Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Type "B" priceguide post. Edit: Price synopsis in first post.

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Correct me If I am wrong, but it appears that Ken is doing
    some analytical assembly of data ,that requires a degree of
    intellectual perspicacity.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MOC....you didn't do too badly...as I recall, you picked this up for about $80 on Heritage...well done!

Type2, keep pickin' away, as I'm doing!! >>

I been doing this for some time now. I must have 50+ MS and 4 or 5 rolls of AU to VF. But I'am trying to keep my eye's open for the best one in MS. I did stumble on some 1964-D Type 'C's. I know of one more but I just need to be patient for that one. image

Hoard the keys.
  • In the wee hours of this morning I checked the ebay offereings of type B. The search showed 83, but one was a 1917. I think the number of offerings reflect the rarity of each isssue very well. They are:
    1956 1
    1957 15
    1958 14
    1959 11
    1960 8
    1961 7
    1962 6
    1963 12
    1964 8
    1969 D 0
    1970 D 0
    1971 D 0
    1972 D 0

Lest I start a gold rush to ebay, I should mention a lot of these will turn out to be overpriced circulated specimens.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Please forgive my ignorance, and not meaning to take this very interesting thread off course, but are the Type-Bs found in Mint Sets?
    I have a bunch of '59-'64 sets stuffed back in the ol'safe somewhere & was wondering if I should dig them out & check them.

Thanks,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • John I found about a half dozen in mint sets so start searching and good luck.

Eric
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• <<Please forgive my ignorance, and not meaning to take this very interesting thread off course, but are the Type-Bs found in Mint Sets?
    I have a bunch of '59-'64 sets stuffed back in the ol'safe somewhere & was wondering if I should dig them out & check them.>>

All 59's that I have seen include a Philly type B quarter AND a Philly half variety 2 (this also matches the proof version of that year).
    It seems to me that about one half of the 1960's have a type B quarter. Other folk on here have reported about half of the Philly quarters in the 1957 sets (double sets by the way) are type B. I have never searched that date myself nor any other dates than 1959 - 1960. If anybody else has additional information, please sing out now..
  • A raw 1956 B, BU, with slight problems sold on ebay today for $91.08 + $3.95.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180467842779&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123
  • dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭
    A 1964 PCGS MS 64 B reverse sold on ebay today for $55.67 + $3 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320490130080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • There was a 1957 PCGS MS 67 type B on TeleTrade tonight that had a price of $400 at 9 PM, but it did not sell.
  • docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    There is a hoard of type B's on next Sundays Teletrade auction. One is a 1962 PCGS MS66.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    << There was a 1957 PCGS MS 67 type B on TeleTrade tonight that had a price of $400 at 9 PM, but it did not sell. >>

BTW, that is a very reasonable price for a scarce PCGS 67 Washington Type B.

I sold a very nice toned 57 PCGS 67 for right about that figure.
  • Tonight's TT results
    1958 B PCGS 63 $12
    1958 B PCGS 64 $24
    1960 B PCGS 63 NS (opened at $21)
    1960 B PCGS 64 $36
    1961 B PCGS 65 NS (opened at $90)
    1961 B PCGS 65 NS (opened at $90)
    1961 B PCGS 65 NS (opened at $160)
    1962 B PCGS 64 $36
    1962 B PCGS 65 $120
    1962 B PCGS 65 $39
    1962 B PCGS 66 NS (opened at $500)
    1963 B PCGS 64 $18
    1963 B PCGS 65 $30
    1963 B PCGS 65 $42
    1964 B PCGS 64 $50
    1964 B PCGS 65 $160
    1964 D C PCGS 63 NS (opened at $300)

1968 S B (in the form of 2 proof sets) sold on ebay for $28.77 + $3.99
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tonight's TT results
    .1962 B PCGS 65 $120
    1962 B PCGS 65 $39 ...... < = = =
    1964 B PCGS 65 $160
    1964 D C PCGS 63 NS (opened at $300)

1968 S B (in the form of 2 proof sets) sold on ebay for $28.77 + $3.99 >>

Someone (not me since I was late back from dinner! image ) got a helluva deal on that MS65 1962 Type B not to mention the MS65 1964!!!!

As for that Type C?

I've decided that ............................................... ITS NEVER GONNA SELL! BUAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Whoever keeps putting it up, oughta rethink their strategies or just tak it off the market since the buyers have made their sentiments loud and clear. Namely, they don't think its a $400+ coin.

