Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Type "B" priceguide post. Edit: Price synopsis in first post.

Comments

• dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭
    They are not as pickable now as a couple of years ago. Once was, I could go to a show and come back with 6 or 8 type B's that i cherried. Now when I go to a show, I am lucky to find 1.

And to respond to Merlindamadone - only the 1959 mint sets all contain a type b quarter. I know that a few can be found in 61 mint sets. I think there is one other that I have heard some can be found in sometimes. But for the most part, the other mint sets do not contain type B quarters.

• It has been reported here by others that type B are common in 1957 mint sets. 1957 sets are double sets, so you get two chances. In my experience I would say that about half of the 1960 sets had a type B in them. I was not previously aware that 1961 sets had them. THat would really be a good find. Did anybody ever find a 1959 set without one?

• << <i>They are not as pickable now as a couple of years ago. Once was, I could go to a show and come back with 6 or 8 type B's that i cherried. Now when I go to a show, I am lucky to find 1.

And to respond to Merlindamadone - only the 1959 mint sets all contain a type b quarter. I know that a few can be found in 61 mint sets. I think there is one other that I have heard some can be found in sometimes. But for the most part, the other mint sets do not contain type B quarters. >>

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but I have 36 mint sets from 1956-1964(4 each so far) that have the type B reverse, and of the 200 mint sets from 56-64 I am searching for the type C- I might find one or 3?- but they are out there from reading what you all have posted.

Thank the good lord ( and my wife for getting me a 30" monitor0 to view the PUPs on this..makes life so much easier to 'pick' my own sets..

No they are not graded- they still sit in the original packaging as the day they were purchased, and nice and dry..
  • Type C was the new reverse created for clads. I don't know how much lead time there was involved in preparing the die, but I would expect that it was not made until 1965. The Dever mint was still striking 1964 D silver quarters then. I would expect that all the silver mint sets had all been made already.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    As an update, both my 1962 MS64 Type B's sold on ebay tonight for $40.99 each + $2.25 shipping.

(REF)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • <<As an update, both my 1962 MS64 Type B's sold on ebay tonight for $40.99 each + $2.25 shipping.>>

In other action tonight on ebay a NGC 1958 MS66 (unattributed) sold for $49.99 + $3.99

Meanwhile on Teletrade
    a 1958 NGC MS64 (attributed) sold for $21
    a 1961 PCGS 65 did not sell
    The cats out of the bag on that MS66 1962 Type B on Teletrade!

I should know when to keep my mouse shut!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Very little to report this week.
    I have no news from TeleTrade.
    Today on eBay a 1957 PCGS MS64 sold for $29 + $1.50.
    There are 68 type B's on eBay tonight. Most are raw, BIN overpriced and/or low grades.
    There is a 1956 PCGS MS 65 on eBay starting at $250, BIN $350.
    There is another raw 1956 "unc" now at $8 after two bids. I do not know, but I am wondering if it is a mishandled proof.
  • 3rd Edit - Delete
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Well, what we had tonite was:

Teletrade:
    1957 PCGS MS65 unattributed....$60 (a bit high for an unattributed MS65, with 41 in grade, 29 in MS66, 9 in MS67???)
    1959 PCGS MS64 attributed....$27
    1960 PCGS MS64 attributed....$24
    1961 PCGS MS64 attributed....unsold (last I saw, there was a $140 bid)
    1962 PCGS MS64 attributed....unsold (lost sight of it and didn't follow the progress on this one)
    1963 PCGS MS64 attributed....$21
    1964 PCGS MS64 attributed....$45 (I'm thinking that's a semi-healthy bid for an MS64 coin, with 55 in grade, 19 in MS65, 1 in MS66)
    1964-D Type C PCGS MS63 attributed....$170 (MUCH less than the Type C in MS63 that's been making the rounds, going unsold...and it appears this one is nicer)
    1964-D Type C PCGS MS63 attributed....unsold (this is the coin thats been on TT for months, getting as high as $350 at times, so $170 looks like a good buy....this coin
    is not as nice-IMHO-as the '64-D Type C MS63 that DID sell for $170 tonight).

ebay: 1956 PCGS MS65 attributed, starting bid #250, BIN $350, went UNSOLD...ended not long ago (when MS64's bring $175, can't figure this one out, but it HAS been relisted)

