Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Type "B" priceguide post. Edit: Price synopsis in first post.

Comments

• docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Just completed my PCGS type B Quarter set.
    MS66: 57, 58, 59, 60, 62, 63.
    MS65: 56, 61, 64.
    Now looking to complete a full MS66 set.

I have several MS66 1960's as well as a couple of MS65 1962's, a MS65 1961 and a MS65 1963 if anyone has interest
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just completed my PCGS type B Quarter set.
    MS66: 57, 58, 59, 60, 62, 63.
    MS65: 56, 61, 64.
    Now looking to complete a full MS66 set.

I have several MS66 1960's as well as a couple of MS65 1962's, a MS65 1961 and a MS65 1963 if anyone has interest >>

thats really cool i am just trying to get a set of 65's together, sent off a c type and just hope its a ms something, what is your C grade thats the hard one. i think if no one here is going after that whole set i may do so....... back to work today image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    1962 has surpassed 1861 in total PCGS Populations by 1.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed my 90% silver type B Quarter set.
    PCGS MS66: 1956
    VF-30 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964

I can't seem to find an VF-30 for the 1956 year!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Normally I would chime in and say you need the 1969 D - 1972 D type B's for a complete set.
    But I can't. You said PCGS, so I must remain speechless for now. Maybe some day it will change.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1962 has surpassed 1861 in total PCGS Populations by 1. >>

Someone just nailed 4 in MS65 and 1 in MS64, according to this weeks pops.
    I'll come up with something.
    I wish I could find type B's in 69-72. No luck yet. I do have a PCGS type C 1964d in MS64 though.
  • There are 5 new Ebay listings today, but 9 completed.
    So the count is now 84 offerings.
  • Teletrade, tonight, 29 August 2010

1957 Type B, toned, unattributed, PCGS 66 $100.00
  • Teletrade 1 Sept 2010
    1961 B PCGS 63 $39
    Teletrade, on Sept 6:
    1959 MS64, unattributed, 100% white....$6.00

<< <i>Teletrade, tonight, 29 August 2010

1957 Type B, toned, unattributed, PCGS 66 $100.00 >>

Yes, this coin was toned, but it's only toning a Mother could love! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>Teletrade, tonight, 29 August 2010

1957 Type B, toned, unattributed, PCGS 66 $100.00 >>

Yes, this coin was toned, but it's only toning a Mother could love! image >>

Lee, I SOOO agree with your statement!!! I considered bidding, but I just couldn't bring myself to hit the 'enter' button.

I compare the ugliness of that particular coin to the ugly dog joke.....

'If my dog was that ugly, I'd shave his a$$ and teach him to walk backward'

That coin is the type of coin to 'bury' in a registry set...simply for points, NOT for display!
  • Teletrade 12 Sept 2010

1964 D C NGC 64 $400
    9/12/2010 eBay - 1957 Toned Type B MS65 - $15.69 + $2.50 shipping.

The name is LEE!
    does anyone know what happen to the price guide mine no longer shows any of the B type quarters anyone else notice this ? population reports shows just not the price guide.......................

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • It's worse than that. I can't display any prices other than most active. I get sent to the store with no exit.

http://www.pcgs.com/store/p-24-pcgs-coinfacts-online-access.aspx
  • Teletrade 20 Sept. 2010

1957 type B ANACS 65 $27
    1963 type B ANACS 64 $30

<< <i>

<< <i>figured you must be doing a upgrade just picked up this lamination error on a 1956 and yes its a B type too. Link >>

Cool! And on a 56 no less!

I recently picked up this 1961 Clipper for $30! Sad to say, I nearly wet myself! Of course at my age, thats not really saying a lot since I nearly wet myself everyday. image

image >>

This coin was submitted under Error Service as an FS-901 Type B and was designated "Genuine (92 - Cleaned) ". WTH?

The name is LEE!
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Type Bs going for prices like this is sacreligious.

While sweet picks for bidders they certainly slow down submissions, considering cost to make.

<< 9/12/2010 eBay - 1957 Toned Type B MS65 - $15.69 + $2.50 shipping. >>

Wow! Highway Robbery. image
    imageimage congrats on the pickup lee have to love the b errors3dancingsmiley; Going to send in a few more of the b's and my c came back ms63 thks to a certain member here.....

Link to My Registry Set.

Lee....that stinks for that clipper to get '92'ed'. Whatcha got planned for it now?

1tommy, a Type C in MS63???? That forum member must be a very very nice guy!!! image

<< <i>Lee....that stinks for that clipper to get '92'ed'. Whatcha got planned for it now?

1tommy, a Type C in MS63???? That forum member must be a very very nice guy!!! image >>

I think he needs to resubmit and as the 3 of us know if at first you don't succeed try again, sometimes a coin can be au58 and 1 month later 63 mmmmmm makes you wonder. And i know i owe someone big time, need a superbird? have an extra one lol image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Teletrade Oct 11, 2010
    1960 type B PCGS MS65 $50.