(Not Right now at least image )

Question for ya Herb, Whats up with marketing the 1968-S Proof Quarter as a Type B? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Someone (not me since I was late back from dinner! ) got a helluva deal on that MS65 1962 Type B

I agree, wholeheartedly Lee,I did get a helluva deal!!! image Can't understand how one goes for $160, and one goes for $39, but I won't question it!

I'll come up with something.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that 1962-P in MS65 at a stupid low price, but, decided to "share the wealth" and not "run up" the coin when I owned one of the MS66 pieces already. Glad to see "notsure" was the winner. Unfortunately, I did get run up a bit on the 1964 MS65 I won. I was hoping to win the coin a little lower. But, still a very fair price on that one as well. Obviously, these are very "thinly traded" coins and demand appears weak at this time.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Thanks Mitch......do I have to guess as to how to show my appreciation??? image

edited to say it's got to do with a certain coin from 1964....get your minds out of the gutter!!
    NS - Once that Ty C MS63 1964 finally sells for about $30, we will have a better idea as to the values of the others. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Actually, the prices realized on ebay are much stronger....more bidding. The last 2 '62 Type B's in 65 were approximately $200 (yeah, I know thats about the same price for the other '62 MS65 that sold for $160), but the bidding on the 'bay is healthy. I don't think these are as 'thin' as some believe, but then again, there is NO reason someone else couldn't/shouldn't have stepped up and upped my measly bid. We'll see when that one hits the 'bay once it's in hand. For $52 TOTAL, there's NO way I can go wrong with a pop 13 coin, with 3 better.
    NS - Once that Ty C MS63 1964 finally sells for about $30, we will have a better idea as to the values of the others.

Wondercoin

That is NOT funny!!! lol
    NS - Let's put it this way... I don't think the Price Guide should go to $52 tomorrow on the MS65 1962-P. But, demand should be a touch stronger than Lee, you and I.

Wondercoin
    Hopefully, most of the Type B collectors were also out to dinner, like Lee was!!! That, or.... interest in the Olympic closing ceremony...or Team USA fans drowning their sorrows....or Team Canada fans drowning in their joy....or......

We CAN'T be the only 3, can we??? lol
  • <<Question for ya Herb, Whats up with marketing the 1968-S Proof Quarter as a Type B?>>

In my experience of many years ago, type B 1968 S were in the minority of 1968 S, but a strong minority. I have been using 25% as the approximate number. The dealer selling the 1968 S B on ebay said he went thru hundreds of sets to get 4 B's. Cladking has just said they are not easy to cherrypick. I will welcome input on your experiences at this point.
    I was disappointed in those prices last night. Those were down substantially from prices on Heritage about a year ago when they had several on at once. The Heritage auction drew strong prices. I was surprised at how low those were. At least we finally got some data on 1964 - that was a decent price. Maybe it's a temporary blip and we will see prices return to where they were.

<< <i>Hopefully, most of the Type B collectors were also out to dinner, like Lee was!!! That, or.... interest in the Olympic closing ceremony...or Team USA fans drowning their sorrows....or Team Canada fans drowning in their joy....or......

We CAN'T be the only 3, can we??? lol >>

You one lucky fellow Ken!

I was looking at those B's yesterday afternoon thinking, "I should enter my bid", but decided to wait to see where they would go.

Had I been at my workstation, you'd have paid a bit more.

Guaranteed! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Lee, I have NO doubt that if you were at the ready, that coin would have possibly run up to what the second MS65 fetched. PLEASE, go out to dinner every Sun, Mon, and Wed night!!! image

I did say in an earlier post it went to $160, but I will correct myself, as it went to $120, which is STILL a good price, IMO, as the last couple on the 'bay went for about $200 each.
    I was surprised the 1962-P MS66 did not sell. It looks like someone would have had to pay around $625 delivered for it with the buyers premium. The Price Guide is at $900-$1,000 on the 1956, 1961, 1962 MS66 coins. I thought that retail price level was correct (and still do) on those coins. Surprisingly, that MS66 was the only available coin on the market besides the one in my registry set and the MS67 in another collection. Why would no one want it at $625?? Wondercoin

<< <i>I was surprised the 1962-P MS66 did not sell. It looks like someone would have had to pay around $625 delivered for it with the buyers premium. The Price Guide is at $900-$1,000 on the 1956, 1961, 1962 MS66 coins. I thought that retail price level was correct (and still do) on those coins. Surprisingly, that MS66 was the only available coin on the market besides the one in my registry set and the MS67 in another collection. Why would no one want it at $625?? Wondercoin >>

Had I been home, that MS66 might have sold depending upon what the sellers reserve was. I most certainly would have bid more than $625 but I expect the reserve had been set at $1,000 so even an $800 bid would not have brought it home.