That's all I come up with for tonight.
    I'll come up with something.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the 64-D type C tonight

was rather low and I was high bidder at around $80 with a half hour to go, and was going to come back to snipe, but forgot - although I never would have got it at what I was willing to goimage
    sinin1...at $170, for MS63, that's a GREAT price for the new owner, considering an ANACS AU55 went for the same $$ on TT a few weeks back, and another ANACS (AU50) went for approx $150 on ebay (not to mention the $350 bids the unsold one has gotten in the past). The Type C that DID sell looks MUCH nicer than the one that's made the rounds and still remains unsold (TT images are famous for not being great, but you can see that one is clearly nicer than the other).
  • <<That's all I come up with for tonight.

-------------------------
    But then again....I'm 'notsure'.>>

Right!
    How about on Teletrade tonight
    1956 B PCGS 64 $50
    1958 B PCGS 64 $18

The 22 March Coin World has 5 type B's for sale by L&C Coins priced $35 (1959 MS64) to $$250 (1957 MS66)
    Yup, I did miss those, Herb...but come on, there were so many!!! lol Definitely an oversight on my part, but I am not liable for the L&C ad, as I haven't gotten my March 22 issue of CW (isn't today Monday the 29th???).
    Herb, are those Type B's at L&C raw, or slabbed??
  • <<Herb, are those Type B's at L&C raw, or slabbed??>>

I can't tell. They quote MS numbers and that's all. My March 22 CW arrived one day after my March 29th issue did.

Normally, L&C will say flat out if a coin is graded. If there isn't PCGS in the item line, they are raw. Though, I have never seen them selling unattributed Type B's in NGC slabs.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One can't judge these coins accurately from Teletrade scans - indeed the other 64-D quarter in the PCGS-MS63 started its "slab life" as an NGC-MS64. The 64-D coin that sold tonight, IMHO, sold due to price only - $170 plus 15%. Bidding at the end got it to that level - it is possible the coin could have sold for quite a bit less if 2 bidders did not pusue it in the final moments. The demand just isn't there for these coins right now. Most of the Wash. quarter varieties are in the same boat right now. Which makes it great for collectors these days looking to add coins to their collections. This week, I bid about $550 for a pop top variety I needed in my quarter set (and was ready to snipe at a much higher level as the coin "guided" for even more), but won the coin for less than $250. You gotta love it!! Congrats to the 64-D buyer tonight who picked up a great coin for less than $200!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bid on that one that came up last week I bid $265. I wish I would have saw this one. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Sunday night action on Teletrade
    1961 Type B PCGS 65 went for $140
    As usual the 1964 D C did not sell
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the price this time of the 'C'.

Hoard the keys.
  • Sunday night action on Teletrade
    1957 Type B PCGS 55 went for $18.
    1960 Type B PCGS 64 went for $27
    1961 Type B PCGS 65 did not sell and I din't tune in early enough to get earlier bids on it.
    1964 D Type C PCGS MS63 coming up on Sunday the 25th.

<< <i>Sunday night action on Teletrade
    1957 Type B PCGS 55 went for $18.
    1960 Type B PCGS 64 went for $27
    1961 Type B PCGS 65 did not sell and I din't tune in early enough to get earlier bids on it.
    1964 D Type C PCGS MS63 coming up on Sunday the 25th. >>

That '61 Type B was bid up to $140 shortly before the bell, last I saw. Last one that DID sell went for $140.

That '64-D Type C....odds of it languishing unsold at a $350 bid are even money at best. The one that DID sell for $170 is a nicer coin. Though, the last 2 sales of '64-D Type C's are $170 for an MS63, $270 for an MS64.....the seller of the perpetually unsold one may need to re-think his buy-back. But, as Mitch says, you can't judge the prices from TT as accurate. You've got an MS63 '64-D Type C selling for $170, unsold for $350 in the same night.....an MS65 '62 Type B selling for '39 and one selling for $120 in the same nigt (and $120 for a '62 in MS65 isn't a bad price either).
  • Sunday April 25, 2010 Teletrade
    1964 D Type C PCGS was listed at $240 at 9:57 PM but in the end did not sell.
    There was a 1970 D PCGS 67 unattributed type M (not at all surprising that a 1970 D in the trade would be a type M) at $80 that also did not sell.
  • Teletrade Auction 2846 Sunday 2 May Results
    1956 B PCGS 65 $260
    1957 B PCGS 58 $6
    1960 B PCGS 63 $15
    1962 B PCGS 64 $30
    1970 D Doubled Die FS-801 (1 die being type M) ANACS 65 $75

