Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone please copy and paste the info from F. Trade which details how they are handling the coins (cotton gloves, etc.)? It's been posted here a couple of times but I can't find it in the zillions of posts.

Also, how was this info made available? On the F Trade site, in an email?

Thanks!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • This came up on Fidelitrade's website (www.fidelitrade.com) yesterday. Maybe they still have additional sets...

2/3/2011 - America the Beautiful Silver Coin Update

We continue to process orders for the ATB program. Unfortunately, many people attempted to circumvent the 1 set per household policy. This has slowed down our review and compliance process because we must check all possible permutations of name, address, etc. However, we remain dedicated to distributing the coins as broadly and as quickly as possible. We will not cash checks unless the corresponding order is accepted. We will send individual emails confirming a) receipt of orders, b) acceptance of orders and c) shipment of orders. Regarding packaging, the coins have been a) carefully removed from the original mint boxes and tubes (we use soft gloves and non-abrasive surfaces), b) individually placed in small bubble-wrap envelopes, c) the set placed in a fiberboard envelope, and d) the envelope sealed in a FedEx Bubble Pak. We expect to begin shipping via FedEx Express Saver service in the first half of February.

We thank you for your business and patience.
    FideliTrade Incorporated

• So Modern Coin Mart has posted on the B/S/T forum they are buying ATB sets. Paying $1200 for open A-mark sets, $1300 for sealed A-mark sets, and $1350 for sealed MTB sets.

This brings up a couple things. First, since they are offering a bit more for the MTB sets, they maybe have noticed better quality from MTB? And second, is this the beginning of a bottom of the market for these sets. I realize they can always move the buy prices lower, but this should at least start to form some support for the price drop unless they are hit with lots of offers to sell at these prices.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone please copy and paste the info from F. Trade which details how they are handling the coins (cotton gloves, etc.)? It's been posted here a couple of times but I can't find it in the zillions of posts. Also, how was this info made available? On the F Trade site, in an email? >>

It was in an order acceptance email that some, but not all received. I didn't get one or I'd post it, but my order is good and my check cleared on 1/26.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    from attachment of receipt of correspondence...:

Packaging:
    „h US Mint
    o Coins are of a bullion variety (i.e., the US Mint handles them in the same manner that it handles silver Eagle bullion coins)
    o ATB coins were shipped by the US Mint in plastic boxes containing 10 plastic tubes. Each tube contains 10 coins
    „h FideliTrade
    o Coins will be unpackaged (from Mint tubes) with care.
    „X On a soft, non-abrasive surface
    „X Packing staff will wear gloves when handling the coins
    o Coins will be packaged as follows:
    „X Each of the 5 coins will be placed in small (4¡¨ x 4¡¨) bubble envelopes;
    „X the 5 small bubble envelopes will be sealed in a sturdy fiber envelope;
    „X the fiber envelope will be placed in a FedEx Bubble Pak for shipment.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This brings up a couple things. First, since they are offering a bit more for the MTB sets, they maybe have noticed better quality from MTB? And second, is this the beginning of a bottom of the market for these sets. I realize they can always move the buy prices lower, but this should at least start to form some support for the price drop unless they are hit with lots of offers to sell at these prices. >>

Agreed...after factoring in MCM's profit margin, I'd say that the sets "true" auction value would lie somewhere between their offer to buy and their retail price. Just where in between is the question?

However, I would say that their mere offer to buy at this point indicates that they definitely don't believe they're going to drop much further and put themselves in the hole.
  • First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?
    Dillon Gage Listing
    <<First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?>>
    <<Dillon Gage Listing >>

Nice...so I guess we can now officially add them to the sleazy, non-conforming, selling them out the back door list of APs?

Just makes A-Mark and Fidelitrade look better and better in comparison.

• << <i><<First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?>>
    <<Dillon Gage Listing >>

Nice...so I guess we can now officially add them to the sleazy, non-conforming, selling them out the back door list of APs?