The name is LEE!

<< <i><<Question for ya Herb, Whats up with marketing the 1968-S Proof Quarter as a Type B?>>

In my experience of many years ago, type B 1968 S were in the minority of 1968 S, but a strong minority. I have been using 25% as the approximate number. The dealer selling the 1968 S B on ebay said he went thru hundreds of sets to get 4 B's. Cladking has just said they are not easy to cherrypick. I will welcome input on your experiences at this point. >>

1 out of 16 Herb.

The name is LEE!
    The pops DID go up on the '62 Type B....from 50 to 55 total. The 'new' members of the '62 Type B ALL graded MS64.

Lee, just have to ask...did you owe the wife a night out??? lol With the determination you showed, outbidding ALL of us on the unattributed '56 in November, I would have thought you would have been all over the gem Type B's last night. But, there will be another night for you, as most didn't sell (as the stats Herb provided us show).

• << <i>Had I been home, that MS66 might have sold depending upon what the sellers reserve was. I most certainly would have bid more than $625 but I expect the reserve had been set at $1,000 so even an $800 bid would not have brought it home. >>

If the reserve was set at $1000, then it would have been at $1000 by 8PM. That is the Teletrade Way, in my experience.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    a 1958 pcgs ms65 unattributed type B sold on ebay for around $25! I was very surprised and upset that I missed the auction.
    "It is what it is."

<< <i>The pops DID go up on the '62 Type B....from 50 to 55 total. The 'new' members of the '62 Type B ALL graded MS64.

Lee, just have to ask...did you owe the wife a night out??? lol With the determination you showed, outbidding ALL of us on the unattributed '56 in November, I would have thought you would have been all over the gem Type B's last night. But, there will be another night for you, as most didn't sell (as the stats Herb provided us show). >>

No. No debt was paid and as I said, had I been home, at least one of those would have been on its way to me today.

Three of those 1962 MS64's graded were mine. Only one or the three I thought might have a chance at MS65 but it didn't make it. Thanks to dlmtorts for the great looking coin though! image

As for: "If the reserve was set at $1000, then it would have been at $1000 by 8PM. That is the Teletrade Way, in my experience."

I "kinda" disagree since top bids (which is what the sellers reserve is) only show up if there is a bid placed that is within that bidding range. In other words, if the reserve was set at $1,000 but the highest bid placed was only $600, then the next bid amount would have been $625 (or whatever the bid increment is at that level). Having never put my neck on Teletrade's chopping block though, I do not know for sure.

However I may know here in the near future but I just hate having to wait 4-5 weeks for a check though!

The name is LEE!
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    What are the Type B Dates again?

I swear I'm staring at a 1952 Type B in my old washington album.
    Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
    Dates for the Type B are '56-'64 with a Type C reverse on the '64-D.

Then there are the clad Type B's, which run from '69-D to '72-D.
  • docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I made the submission to Teletrade and was pleasantly surprised that one of the Quarters made the MS66 grade. I actually have 8-10 more type B Washies nicer than those on Teletrade that I held back intending to submit myself. I put a buyback on the MS66 1962 at $500 and was surprised that it didn't sell. So for grading fees, $25 buyback and juice I landed a POP 2 Quarter! Now I am excited to submit my nicer coins. Hopefully a few MS66's in 1964, 1962, 1956, and 1963.

Barry
  • <<What are the Type B Dates again?

I swear I'm staring at a 1952 Type B in my old washington album.
    Jeff>>

NotSure has given the dates for the circulation strike. But proofs were made with the B reverse for 1937-1942, 1950-1964, some 1968S and 1969S-1972S.

