Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• As anyone can clearly see, this is flip mania. You can tell by the number of "new" forum members, the patience level, etc.

Prices will suffer greatly in the next few weeks. This normally doesnt end well.

Those who dont even know what they bought but did so because the "brother-in-law" told them so, or called out the congregation by blackberry to stand on line, will be depressed when the "sure thing" to earn them an easy thou ++ turns out to be a couple hundred.

Oh well, they will learn and get scared off easily, making room and less traffic for those trying to get a set of numismatic issue pucks.

I agree 100% however if the downside were to be a 20% profit I would do it all day long. I also notice the high number of newbies on this thread.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Yikes, what a long thread! Can somebody please update me on just what the hell we're talking about, now? I think the last time I replied was like some 5000 posts ago. >>

Most of the thread's posters are trying to get set(s) from every AP. Flipping. Alot of mail, email and phone calling BS. >>

Hmmm. I don't mean to be lazy, I'm just trying to avoid having to read 5000 posts. I guess these are all cleaned out by now and some of you are awaiting shipping while others are trying to figure out what the hell to do with theirs. Have any of these been graded, at this point, or is the market still so hot that those of you flipping these don't seem to think that's relevant, as yet? I'd like to see a graded one, if any of you should have one. >>

If you send in the amark coins for regrade do you loose the first strike designation? image >>

Nope Just a Big Fat Jump In Grade image As far as more newbies i really hope they check out the many other threads, there is alot more to this site than 5 ounce national parks ......................
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>7over8, while the gravy's flowing, you want to be right there with your kisser under the faucet, that's the theory. image >>

The way I see it is like this, You've got all these people standing on a dock in need of a ride, and nearby there's only 1 boat.

Now, suddenly and without warning there's a large explosion as this Boat gets hit by a torpedo.

Immediately thereafter, the Boat begins to sink...

For whatever reason, almost everybody on the dock begins yelling and jumping onto the Boat, except for a few people that decided to head over to Mcdonalds...

Me, I'm having a Big Mac and fries and will wait and take the trainimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    and hopefully we will not get run over by the bus!
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    guys -

im not saying these wont be worth something......definitely more than silver, probably 1.5x silver or more

but there will be a bunch of newbies, that dont have a clue and dont care to learn, that will be pissed when they put a thou on the line and just get a couple hundred back....

and keep in mind, it takes some work to sell these, deal with aholes on ebay, possible returns, possible lost shipments, etc.......

these newbies had visions of making a thou or more, and when the get a few hundred after some work, hopefully they wont be back

clearly we dont need the competition for the numismatic versions.
  • Im taking the corvette to Red Lobster for King crab legs.image
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>guys -

im not saying these wont be worth something......definitely more than silver, probably 1.5x silver or more

but there will be a bunch of newbies, that dont have a clue and dont care to learn, that will be pissed when they put a thou on the line and just get a couple hundred back....

and keep in mind, it takes some work to sell these, deal with aholes on ebay, possible returns, possible lost shipments, etc.......

these newbies had visions of making a thou or more, and when the get a few hundred after some work, hopefully they wont be back

clearly we dont need the competition for the numismatic versions. >>

There hasn't been a single indication that these will bottom out and someone will only make a couple hundred bucks. Has the ebay price fallen slightly, sure they are down a bit, but most are still going for around 2K.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>As anyone can clearly see, this is flip mania. You can tell by the number of "new" forum members, the patience level, etc.

Prices will suffer greatly in the next few weeks. This normally doesnt end well.

Those who dont even know what they bought but did so because the "brother-in-law" told them so, or called out the congregation by blackberry to stand on line, will be depressed when the "sure thing" to earn them an easy thou ++ turns out to be a couple hundred.