Just makes A-Mark and Fidelitrade look better and better in comparison. >>

Order date on the invoice- 1/18/11

• << <i>First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?
    Dillon Gage Listing >>

So how did the seller get the invoice OUT of the sealed box????? (ordered on 1/18)
    <<So how did the seller get the invoice OUT of the sealed box????? (ordered on 1/18) >>

Well...if you can get a set of coins from a dealer who's "not selling them yet," I guess other forms of magic shouldn't be too difficult!
    Look like perhaps an OTC purchase...

• << <i>

<< <i>First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?
    Dillon Gage Listing >>

So how did the seller get the invoice OUT of the sealed box????? (ordered on 1/18) >>

Apmex sent a box inside a box. Probably something similar.

<<Look like perhaps an OTC purchase... >>

...or more likely a UTC [under the counter] purchase!
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i><<Look like perhaps an OTC purchase... >>

...or more likely a UTC [under the counter] purchase! >>

or multiple sets, opens one, sells the other 50

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have seen 3 sets so far at the Long Beach show, one raw, one NGC Bu, and my PCGS BU.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Just took a couple photos of my coins... There is a piece of metal by the WE in the first one.. The second one has discoloration by Georges chin, and the third has a piece of reddish brown crap by the YO in YOSEMITE.. lots of scratches on the others too...
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just took a couple photos of my coins... There is a piece of metal by the WE in the first one.. The second one has discoloration by Georges chin, and the third has a piece of reddish brown crap by the YO in YOSEMITE.. lots of scratches on the others too... >>

Oh man not the best batch, what AP did you get them from?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

• << <i>Just took a couple photos of my coins... There is a piece of metal by the WE in the first one.. The second one has discoloration by Georges chin, and the third has a piece of reddish brown crap by the YO in YOSEMITE.. lots of scratches on the others too... >>

Are those the kind of flaws that would keep these coins from grading MS68 or better through PCGS?

<< <i>This came up on Fidelitrade's website (www.fidelitrade.com) yesterday. Maybe they still have additional sets...

2/3/2011 - America the Beautiful Silver Coin Update

We continue to process orders for the ATB program. Unfortunately, many people attempted to circumvent the 1 set per household policy. This has slowed down our review and compliance process because we must check all possible permutations of name, address, etc. However, we remain dedicated to distributing the coins as broadly and as quickly as possible. We will not cash checks unless the corresponding order is accepted. We will send individual emails confirming a) receipt of orders, b) acceptance of orders and c) shipment of orders. Regarding packaging, the coins have been a) carefully removed from the original mint boxes and tubes (we use soft gloves and non-abrasive surfaces), b) individually placed in small bubble-wrap envelopes, c) the set placed in a fiberboard envelope, and d) the envelope sealed in a FedEx Bubble Pak. We expect to begin shipping via FedEx Express Saver service in the first half of February.

We thank you for your business and patience.

THANKS!!!!!
    FideliTrade Incorporated >>

• << <i>

<< <i>Just took a couple photos of my coins... There is a piece of metal by the WE in the first one.. The second one has discoloration by Georges chin, and the third has a piece of reddish brown crap by the YO in YOSEMITE.. lots of scratches on the others too... >>

Oh man not the best batch, what AP did you get them from? >>

A Mark got them yesterday... for a brief moment I thought about not opening them....

• Maybe I am late with this post but I only just saw that Modern Coin Mart is a buyer of sets on the BST.

THIS OFFER IS ONLY FOR SETS IN HAND AND READY TO SHIP NOW!

A-Mark PCGS Gem Unc Sets -

$1300 for sealed boxes,

$1200 for open boxes.

Will also buy sealed sets from MTB for $1350.

