Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So when they did open the phone lines ( which they really did) it didn't take long for them (DG) to sell out. >>

You know this how? When? what time? Just wondering...

• << <i>And if that is the case maybe the prices will not see the dip everyone is expecting.

Maybe John Maben sees something everyone else is missing when he buys as many of these sets as he can.

Maybe I am right when I say HOLD HOLD HOLD.

So I will say again: HOLD! HOLD! HOLD! >>

I already sold one set as planned (which paid for 3 sets)....the other three are keepers. I'm just trying to decide about grading and still waiting for 2 of the remaining 3
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    There's no hard evidence I've seen to indicate that Dillon Gage ever opened their phone lines to buyers at large. Since early December they claimed to be keeping a list of phone numbers of buyers as a waiting list.

• << <i>

<< <i>So when they did open the phone lines ( which they really did) it didn't take long for them (DG) to sell out. >>

You know this how? When? what time? Just wondering... >>

Well I got one - and I have never done business with them before, so yeah they did sell to the public. However my name was put on the list in December.

A guy in our local coin club got one by calling... he was told most of them were already sold the first go round ( before the Mint changed the rules) . All Im saying is it's a reasonable thought for us to think before we start accusing them of doing something wrong.
    Always Buying Modern Gold, Silver, & Platinum Eagles.

• << <i>Well I don't think DG was in the wrong here. Has anybody thought that it could be the same scenario that happened with APMEX?

1. AP's turned in their order to the mint

2. AP's started selling them

3. Mint said "wait a minute" and changed the rules around.

4. Meanwhile most of their sets were spoken for already.... So when they did open the phone lines ( which they really did) it didn't take long for them (DG) to sell out.

Think about it if Amark could sell 2700 sets in an hour or two...

is it unlikely DG couldn't sell their remaining sets in 2 hours?

To me it sounds like people are mad because this forum did not tell them DG had their sets for sale.

So who's in the wrong here--- Us (everybody on this forum including me) for only telling our freinds were to go buy these sets and when. Or DG for making you go to their website to catch when it said now accepting orders. It's something to think about, but no grounds for saying they broke the mint's guidelines. Especially with absolutely no proof and just assumptions. >>

If DG sold out their inventory already, it's misleading to keep posting on their website that "they continue to develop the appropriate procedures to meet the U.S. Mint's guidelines for the sale and distribution of [the ATB] coins." And how were they able to sell to 3,600 different households without word getting out to the busiest ATB forum around?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well I got one - and I have never done business with them before, so yeah they did sell to the public. However my name was put on the list in December.

A guy in our local coin club got one by calling... he was told most of them were already sold the first go round ( before the Mint changed the rules) . All Im saying is it's a reasonable thought for us to think before we start accusing them of doing something wrong. >>

Well, you didn't answer the question

There is a durexmetals on ebay selling coins with item location in Texas, USA. image

linky dinky

Oh yeah, DG is in Addison TX.

I've seen this play out before back in December + early Jan in southern Illinois.

OK! I'm on the DG is a lowdown, backdoor selling AP wagon!
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Think about it if Amark could sell 2700 sets in an hour or two... >>

<<is it unlikely DG couldn't sell their remaining sets in 2 hours?>>

Actually, I will say this without a doubt in my mind, it is absolutely impossible that DG sold anything above board without someone on this board immediately hearing about it and flagging the rest of us. So no, I will not accept this scenario. If DG had a sale, it was under less than open and fair conditions.

Or are we now actually attempting to say that this mysterious DG sale now occurred in December...which would also be impossible without more than one or two sets appearing on eBay.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    FedEx just dropped my set off (3 days earlier than the estimated delivery date - they rock!) So now I have a quandary. The coins are amazing. I am thinking about having them graded and need to move quickly to get the early release label. Is it worth the $200 gamble that they will come back 68 or 69? The coins are clean - like a mirror. Arms length and can still see my face. What makes a PL designation? Compared to some of the pics of coins for sale with the PL designation, mine appear cleaner. Some minor polish lines - is that a negative? These are going in a drawer, so no concern about waiting 3 weeks to get them back and missing the frenzy.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    and with scripts running the world woulda known about any so called sale....Sounds like DG needs a new spokesperson.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Get them graded before you put them away, if for no other reason, to just protect them.