Oh well, they will learn and get scared off easily, making room and less traffic for those trying to get a set of numismatic issue pucks. >>

Call it what you want...flip mania, etc. 33k is 33k and the value will hold up on Ebay, it has already started to level out the last couple weeks and most are still going for around 2K. If for some reason the remaining AP's like DG, Jack Hunt, etc only release 500 sets like Gold Center did, then I think the price sticks at around 2K. If they release them all then I still think it will not go any lower then $1500 to $1800.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

There hasn't been a single indication that these will bottom out and someone will only make a couple hundred bucks. Has the ebay price fallen slightly, sure they are down a bit, but most are still going for around 2K. >>

Well, cakes, you may be right, but, then again, 7over8 has seen more than a flip or two from this board in the time he has been here. There is frequently a pattern and I believe he is commenting on that. We all know that patterns are a pattern for a reason. If they were just random, they wouldn't be a pattern, right?

So, a lot of you "newbies" are onboard at thsi time for whatever reason.....some (many?) are likely here due to the absolute killing to be made on these....some will expect 100%-300% ROI on these and, as others just overload ebay to get in and out with their 20-80% ROI, the ones expecting so much more may get upset.
    These are usually the ones who say it can't happen.

When you note that ebay sales are down, but still around $2k, you are looking at a VERY limited supply..........what do you honestly think will happen once a few thousand, or double that, more get released? You expect that price to remain above $2k? I don't.

I have 2 sets coming and some remodeling (about $5k) to pay for. I know these sets won't cover all that, but I am hoping they cover the majority of it. If I could have had them, like some, in the 1st week, they absolutely could have ('course, didn't have the remodeling at that time image ).

Unbridled optimism, on things that many just consider a flip opportunity, can spell disaster. Whereas, smart plays on flip material can spell nice profits to go into other coins/stuff.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW!!!

A-MARK!!!

Just got off the phone with them...

They are SHIPPING out the first 1,000 orders THIS WEEK!!!
    They will ship the first 350 tomorrow, next 350 on Thursday, and the rest on Friday.
    They will follow up with the rest next week!

WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE!

Wish the other APs took note! >>

15**, so mid next week? Guess I can sell mine as a honest pre-sale on eBay now image

If we re-submit these to an actual grade, did anyone figure out what the cost would be - with the First Strike label? >>

Honest, what would make yours any diferent then the current ones? Unless in hand I do not see any diference.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

There hasn't been a single indication that these will bottom out and someone will only make a couple hundred bucks. Has the ebay price fallen slightly, sure they are down a bit, but most are still going for around 2K. >>

Well, cakes, you may be right, but, then again, 7over8 has seen more than a flip or two from this board in the time he has been here. There is frequently a pattern and I believe he is commenting on that. We all know that patterns are a pattern for a reason. If they were just random, they wouldn't be a pattern, right?

So, a lot of you "newbies" are onboard at thsi time for whatever reason.....some (many?) are likely here due to the absolute killing to be made on these....some will expect 100%-300% ROI on these and, as others just overload ebay to get in and out with their 20-80% ROI, the ones expecting so much more may get upset.

When you note that ebay sales are down, but still around $2k, you are looking at a VERY limited supply..........what do you honestly think will happen once a few thousand, or double that, more get released? You expect that price to remain above $2k? I don't.

I have 2 sets coming and some remodeling (about $5k) to pay for. I know these sets won't cover all that, but I am hoping they cover the majority of it. If I could have had them, like some, in the 1st week, they absolutely could have ('course, didn't have the remodeling at that time image ).

Unbridled optimism, on things that many just consider a flip opportunity, can spell disaster. Whereas, smart plays on flip material can spell nice profits to go into other coins/stuff. >>

Do any of the previous flips really fit this pattern and had the uniqueness and intangibles (size, not sold by the mint, first in a series, etc) that this release does?

I think to many people are assuming the market will be flooded, there isn't any indication of that right now.

I have always liked collecting coins, but generally only bought directly from the mint.

• Cakes, are all your 40 posts on this thread?

Never mind i just checked. YES they are.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

Unbridled optimism, on things that many just consider a flip opportunity, can spell disaster. Whereas, smart plays on flip material can spell nice profits to go into other coins/stuff. >>

Do any of the previous flips really fit this pattern and had the uniqueness and intangibles (size, not sold by the mint, first in a series, etc) that this release does?

I think to many people are assuming the market will be flooded, there isn't any indication of that right now.