Maybe we will see a bounce or at least some sort of level?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I Just got another notice from P B in the mail looks like they finally cashed my check, still have to hear from the depository as to the next step in getting the coins shipped. Funny how some of these AP's made you jump thru hoops with forms and Amark just sold them outright. Will be interesting to see how these finally look as it sure seems like some have been better than others. welcome to all the newbies.....................................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    I'm impressed at how well the PCGS 69s did this a.m. The three finished minutes apart going from approx. $1820 to $2100 to $2400 and change at 10 a.m. EST. Very impressive for such as bad auction close time.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I am late with this post but I only just saw that Modern Coin Mart is a buyer of sets on the BST.

$1300 for sealed boxes,

$1200 for open boxes.

Dont know if anyone has asked, but since there are GEM BU and CHOICE BU slabs from PCGS does this mean that if you have a CHOICE BU that PCGS believes that those coins are only MS64 at best? and the Gems are 65+?

Only offering $1200? You may not like Ebay but you'll surely clear a few Benjamins more there at this moment.

• << <i><<First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?>>
    <<Dillon Gage Listing >>

Just makes A-Mark and Fidelitrade look better and better in comparison. >>

If Dillon Gage is selling these sets to their regular customers, it would appear to me to be within the guide lines set by the mint. It doesn't say they have to offer them to everyone. If this is the case, I fail to see how you can officially accuse them of being sleazy, non-conforming, selling out the back door. What proof do you have that they are non-conforming?
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I am late with this post but I only just saw that Modern Coin Mart is a buyer of sets on the BST.

$1300 for sealed boxes,

$1200 for open boxes.

Dont know if anyone has asked, but since there are GEM BU and CHOICE BU slabs from PCGS does this mean that if you have a CHOICE BU that PCGS believes that those coins are only MS64 at best? and the Gems are 65+?

Only offering $1200? You may not like Ebay but you'll surely clear a few Benjamins more there at this moment. >>

I doubt there is a difference, they were graded for speed and for less cost , as they are scrutinized less, I had 2 that looked MS68/69 from A-mark

<<If Dillon Gage is selling these sets to their regular customers, it would appear to me to be within the guide lines set by the mint. It doesn't say they have to offer them to everyone. If this is the case, I fail to see how you can officially accuse them of being sleazy, non-conforming, selling out the back door. What proof do you have that they are non-conforming? >>

Easy...because I don't believe the Mint's intent was for these coins to be offered as "bonus" items for exclusive sale to Dillon Gage...or any other AP's...client list. AND, to futher prove this point, if DG is selling them...then what were their guidelines and policy for doing so? Did the Mint also intend for them to keep this a secret?
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<If Dillon Gage is selling these sets to their regular customers, it would appear to me to be within the guide lines set by the mint. It doesn't say they have to offer them to everyone. If this is the case, I fail to see how you can officially accuse them of being sleazy, non-conforming, selling out the back door. What proof do you have that they are non-conforming? >>

Easy...because I don't believe the Mint's intent was for these coins to be offered as "bonus" items for exclusive sale to Dillon Gage...or any other AP's...client list. AND, to futher prove this point, if DG is selling them...then what were their guidelines and policy for doing so? Did the Mint also intend for them to keep this a secret? >>

It's baffling to me how some APs appear to be spinning the mint directive and not selling directly to the public, but I think the jury is still out on DG. DG keeps changing their ATB info once in a while on their website and I've only seen three DG packages show up. I'll give DG the benefit of the doubt, DG hasn't pulled a Gold Center move. Yet.

In the mint directive, it's pretty clear to me that the intent is to sell to public and limit it to one per HH. Read it again here - directive

To rationalize the lack of activity by some APs, I can't help but think the mint has modified the conditions of the directive and allowed leeway for the APs. Maybe the mint back doored the public and told the APs it's OK to use your client list first, then sell to the unwashed masses. Just a thought.
    Fidelitrade is working very hard to comply with the mint rules. My associate was notified today via email that he needed to contact them re a problem with his order. He called and they indicated that the address he listed was for a commericial building and thus, not within the mint's household requirement...They did allow him to then provide his home residence and they indicated they would then ship at some point to his commerical address but had to have the home address first before doing so. They indicated there were lots of problems in this regard and with people trying to place multiple orders etc...Even the US mint does not go this far to ensure the household requirement...