On ebay a set of 9 1956 thru 1964 circulated B's sold for $40.39
    Also a pair of proof 1968 S quarters types B and M went for $8.50

edit to correct 1956 price
    Herb....in regard to TT:

The '56 Type B in MS65.....I had a $210 bid at closing, but it sold at $260. How that happened, either somethings up or two people had their atomic watches set to Greenwich mean time and they both bid at the last 1/4 second, as my $210 showed as winning when the 'Auto Tracker' turned yellow.

There was also a '61 Type B PCGS MS65 that was bid up to $140, but it did NOT sell. For the last 45 mins, the '61 was actually bid higher than the '56.
  • <<Herb....in regard to TT:

The '56 Type B in MS65.....I had a $210 bid at closing, but it sold at $260. How that happened, either somethings up or two people had their atomic watches set to Greenwich mean time and they both bid at the last 1/4 second, as my $210 showed as winning when the 'Auto Tracker' turned yellow.

There was also a '61 Type B PCGS MS65 that was bid up to $140, but it did NOT sell. For the last 45 mins, the '61 was actually bid higher than the '56. >>

This is very interesting. I just checked my notes. No where is there a $210. The last time I checked the auction, live. was 9:50 and the price was $120. My final notes say $260. So how could I originally possibly post $210 as the final price. You must haqve concentrated on your bid so hard that you took over my mind by mental telepathy. For students of the paranormal, we are probably located with 20 miles of each other.
    May 2, 2010

Heritage

1956 Type B in PCGS MS64 closed at $36 (includes BP)

1958 Type B in PCGS MS66 closed at $149.50 (includes BP)

1960 Type B in PCGS MS64 closed at $36 (includes BP)

1962 Type B in PCGS MS65 closed at $69 (includes BP)

1964 Type B in PCGS MS65 closed at $42 (includes BP) (Wow! Cheap!)

1964-D Type C in PCGS MS64 closed at $149 (includes BP) (Holy SHAMOLEY!) image

Either Heritage didn;'t advertise this one well or somebody was asleep!

I admit to have been snoozing on the Type C since I knew it was there and had even placed a bid. image

The name is LEE!
    I was surprised I won that Ty C for so little. I guess I can average down now my price of the last one I bought!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>I was surprised I won that Ty C for so little. I guess I can average down now my price of the last one I bought!!

Wondercoin >>

You should be thrown in Jail Mitch since that Type C was an absolute STEAL! image

The name is LEE!
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - those are some really good prices, but I'm sure for the person that made them they lost $ in grading fees plus some cost of their coins. I have 1964 in my Heritage watch list but the type C did not show maybe I have MS65 set at a min. Looks like I'll need to go re-set that.

Edited to add: Nice score Mitch image
    Thanks Lee / Ken.

As most of you know out there who are building sets, sometimes you have to pay (way) up for certain coins and sometimes you get lucky and pluck one off "on the cheap". It all evens out in the end.

That 58-P MS66 Ty B was a great buy as well. Anyone here buy that one?

Wondercoin
    Those Heritage prices are off the hook! Mitch, you SHOULD be in jail for stealing that Type C. Had I not been asleep at the wheel, the winners would have had to pony up more money, if not outright losing them. After a whole day of yardwork, in what was basically summer heat, I was out cold, and missed this altogether...I keyed on TT, and spaced out on Heritage. I'm not sure what this does for pricing......did these coins see their 15 minutes already?

Mitch, don't cost average those MS64's down too much...it'll make me look like I overpaid for the MS63 I got from TT for $170! I am in awe at the '58, '62 and '64 prices also. If this pricing trend continues, these won't look so special. BUT, we know they ARE...it just seems like Heritage is NOT the place to sell these. There was a '56 Type B in MS66 that sold for about $250 a little over a year ago. Why does Heritage bring such small prices on these? Besides Mitch, there are a few happy campers with those prices.

And, Mitch, you DO suck, sir....good job!
    Thanks NotSure!

Now, one night over some drinks I can tell you about the $37,000 price tag that was assigned to a coin I had to own for my Wash quarter variety set and we can calculate how many more Ty C coins I need to buy at $149/coin to break even on that other coin. image

Wondercoin

<< <i>Thanks NotSure!

