Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Type "B" priceguide post. Edit: Price synopsis in first post.

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Carlsbad has just sold another 1960 PCGS attributed MS 64 type B on ebay.
    Price was $15.49 + $1.58 shipping. >>

Well, that was a loser if it was PCGS attributed!

Economy grading = $18
    Attribution Fee = $24
    Total = $42 per coin in grading fees not to mention the original purchase price which is why I simply do not submit them anymore unless its only for attribution for my registry.

BTW, its not really "flooding" if you have them to sell.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in the "grading game". Just like poker, even the best are not going to win every hand. I commend Carlsbadeagletrader for running "clean auctions" and letting the coins go for a loss. There is an intangible benefit to a business for customers to see an operation running "true" no reserve auction without games IMHO. If a seller does a million dollars in business in year on ebay (hypothetically), who cares if $10,000 of it is at a loss? Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Carlsbad has just sold another 1960 PCGS attributed MS 64 type B on ebay.
    Price was $15.49 + $1.58 shipping. >>

I'm really just trying to sell one/week and I'm looking for the best night during football season. Yes, the prices have been disappointing. The demand seems to be thin. If I were to switch to BIN, what do you guys think is a fair price?

And BTW, I will be running out of these so if you're interested, I suggest you bid sooner rather than later. I have only one of the 59s left.

--Jerry
  • Dec 20, 2009 activity

ebay 1960 PCGS MS 64 attributed $18 + $1.58
    TT 1960 PCGS MS 63 attributed $18
    TT 1960 PCGS MS 64 attributed $21
    TT 1957 PCGS MS 64 attributed $27
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 63 attributed $12
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 64 attributed $27
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 65 attributed $45
    TT 1964D C PCGS MS 63 attributed, some toning, was at $400 + at one point - did not sell
    was that this MS63 Coin Herb?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • <<was that this MS63 Coin Herb?>>

It must have been. Anybody remember the high bid on it?
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wondercoin said:

<< <i>Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in the "grading game". Just like poker, even the best are not going to win every hand. I commend Carlsbadeagletrader for running "clean auctions" and letting the coins go for a loss. There is an intangible benefit to a business for customers to see an operation running "true" no reserve auction without games IMHO. If a seller does a million dollars in business in year on ebay (hypothetically), who cares if $10,000 of it is at a loss? Wondercoin >>

Very well stated.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another note;

I had an 1956 type B reverse quarter recently attributed and graded PCGS MS-66 by PCGS. It was graded NGC MS-67 by NGC. I crossed it over to PCGS expecting a MS-65 by PCGS as the reverse had a noticeable bag mark on the reverse on the eagle's neck. My eye kept thinking about that aspect of the quarter.

I took it to CAC to have them review it. Once again to my surprise, it received a green sticker as John Albanese loved the coin. It is the first and only 1956 quarter type B reverse (FS-901) in MS-66 that was stickered by CAC.

I asked him what made him like the 1956 quarter so much? He said the obverse was a full MS-67, the luster was blinding, while the reverse was downgraded to a MS-65 because of the big bag mark. Overall, the coin was a strong MS-66.

I asked "the obverse, what obverse?" I had totally forgotten about the obverse of this coin! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    and, the new price level on the MS66 1956-P should pease you as well!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if the coin is BU or less it's not worth grading as of now. I go around picking them in all grades just need to know if they are worth geting in the lower grades or not thanks, Type2.

Hoard the keys.
    For many of the dates, nothing under MS65 is worth grading unfortunately (for now at least)!

Wondercoin
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For many of the dates, nothing under MS65 is worth grading unfortunately (for now at least)!
    >>

It's notable that with the percentages of the coins produced that were type "b" and the
    huge number of coins saved that lower grade coins might never have sufficient demand
    to warrant grading.

The clads are so scarce that even heavily circulated coins aren't showing up yet so the
    demand mnight never develop.
    Tempus fugit.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herb,

I had the type "C" on my watch, but did not see the final auction bids. I was wondering id it would sell- the strike looked a little weak to me.

