Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan on EBAY

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember driving around all night going to 7-11's in 1988 (I was in high school and my friend just got a car) trying to find stores that just got their shipment of 1988 Fleer Baseball. They were selling for $1.25 a pack at the local card shop because people were going nuts for Gregg Jeffires RC's. We finally found a store that just unloaded them off the truck and we told them we wanted the whole box. First, the owner didn't want to sell it to us for .50 a pack, because he heard they were worth more. So, then he disappeared into the back and told us he would only sell us the whole box if we ALSO bought the rest of the box of 1987-88 Fleer Basketball cards that had been sitting on the shelf for months without selling. He eventually agreed he would take $10 for the 30 packs of basketball and let us buy all the baseball too. Being a basketball freak I stayed up til about 7 AM making almost three sets of basketball on my floor. That is how hot basketball cards were in early 1988.

Things eventually started to change, and when they did, they changed quickly and dramatically. >>

Let's not tarnish this thread with the likes of Gregg Jeffries or 88 Fleer baseball. After all, this is the unofficial, yet official 80's era wrestling thread.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Back to wrestling. Yet another story to add to your "Former wrestler overdoses and/or gets arrested for drug possession" folder.

THONOTOSASSA, Fla.
    9/5/2010

— "Authorities say former WWE wrestler Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has been arrested on drug charges in Florida. A Hillsborough County Sheriff's arrest report says the 55-year-old was arrested Sunday. The report says Neidhart was yelling outside a gas station yelling and was seen swallowing several pills. The report says he had Oxycontin pills and methadone that were prescribed to someone else. The sheriff's office says the person whose name was on the pills had reported that her medication was stolen from her home. The Tampa Tribune reports that Neidhart is being held on charges of possession and trafficking in a controlled substance and burglary."

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Should I just bid right now or should I use a snipping service. What do you think dpeck?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of wrestlers live short lives.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should bid!!

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    DPECK,

Your set is very impressive. I just viewed it in the Registry. Do you have plans to start sets of the other two series on the Registry?
    I am looking forward to getting my stuff graded too.

Very well done!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Dpeck, in case you are unaware, you may want to look into the Set Registry Benefits. It looks like you're eligible for a couple free gradings since two of your sets are above 90% complete. I've taken advantage of this a few times, and they're pretty quick in responding and sending you your vouchers.
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of wrestlers live short lives..... >>

Actors need excessive roids.
  • Options
    Jeff thank you very much for pointing that out to me. I have a few more cards I need to get graded and like an idiot I forgot to get one card graded.

I some how did not include Bobby Heenan in my submission. I was having a hard time picking one and then put them in the wrong pile.
  • Options
    The Brain is one of the coolest living humans.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    A sealed set that looks awesome of each of the 82 Wrestling All Stars hit EBAY today.

Anyone care to guess what they sell for? I don't see myself winning these.
  • Options
    My max bid was $600 and it went for $1,038.83 and the sealed 82B went for $425.00. My max bid on the sealed 82B was $225.00.

Nice numbers here.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    These sets and singles are all over the place. Prices are off the charts!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I some how (sic) did not include Bobby Heenan in my submission. >>

I'm going to bet that this is the first time the above sentence has ever been either uttered or written in the history of the English language.
  • Options
    Yes probably so.

I told you guys these were heating up. The top bidders today do not collect wrestling cards.

They had less then 10% of the items they bid on that were wrestling.

Just keep watching this freight train!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Choooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Choooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Have you seen any sealed sets of the 1983 Series A sell on ebay? What do you think those will bring in this market?
  • Options

My new Andre, this one is best in the world!
  • Options
    One sold a week or so ago for $150 +8 shipping

There is a set that the guy who sold each of this has listed and it is at $150 now, may go for $200+
  • Options
    I miss this thread.

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Since the last post said "I miss this thread" - I thought I'd revive if just for a day. I was looking through an old wrestling program from the 1985 NWA Night of Champions and found the ad below. I had all 3 series of this and sold them about a year before they got really hot. I was happy to get about $150 for the 3 sets at the time. Ouch - wish I had held onto them a little bit longer.

• Options
    Thanks for posting. Please send me a PM with your email I would love to have this info.

• Options
    For anyone who is new to CU and has a little time on their hands this weekend- Read this thread from the beginning and don't skip any pages. Yes yes, I realize its longer than the Old Testament, but there is much to be learned here. I nominated this for thread of the year and got laughed at, but I still think it was the best of '10.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Anyone selling any PSA graded '82 Hogan's? Great thread! Thanks!
  • Options
    Rick just sold a PSA 7 on EBAY.

I am not aware of any other one's for sale right now.