<< <i>Get them graded before you put them away, if for no other reason, to just protect them. >>

A-Mark set so currently slabbed
    Double Post
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Get them graded before you put them away, if for no other reason, to just protect them. >>

A-Mark set so currently slabbed >>

No need to reslab them if they're in BU PCGS holders and you are keeping them! Down the road if you sell them and want them graded you will always be eligible for the FS label since these already have them. Don't waste your $$!!
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my A-Mark pucks today. Very impressed with the packaging!! They are tightly snug within foam. Nice job A-Mark. They get two thumbs up and have a new happy customer who will buy again from them! The pucks are sweet btw!! 3 out of 5 are PL.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A guy in our local coin club got one by calling... he was told most of them were already sold the first go round ( before the Mint changed the rules) . All Im saying is it's a reasonable thought for us to think before we start accusing them of doing something wrong. >>

I was on the list in December and no call. Furthermore, their website had initially said they would be on sale like on Jan 3rd. They REMOVED that and put up this:
    NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS:
    We continue to develop the appropriate procedures to meet the U.S. Mint's guidelines for the sale and distribution of these coins. At this point we are unable to accept names or take orders for these coins. Please look for updates on this website. No phone calls, please.
    Thank you for your understanding.

DO NOT CALL. WE WILL UPDATE.

Seems clear to me. I'm on the list, I'm not calling because they told me not to and I'm watching the website.

FURTHERMORE, I sent an email about a month ago asking to open an account, they sent me the paperwork, I filled it out and sent it in, never heard from again, eventhough I have email them about my account.

FURTHERMORE, The mint changed the rules before they even shipped them, I don't think there is anyway DG PRESOLD most of there coins before APMEX did the Presale think.

Give me a break. If they don't have anymore coins, DG are cheats, along with APMEX and Prudential.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    Mine are waiting at home for me. After 2 months on this thread, I will finally get to see what they really look like.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Ebay is any indication there is little or no price premium on pucks graded under 68 vs. Raw/Choice BU slab.
    68 gets some juice but varies.
    You need a 69 to score big right now.

Of course if you're not flipping, getting your pucks slabbed and graded should be satisfying enough.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Think about it if Amark could sell 2700 sets in an hour or two... >>

<<is it unlikely DG couldn't sell their remaining sets in 2 hours?>>

Actually, I will say this without a doubt in my mind, it is absolutely impossible that DG sold anything above board without someone on this board immediately hearing about it and flagging the rest of us. So no, I will not accept this scenario. If DG had a sale, it was under less than open and fair conditions. >>

True be dat - no ? about it.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FedEx just dropped my set off (3 days earlier than the estimated delivery date - they rock!) So now I have a quandary. The coins are amazing. I am thinking about having them graded and need to move quickly to get the early release label. Is it worth the $200 gamble that they will come back 68 or 69? The coins are clean - like a mirror. Arms length and can still see my face. What makes a PL designation? Compared to some of the pics of coins for sale with the PL designation, mine appear cleaner. Some minor polish lines - is that a negative? These are going in a drawer, so no concern about waiting 3 weeks to get them back and missing the frenzy. >>

If they're going in a drawer, no question that it's worth the $277 or whatever, IMHO.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>

<< <i>

No need to reslab them if they're in BU PCGS holders and you are keeping them! Down the road if you sell them and want them graded you will always be eligible for the FS label since these already have them. Don't waste your $$!! >>

image No rush to grade them

Does anyone have good pictures of 66,67, 68, 69 graded coins or a link to pictures. I would like to get some idea of how these are being graded.
  • Well, I just sent my Amark set off to get graded. I spoke with PCGS today and they stated that they are overbooked by 10 days on the regular service. She told me that they were 25 days out for that service. I chose Express service which she said to expect an additional 5 days to get that service. Anyway, it cost me $279 + $28 to ship Registered Insured USPS mail. At least I didn't have to pay the $18 per coin for FS. I looked through my coins pretty good and found at least one or two coin marks on each coin. My guess is that I'm looking at 67s and 68s. I did have one that was proof like, but i guess that doesnt matter to PCGS.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I am late with this post but I only just saw that Modern Coin Mart is a buyer of sets on the BST.

THIS OFFER IS ONLY FOR SETS IN HAND AND READY TO SHIP NOW!

A-Mark PCGS Gem Unc Sets -

$1300 for sealed boxes,

$1200 for open boxes.

Will also buy sealed sets from MTB for $1350.

Maybe we will see a bounce or at least some sort of level?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna >>

So what is the deal with the Fidelitrade coins. Good? Bad? Ugly? No offer?
  • How many posts?
    Do I win a prize???

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is a durexmetals on ebay selling coins with item location in Texas, USA. image

linky dinky

I've seen this play out before back in December + early Jan in southern Illinois.

OK! I'm on the DG is a lowdown, backdoor selling AP wagon! >>

Ok here is the deal all Im saying is yes there is possibility either way- and yes that is my ebay ID - And YES I live In Texas about hmmmm 14 Hours away from addison - (it's a big state). I Have NO affilation with them, all Im saying is we are quick to jump to conclusions, and before we go writing the mint about how bad APMEX , Prudential, DG , GC ,basically a good majority of the AP's , should get their AP status taken away ....

the truth is WE really don't KNOW what happened. There is no HARD evidence either way. Not saying Im right and your wrong - or Im wrong and Your right- Just saying we don't know all the facts. I think the mint should of let the AP handle it the way they do the silver eagles every year.