Mitch,
    Thank you. It is nice to finally see prices on my var quarters now.

Ken
  • Results for Sunday night 27 Dec 2009

Ebay 1960 PCGS MS 64 attributed B $25.05 + $1.58 up $7.05 in 1 week
    TT 1957 PCGS MS 64 attributed B $24 down $3 for the week
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 63 attributed B $9 down $3 for the week
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 64 attributed B $15 down $12 for the week
    TT 1958 PCGS MS 65 attributed B $60 up $15 for the week
    TT 1960 PCGS MS 63 attributed B $21 up $3 for the week
    TT 1961 PCGS MS 64 attributed B $50

edited to add 1 week price movement

<< <i>Herb,

I had the type "C" on my watch, but did not see the final auction bids. I was wondering id it would sell- the strike looked a little weak to me.

Mitch,
    Thank you. It is nice to finally see prices on my var quarters now.

Ken >>

Take another crack at it on next Sunday, Jan 3rd!

The name is LEE!
  • We need some results for 1964.image
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good information here, thanks!
  • ttt
  • Hope this helps you folks!!

Leaf will touch the "A"

Right wing tip (facing coin) will be pointed.

Leaf will be above arrow points

"M" will bracket the "IB"

Larger space between "E" and "S" of States

• What we need is a comparative price break down of each year in grades 64, 65, 66 (if any), not so much the population which seems to be rising now, but at least a definitive range on prices.

also just to add there will be a slight rotation of the reverse
  • Not much to add this week.
    On eBay 1960 PCGS 64 attributed B $20.70 + $1.58
  • Where's Kenny when ya need him?

I see the pics of the tell tale signs are missing, and my question has yet to be answered..

C'mon Kenny- you started this thread- keep up with the information.
  • <<also just to add there will be a slight rotation of the reverse >>

Could you explain a little more on this one?

• what I have seen on every type B reverse so far, is a counter clockwise rotation fo the eagle by as much as 12 degrees. It may not look significant at first but as you align the obverse as it should be and do a flip- the entire reverse will be rotated left and you will see the separation of the E S clearly and the remaining PUP's come in clear.

If you review a proof from this time period you will see a slight rotation as I have stated above.

I will do my best to post some pics in the next week- but i am a bit slammed with work and the frikkin gubermint paperwork that I have for each project going on- time with the camera is like a 4th priority.

Where is Kenny?

• <<what I have seen on every type B reverse so far, is a counter clockwise rotation fo the eagle by as much as 12 degrees. It may not look significant at first but as you align the obverse as it should be and do a flip- the entire reverse will be rotated left and you will see the separation of the E S clearly and the remaining PUP's come in clear.>>

That is amazing. I can't believe I never noticed it before. However, my problem now is that it seems to be that way on all quarters.

PM will be sent on your other question.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    MOC...is it in anyone's plastic? And, if so, is it attributed? Also, see my other thread about NGC now attributing these.
    I'll come up with something.
    There was a Heritage coin at $75 earlier today with the auction closing tonight. I decided to leave it alone to simply watch how the auction would unfold. It unfolded obviously with MOC "stealing it". Good for MOC!!

Wondercoin

Mitch, was it in our hosts plastic, and was it attributed?
    Yep. PCGS-MS65 attributed as I recall. If you go over to Heritage's archives you can probably see for yourself though (to be "sure").

Wondercoin

P.S. MOC - What was you max bid on the coin before buyers fee?

(to be "sure").

Quite the sense of humor you have there, Mitch! LOL (j/k...it WAS a good one! lol)
  • dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭
    I missed something here - Do I understand that NGC is now catching up with PCGS and attributing B reverse quarters? By the way MOC, that was a nice pickup - at a great price too.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about AU coins? I cherried an AU 1956 the other day, but have been looking around for some history on price before I plunk down almost $50 for grading/attribution @ PCGS...