So it is possible that you have a 1952 B that was a proof. Turns out 1952 proof quarters are rather interesting. That is the year of the Superbird. You might even have a 1952 class III doubled die. I bought my first 1952 proof as a circulated circulation strike. I could see it apparently matched the proofs. But the ES gap was too narrow, which was the first clue. There are more than one 1952 class III doubled die and even my die restored the ES gap in later die stages. It developed a U shaped die crack. Maybe I should call it "Underdog".
  • Not much on TT tonight, but at least the one item sold.
    TT 1957 B PCGS 67 $400
    also from ebay
    ebay 1956 PCGS B MS 64 $170.61 + $2.25

<< <i>Not much on TT tonight, but at least the one item sold.
    TT 1957 B PCGS 67 $400
    also from ebay
    ebay 1956 PCGS B MS 64 $170.61 + $2.25 >>

Lets not forget the MS64 1964 Type B at $43.75 + $2.25 and the MS65 1957 Type B at $27.00 + $2.25

The name is LEE!
    Anyone noticing that dealers are starting to attribute these, noting the variety on the 2X2, popping them in their binders, and placing outrageous prices on them? I was at a small show yesterday, here in Mass, and found 2 dealers (was a VERY small show.....more action at the stamp tables than coin tables) who are doing just that. Anyone else seeing this? Will this be a growing trait, and what could this mean for the variety? I would have perused more, but the overpowering scent of Hai Karate, coupled with bad Chinese take-out was wafting through the air, prompting me to exit sooner than I planned on.
    There are a few more nice looking type b's on sale on ebay - sale ends in 3 days. No - they are not mine!!! This is not spam. Just for keeping watch of the prices.
  • Today on ebay Fredweinberg sold an unatributed 1964 D C AU 55 for $152.50 + 0.
    Wish I had seen that. I picked up an ANACS 64 recently but in reality it looks 63 to me in hand.
    One of our forum members had some raw type B's for sale on ebay tonight.
    That ANACS on ebay is the second AU ANACS Type C in a few weeks...one from TT (AU50=$170), and now this one (AU55=$152.50). If these are 'coming out of the woodwork', and AU's are whats coming out, MS could be even scarcer than we first believed.

dlmtorts....our hosts have been EXTREMELY strict in crossing over ANACS Type B's (I've seen a MINIMUM 1 point drop.....even 2 pts in a few cases of the newer blue holders....). With that said, even MS63 is a good grade for a tough coin. I wonder how those AU's will fare...both were in old white holders. I know of one (NOT mine, unfortunately) in an ANACS 65 holder (don't know if it's a newer holder or not).

"dlmtorts....our hosts have been EXTREMELY strict in crossing over ANACS Type B's (I've seen a MINIMUM 1 point drop.....even 2 pts in a few cases of the newer blue holders....). With that said, even MS63 is a good grade for a tough coin. I wonder how those AU's will fare...both were in old white holders. I know of one (NOT mine, unfortunately) in an ANACS 65 holder (don't know if it's a newer holder or not)."
    Text

I am happy with mine. I just disagree with ANACs that it is a 64. I know that if I tried to cross it over, it would go down at least 1 point. It does not meet my standards for a 64. But, it is my only uncirculated Type C, so I'm happy with it.

<< <i>"dlmtorts....our hosts have been EXTREMELY strict in crossing over ANACS Type B's (I've seen a MINIMUM 1 point drop.....even 2 pts in a few cases of the newer blue holders....). With that said, even MS63 is a good grade for a tough coin. I wonder how those AU's will fare...both were in old white holders. I know of one (NOT mine, unfortunately) in an ANACS 65 holder (don't know if it's a newer holder or not)."
    Text

I am happy with mine. I just disagree with ANACs that it is a 64. I know that if I tried to cross it over, it would go down at least 1 point. It does not meet my standards for a 64. But, it is my only uncirculated Type C, so I'm happy with it. >>

For ANY Type C, I would never ever consider a crossover. It would be a crackout!

Make no mistake folks, these Type C's are very tough because if you think for a second that dealers and collectors have not been watching the prices and checking their stock, think again. Otherwise, prove me wrong.

Those folks that have "multiple" Type C's, also have my envy.................image

The name is LEE!
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent in a couple XF circ type C rev and also opt for the true view - I'll share the pics when they're done.

Ken
    Make no mistake folks, these Type C's are very tough because if you think for a second that dealers and collectors have not been watching the prices and checking their stock, think again. Otherwise, prove me wrong.

Lee, I agree totally...as I stated in an earlier post, the Type B's are being attributed by dealers in their 2X2's, and with the scarcity of the Type C's....it's anyone's guess when these could explode. It's the first time I've seen that ('Type B' written on a 2X2 in a dealers stock), and I've been hitting the local show circuit, and coming up empty...until this past Sunday. These (both the Type B & Type C) are not going to be very easily 'pickable' for long, I suspect.
  • Wow - 21 pages of posts just on a lil ol type B or (C) washie!

Hold them washies in your silver mint sets folks..

they are worth big $$$$

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file