Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

$1100 is not bad when you figure in the silver they are giving with the set. Massachusetts has weird laws that CNT has to go around.
  • Options
    Waiting on grades then will see what is needed for sets and which AP`s were best, you have to get 10 sets to try and put together 69 PL And DMPL sets. 3 graded so far no set of any one kind yet.
  • Options
    Man every time I come to this thread I get all excited cuz APMEX is now selling coins!!!!!!!!! It occurs to me that if any of these slime balls end up with 2011's we will know the mint is not going to do anything.
  • Options
    This thread has justabout run its course.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>IT WAS A TYPO...

PCGS updated the Yomsemite DMPL to $2300.

So a 69FS DMPL set = $11,100
    and a 69 FS PL Set = $6,275 >>

So... how close to reality are those prices???? image >>

I think reality will be determined in the near future when all those 69PL's hit the market >>

$11k for a dmpl set is too high. The first one, which generally brings the most, brought 10k.

I ordered one last f trade set. Probably not worth the bother at this point. No more for me.

I very much wonder how these will do in a year or two.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1100 is not bad when you figure in the silver they are giving with the set. Massachusetts has weird laws that CNT has to go around. >>

So all those phone calls to the mint about ampex, and now its ok to charge 1100. I thought they could not go above the 10 percent so how can they charge 1100? Or do most of you who bought think that was a fair price? Anyone call the mint and ask? Sunny California weather and still I watch the pucks. enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$1100 is not bad when you figure in the silver they are giving with the set. Massachusetts has weird laws that CNT has to go around. >>

So all those phone calls to the mint about ampex, and now its ok to charge 1100. I thought they could not go above the 10 percent so how can they charge 1100? Or do most of you who bought think that was a fair price? Anyone call the mint and ask? Sunny California weather and still I watch the pucks. enjoyimage >>

CNT added some 90% to each order to get it to 1100. It was supposedly a sales tax thing.
  • Options

<< <i>

So all those phone calls to the mint about ampex, and now its ok to charge 1100. I thought they could not go above the 10 percent so how can they charge 1100? Or do most of you who bought think that was a fair price? Anyone call the mint and ask? Sunny California weather and still I watch the pucks. enjoyimage >>

Hey, Where have you been?
    The $1100 price includes $6 of 90% Silver ~ $160 worth of silver - so net for ATB is $940
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

CNT added some 90% to each order to get it to 1100. It was supposedly a sales tax thing. >>

So what will this 90% silver be? Older US coins? Will I be able to sell it for the amount they think it's worth?

• Options
    I think the point was that since you are buying bullion coins from them they got the price above the taxable amount by adding more BULLION....I guess they could have dropped in a silver bar but the end result is the same....
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you rather hand over $80 (guessing) for taxes and get nothing in return or spend $160 on $6 of mystery 90% silver?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    just like mtb would add additional ASE's to get over the $1000 to avoid sales tax for NY residents

must be the same for CnT with MA residents, except they chose to add in 90% and end with a nice round number of $1100
  • Options

<< <i>just like mtb would add additional ASE's to get over the $1000 to avoid sales tax for NY residents

must be the same for CnT with MA residents, except they chose to add in 90% and end with a nice round number of $1100 >>

If i have an order with MTB (im in NY)...They want $860 for MTB, $45 for Freight, $25 Commission, then $72.03 tax. = $1002.03 Total.
    How much worth of ASE's do i have to add to avoid the tax? IE - is the ship and/or commissions added for tax purposes?
  • Options

<< <i>just like mtb would add additional ASE's to get over the $1000 to avoid sales tax for NY residents

must be the same for CnT with MA residents, except they chose to add in 90% and end with a nice round number of $1100 >>

Except they are doing it for everyone. It doesn't matter what state you live in. I live in NJ and purchased a set from CNT. I had to pay the $1,100, there was no option to just buy the ATB set.
    It really doesn't bother me though, I'm fine with the $6 face 90%.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Where have you been?
    The $1100 price includes $6 of 90% Silver ~ $160 worth of silver - so net for ATB is $940 >>

Helping taking care of my sister Brain tumor and i can't believe I missed that part. Darn it I thought I read every post in this thread, must have missed a page guess that wasn't a bad deal after all................Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Got some of my grades back and still have others being graded. I did cherry pick and only send in the better looking coins.