Edited to add: I know the other dates really aren't worth certifying in circulated grades...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Last Sunday there was an NGC MS 64 pair of 1959 P and D on TT.
    The P was a type B, slightly toned. Late in the auction, they were going for $6, which is less than melt. So I raised it one notch to $9. I won it, but the fees brought it up to $22.50 total. If I had been thinking, I would have left it alone.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1964 Type C PCGS MS63 did not sell on Teletrade again tonight. Last bid was $360.

There also was a 1961 Type b PCGS MS65 it did not sell either but the last bid was $190.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
    There was this '62 Type B PCGS MS65, that went for $210 on the 'bay last night, ending an hour before the '61 that didn't sell on, TT. Funny, how the '61 Type B in MS65 DOESN'T sell at $190, yet the '62 Type B in MS65 DOES sell at $210. I like the '62 as a much better deal, overall, where there are only 11 in grade, 2 higher, as opposed to the '61, where there are 15 in grade, with 2 higher (granted, there are only 2 MS66's higher than the '61, with 1 MS66 and 1 MS67 higher than the '62 in MS65). Remember, a '62 Type B in MS64 sold for $175 on the 'bay in the last month or two, so $210 in MS65 is a rather decent pick-off (especially since the '62 has a smaller pop than the '61....the '61 has 56 total graded, the '62 has 48 total graded, second lowest only to the '56...not including the '64-D Type C) That '62, to me, was a better deal even if the '61 HAD sold for approximately the same price level ($200).....though I AM surprised to see that '61 NOT sell at that $200 threshhold. Strong prices? Most definitely (and will get stronger), but a bit stagnant is also more like it. These will begin to pick up speed, with NGC now attributing them. It will be 'business as usual', with PCGS pieces fetching better money, as our hosts are grading these stricter than those ATS (crossover attempts have yeilded approximately 1 point lower going from ATS to PCGS plastic, in my experience). I like what I'm seeing, in regard to prices realized, and now that the guys ATS are recognizing these, it shows these are really gaining in popularity, and ARE being taken seriously. For $210, that '62 in MS65 was just about a rip, in my opinion.
    The 1964 Type C PCGS MS63 did not sell on Teletrade again tonight. Last bid was $360.

I forgot to mention this coin.....

Give that MS63 '64-D Type C some time, and it WILL bring in $400 or more, but the seller has run out of freebies, as thats the 3rd time around for that coin. Things are just beginning to heat up for these Type B's, as evidenced by prices rising now in the higher grades (MS65/MS66). This will slowly be followed by rising prices in lower grades. BUT, it's beginning to look like the break-out that's been expected. It also seems that the interest is being generated by more than just board members, as was discussed in another thread in the not too distant past.
    Yer pretty sure uh yerself for being "NotSure" ! image

The name is LEE!
    Lee.....try as I could, I couldn't think of ANY comeback to your statement...

I'd look at the way you wrote it, then look at Ernest, and then just throw my arms up and laugh! lol I'm not at a loss for words often, but you got me there today! lol
    I bought (35) 1961 and 1962 Ty B Choice/Gem Unc fresh raw coins from a customer last week in a special handpicked lot. After factoring in cost of coins and grading fees, MS63's are not even worth producing and MS64 coins are probably just marginally profitable (most of the coins would grade MS64) - in fact, seeing what Carlsbadeagletrader netted on his 4th weekly sale on another date, I wonder what 1961 or 1962 would fetch the 5th or 6th time through on ebay in MS64? I think we have quite a ways to go before this market in grades lower than MS66 can truly "take off" as it will require healthy fresh demand to handle the quantity of coins in sub-MS66 grades (for most dates) just waiting to be graded. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin
    Mitch....1961's in MS65 WERE big money coins until recently.. image

Seriously, though, the '56, '61 and '62's ARE money coins in MS65, even though there are 2 graded higher (3 in the case of the '56), due to the populations in the grades MS65 and higher.
  • What would a non attributed 1964 type B in a PCGS 66 holder be worth?