I have always liked collecting coins, but generally only bought directly from the mint. >>

I am glad you found us here.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

I have always liked collecting coins, but generally only bought directly from the mint. >>

1. Every Mint flip is unique. That's what makes it "hot" at the time. The pucks are not unique to the seasoned flipper. The interest will fade quickly as will the profits as we are just beginning to see.

2. The market WILL be flooded within the next 3-4 weeks. This you can take to the Bank!

3. The cut-throat competition will kill this flip quickly as the weak stomached amatuers bail like there is no tomorrow!! PCGS and NGC 69 sets will be the exception. I believe 69 sets will hold their value much better then raw sets.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

1. Every Mint flip is unique. That's what makes it "hot" at the time. The pucks are not unique to the seasoned flipper. The interest will fade quickly as will the profits as we are just beginning to see.

2. The market WILL be flooded within the next 3-4 weeks. This you can take to the Bank!

3. The cut-throat competition will kill this flip quickly as the weak stomached amatuers bail like there is no tomorrow!! PCGS and NGC 69 sets will be the exception. I believe 69 sets will hold their value much better then raw sets. >>

If Number 3 holds true, wouldn't unopened raw sets always command a premium due to the possibility of a 69 being in there? Unless of course, the market is flooded by graded ATBs and 69s end up being all over the place. Also, do you not believe that the mintage of the 2011s will have eventual effect.

<< <i>Cakes, are all your 40 posts on this thread?

Never mind i just checked. YES they are. >>

I do not need to defend myself based on a date on a forum. I am a collector, whether it was comic books as a young kid, sports cards as a teen, etc. Call me noob, call me whatever, does that make my points irrelevant?

BTW this message board has helped me and I have looked at other threads, so thank you.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>guys -

3. The cut-throat competition will kill this flip quickly as the weak stomached amatuers bail like there is no tomorrow!! PCGS and NGC 69 sets will be the exception. I believe 69 sets will hold their value much better then raw sets. >>

If Number 3 holds true, wouldn't unopened raw sets always command a premium due to the possibility of a 69 being in there? Unless of course, the market is flooded by graded ATBs and 69s end up being all over the place. Also, do you not believe that the mintage of the 2011s will have eventual effect. >>

Yes unopened sets will command a premium if you have the guts to sell one on eBay. With all the scam artists out there are you going to send an unopened box to a stranger who could claim to Paypal he rec'd an empty box??? I know it's been done but I would not risk it!!! 69's will not be plentiful, especially PCGS 69 sets. These limited mintages are the unknown factor at this point. Until a collector base is established you really can't predict their eventual demand. If there is only 5 or 10 thousand collectors out there then 33,000 sets are way to many for the real market!!

>>

Respectfully while every mint flip is unique, this is not a mint flip, it's a hybrid.

The market compared to last month has been flooded and the sets, many not even in hand, have sold for more then 2K. In hand around 2.5K.

It might weaken the flip for now, it will not kill it, 33K is 33K.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>33K is 33K. >>

Yes it is, but it is not a low number!

<< <i> >>

Respectfully while every mint flip is unique, this is not a mint flip, it's a hybrid.

The market compared to last month has been flooded and the sets, many not even in hand, have sold for more then 2K. In hand around 2.5K.

It might weaken the flip for now, it will not kill it, 33K is 33K. >>

Cakes- This is as flip as flip gets! Where's a dolphin icon when you need it! Watch this set in 6 weeks when the P set comes out and there are 5,000 bullion sets on eBay. It will be killed 10x over and selling for $1000......or close. Just my opinion of course. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even rookies to this boardimage
  • Any word from Fidelatrade ? 3 weeks and not a peep.... ?
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • I can't believe how many people are crying about possibly making "only" several hundred dollars on these. Tell me one good place to get at least a 50% return in a month and I'll sell a kidney. All for maybe 2 hours of white collar labor...
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for the court...since I have little or no interest in going through the hassle of flipping these. My question is this...what are your price predictions over the longer haul for the 2010 bullion pucks: at 1, 5 & 10 years for now? As I'm considering just putting them away and forgetting about them...like the rest of my stuff...let the kids sort it all out when I'm pushing up daisies. And a PS to my question...what happens if in a few years this series is a bust and the Mint stops production of pucks altogether...would that help or hurt the first year price? >>