Ebay Oct 12, 2010
    A search on "quarter type B" brings back 89 entries, a new record. A very few of these are not the B's we know.

Things seem rather quiet on the B front other than Ebay.

<< <i>Teletrade Oct 11, 2010
    1960 type B PCGS MS65 $50.

Ebay Oct 12, 2010
    A search on "quarter type B" brings back 89 entries, a new record. A very few of these are not the B's we know.

Things seem rather quiet on the B front other than Ebay. >>

Perhaps because folks are tired of selling them for less than grading and attribution fees?

The name is LEE!
  • Teletrade 13 Oct 2012

1960 type B unattributed PCGS 64 $18
    1960 type B attributed PCGS 65 $42
  • It certainly has been rather quiet of late on Teletrade as far as type B or C quarters go.

Meanwhile on Ebay, a search for "quarter type B" today brings back 101 entries which is a new high. Five of these yesterday were Standing Liberty quarters with "B" in the description. I haven't been paying much attention to type B's on Ebay. So many seem overpriced to me or unattributed and non TPG to boot.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

• I figured one of you guys nailed this roll, I was runner-up.....

With the exception of a few dates, none have been graded, from our hosts, since summer. I also know the pops on '64-D Type C is 1 too high, as a coin that WAS AU58 was sent back in and got an MS63 grade a month or 2 ago...it shows 35, but it's actually 34. I have a bunch of unattributed slabbed dates, as well as a bunch of raw dates. Some may go to the smelter should silver go up past $30, as the raws were picked off as unattributed, for unattributed money (meaning very cheap....cheap enough that they'll worth more by being melted). The '57, '58, '59, '60 and '63 aren't worth grading unless you have an MS66.
  • <<I figured one of you guys nailed this roll, I was runner-up.....

1958>>

How many type B's do you think was in the roll? From my experience with 1956 and 1958 live rolls, I would only expect a few.

• How many type B's do you think was in the roll? From my experience with 1956 and 1958 live rolls, I would only expect a few.

I bought an obw roll of 58's a while back.....more then half were type "B".
  • I purchased a NGC MS 65 1964 type B attributed for $65.00 free shipping, recieved coin yesterday.
    Proud to be an American.

• << <i>I bought a roll of MS 1958 P Quarters some years back.

When I first heard of Type B quarters on the forums I got the roll, opened it and looked at the coins. Out of 40 quarters, 34 of them are Type B. I still have them and after reading this thread wonder what I should do with my "hoard" of 34 raw MS 1958 P type B quarters.

Any suggestions? >>

Type B is a pretty cool variety, but it seems like they don't fetch much of a premium if any over Type A's. Given some of this anecdotal evidence about '58's, maybe they're just not as rare as believed (or hoped)?

What are the current best guestimates of share of total mintage for Type B's by year?
    BST: Gerard Tdec1000 Scrapman1077 Dropdaflag SeaEagleCoins cucamongacoin whatsup 49thStateofMind ajia DoubleEagle59 johngerman funbunch jnd1955 ACactions PCcoins ArizonaJack feeter277 dsessom JBdimes emteeuu savoyspecial greencopper ....
  • <<What are the current best guestimates of share of total mintage for Type B's by year?>>

First, I am not sure that is the right question to ask. A bettter question would be "How many exist today?"
    There are several events that probably distorted the original ratios. I will note them by year.
    Incidently hoards of silver quarters from circulation in the East run about 1 1/2% type B. There are many D's and earlier dates in these hoards, so it appears quite a number of B's were originally made.

1956 Now and then considered the scarecest. It is at least a 2 die phenomen. Being the first B in the circulation strikes, I suspect most were circulated before anybody caught on and saved uncs. One of my assumptions will be that the B's minted depended more on proof production for that year rather than circulation strikes. 1956 proof production was the highest to date. This might be why some proof artwork dies ended up on the production floor for the first time. But the proof mintage was small compared to subsequent years.

1957 Bill Edwards said at least 5% were type B's. I don't know if he meant all 1957's or just P mint. That would be at least 2+ million versus 6+ million. Now many are circulated and many melted.

1958 This has 2 reasons for a large survival rate that we are just beginning to realize. P mintage was 6,360,00. This is so low that folk saved them. I have seen dealers whose most recent silver quarters were 1958. So a great deal more B's were saved than usual, even if unwittingly. Plus, proof mintage was almost normal and I figure that is a better indication of type B's struck. So the B's within a batch of 1958's should be higher than normal.

1959 All, in my experience and that of some others, mint sets of this year contain a P mint B quarter. I think most of these are still around.