Between Amark(2 sets), Gold Center(3 sets), and FideliTrade(1 set) in this batch - the winner was Amark. Every Amark I sent in was turned out to be a 68 or 69.

The loser was FideliTrade - every coin was dinged or scratched.

I understand now why people are paying more for Amark sets - dealers or collectors.

Variety Grade Source
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver MS68PL A
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver MS68PL G
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver MS67 G
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F
    Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver MS69PL A
    Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver MS68PL A
    Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver MS64DM G
    Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F
    Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver RAW G
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver MS68DM A
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver MS68PL G
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver Choice BU A
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver RAW G
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver MS69PL A
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver MS67PL G
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver MS65DM G
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver RAW G
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver MS65DM G
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver Choice BU A
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F
  • Options
    newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I JUST received my first Fidelitrade set. I've had one Apmex set and two Amarks. This set puts all of the others to shame! VERY mirrored for all of them and the only flaw I can see is the "smudge" on Washington's cheek. (Where would that rate?)

I'm very satisfied and eagerly await my sons set from Fidelitrade.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got some of my grades back and still have others being graded. I did cherry pick and only send in the better looking coins. Between Amark(2 sets), Gold Center(3 sets), and FideliTrade(1 set) in this batch - the winner was Amark. Every Amark I sent in was turned out to be a 68 or 69. The loser was FideliTrade - every coin was dinged or scratched. I understand now why people are paying more for Amark sets - dealers or collectors. >>

Different strokes for different folks. I had the complete opposite results. My four Fidelitrade pucks that I just got back were all DMPLs - three 69 DMPLs and one 67. I have another Fidelitrade set in the grading pipeline right now that should do just as well if not better. Four of the five were solid DMPLs and the fifth was borderline

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that since PCGS started offering the PL and DMPL designation that they also have been grading these in a more strict way. The 69's may becoming a real rarity from PCGS. Are we seing more sub-67's now or is it my imagination?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems to me that since PCGS started offering the PL and DMPL designation that they also have been grading these in a more strict way. The 69's may becoming a real rarity from PCGS. Are we seing more sub-67's now or is it my imagination? >>

I think you're correct.

Consistency has really been an issue w/grading pucks.
  • Options

<< <i>Got some of my grades back and still have others being graded. I did cherry pick and only send in the better looking coins.

Between Amark(2 sets), Gold Center(3 sets), and FideliTrade(1 set) in this batch - the winner was Amark. Every Amark I sent in was turned out to be a 68 or 69.

I understand now why people are paying more for Amark sets - dealers or collectors.

Variety Grade Source
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver RAW F >>

Were these f trades in flips or capsules? I'm hoping the ones in capsules will do better.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Got some of my grades back and still have others being graded. I did cherry pick and only send in the better looking coins. Between Amark(2 sets), Gold Center(3 sets), and FideliTrade(1 set) in this batch - the winner was Amark. Every Amark I sent in was turned out to be a 68 or 69. The loser was FideliTrade - every coin was dinged or scratched. I understand now why people are paying more for Amark sets - dealers or collectors. >>

Different strokes for different folks. I had the complete opposite results. My four Fidelitrade pucks that I just got back were all DMPLs - three 69 DMPLs and one 67. I have another Fidelitrade set in the grading pipeline right now that should do just as well if not better. Four of the five were solid DMPLs and the fifth was borderline >>

Were three coins from one set actually graded 69 dmpl or is this your estimate of how they will grade?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems to me that since PCGS started offering the PL and DMPL designation that they also have been grading these in a more strict way. The 69's may becoming a real rarity from PCGS. Are we seing more sub-67's now or is it my imagination? >>

I think you're correct.

Consistency has really been an issue w/grading pucks. >>

It is almost like they came to realize that now they are giving out PL and DMPL's, these coins could skyrocket in price so they have to be more conservative on the higher grades to protect their buy-back guarantee.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you're correct.

It is almost like they came to realize that now they are giving out PL and DMPL's, these coins could skyrocket in price so they have to be conservative on the higher grades to protect their buy-back guarantee. >>

I agree-- very conservative grading is to their benefit with these..
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you're correct.

