• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card that started it all!
  • Options

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops!
  • Options
    What the hell Barf??? Get your ass in the penalty box... 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike. image

Good seein ya back Dpeck, you shoulda had the 1000.
  • Options
    I tried, it took to long to post the pic.

• Options

<< <i>What the hell Barf??? Get your ass in the penalty box... 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike. image >>

• Options
    Thanks for bidding on my auction Trent, did you see what it sold for?
  • Options

• Options
    Ya I was surprised, congrats, that seemed like a really good price. image

Edit to add: My punny little bid was actually quite embarassing, the cards went for three times my bid. image
  • Options
    Checkout the edit up there. image

• Options
    I think it was a good price too.

For all the things I was ripped for on this thread I thought for certain someone would have read the auction and posted a few words about the description image

The guy who bought it has won ever Hogan Topps auction I have done so far. I posted my last good one tonight.
  • Options
    Barf I thought I was seeing double, nice work!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Checkout the edit up there. image >>

Nice, lol.
  • Options
    Heading to bed. Good night fellas.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'm headin to the fridge. This calls for some celebration. image
  • Options
    I'd have a couple with you Trent but I'm heading to bed as well. image

• Options
    The 'thread of the year' competition is so over, it's not even funny.

DPeck really should have been allowed to be the one to make the 1000th post.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe I missed the 1000th post!

I'll never forgive my 3 month old for this.
  • Options
    1000 posts has to be bigger then Strasburg -Tommy John
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back David.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hey thanks!!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    DPeck,

What do you think a NM/MT complete set of 1982 Wrestling Stars Series A, B, and C would sell for if the Andre and Hogan were a bit less than NM?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I would guess around $700.00. If you are thinking about selling one, I would sell the set minus the Andre and Hogan, and list them seperately.

It is really amazing the prices many of these cards have reached. Seller says, corners are dinged, there is a big crease..and it goes for $300.00. Trimmed cards hitting three digits.

It is fair to say Dpeck was spot on with these cards three months (?) ago. One of the better hobby picks I have seen.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>It is fair to say Dpeck was spot on with these cards three months (?) ago. One of the better hobby picks I have seen. >>

If you are a seller, I think everyone here would agree with that statement. If you are a buyer, better off spending the money on beer and lottery tickets.
  • Options
    Do you think there are any sleeper picks in the 1983 set, Dpeck?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    When was Hacksaw Butch Reed's rookie?
  • Options
    There are a lot of sleepers in this set.

I have been saying for 15 years that this is the 1986 Fleer Basketball of "other sports"sets, besides that there is a much lower print run and much higher condition sensitivity.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>There are a lot of sleepers in this set.

I have been saying for 15 years that this is the 1986 Fleer Basketball of "other sports"sets, besides that there is a much lower print run and much higher condition sensitivity. >>

Ok, so what eventually happened to high grade 86 Fleer basketball singles? Once most people who wanted them actually got them, the prices dropped. The demand decreased while the supply remained the same (or increased, if you're talking about 3rd party grading.)

I would agree that there were fewer of those wrestling sets printed than 86 fleer bask, but I'd be willing to guess that there are WAY more people who are interested in them than the wrestling cards.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, once all the freaks out there who want these cards actually get them, the prices will plummet.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    One can also note that Dpeck and one other bidder has pushed the prices of these cards. Dpeck noting in this thread he is not really wanting them, while doing this, the other bidder, canceling bids, likely doing the same.

However, if you check the wrestling forums, like the one linked a couple weeks ago, they trade the old wrestling belts as well, and many in the $100,000 range. There is a market that exceeds these two bidders, where it is...I am not sure.

If I had any I would sell now....(but maybe keep a Hulk or Flair RC).
  • Options
    Let me make something clear. I do not bid on any card I am not willing to buy. I have never canceled a bid and won't.

You are making reference to my comment on the Jesse Ventura I was glad I did not win for $21 and sold for $39.50. I got caught up in the frenzy that day and was not excited to win it in that condition. I obvioulsy had no impact on the out come if the winning bid was nearly two times mine.

I bid on all the cards becuase I am not done buying and some times I get lucky and win a few at great prices and others I pay full price for.

I think the key cards in this set will pull the prices higher for them all.

When making reference to the 86 Fleer Basketball set I believe it is being done with the mind set that these are turning into the iconic wrestling cards. They are the best sets to have by far.