1960 Half of mint sets have a B. Again, I assume most are still around.

1961 This has been considered the second scarcest. I don't have a reason as to what happened though.

1962 Also scarce. Now, but not previously, it seems to be as scarce as the 1961. Perhaps silver melting has hit this year hard.

1963 Not rare

1964 Scarce today, originally common. 1964's with their high mintages are great candidates for the melters.

1969 D 1,000,000 estimate. They should be mostly still around, but try to find one. Finding a 1969 D of
    any type (there are 5 alltogether) in circulation is unusual.

1970 D 500,000 estimate.

1971 D 80,000 estimated. This is a one die only coin based on 6 coins checked with the same die chip.

1972 D 40,000 estimate. This really must be the King of the B's.

edited: added 1971 D one die comment

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1958 This has 2 reasons for a large survival rate that we are just beginning to realize. P mintage was 6,360,00. This is so low that folk saved them. I have seen dealers whose most recent silver quarters were 1958. So a great deal more B's were saved than usual, even if unwittingly. Plus, proof mintage was almost normal and I figure that is a better indication of type B's struck. So the B's within a batch of 1958's should be higher than normal. >>

Another potential factor is this date would have been preferentially held back by dealers
    and collectors when they were culling their holdings for the big silver melt in '79/ '80. The
    price of this date wasn't high enough to protect it but many would send these in last.

1960 Half of mint sets have a B. Again, I assume most are still around.

I'd guess fewer than half of the '60 mint set quarters still exist. Probably only about a
    quarter of the mint sets themselves survive. It's simply economical to destroy these sets
    so a very large percentage not in the hands of the original purchasers are gone. Many of
    these went into circulation up until 1969 and a significant number were destroyed in the
    silver melt (10% ?). Fire flood and misadventure have claiomed many of the rest. Even
    the large number that survive outside the mint set are not easily retrievable since they
    are mixed in with other coins and unidentified. This greatly increases the chance they'll
    be destroyed in the near future in the new silver melt.

<< <i>1971 D 80,000 estimated. This is a one die only coin based on 6 coins checked with the same die chip.

1972 D 40,000 estimate. This really must be the King of the B's. >>

A lot of people don't realize what a tiny percentage of clads has been saved. These do not
    appear in mint sets and the odds are so poor any given early clad quarter was saved, it's en-
    tirely possible, even probable, that not a single example of modern varieties were saved. Re-
    member these are released in a small geographical area and if no one in the area saved any
    coins then none will survive. These coins were not widely known in those days and many new
    varieties are completely dispersed before they are discovered sometimes many years later.

Most modern varieties will prove to be scarce in any condition and rare or unknown in unc.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Teletrade Monday, 15 November 2010

1957 type B PCGS 66 $100
    1960 type B PCGS 66 $260
    1961 Type B PCGS 65 $85
    1962 Type B PCGS 64 $21
    1962 Type B PCGS 65 $65
    1962 Type B PCGS 65 $80
    Has the steam run out of this variety already, save for pop-tops???? The prices on the '62's were rather low, IMO.

<< <i>Has the steam run out of this variety already, save for pop-tops???? The prices on the '62's were rather low, IMO. >>

yeah it looks like it even the 61 got no respect in ms65. When i saw all those listed i kinda figured it was someone on this board and than again maybe not...........................................image

Link to My Registry Set.

• << Has the steam run out of this variety already, save for pop-tops???? The prices on the '62's were rather low, IMO. >>

I reluctantly have to agree with you. I believe in these, but the quantity available in the lesser grades exceeds the demand at this point.
    Now that they are in certain registry sets, there is a demand for top grade specimens, but that, too, will probably slacken as time passes.

<< <i><< Has the steam run out of this variety already, save for pop-tops???? The prices on the '62's were rather low, IMO. >>

I reluctantly have to agree with you. I believe in these, but the quantity available in the lesser grades exceeds the demand at this point.
    Now that they are in certain registry sets, there is a demand for top grade specimens, but that, too, will probably slacken as time passes. >>

If PCGS would not charge so danged much to get these attributed, they might be a bit more popular.

IF, we could convince Herb to do a story for Coin World, the interest might soar a bit.

BTW, I'd really like to see more of these attributed to get a real feel for availabilities.

For example, most folks know that 1963 is a relatively common year and 1961 a relatively scarce year. However, I've seen more 1961's available than 1963's. Why would that be?
    Could it be that someone submitted a couple of rolls of 1963's early on there by giving the illusion that 1963 was a common year?

I also recall a post in the past stating that 1958 was a tough year which resulted in me buying up a lot of 1958's. Populationwise, it didn;'t turn out to be that tough at all.
    1964 turned out the exact same.

Of course, all this is based upon current PCGS Population reports which seem to indicate that 1956, 1961, and 1962 appear to be the uncommon coins in ANY grade.

