Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    Vitale is one of the best TTM signers ever. Back in HS we had an auction and he sent a bunch of stuff and added his own postage. There was an article in the 90's about his generosity in Sports Illustrated. I just hope people don't abuse it as autographed obsessed people on the internet have a tendency to do.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice Dick Vitale's. I went to college with his daughter. He's a neat guy. Don't know him personally, but met him several times at school. He always had the same energy and excitement as he portrays on air. I bet that would get old if you had to live with him, but neat to be around for short times.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 1948 Bowman hof'er Bob Feller
    - 1965 Philadephia hof'er Charley Taylor
    - 1977 Topps hof'er Dave Casper

A SCN member was kind enough to take my cards with him and get them signed for me on Friday and Saturday at the MM show in Chicago over the weekend.
  • Options
    I had a very interesting day today. Bo Jackson was doing a free signing at a grand opening of a grocery store 30 minutes from my house. The signing took place between 4:00-6:00 so I left work a little early and had my usual arsenal of items that I bring to all of the free local signing. As I arrived at the event at about 4:15 I noticed that the live for the signing was along the side of the building. It happened to be the hottest day of the year today( heat index of 106*) so the turnout was far from impressive.

The two items I brought with that I really wanted to get signed was my 86 Traded rc and a OMLB. I heard that he was only signing 1 item per person so I found a guy that was just tagging along with his friend and I offered him $5 to get my ball signed. He was happy to help and took my ball and my cash and got it signed for me. Before I knew it I had got my card and my ball signed and it was only 4:45. Bo was scheduled to sign until 6:00 so I decided to hop back in line, which most people were doing since the line was so short. The same scenario took place and I got another card signed and there was still another 50 minutes left and there were only 5 people in line.

I immediately jumped back in line with my third and final card. Before I knew it is was standing in front of Bo for the third time. I placed the card infront of him and said "hello," He gave me a stair down as if he wanted to crush my head. He told me that this was my third trip through the line and that he hated "Hustlas." I immediately said I was sorry and tried to explain to him that there was nobody left in line. I went to grab my card since I was a little embarrassed, and I figured that he didn't want to sign for me. As I motioned for the card he grabbed it off the table and mumbled something. Bo than signed my card with a strange smirk and told me again how he despised "Hustlas." After he signed my card he stuck out my card as to give it back to me. When I went to take it from him he literally took the card and bent it in half and told me to get out of there and he didn't want to see me in line again.

I was absolutely shocked, BO was my childhood hero growing up. I might have been wrong to get in line three times but at least half the crowd was going back for thirds, and fourths. I didn't really see the problem since he was scheduled to sign until 6:00. The moral of the story is, never meet your childhood heroes because there is a good chance you will be very disappointed.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    line or no line, three times through is a tad tacky IMO
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Would he have felt better sitting there without anyone wanting his signature?
  • Options

<< <i>line or no line, three times through is a tad tacky IMO >>

You are absolutely right, I probably shouldn't have gone through the line again. I kind of got caught up in the moment. However, he shouldn't have intentonaly damaged my stuff.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Crazy story John. When you're our age, it's tough to convince guys that you're a legit collector. I've had that problem before but never had something like that happen. Tough one.
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    If I replaced Bo Jackson with Nolan Ryan and put myself in your shoes... I don't think I could've mustered the courage to go through more than once. It would've felt like a huge social faux pas.

That said, I would hope an explanation like the one you gave would've sufficed... or he could've been cordial and said "I don't feel right signing again, but why don't we just shoot the breeze until someone else comes?" Or something.

Eh... forget the third trip happened image
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    I had something similar with Keith Hernandez recently. Keith was doing some free signings at local banks here in NYC. He was there for 2 hours or so and the lines weren't that long. I got my card signed, I waited outside, went back on line a little later and he refused me the second time through. Apparently he thought I was someone else that was trying to get a THIRD auto. I found out he was calling out many people who went through the line a second time.
    If the athlete is there for the stated time, I think he / she should sign if people get back in line and wait their turn (again) as long as it is going to stop others from getting signatures (which it wasn't). Hernandez was nasty about it and I told the bank manager that they lost a potential customer on behalf of his behavior. It's an odd feelings as a grown man getting dismissed at a signing when the person is there to sign autographs. The more time I spend covering sports and attending signings, the less expectations I have for athletes.
    I have also heard though that Jackson is a generally reluctant signer and not that pleasant to deal with. He's not the first athlete I've heard of damaging items. I read Roger McDowell used to bend cards to ensure that people wouldn't re-sell them. His theory was that if they're true fans, they would be happy with the autograph. As a Bo Jackson fan, I'm sure you are happy with having his autograph regardless, just not the experience.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You are absolutely right, I probably shouldn't have gone through the line again. I kind of got caught up in the moment. However, he shouldn't have intentonaly damaged my stuff. >>

you are right in that he shouldn't have damaged your card
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I read Roger McDowell used to bend cards to ensure that people wouldn't re-sell them. >>