As I already argued very early in this thread, I see these as having no special value above melt. They are relatively very unattractive, with designs barely tolerable for a coin less than one inch across, then magnified to 3 inches, without additional detail, just plain lousy numismatic art. The bare Washington head is unflattering, and the views of the parks are poor. Hardly anybody is going to try and collect the whole series of 112 coins up to 2021 at an estimated base cost of $20,000 in today's money, so the main potential future buyers are persons devoted to one particular park, and for them these coins will not be especially enticing. Then there's the high additional cost of storing and grading oversized coins. Some people already complain about the one ounce silver eagles being too large a value for bartering in case bullion becomes the money of choice. The imprinted 25 cents face value is ridiculously low, it should have been slightly more plausible with something like 25 dollars at least. Also since these were dropped unprotected into plastic mint tubes, they will all be expected to suffer from surface flaws. Furthermore, the US mint is coming out with too many different bullion products.

I feel sorry for persons who bought these for high amounts from HSN or on ebay, and those people will of course be very unhappy and unwilling to sell for a loss for many years, so for that reason alone the prices may not come down to a slight advance above melt for quite a while. But eventually they will. I see no future appreciation in value for these as collectibles. If you bought any of these directly from an authorized purchaser of the mint, for the 10% mark-up or so, what you paid is all I see you ever recovering in eventual resale value, after the hoopla and mania driven by the coin scalpers has subsided. I see the eventual fate of these coins to be merely very expensive paper weights.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Or...now that the mint has seen the popularity of this large coin...they may make 300,000 of each next year and actually sell them as bullion...at decent bullion price...with decent bullion availability. Which would make this year's small mintage be IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i> >>

It might weaken the flip for now, it will not kill it, 33K is 33K. >>

Cakes- This is as flip as flip gets! Where's a dolphin icon when you need it! Watch this set in 6 weeks when the P set comes out and there are 5,000 bullion sets on eBay. It will be killed 10x over and selling for $1000......or close. Just my opinion of course. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even rookies to this boardimage >>

Ok. Would you agree that there are some flips that no one can make sense of. For instance, the 09 Harrison Mint rolls...Makes no sense. LP1s...Makes no sense, 95W Silver Eagle....Makes no sense. 09 Chronicles Set....makes no sense. All of these flips are still commanding rediculous premiums. I believe that these 2010 ATBs will be added to the "Makes no Sense" club. And all I know for sure is that the Makes no sense Club is exactly what makes collecting and flipping so much fun.
  • Oh and by the way, how many posts do you need before you're not considered a green horn anymore?

<< <i>Oh and by the way, how many posts do you need before you're not considered a green horn anymore? >>

I believe you need 867 to not be considered a green hornimage

<< <i>Oh and by the way, how many posts do you need before you're not considered a green horn anymore? >>

Since you joined in Dec. 2010 and your only interest for joining was the ATB coins you will always be a greenhorn...............j/k

• << <i>Oh and by the way, how many posts do you need before you're not considered a green horn anymore? >>

Let's start our own forum and find out =)

• << <i>

I believe you need 867 to not be considered a green hornimage >>

Well, here's to 867image Looking forward to it. That is unless these Pucks really do come down to melt value, then I won't have anything else to comment on.image
  • And some flips just never pan out despite a "low mintage".

Go on eBay and see what the State Quarter "Formation of the Union" sets are selling for. Only 50,000 were made and the original cost was $49.95.

If anyone needs several of these still sealed in the shrink wrap, please let me know image
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

<< <i>

Since you joined in Dec. 2010 and your only interest for joining was the ATB coins you will always be a greenhorn...............j/k >>

Not true!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when will the bubble burst??
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First a statement...I do believe that there will be a latent "CW" effect in that some collectors who might not have considered buying these, might have second thoughts...or might wait to buy until the hoopla subsides, which would also serve to put a floor under the price.

And second, a question...for those who think these are essentially glorified paperweights, does the same hold true for the pending numismatic version? Or is that still a must have despite any "butt ugly" design issues?
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And some flips just never pan out despite a "low mintage".

