sellers who have listed them are now having to compete with these guys. I really don't think this is a good thing to be seeing. If there allowed to sell directly on ebay The flipping game is over..........image >>

Yeah, no kidding, MTB is going to kill the individual $1300 flips this weekend.

At least now we can get to the beginning of the end of the puck glut.

And what's up with MTB's $1025 ebay price? I recall sending 'em a check for $930 back in Jan, 2011.

I bet Apmex turns on their puck sales next week. >>

Ebay fees.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course, if these turn into strictly bullion - again the original intention - will they have a collector base or will there only be one for the P version? >>

I still feel that after we finally get a chance to see the "P" versions, that the quality (PL/DMPL) bullion versions will be more desirable than the "blasted" Uncs from the mint. Maybe it's just me, but that's my 25 cent pucks worth... >>

That is a great point!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Am I missing something here or is my math wrong. You can still order from Jack Hunt for $949.00 which was less than $1025 when I went to

Edited to add:

I don't get it either.....Jack Hunt is letting you fill out as many forms as you have relatives and $3/ounce cheaper
    ...................................Fidelitrade still has sets for sale and is cheaper than JH

Why the jump on the MTB sets??? Don't want to spend $1.50 for a MO???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I still feel that after we finally get a chance to see the "P" versions, that the quality (PL/DMPL) bullion versions will be more desirable than the "blasted" Uncs from the mint. Maybe it's just me, but that's my 25 cent pucks worth... >>

That is a great point! >>

You will just not have the proof like appearance, it will look like an uncirculated version which is not nearly as desirable in my opinion, but you

know what they say about opinions----
  • Options
    The MTB deal is NOT available if you already purchased a set from them.....
  • Options
    This has been a real hassle for the AP's (being able to only sell 1 set to a customer) as they only have a short list of people for them to sell to and nobody will be happier to see all these sold then they are.

Only 30 out of 100 left to go and these are all being ordered from people that have not bought from MBT which will give them more prospects for the 2011's.
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    MTB selling sets on ebay for $1025 makes sense....look read the BST boards....everyone prices with ebay + paypal fees in mind....

JHunt set in HAND...they did a really nice job of wrapping the pucks up....sort of like AMark....outer box....packing material....taped sealed inner box with the 5 pucks ....each in a sealed bubble wrap marked envelope....sorry no pics...but you get the point

they also included a note that read as follows....

....it should be noted that the USM ships these 5oz coins in tubes of ten resulting in occasional imperfections completely out of our control. Please remember these coins are sold as bullion, not as numismatic pieces.....

only one of the APs who did this....and i bought from them all!!!!

oh....before i get 10 replies how did you get them...i went to their location yesterday afternoon and asked if i could buy one....they were very friendly and helpful and no they did not knock off the shipping fee...it is what they are making on the deal....no prob with that....they have to live to right???

they have 3 huge stacks of boxes ready to ship...so it appears they are ready to ship as soon as they get paid and process...

as far as quality....they were nice some looked PL some not....look its a gamble...again...i bought from them all MTB AMARK APMEX FIDEL DG....NO ONE AP was better than the OTHER....some good some bad....

life is a box of chocolates...right forest!!!!!

one last point....never lost money on these pucks....never made a huge killing either....so...if you want to play the game keep playing....if not don't....

jmho

gyros
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Edited to add:

I don't get it either.....Jack Hunt is letting you fill out as many forms as you have relatives and $3/ounce cheaper
    ...................................Fidelitrade still has sets for sale and is cheaper than JH

Why the jump on the MTB sets??? Don't want to spend $1.50 for a MO??? >>

Well, there is the chance that by ordering with JackHunt you're going to have to wait 6 weeks to get your order which is going to put you to May 1st...MTB's may ship and be in hand quicker...
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

MTB STOLE MY PICTURE!!! I created the picture MTB is using for their listing... I can tell because of the white dot between the center coin and the Yosemite. I should ask for a discount..
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    Since we're looking into the future what happens if the Mint pulls the plug on the UNC versions which they are not required to put out? With eagles they can choose, based on the situation, if a UNC version will be sold for any particular year which may ruffled some feathers (pun intended) but because there isn't a "set" involved it's no big deal. The ATB thing is another critter. Does putting out the 2010s commit the Mint to putting out the ensuing years regardless of market/supply conditions? Let's say the 2010s and 2011s are produced but in 2012 there is a silver shortage and putting the bullion requirements alone is a struggle, what then? Do they skip 5 coins and move on in 2013?

Does this morph into something the Mint has to put out every year even though they don't have to put it out every year?

Kind of a Major Major thing.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Still about 30 MTBs left. Wish I could order another set from them. They were the best looking pucks I received!

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>LOL

MTB STOLE MY PICTURE!!! I created the picture MTB is using for their listing... I can tell because of the white dot between the center coin and the Yosemite. I should ask for a discount.. >>

Jesse, maybe they will give you the white dot back ! Whatever happened to the 10000 post giveaway?
  • Options
    I think the increased cost is to offset the ebay/paypal fees. Although since they are using Paypal, it does let you use credit cards which is nice.
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Can PCGS Vouchers be used for these ATB coins?
  • Options

I guess this has already been mentioned.

MTB is offering there sets for $1025 on EBAY. One per household limit.

MTB

Funny thing is I bot a Fidelitrade set from them under another Ebay name. I think it was mtbwanb?
  • Options

<< <i>Can PCGS Vouchers be used for these ATB coins? >>

I understand they can but I don't know what the cost is.
  • Options
    Where does it say they have only 100 sets to sell, just asking?
    Guess i'll know soon the way their selling
  • Options

<< <i>Where does it say they have only 100 sets to sell, just asking?
    Guess i'll know soon the way their selling >>

On the right side of their listing it shows how many are left to sell.
  • Options
    When you save the listing in your watch list there will be a quantity remaining showing in the watch list description.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can PCGS Vouchers be used for these ATB coins? >>

I understand they can but I don't know what the cost is. >>

Yes, I used mine for them, you have to pay the $18 for FS label if you want it.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where does it say they have only 100 sets to sell, just asking?
    Guess i'll know soon the way their selling >>

9 to go now only 6
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Now down to 3 sets.
  • Options
    ugh> I want another set but if I use the last bit of $$$ on my credit card I won't have any left for Numismatic versions! lol. so I'm passing on MTB.
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    MTB sets all gone on ebay now.
  • Options
    SOLD OUT
  • Options
    All gone!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    I snagged the last set...image
  • Options

<< <i>I snagged the last set...image >>

Timing is everything!
  • Options

MTB began selling these on ebay last night around 7:30 EDT. Sales didn't really pick up much until they were mentioned here this morning. Still, it took about 14 hours for them to sell 100 sets. With CnT & now JH selling one can only wonder what might happen if the APs have difficulty unloading their remaining inventory.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    11,200!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file