It is an old blue holder from the early part of 94.

I have used the diagnostic images that Mr. Steelheader and the comments from Mr. Morganhunter had posted to verify what I have. It is a match!

Is it worth sending in for the attribution?

Where is Mr. Steelheader these days?

<< <i>What would a non attributed 1964 type B in a PCGS 66 holder be worth?

It is an old blue holder from the early part of 94.

I have used the diagnostic images that Mr. Steelheader and the comments from Mr. Morganhunter had posted to verify what I have. It is a match!

Is it worth sending in for the attribution?

Where is Mr. Steelheader these days? >>

Well worth the attribution fee's in my opinion. I expect that the coin would net a minimum of $300 since MS66 is a difficult grade to achieve with PCGS! The price guide has it listed at $450.

Now if you're a bit hesitant, and it is a Type B, I'll pay you some good money and submit it myself! image

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I bought (35) 1961 and 1962 Ty B Choice/Gem Unc fresh raw coins from a customer last week in a special handpicked lot. After factoring in cost of coins and grading fees, MS63's are not even worth producing and MS64 coins are probably just marginally profitable (most of the coins would grade MS64) - in fact, seeing what Carlsbadeagletrader netted on his 4th weekly sale on another date, I wonder what 1961 or 1962 would fetch the 5th or 6th time through on ebay in MS64? I think we have quite a ways to go before this market in grades lower than MS66 can truly "take off" as it will require healthy fresh demand to handle the quantity of coins in sub-MS66 grades (for most dates) just waiting to be graded. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin >>

I think its gonna take some heavy press to get these things fired up Mitch as it is readily apparent that MS66 is the money grade. Lots of folks on these boards have been hunting AND submitting these coins and the results show where the pricey pieces are. MS66 and up for the common dates and MS65 and up for the uncommon dates. Specifically, 1956, 1962, 1961, and 1964.

Actually, A 1964 in MS65 might just barely squeek by the acquisition and grading fee's.

I have several 1961's that are raw but I don't think any of them would go beyond MS64 so the'll just sit for the time being.

The name is LEE!
    19Lyds is right. I wouldn't hesitate. There is only 1 graded MS66 thats attributed, yours would make 2. I wouldn't hesitate.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices on these pieces are very volatile right now and I think that they will be for a while. Sales prices are all over the board for anything ms65 and below. I just wonder if the 66 and 67 grades have enough steam to keep it going. The sucess of the higher grades will in time help the prices of the lower grade coins, and therefore make it a reasonable choice for sending in the 63's and 64's. Just keep in mind that CC morgans were not popular with collectors just a coulpe years after they were issued, it took time.

I am happy that PCGS got a set going with each of these special coins having their very own slot. I petitioned Mr. Willis, and many on these boards followed with signatures on the petition that I eventually sent to him. I thank everyone that did and Mr. Willis and PCGS. Now if I could get them to create a short set for us... just the type B's and the type C.image

Edited to Add: 100, woooohoooooo.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching the type B's as well and gave the '62 a bump when it was in the low $20's to almost $50 and knew then it wan not going as cheap as the one MOC picked up off Heritage. even the MS64's hit the 50-60 $ range.

<< <i>I was watching the type B's as well and gave the '62 a bump when it was in the low $20's to almost $50 and knew then it wan not going as cheap as the one MOC picked up off Heritage. even the MS64's hit the 50-60 $ range. >>

Credit this to the date. 1962 Type B's are really tough to find right now and literally ANY 1962 Type B will attract my attention as a bidder. image

The name is LEE!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are easy to spot, but until people really get to know them, they'll stay lost in the crowd.

HE>I

• Credit this to the date. 1962 Type B's are really tough to find right now and literally ANY 1962 Type B will attract my attention as a bidder

pokerface...........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file