Go on eBay and see what the State Quarter "Formation of the Union" sets are selling for. Only 50,000 were made and the original cost was $49.95.

If anyone needs several of these still sealed in the shrink wrap, please let me know image >>

$3.75!!

GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Its a mad, mad, mad, mad worldimage---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭

<< <i>

I believe you need 867 to not be considered a green hornimage >>

Cool. At my current rate of posting I estimate only another seven years or so and I will no longer be a greenhorn. image
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    BTW,... can anyone confirm, didn't A-Mark say more were going to be sold (or reserved for sale) again at some point today???
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
    And speaking of greenhorns:

Greenhorn, California
    Greenhorn, Oregon
    The Greenhornes, a rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio
    <<BTW,... can anyone confirm, didn't A-Mark say more were going to be sold (or reserved for sale) again at some point today??? >>

Too late...as the herd has now decided that they're going to LOSE money on trhese...and don't want to buy any more!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And some flips just never pan out despite a "low mintage".

If anyone needs several of these still sealed in the shrink wrap, please let me know image >>

$3.75!!

image >>

I bought one for maybe $15 incl. shipping?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i><<BTW,... can anyone confirm, didn't A-Mark say more were going to be sold (or reserved for sale) again at some point today??? >>

Too late...as the herd has now decided that they're going to LOSE money on trhese...and don't want to buy any more! >>

I'm so sure I'll be losing a boatload of cash, I'll buy as many as I can at AP prices! image
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let me be the first to claim...

a milk spot!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>95W Silver Eagle....Makes no sense. 09 Chronicles Set....makes no sense. All of these flips are still commanding rediculous premiums >>

95W silver eagle....no sense? how about 1,000,000 collectors of the series

09 Lincoln Set.....no sense? how about arguably the second most collected set of all time, has to be 500,000 collectors

ATB's make no sense....NOW. Maybe they will have a big following in time. No doubt 33,000 is low - but based on what I have be seeing.....lots of FLIPPERS.

This set will tank for a few weeks - then hopefully resume an upward trend.

I do agree that HIGH GRADE CERTIFIED's will lead the way.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Since you joined in Dec. 2010 and your only interest for joining was the ATB coins you will always be a greenhorn...............j/k >>

Not true! >>

I like to post on the Carr 64 Peace Dollars too. LOL.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<BTW,... can anyone confirm, didn't A-Mark say more were going to be sold (or reserved for sale) again at some point today??? >>

Too late...as the herd has now decided that they're going to LOSE money on trhese...and don't want to buy any more! >>

I'm so sure I'll be losing a boatload of cash, I'll buy as many as I can at AP prices! image >>

There is nothing wrong with the current AP Prices.

I'll be really curious at what the collector versions sell for on the Mint's website.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>95W Silver Eagle....Makes no sense. 09 Chronicles Set....makes no sense. All of these flips are still commanding rediculous premiums >>

95W silver eagle....no sense? how about 1,000,000 collectors of the series

09 Lincoln Set.....no sense? how about arguably the second most collected set of all time, has to be 500,000 collectors

ATB's make no sense....NOW. Maybe they will have a big following in time. No doubt 33,000 is low - but based on what I have be seeing.....lots of FLIPPERS.

This set will tank for a few weeks - then hopefully resume an upward trend.

I do agree that HIGH GRADE CERTIFIED's will lead the way. >>

With all due respect, my point was referring to the fact that the LP2s, 3s and 4s which are also lincolns, sell for less than the $8.95 issue price. The Chronicles set can be put together for way less if all you are interested in is the coins. It makes no sense that true collectors would pay more for packaging. Right? Also, regardless of collector base, there is no reasonable justification for the 95W 1 oz silver coin to sell for $3000. IMHO
  • just spoke with MTB to make sure they applied my check to my account. they said my set is slated to be sent tomorrow. sweet!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not true! >>

I like to post on the Carr 64 Peace Dollars too. LOL. >>

I will wait for agentjim007 to verify your posts.

If your first post was on the ATB thread you sir are unworthy...........lol

<< <i>just spoke with MTB to make sure they applied my check to my account. they said my set is slated to be sent tomorrow. sweet! >>

So I just called as well... mine will be out the door by Monday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file