• Options
    Thanks Dpeck. I purchased that from Rick(Thanks Rick). If anyone has for sale please pm me or reply
  • Options
    You got a good price I think. The market is still not aware of how much more tough a PSA grade is in these vs. Beckett. In a few more years it will be clear how tough these are in general.

• Options
    It has become one of my favorite cards!
  • Options
    Yes the Hogan 82 is just a classic. You can never have too many.

• Options
    This thread needs a signed Hogan.

• Options
    Just read through this thread today. Fun trip down memory lane!

• Options
    Yeah I just read through the first half, I've done it before, but quite exhausting!

It has to feel great D to have the last laugh. The cards you have the most of are still going higher, and you've been featured in PSA's magazine with your collection.

Some real jerks in that thread, most are not around or don't post anymore, but as prices started to creep up in the thread it's hilarious how everyone started asking questions. What's this worth? How about this D? I have this set.... Blah blah blah.

You stayed true to your passion of wrestling cards, and I'm glad it worked big time in your favor. Very admirable IMO.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Thanks Mike! They thought prices were high for a lot of the cards then. LOL

I have never quit buying them and have 2,251 cards now. Still not done buying.

It's been a fun journey but it is not over.
  • Options
    That is a sweet Hogan auto.

Isn't their a big Wrestling Legends signing in Florida this weekend?
  • Options
    I really don't know. It would not surprise me with Wrestlemania down in Miami this weekend.

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Hey Dpeck,
    I always enjoy the (your) wrestling card threads being a big fan of the WWF in the 80's. I have a novice question so please don't be too hard on me image

I was wondering why it seems that (relatively) so many unopened sets of these seem to surface. Again, I have very limited knowledge on the subject so maybe there aren't that many that come to market, they are just well publicized and pimped so I "feel" like there are more. But, was there ever a large unopened cache of these sets found?

I obviously understand why there is so much unopened sports card product as simple volume. But there were only 2000 sets of these produced to begin with. Not to mention, that it seems like the young wrestling fans that these were ordered for would rip through these things in a New York minute. How did so many survive intact?

Again this may have been discussed before I was following this board, but is there any light you can shed on this for me?
    Thanks
    -Scott
  • Options
    The third set which came out in 1983 is much more common in sealed form. The first two from 82 are not.

When Norman Keitzer sold his rights to the photos he sold his remaining cards to Brian who owns Wrestleprints.com. He still has sealed sets for sale of the 83 edition.

These did not sell well and there were a large amount left over and that is why they surface more. The star power is much lower in the third set but the cards are still very tough to find in nice condition.

If you talk to dealers who were around in the early 80's these were considered garbage and very few took interest as they did not want to hurt their reputations. People just laughed at them similar to when I first start posting about them.

You can find the 83 sets pop up on a semi regular basis but the two 82 sets that just surfaced it was nearly a year and a half since the last one's hit EBAY.

• Options
    What do you think the current market price is for a BGS 9.5 Hogan? With the singles all seeming to rise, what would this bring?
    Also, are any of the BGS 9 or 9.5 Andre and Hogans good enough to cross over to PSA in the same grade?
  • Options
    Greg I don't know how to answer that. I think a BGS 9.5 sold a month or so ago for $1,500.

I have failed twice on BGS 9 Andre cross overs and have never tried with a BGS 9.5 Hogan. I did try and cross a BGS 9 Hogan with no luck and then cracked it out and got it signed.

All five of the BGS Andre cards I have now sit in lower graded PSA holders. The other three were two 8.5's that went to an 8 and a BGS 8 that went to a PSA 6.

There is a nice Hogan up for auction that looks good but may not have enough lower border to make it. I have had better luck with crossing cards that I have cracked out but it is not a great percentage.

I think the Hogan currently on EBAY is the best looking one I have seen in a BGS 9.5 holder and the only one that I think could have a chance to cross that I have seen. The others I know for certain won't because of top to bottom centering.

The cards have been strong of late so no telling where the Hogan ends.

• Options
    Does Beckett allow you to relay which cards have been cracked out so that they can be removed from the population report?
    I am concerned that the pop reports show a significantly higher total of high grade cards than are actually out there due to crack-resubmits. This in turn makes the perceived supply much higher than it really is.
  • Options
    I am not sure. I saved a number of the serial numbers. I am down to only 1 BGS graded card and have cracked out quite a few.

The PSA reports are fairly accurate for these and maybe over state the supply by 40 to 50 cards.

There are a few cards like Ric Flair, Jerry Lawler, and Jesse Ventura where one of the PSA 10's were crossed to BGS so the total's are one card too many.

The recent strength in the market is going to lead to more cards getting graded I would think but not huge amount. The higher prices will certainly bring out supply but I think the market can absorb it quite easily.