I think the mint would listen to us a little more if we were writing them and did not have a set. But the fact is most of us have 1,2,3, or whatever you were willing to pursue. I bought two the second from amark. and youve got my ebay ID and how many have I sold. Sure isn't close to 50 or even 10 - a simple 1 set. Now the THR guys- they were involved in some back door selling but not me. I am no dealer just a collector and your link proves it. How come know one has question moderncoinmart were they got there sets? yeah I know they have a post on the BST on here, but I remember a couple a weeks ago they said they were not buying any.
    Always Buying Modern Gold, Silver, & Platinum Eagles.
    ...Is getting close!
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

No need to reslab them if they're in BU PCGS holders and you are keeping them! Down the road if you sell them and want them graded you will always be eligible for the FS label since these already have them. Don't waste your $$!! >>

image No rush to grade them

Does anyone have good pictures of 66,67, 68, 69 graded coins or a link to pictures. I would like to get some idea of how these are being graded. >>

Check out airplanenuts completed auctions(jkcoins), he just sold a set of pcgs 68-67 coins with excellent pics a couple of days ago--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can accuse DG of wrong doing, but if the Mint is too lazy to go after tGC, why bother complaining about DG? I don't think there is any sign of wrong doing yet. They made a list and sold off of it is as logical of an explanation as they sold to their regulars first.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I called DG (Dam* Gage) in mid Dec. They emailed me an app. Set up a temp
    account for me. Filled out the app. Gave them LOTS of personal financial info.
    Faxed it back to them. Was told I would be contacted when the pucks went up
    for sale. Checked their site EVERY f***in day!
    Nothing.
    Guess my financials weren't impressive enough!
    So yeh - I'd say I'm PO'd.

<< "..... Nice...so I guess we can now officially add them to the sleazy, non-conforming, selling them out the back door list of APs? " >>

I'm with you, RichR.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • So we are safely waiting for Coins N Things and the US Mint?

<< <i>Ok here is the deal all Im saying is yes there is possibility either way- and yes that is my ebay ID - And YES I live In Texas about hmmmm 14 Hours away from addison - (it's a big state). I Have NO affilation with them, all Im saying is we are quick to jump to conclusions, and before we go writing the mint about how bad APMEX , Prudential, DG , GC ,basically a good majority of the AP's , should get their AP status taken away ....

the truth is WE really don't KNOW what happened. There is no HARD evidence either way. Not saying Im right and your wrong - or Im wrong and Your right- Just saying we don't know all the facts. I think the mint should of let the AP handle it the way they do the silver eagles every year.

I think the mint would listen to us a little more if we were writing them and did not have a set. But the fact is most of us have 1,2,3, or whatever you were willing to pursue. I bought two the second from amark. and youve got my ebay ID and how many have I sold. Sure isn't close to 50 or even 10 - a simple 1 set. Now the THR guys- they were involved in some back door selling but not me. I am no dealer just a collector and your link proves it. How come know one has question moderncoinmart were they got there sets? yeah I know they have a post on the BST on here, but I remember a couple a weeks ago they said they were not buying any. >>

Thanks for the reply, i guess we'll see what happens next -

IF DG is sold out, unshipped and starts shipping soon, there should be a flood of DG ATB pucks on ebay in the next month.

You said you were on the DG list and got a set; I'm on the DG list too with a low sign up number, maybe I'll hear from them, maybe I won't; maybe others on this list will hear from them and maybe they won't. Time will tell!!!

But I do gotta ask - you are in TX and 14 hours from Addison, TX? It ain't that big a state. image

Came back to edit - Really the problem is what has been posted in this thread about DG being sold out vs. what is on their website -

"NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS:
    We continue to develop the appropriate procedures to meet the U.S. Mint's guidelines for the sale and distribution of these coins. At this point we are unable to accept names or take orders for these coins. Please look for updates on this website. No phone calls, please."

DG is developing appropriate procedures to sell, yet DG is sold out?

This doesn't pass the smell test.

• Shocked! My MTB just arrived (6pm) via UPS...no advance notice. 3 down, 1 to go

Deciding about opening the box....most likely will since I can't stand looking at a sealed box (and ER date is well within reach)

• << <i>So we are safely waiting for Coins N Things and the US Mint? >>

The Cubs will win the World Series before another AP puts their sets up for sale. I think we're now just waiting for the Mint.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>Shocked! My MTB just arrived (6pm) via UPS...no advance notice. 3 down, 1 to go
    Deciding about opening the box....most likely will since I can't stand looking at a sealed box (and ER date is well within reach) >>

Don't open the box until you are willing to grade IMHO.
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

. >>

Care to share more details, on getting through to purchase from DG.