Oh ya, to give some idea, his order was overnighted with that first batch.

• << <i><<If Dillon Gage is selling these sets to their regular customers, it would appear to me to be within the guide lines set by the mint. It doesn't say they have to offer them to everyone. If this is the case, I fail to see how you can officially accuse them of being sleazy, non-conforming, selling out the back door. What proof do you have that they are non-conforming? >>

Easy...because I don't believe the Mint's intent was for these coins to be offered as "bonus" items for exclusive sale to Dillon Gage...or any other AP's...client list. AND, to futher prove this point, if DG is selling them...then what were their guidelines and policy for doing so? Did the Mint also intend for them to keep this a secret? >>

Since it appears that your household has had extremely good luck in obtaining multiple sets, would you consider selling some at your cost to the people here on the board that were not fortune enough to get in on the ground floor? If you could do that, it would give the appearance that you were conforming to the Mint's intent. You could offer them here on the board and it wouldn't be considered a secret.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I know you are new here so is that a joke you are telling?
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    MCADSPEC you could try to mail an order to FideliTrade as they may still have some, or try calling MTB. I think everyone on this forum who reasonably tried or has been checking it since A-mark put them on sale January 18 has had a reasonable opportunity to get one. Especially now finding out that even people who first classed order forms to Fidelitrade will all be getting one.

• << <i>

<< <i><<If Dillon Gage is selling these sets to their regular customers, it would appear to me to be within the guide lines set by the mint. It doesn't say they have to offer them to everyone. If this is the case, I fail to see how you can officially accuse them of being sleazy, non-conforming, selling out the back door. What proof do you have that they are non-conforming? >>

Since it appears that your household has had extremely good luck in obtaining multiple sets, would you consider selling some at your cost to the people here on the board that were not fortune enough to get in on the ground floor? If you could do that, it would give the appearance that you were conforming to the Mint's intent. You could offer them here on the board and it wouldn't be considered a secret. >>

Ya know...I don't want ruin your charity request but I have been able to order 4 sets from 4 different AP's. I have not used anyone's name or address except my own....I didn't see it necessary. If you keep (or had kept) yourself informed you would have been able to do the same albeit with a little effort.

Kinda like "You snooze, you lose"....There was a 12 hour window to get yourself a set earlier this week so I suggest you stay tuned to this fine board for the announcement of the next AP sale and act on it

• << <i>First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?
    Dillon Gage Listing >>

This really is upsetting, because I called Dillon Gage on Dec 10th, and they took my name and number, and told me that they would call when they were ready.

I just now called them again (almost two months later) and they said the following:

1. They are likely sold out.
    2. Everyone is out of the office due to snow.
    3. They had previously opened up their lines for 2 hrs (when I have no idea) and that they had 10,000+ calls.
    4. That they (at some time?) contacted and instructed those who were first on the list to send a check etc, and then they sent them their coins.

Any thoughts on this?

Sign in at A Mark so you will know when they become available again. Send an application to Fidelitrade along with a check.That is what I did to come up with my 2 sets.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I have had the opportunity to purchase 4 as well.

APMEX- clicked on the page when still available but stupidly thought it was too expensive
    FideliTrade- Confirmed order
    A-Mark- Confirmed order
    MTB- Turned down a set when called back from email request due to me already having two

• << <i>

Since it appears that your household has had extremely good luck in obtaining multiple sets, would you consider selling some at your cost to the people here on the board that were not fortune enough to get in on the ground floor? If you could do that, it would give the appearance that you were conforming to the Mint's intent. You could offer them here on the board and it wouldn't be considered a secret. >>

The Mint's guidelines were directed at the APs and only the APs, not the buying public. Everyone had a shot at all of the sets that MTB, Fidelitrade and AMark procured from the Mint.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First time that I've actually seen a Dillon Gage receipt! So exactly how are they doing this?!?!?
    Dillon Gage Listing >>

This really is upsetting, because I called Dillon Gage on Dec 10th, and they took my name and number, and told me that they would call when they were ready.