Of the three BGS cards just auctioned off I said I was most interested in the Andre and did win that card. The Hogan which sold for $997 was neither me nor Diddy the other person referenced. He has bought a lot of cards and did have a bidding issue recently. He canceled his bid at $510 and the seller canceled all of his bids but the Hogan went on to sell at $860.

I think you are giving me too much credit for the current prices. I don't think anyone can control a market and while this is a small one I am not that powerfull, trust me.

The reason these cards are going up is very simple, there were 2000 or less sets of each made, many are damaged, you will never see a flood of high end material. Just like any market there will be upswings and downswings but I am very confident you will see much higher prices over time. The big three have moved and may soften, but the gap is so wide between those three cards and the other 105 and I am completely convinced the rest of the cards will get more expensive.
  • Options

Here is the Andre I won. This is the best example that exist's and with a 9 for corners is simply amazing. I plan to send this to PSA and try and get it to cross over for my set.
  • Options
    Exactly, my comparison to the 1986 Fleer set was meant in terms of its player and RC selection, as many years had passed between mainstream wrestling card sets at the time of release.

I do remember when boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball did not sell for $10 a box. A year later, they were $100. A year or two later, they were $1000. A year or two after that, they were $10,000.

Demand wise, these will never have the long term sustainability of the basketball cards, but the supply side is low enough where they will never again be almost without "value" as they were six months ago.

I have quite an accumulation of these, in singles and sets, that represent purchases made over the past 25 years. But there just is not much product out there in top condition. Even so, I am selling mine at the current levels and hoping I don't feel the same as I did when selling Jordan RC's I bought for a few bucks for $100, only to see them jump to $1000...
  • Options
    Well if you are a seller now is obviously a better time them six months ago!

There is no doubt the number of collectors of wrestling anything is much smaller but with a controlled supply side of high end cards they are not getting cheap again.

I am patiently waiting for my account to show cards shipped so I can see the grades of the Flair and Hogan's. I am hoping to get some 8's. I will post them when they pop which should be today or tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>I do remember when boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball did not sell for $10 a box. >>

No you don't. Original retail cost when they were released in 86 was $12.60. By the middle of the 87-88 season they were $3 a pack.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Let me make something clear. I do not bid on any card I am not willing to buy. I have never canceled a bid and won't.

You are making reference to my comment on the Jesse Ventura I was glad I did not win for $21 and sold for $39.50. I got caught up in the frenzy that day and was not excited to win it in that condition. I obvioulsy had no impact on the out come if the winning bid was nearly two times mine.

I bid on all the cards becuase I am not done buying and some times I get lucky and win a few at great prices and others I pay full price for.

I think the key cards in this set will pull the prices higher for them all.

When making reference to the 86 Fleer Basketball set I believe it is being done with the mind set that these are turning into the iconic wrestling cards. They are the best sets to have by far.

Of the three BGS cards just auctioned off I said I was most interested in the Andre and did win that card. The Hogan which sold for $997 was neither me nor Diddy the other person referenced. He has bought a lot of cards and did have a bidding issue recently. He canceled his bid at $510 and the seller canceled all of his bids but the Hogan went on to sell at $860.

I think you are giving me too much credit for the current prices. I don't think anyone can control a market and while this is a small one I am not that powerfull, trust me.

The reason these cards are going up is very simple, there were 2000 or less sets of each made, many are damaged, you will never see a flood of high end material. Just like any market there will be upswings and downswings but I am very confident you will see much higher prices over time. The big three have moved and may soften, but the gap is so wide between those three cards and the other 105 and I am completely convinced the rest of the cards will get more expensive. >>

I am giving you credit for bidding on all the cards, as you just noted again. Meaning, you and the other guy doing the same ARE affecting the value on almost every card.
  • Options
    lsutigers,

Your history is not correct. Those boxes could be had by the case out of SCD, from several dealers, for $99 a case, even by 1989.