....... and we can calculate how many more Ty C coins I need to buy at $149/coin to break even on that other coin. image

Wondercoin >>

Mitch.....that WILL be the last Type C that will go for that kind of money, regardless of WHO bids on it! Don't count on cost averaging that coin lower very often...unless I'm on life support!! lol

Congrats again, Mitch! (I hate you.....lol....just kidding!)

<< <i>Thanks Lee / Ken.

As most of you know out there who are building sets, sometimes you have to pay (way) up for certain coins and sometimes you get lucky and pluck one off "on the cheap". It all evens out in the end.

That 58-P MS66 Ty B was a great buy as well. Anyone here buy that one?

Wondercoin >>

That would be me. The hammer price was close to my max.

The name is LEE!
    Nice buy Lee. I would have paid a good bit more if I had caught that one!!

Wondercoin

<< <i>Nice buy Lee. I would have paid a good bit more if I had caught that one!!

Wondercoin >>

Well I guess we both kinda crossed paths on the way to the prize ? image

The name is LEE!
    Seems like someone liked this one a bit more than I did. I got topped out at the final bell. I forgot to track the poor '64-D Type C that was up yet again.....anyone know if it sold...yet???

<< <i>Seems like someone liked this one a bit more than I did. I got topped out at the final bell. I forgot to track the poor '64-D Type C that was up yet again.....anyone know if it sold...yet??? >>

Since I don't bother with the NGC coins I didn't even track that one.

As for the 64-D, last time I checked (at about 50 minutes before close) it was at $180.

Price is still pending though so my guess is it didn't sell.

The name is LEE!
    Lee, do you think people are tiring of this particular '64-D NOT meeting the reserve, especially when TT'ers see one going for $170 ( image ), or better yet, $140 (Mitch, why you #!@%^$#@...lol)??? At first, that Type C was hovering at $350-$400, now.........

As far as that '62, I'm not sure if the toning will fly with our hosts (had I won it, it was going ATS for attribution). I forgot, Lee, you don't need a '62 in MS65 or better now, do you!!! lol
  • Some of this has just been discussed, but for the record, on Teletrade tonight:

Lot #1986 1962 unattributed B, NGC 66 sold for $240.
    (On May 2, a non B 1962 NGC 66 sold for $38)

#1993 1964 D C PCGS 63 at 15-20 minutes before close was at $220, apparently did not sell.

#1996 1968 S non B, non M was $8, 15 min before close but closed at $6.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did Ken get banned?
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering who was bidding on the '62 besides me. I put a max bid of 110.00 in earlier when it was at 45.00 and it didn't last very long image
    Cointime....I had the high bid on that '62 right up till the auction closed......someone has their clock timed perfectly for very last second bidding!!
  • Here is table of number of ebay offerings earlier this night versus NN price list (4 May issue) (MS 65) versus PCGS price list (PSGS MS65 plain and +).

1956 B 1 $100 $325/440
    1957 B 12 $110 -
    1958 B 12 $90 -
    1959 B 10 $70 -
    1960 B 7 $90 -
    1961 B 5 $70 $250/375
    1962 B 5 $175 -
    1963 B 10 $50 -
    1964 B 8 $70 -
    1964 D C 0 $450 $850/1030
    total 70 items

• << <i>So did Ken get banned? >>

Yes, and I think it's time for his "TIME OUT" to be over. I sure see a lot of "bammable" pictures in another thread, but of course, that doesn't matter. What's a Type B thread without the Master???
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

<< <i>

<< <i>So did Ken get banned? >>

Yes, and I think it's time for his "TIME OUT" to be over. I sure see a lot of "bammable" pictures in another thread, but of course, that doesn't matter. What's a Type B thread without the Master??? >>

I'd like to see ole Mr. Grumpy back as well.

The name is LEE!
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he killed any chance of that.
    Note his sig line is gone.
    Larry

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dates for the Type B are '56-'64 with a Type C reverse on the '64-D.

Then there are the clad Type B's, which run from '69-D to '72-D. >>

Speaking of those clads, has anyone assembled a similar list for them?

I'd also love even a speculative estimate on original and/or surviving populations of these Type Bs.

Very useful thread! Thanks, everyone.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file