I just now called them again (almost two months later) and they said the following:

3. They had previously opened up their lines for 2 hrs (when I have no idea) and that they had 10,000+ calls.
    4. That they (at some time?) contacted and instructed those who were first on the list to send a check etc, and then they sent them their coins.

Any thoughts on this? >>

No thoughts other than that is 180 degrees from what the DG website says.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Dillon Gage Listing >>

Any thoughts on this? >>

No thoughts other than that is 180 degrees from what the DG website says. >>

Yeah.... That is pretty much what I am thinking.... why would they mislead their customers on their website like that? i.e. suggesting that they have yet to even start selling, when indeed they are sold out?
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Diggin4silver, from what I can see from those photos, your coins are not too bad, nothing that would preclude a 68 grade. These were struck as bullion, not as collector pieces. mine were WAY worse and got grades of 68,68,68,68 and 67. Cheer up!image---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dillon Gage Listing >>

Any thoughts on this? >>

No thoughts other than that is 180 degrees from what the DG website says. >>

Yeah.... That is pretty much what I am thinking.... why would they mislead their customers on their website like that? i.e. suggesting that they have yet to even start selling, when indeed they are sold out? >>

Plus, if they have sold out, I'd think we would see more DG listings on the bay. Unless they've sold but not shipped, which is possible.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Diggin4silver, from what I can see from those photos, your coins are not too bad, nothing that would preclude a 68 grade. These were struck as bullion, not as collector pieces. mine were WAY worse and got grades of 68,68,68,68 and 67. Cheer up!image---------BigE >>

Oh sweet, I am happier about mine now.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    <<1. They are likely sold out.
    <<2. Everyone is out of the office due to snow.
    <<3. They had previously opened up their lines for 2 hrs (when I have no idea) and that they had 10,000+ calls.
    <<4. That they (at some time?) contacted and instructed those who were first on the list to send a check etc, and then they sent them their coins.

<<Any thoughts on this? >>

Yes...as I was saying, before I was interrupted...just another sleazy, disreputable AP...
  • Maybe they are all sold out, and they shipped all at once. If so, the seller should be located near DG, and then in the next three days, we should see 1500 sets hit eBay all at once....
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Unless, of course, they sold mainly to their wealthy clients. In which case most would end up in private vaults.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

And if that is the case maybe the prices will not see the dip everyone is expecting.

Maybe John Maben sees something everyone else is missing when he buys as many of these sets as he can.

Maybe I am right when I say HOLD HOLD HOLD.

So I will say again: HOLD! HOLD! HOLD!
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

BINGO! image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Well I don't think DG was in the wrong here. Has anybody thought that it could be the same scenario that happened with APMEX?

1. AP's turned in their order to the mint

2. AP's started selling them

3. Mint said "wait a minute" and changed the rules around.

4. Meanwhile most of their sets were spoken for already.... So when they did open the phone lines ( which they really did) it didn't take long for them (DG) to sell out.

Think about it if Amark could sell 2700 sets in an hour or two...

is it unlikely DG couldn't sell their remaining sets in 2 hours?

To me it sounds like people are mad because this forum did not tell them DG had their sets for sale.

So who's in the wrong here--- Us (everybody on this forum including me) for only telling our freinds were to go buy these sets and when. Or DG for making you go to their website to catch when it said now accepting orders. It's something to think about, but no grounds for saying they broke the mint's guidelines. Especially with absolutely no proof and just assumptions.
    Always Buying Modern Gold, Silver, & Platinum Eagles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file