It is almost like they came to realize that now they are giving out PL and DMPL's, these coins could skyrocket in price so they have to be conservative on the higher grades to protect their buy-back guarantee. >>

I think you're right, CS. >>

I wish I sent mine in about a month ago. Now I quake in fear of the results.image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get your graded coins back from PCGS how do you plan on storing your coins longterm?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i> Were three coins from one set actually graded 69 dmpl or is this your estimate of how they will grade? >>

These are the actual grades. I received the coins from PCGS yesterday. I submitted 3 coins from my original APMEX set and four from the Fidelitrade set. I had "graded" them myself before submitting, and the four from Fidelitrade were the clear winners with all of them having deep, deep mirrors and few detracting marks. The Yosemite, Yellowstone and Mt Hood all came back MS69 DMPL, much as I had hoped (but not fully expected. I had the Hot Springs pegged at 68 PL/DMPL and it came back MS67 DMPL, so it was a small minus surprise. The Fidelitrades were from a bubble-wrap set (no capsules). I guess I got lucky because they made it all the way to CA with little rim chatter. My second Fidelitrade set looked even better; I'm anxiously awaiting its grades to post (although that submission also includes an inferior GC from the first set).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you're correct.

I agree-- very conservative grading is to their benefit with these.. >>

Which is precisely the problem, grading is supposed to be objective and consistent NOT driven by business considerations. The grading of there things is becomming an inconsistent mess all the way around.
  • Options

From the results I have been seeing, it really looks like any MS69 will be a tuff score to make. The grading looks to be getting much more conservative at PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Were three coins from one set actually graded 69 dmpl or is this your estimate of how they will grade? >>

These are the actual grades. I received the coins from PCGS yesterday. I submitted 3 coins from my original APMEX set and four from the Fidelitrade set. I had "graded" them myself before submitting, and the four from Fidelitrade were the clear winners with all of them having deep, deep mirrors and few detracting marks. The Yosemite, Yellowstone and Mt Hood all came back MS69 DMPL, much as I had hoped (but not fully expected. I had the Hot Springs pegged at 68 PL/DMPL and it came back MS67 DMPL, so it was a small minus surprise. The Fidelitrades were from a bubble-wrap set (no capsules). I guess I got lucky because they made it all the way to CA with little rim chatter. My second Fidelitrade set looked even better; I'm anxiously awaiting its grades to post (although that submission also includes an inferior GC from the first set). >>

WOW!!!! What a score. My f trades were very dmpl looking but scratched and dinged, all in those bubble wrap envelopes. I have one more f trade set coming, hopefully in capsules and hopefully like yours. Three of five 69 dmpl may br a record. What an incredible score.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you're correct.

I agree-- very conservative grading is to their benefit with these.. >>

Which is precisely the problem, grading is supposed to be objective and consistent NOT driven by business considerations. The grading of there things is becomming an inconsistent mess all the way around. >>

I have come to face the reality the PCGS is first a business with the need to make profits. That is understandable but for the purist it can be frustrating. It seems to me the the grading standards always get tougher the higher the value of the coin with the only exception of the ultra-rarities that often have the reverse effect.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Got some of my grades back and still have others being graded. I did cherry pick and only send in the better looking coins.

Variety Grade Source

Were these f trades in flips or capsules? I'm hoping the ones in capsules will do better. >>

Neither - the FideliTrades were in the bubble wrap holders.

They were all DMPL (most reflective of all my sets) in my opinion - but were too scratched / dinged to send in for grading
  • Options

Variety Grade Source

3 ---69`s out of 6 sets with numbers like that these 69`s will turn out to be worth something
  • Options

<< <i>From the results I have been seeing, it really looks like any MS69 will be a tuff score to make. The grading looks to be getting much more conservative at PCGS. >>

I think it is pretty weak that the grades you get are dependent on when you send them in...a month ago no PL/DM's few 69's....a few of weeks ago 69's AND PL/DM's...now few 69's

Maybe if they let us know in advance what their standards would be for THIS WEEK is would make it easier

NGC is no better

Credibility is zip. I guess when you sell the coin you could say when it was graded and that would help image
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!!!! What a score. My f trades were very dmpl looking but scratched and dinged, all in those bubble wrap envelopes. I have one more f trade set coming, hopefully in capsules and hopefully like yours. Three of five 69 dmpl may br a record. What an incredible score. >>