As I said from the beginning, it would only take a handful of collectors to get serious about the cards and the prices would sky rocket.

The other big issue is I own over 44% of the PSA graded cards which obviously restricts supply a great deal as well and makes tough cards even more rare because mine are not for sale.

• Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    BGS 9.5 Hogan up one Ebay. Has this one been sold before?
    hogan 9.5
  • Options
    This seller had one listed a while back and I thought it sold. He may have found another one or something was iffy with the transaction.

This is a nice card but certainly won't be the first PSA 10.

• Options
    centering would get hammered by PSA on this one........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BBG,

The yellow cards are virtually impossible to find with 10 centering. Most of them are cut with very little lower border. When I first started getting these graded I did not realize how much they would take that into account. There are certainly a number of Hogan's out there floating around that have strong attributes but the top to bottem centering is an issue that you just can't get around.

I am still in the camp that says there will never be a PSA 10 of this card and that is unfortunate. I certainly could be wrong but it is really going to be tough to line up all of the issues that must be present for a Gem Mint grade.

The reason that there are quite a number of PSA 10's popping up from the third set is due to the fact that many have excellent centering and if they are pack fresh can score strong grades.

The recent flury of activity has caused the Pop reports to expand a great deal on the 1983 set but so far both the 82A and 82B have remained extremely tough in ultra high grade.

I have said it before that I think a true PSA 10 Hulk Hogan would go for $5,000 or perhaps higher and would most likely end up in a large collectors collection and possibly be their only wrestling card.
  • Options
    I miss great threads............
  • Options

<< <i>I miss great threads............ >>

This one was definitely a wild ride!

I read my last comment in the thread and I am upping my Hogan estimate to $10,000 or more for the first PSA 10 if one ever hits. So far my prediction of none is holding true but obviously time will tell if I am right.

• Options

It is looking more and more likely we will never see a 10. I check the pop report every day and two of the PSA 9's were under review and are back in the pop report. They have been reviewed numerous times and perhaps one day PSA will change their mind. There was also a PSA 9 Carnation Ric Flair being reviewed for the second time and no luck there either.

I am starting to wonder if the estimate of 2,000 sets is indeed too high and Jim Cornette's of no more than 500 is closer to being accurate. So far there have been 287 copies reviewed by PSA, BGS, and SGC. Some of these are duplicates with the only SGC 98 coming from a PSA 9. We are seven and a half plus years into the actively graded phase of cards from this set being graded and the number of new cards being submitted has once again come to a halt. I have several thousand raw cards and anything that is NM-MT or higher for the most part has been submitted. The longer we go without a 10 the higher the price one will bring. There were dyer predictions on the value of the Hogan card after his recorded comments were released but the impact never materialized. The only thing certain is I will be checking every day! Haha

BGS 83 Gem Mint 8

SGC18 Gem Mint 1

PSA and PSA/DNA 186 Gem Mint 0

• Options

@waverlee said:
    Just got back from my meeting with my financial advisor and he was very interested in these wrestling cards and the recent surge in prices.

He read through this thread and thinks that Dpeck100 is a genius for being able to identify an underpriced and relatively tough item to find. He mentioned that the higher Dpeck pays on these cards at this point, the more he will wind up making in the long run because he has acquired so many of them at a cheaper price point. For example, lets say that he has 8 Hogan's that he has paid an average price of $100 per card on, and then buys the next one at $1000, his average cost per card would only be $200 at that point, leaving him with a profit of $800 per card. The interesting thing that he mentioned though was that the lesser known wrestlers will yield a greater return on your money at this time as the cards of the guys like Adrian Adonis, Lou Albano, Bam Bam Bigelow, Dory Funk, Flash Funk, Bob Backlund, Junkyard Dog, Leaping Lanny Poffo, Hillbilly Jim, etc.... will increase in price along with the Hogan, Andre, and Flair cards. As the key cards will increase in price, the commons will go up exponentially more. The same happened with 1952 Topps as the Mantle card rose in price, the commons followed and now cost at least $200 for a common.

The financial analyst said that he was in the same position as Dpeck was in 1985 with everyone laughing at him for buying a stock that others felt was overpriced and had already gone up too soon, too fast. He still went ahead and bought while everyone thought he was crazy, that stock happened to be none other than BRKA, he paid $1800 per share and he said he recently sold some at $120,000 per share. Maybe Dpeck will have the last laugh here. Only time will tell.

Haha

This is my favorite post of all time. Obviously Waverlee was joking but the analysis about the lesser known names moving up in tandem and actually being the better investment was spot on.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mentioning Dory Funk and Leaping Lanny Poffo always makes my day.

At some point you and wrestling card king will own about 90% of the graded examples!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.