The above represents the TOTAL current PCGS Populations for all Type B Washington's and the sole Type C Coin.
    My reference to the 1958 Post is reflected in the total numbers of 1958's which is just behind the 1963's. There oince was a time when only 18 had been graded. That change between 8/08 and 1/09 when the pops jumped by 91 coins!

1961 and 1962 still top the leader board despite strong bidding numbers and a constant report on how difficult they are to find in any grade. That 50 coin spread to the 1964's is not something which should be ignored either. IMO, until these numbers change significantly, 1961 and 1962 will be the prize coins in ANY grade at this point in time.

Of course, the numbers could very well be skewed by the costs associated with getting these slabbed and the hesitance by many to not attempt grading anything except those that are very high grade. I have some raw 61's which will stay that way since I think MS64 would be a blessing for them but MS64's won't bring anywhere near the grading fee's much less auction associated fee's.

Oh well, it is what it is and I'm certainly always on the look out for what I consider to be the difficult coins.
    One of those MS65's on Monday's Teletrade will end up at my house. I chose the toned cheaper one as an in hand inspection may warrant a regrade.

The name is LEE!
    Are there registry sets for the type B Washingtons?
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there is a set and you can see it here.

Ken
  • Lee, a few entries above, has a table of 10 entries arranged by ascending PCGS populations with the following caption
    <<The above represents the TOTAL current PCGS Populations for all Type B Washington's and the sole Type C Coin.>>

I have taken the 72 offerings on Ebay tonight and arranged them in the same order as Lee did.
    1964 D C 0 items listed
    1956 B 0
    1961 B 5 items listed
    1962 B 5
    1964 B 4
    1957 B 12
    1959 B 12
    1956 B 12
    1958 B 13
    1963 B 9

Note that we get similiar results except for 1964 and 1963. I think Lee's table is more accurate than mine, but I think mine still has some validity for us. I will say the first 5 items in the tables are in a class by themselves and are listed in the correct order of rarity. The last 5 are the more common ones and I am not taking sides on the order here.

I first started saving these in 1973. I then felt like a Johhny-come-lately. Silver no longer circulated and some folks had been saving these for years. Today I feel like a pioneer in the field. My very first cherry picking expedition yielded live rolls of 1956. Later I hit a live bunch of live 1958's. In those days 1964 B's were considered quite common and I had no trouble finding them. I suspect the number of 1964 B's minted may have been a record. So was the mintage of the 1964 A's. I think vast quantities of these 1964's of all types went to the melters. I know in recent years 1964 B's are much harder to cherrypick than in the old days.

I have been thinking of writing an article on proof artwork quarters as soon as the leaf season is over and winter is here. I have some new info on the early days. I even believe John Sinnock put a secret mark on the 1932 type A reverse. Of course, I can't be sure and you are free to disagree with me. Yet, I consider the circumstantial evidence strong.

Having two significant simultaneous die varieties in production at the same time is at least unusual and to keep doing this from 1937-1972
    must be extraordinary. 1968 S had 2 proof only and 3 circulation style varieties. These same 5 varieties also appear on 1969 D.
    Been looking for a 64 b and picked this one up for 16 bucks off the bay. I will send in the rest of mine this next couple weeks i have completed the set woooohoooooooo thks to those here who have helped me along the way finally a complete set of something. will be interesting to see how some of the raws get graded. image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Teletrade Sunday, 5 December 2010

1959 type B PCGS 65 toned [attractively IMO] unattributed $50
    1959 type A NGC 65 Toned [attractively IMO] $9
  • Teletrade Monday December 13, 2010

1957 Type B unattributed lacquer or tape PCGS 0 $9

Currently about 70 specimens offered on Ebay. Mostly overpriced IMHO.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    All I can say is WOW!

I remember when I first began submitting the Type B Washingtons.
    Population was in SINGLE DIGITS for all years minted. They sure have
    come a long way.

It's good to see so many sent in for grading & attribution.

It's also good that they have deservedly been made parts of Registry Sets.

Considering each year's total mintage, I believe the original statement
    that the total (of all silver Type B) estimated to be @ 5% was way off.

It's been a while but current population really surprises me.
    This Variety has proven to remain difficult for several issues.

Seasons Greetings.

• << <i>Been looking for a 64 b and picked this one up for 16 bucks off the bay. I will send in the rest of mine this next couple weeks i have completed the set woooohoooooooo thks to those here who have helped me along the way finally a complete set of something. will be interesting to see how some of the raws get graded. image >>

That's weird. The leaf reaches the A and is struck like the Bs but the top arrow isnt covered.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there registry sets for the type B Washingtons? >>

I tried and tried to get PCGS to make a registry set for the B and C varieties only and could not get them to do it. They did however create the variety sets in lieu of the B & C set.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file