Did they call you off the list or did you see they were selling by phone. (when did they open sales?)

Are they coins in airtites, or slabbed, and what was the handling quality.

Are they sold out, or what percentage is sold and/or shipped do you think.

What were the extra charges?

Did they ship ASAP

None of this is private information, no reason not to share? About a 10-14 days ago, someone here spotted another DG auction, so there was other information leading to this. and I have my set, so I am not to bothered, just an enquiring mind. .

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I called DG (Dam* Gage) in mid Dec. They emailed me an app. Set up a temp account for me. Filled out the app. Gave them LOTS of personal financial info. Faxed it back to them. Was told I would be contacted when the pucks went up for sale. Checked their site EVERY f***in day! Nothing. Guess my financials weren't impressive enough! So yeh - I'd say I'm PO'd. << "..... Nice...so I guess we can now officially add them to the sleazy, non-conforming, selling them out the back door list of APs? " >> I'm with you, RichR. >>

Ditto on all counts. Left my name, addr, ph# and email address with them in mid-Dec. I have called a couple times and was always told "we'll call you when they go on sale". Right...

<< <i>Shocked! My MTB just arrived (6pm) via UPS...no advance notice. 3 down, 1 to go >>

If I may ask, when did your check clear? Mine cleared on 1/13 so I'm hoping it's on it's way.

Another question, can you provide any label info that we might be able to use in a "Track by Reference" attempt? I'm not asking for personal info, but something that MTB might have used on the label, like maybe their acct number or something similar. The UPS site allows tracking by a number of means. It sure would be nice to know ahead of time when to expect the package...
  • Went on a tour of the Denver Mint today. Neat tour. Then went to the gift Shop. In a case saw PGCS slabbed 5 oz coins gem bu. No price on them. Asked how much lady said $800 a peice.
    Never asked where they got them Only saw one set in the case.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that is a indication of what they are going to charge for the "P" series?

• << <i>

<< <i>Shocked! My MTB just arrived (6pm) via UPS...no advance notice. 3 down, 1 to go >>

If I may ask, when did your check clear? Mine cleared on 1/13 so I'm hoping it's on it's way.

Another question, can you provide any label info that we might be able to use in a "Track by Reference" attempt? I'm not asking for personal info, but something that MTB might have used on the label, like maybe their acct number or something similar. The UPS site allows tracking by a number of means. It sure would be nice to know ahead of time when to expect the package... >>

Check was paid by my bank on 1/14...

Box info: there is a tracking number which was not provided in advance

There is a shipper ID # S0052222

That's it......

Coins inside are not the best.....can't say any one would grade 69 with 68 also in doubt. The AMark coins blow them away.....These are more like the APMEX set I sold

• << <i>I wonder if that is a indication of what they are going to charge for the "P" series? >>

$4000/set??? Line up the neighbors for THAT bargain image

p.s. that guess is still open in the contest image

<< <i>Check was paid by my bank on 1/14... Box info: there is a tracking number which was not provided in advance There is a shipper ID # S0052222 That's it...... >>

Thanks. No luck yet. I've tried a number of Reference items (ATB. America the Beautiful, MTB, etc.) and no luck trying to track by reference. I'm assuming mine is on the way since my check cleared a day before yours. I'm on the west coast, so maybe it's taking a little longer. Was it UPS 2nd day, UPS Ground??? What part of the country are you in?
  • UPS Ground.....NYC to Massachusetts
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

linky dinky

OK! I'm on the DG is a lowdown, backdoor selling AP wagon! >>

Ok here is the deal all Im saying is yes there is possibility either way- and yes that is my ebay ID - And YES I live In Texas about hmmmm 14 Hours away from addison - (it's a big state). I Have NO affilation with them, all Im saying is we are quick to jump to conclusions, and before we go writing the mint about how bad APMEX , Prudential, DG , GC ,basically a good majority of the AP's , should get their AP status taken away ....

I think the mint would listen to us a little more if we were writing them and did not have a set. But the fact is most of us have 1,2,3, or whatever you were willing to pursue. I bought two the second from amark. and youve got my ebay ID and how many have I sold. Sure isn't close to 50 or even 10 - a simple 1 set. Now the THR guys- they were involved in some back door selling but not me. I am no dealer just a collector and your link proves it. How come know one has question moderncoinmart were they got there sets? yeah I know they have a post on the BST on here, but I remember a couple a weeks ago they said they were not buying any. >>

We were buying them before they were even news. We filled. We stopped. We started again. We do this day in, day out. It's our business, not our hobby, not our past time. We have 30,000 people that are loyal customers that trust us. Not hard to figure out, that's why no one asked.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard from Fidelitrade? I think I read they are being extra careful about duplicate orders,etc.When will theyship?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file