I was buying them for $1.50 a pack in 1988 from a local retail store that was happy to sell them for that.
  • Options
    And Billwaltonsbeard,

Off the top of my head, Butch Reed's RC would likely be 1987 Topps.
  • Options
    He is in the 1986 Monty Gum Set

Butch Reed
  • Options
    There was a story on Beckett.com from the National where a guy said he bought them in 1989 for $14 a box and then sold them to the Baseball Card Exchange guys for big money. I think the prices went up a lot right around then as the 1989 Hoops set came out and I started buying those cards to get the David Robinson. I think by 1990 or 1991 the Jordan was going for $200 or more. That was big money for a modern card at the time; especially to a young kid.
  • Options
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 17298169 NEAR MINT 7 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card US
    1 2 17298170 NEAR MINT 7 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card US
    1 3 17298171 NEAR MINT 7 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card US
    1 4 17298172 NEAR MINT 7 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card US
    2 1 17298173 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card US
    2 2 17298174 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card US
    2 3 17298175 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card US
    2 4 17298176 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card US
    2 5 17298177 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card US
    Total Items: 9

This confirms that getting a Hulk Hogan that is higher then a 7 is very tough!! I am very pleased to get these grades on these cards and this makes me feel comfortable with PSA. There should have not been any 9's here.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The Nature Boy!!
  • Options
    Holy cow!!! I just saw a Hulk Hogan 1985 PSA 10 on ebay. I literally wet myself when I saw it. I have to own that card.
  • Options
    In all seriousness that PSA 10 sticker will sell for a lot. I bought a complete set with stickers and got them in the mail yesterday.

When I was looking through them I said to myself a Hogan sticker 10 could go for a lot. Then the only one so far was listed.

The seller of all of these cards is who I bought the PSA 10 Flair from, his auctions do very well.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is fair to say Dpeck was spot on with these cards three months (?) ago. One of the better hobby picks I have seen. >>

If you are a seller, I think everyone here would agree with that statement. If you are a buyer, better off spending the money on beer and lottery tickets. >>

LOL.

These cards have a chance to dive in value quicker than Strasburg.
  • Options

<< <i>When was Hacksaw Butch Reed's rookie? >>

LOL
  • Options
    Get lost. If you wanted to run your mouth you should have shown up a few weeks ago.

• Options
    I'm getting exsited now, less than 24 hours to go for the Hulk Hogan PSA 10. I hope I win
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    There was a story on Beckett.com from the National where a guy said he bought them in 1989 for $14 a box and then sold them to the Baseball Card Exchange guys for big money. I think the prices went up a lot right around then as the 1989 Hoops set came out and I started buying those cards to get the David Robinson. I think by 1990 or 1991 the Jordan was going for $200 or more. That was big money for a modern card at the time; especially to a young kid.

Timeline's way off. Right after Hoops Series 1 came out and the basketball card craze started, the rest of the market caught fire and 1988 Fleer packs were selling for $10-$15 if you could find them. Even before Hoops came out no one was buying 86 Fleer boxes for $14. 1989 Fleer packs hit $4-$5 per by the time Hoops series 2 came out as people started to go after the lesser rookies like KJ, Richmond, Majerle, Strickland, etc.... 86 Fleer packs were pretty much unavailable, but they had reached $100 if you could find them. Jordan was a $250 card. By late 1990 the Jordan card was $350-$400 and steadily rising.

Bill, at the end of 1986, a ton of retail stores had leftover boxes/cases of 86 Fleer and they were trying to unload them any way they could. I've heard stories about people turning cases of them down at $3-$5 a box. A lot were probably trashed. 1987 wasn't as readily available since most stores didn't want them due to the 86 debacle, so the production run was a lot lower.

That's about all I know.

Lee
  • Options
    I remember driving around all night going to 7-11's in 1988 (I was in high school and my friend just got a car) trying to find stores that just got their shipment of 1988 Fleer Baseball. They were selling for $1.25 a pack at the local card shop because people were going nuts for Gregg Jeffires RC's. We finally found a store that just unloaded them off the truck and we told them we wanted the whole box. First, the owner didn't want to sell it to us for .50 a pack, because he heard they were worth more. So, then he disappeared into the back and told us he would only sell us the whole box if we ALSO bought the rest of the box of 1987-88 Fleer Basketball cards that had been sitting on the shelf for months without selling. He eventually agreed he would take $10 for the 30 packs of basketball and let us buy all the baseball too. Being a basketball freak I stayed up til about 7 AM making almost three sets of basketball on my floor. That is how hot basketball cards were in early 1988.

Things eventually started to change, and when they did, they changed quickly and dramatically.