Thanks. Yes, I was very pleased. My original goal was to complete an MS69 PL set; now I'll have to shoot for a DMPL set!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking more of a "DRK" approach to the pucks...that is, I'm leaving them just as I received them and I'll let the "dirty rotten kids" sort it all out after they toss me over a fence in a sack!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm taking more of a "DRK" approach to the pucks...that is, I'm leaving them just as I received them and I'll let the "dirty rotten kids" sort it all out after they toss me over a fence in a sack! >>

Smart move....
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    2 Unopened AMARK sets in my closet...rising in value image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My AMark set is opened. Oops.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2 Unopened AMARK sets in my closet...rising in value image >>

That would drive me nuts knowing what they could containimage
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I have 7 sets...and I think I'll hold them until I need the money...or until I see what happens after the mint makes tons more this year
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    I sold my first set on ebay for $1675. I have 2 really good quality sets at home, and sent out mail for 2 more sets. Oh how I wish I could hold onto all of them till I"m despirate for money. hahaha. But I have to sell atleast 1 set. I can't keep all 4. =(
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2 Unopened AMARK sets in my closet...rising in value image >>

That would drive me nuts knowing what they could containimage >>

bet they contain PL/DM's image
  • Options
    I got on Apmex live support to do a little investigative reporting...I am playing the roll of Kirk image After each of my questions was a very long pause as if the chat operator was getting the correct response from someone else. I cut and pasted from the chat window...

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Geoffrey'

Geoffrey: Hello, how can I help you?

Kirk: Hi I was wondering when you will be selling your remaining 2010 5oz America the Beautiful silver bullion sets?

Geoffrey: I have not been told a date when we will have those sets available for sale.

Kirk: Okay, but you do still have sets that will be available at some point?

Geoffrey: I suggest signing up for the "Alert Me". When we have them for sale you will be notified.

Kirk: Okay, thanks
  • Options
    Just received my Dillon Gage set this afternoon. I almost choked when I saw the small box. The quality of the coins is by far the worst of the sets I have received to date. Only the Mt Hood is worthy of sending in for grading. Poor packing, dings, scratches, spots and pretty good die polish on two or three of them - it all adds up to not worthy of grading. I'll put them in capsules and sell a raw set, I guess...
  • Options
    HawgstickHawgstick Posts: 240 ✭✭
    Grading standards from pcgs aren't to blame, it's the quality control from the distributors. A-Mark did it right.
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    A-Mark still not sold out. I e-mailed and got this response. I was kind of hoping the Paypal address didn't need to match as the in-laws live just down the road. Oh well, but if anyone is still looking...

Please visit our website ASAP, www.buyatb.com, and click on "register" in the upper right hand corner in order to be put on our WAITING LIST. Coins went on sale about 1 month ago. You will not be able to purchase at this time as there is a VERY limited amount.

People will be selected at random, so please check your email daily to receive updates as to when/if more will be made available and how to purchase.

Prices are $975 including shipping.

Please be advised that we are only able to :

1) Take payment via Paypal

2) ship to the Paypal associated address

3) only 1 shipment to that address (if a friend or family member has already shipped there, your order will get CANCELLED)

4) Please ensure your current Paypal address is where you can receive your coins

Good luck in the process!

• Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the results I have been seeing, it really looks like any MS69 will be a tuff score to make. The grading looks to be getting much more conservative at PCGS. >>

CRAP! I just sold 3 of my 4 PCGS MS69PLs!!!!!!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    deleted
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

<< <i>A-Mark still not sold out. I e-mailed and got this response. I was kind of hoping the Paypal address didn't need to match as the in-laws live just down the road. Oh well, but if anyone is still looking...

Please visit our website ASAP, www.buyatb.com, and click on "register" in the upper right hand corner in order to be put on our WAITING LIST. Coins went on sale about 1 month ago. You will not be able to purchase at this time as there is a VERY limited amount.

People will be selected at random, so please check your email daily to receive updates as to when/if more will be made available and how to purchase.

Prices are $975 including shipping.

Please be advised that we are only able to :

1) Take payment via Paypal

2) ship to the Paypal associated address

3) only 1 shipment to that address (if a friend or family member has already shipped there, your order will get CANCELLED)

4) Please ensure your current Paypal address is where you can receive your coins

Good luck in the process! >>

There are ways to get around these requirements quite easily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file