McDowell gave my kids 4 baseballs prior to a game 2 or 3 years ago. He told them if they had a pen he would sign them. My son gave him a ball with a pen and he happily signed it and said "Enjoy the game". My son later used it for batting practice. So much for the excitement of the in person experience.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I got there a bit late, I'm sure after you left, and Bo was still fuming. He clearly was ticked off about something as he was telling someone standing near his table he was sick of "people like that" and that he wished he could "smash some skulls without being sued." I just put 2 & 2 together when I read this. There really wasn't anyone in line and only a handful of folks standing around. He signed my card and said, "Dats all you git!" I said That's all I'm want and all I got." I then told him that I knew a person who works at his baseball school in Lockport and he seemed to relax. I can't understand why someone would destroy a baseball card after signing it. I think I might have lost my temper and caused a scene, I don't care how big of a guy he is. He was being paid to be there, no matter if he signed 10,000 autos for 10,000 people or 500 autos for 150 people. If Roger McDowell really does bend cards in half like that, he needs to be punched in the face! Mr. Jackson's behavior was really bad too.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I like how he called you out as a "hustla." That's funny. Bending cards is not cool, but I still like Bo. Bo knows hustlas, but I don't think you are a hustla.

edit to add Bo knows reference because I am a bone head.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Bo knows Hustlas.

That's a funny story but not in a good way. If the people running the singing weren't preventing you from returning, I don't see a problem with it.

However, I would have probably told him that I had already got a sig, was a huge collector of his (not Hustla), and asked if he would sign more for me.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Your childhood hero acting like that must hurt.

I would have probably ripped the card in half at that point and left it on the table.

Or said "How do you expect me to sell this on ebay now?"
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Your childhood hero acting like that must hurt.

I would have probably ripped the card in half at that point and left it on the table.

Or said "How do you expect me to sell this on ebay now?" >>

This would have been classic... might have been enough to send Bo over the edge - just think off all the money you could have sued him for once he hit you - the emotional distress of losing a childhood idol!
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    from the look off Bo's current physical contion I think you could have taken him John! Bo kind of looks like a soft puffy version of Barry Bonds.
  • Options

<< <i>

This would have been classic... might have been enough to send Bo over the edge - just think off all the money you could have sued him for once he hit you - the emotional distress of losing a childhood idol! >>

That would have been classic if I got beat up by my childhood hero. I think he might have hit me if I would have torn up the card in front of him. The funny part about this story that I forgot to add, was that there was an 85 year old lady in front of me that had a FS Auburn helmet that she was getting signed for her son. She asked Bo what state Auburn was in and his replay was, "you are the fan asking to get my autograph, you should know what state I went to school in. At first I thought he might be joking. After the incident I had with him I am sure he was serious when he said that to the old lady.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This would have been classic... might have been enough to send Bo over the edge - just think off all the money you could have sued him for once he hit you - the emotional distress of losing a childhood idol! >>

That would have been classic if I got beat up by my childhood hero. I think he might have hit me if I would have torn up the card in front of him. The funny part about this story that I forgot to add, was that there was an 85 year old lady in front of me that had a FS Auburn helmet that she was getting signed for her son. She asked Bo what state Auburn was in and his replay was, "you are the fan asking to get my autograph, you should know what state I went to school in. At first I thought he might be joking. After the incident I had with him I am sure he was serious when he said that to the old lady. >>

That may just win "Celebrity DBOTW".
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That would have been classic if I got beat up by my childhood hero. I think he might have hit me if I would have torn up the card in front of him. The funny part about this story that I forgot to add, was that there was an 85 year old lady in front of me that had a FS Auburn helmet that she was getting signed for her son. She asked Bo what state Auburn was in and his replay was, "you are the fan asking to get my autograph, you should know what state I went to school in. At first I thought he might be joking. After the incident I had with him I am sure he was serious when he said that to the old lady. >>

Bo was a d--k to you, but that was a stupid question the old lady asked and she deserved a smartassed response.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bo was a d--k to you, but that was a stupid question the old lady asked and she deserved a smartassed response. >>

I highly doubt my mother, or many others could tell you college info for any of the stars I collect.
  • Options
    -1957 Topps hof'er Frank Robinson
    - 1992 Impel U.S. Olympicards Oscar De La Hoya

I couple of cool additions to my RC collection came in the mail today. The Frank was from a private signing that a SCN member set up. The Oscar was signed at the Lake Tahoe celebrity golf outing that a SCN member attended last weekend.

• Options

Yep, especially when they specifically said that it was supposed to be only one item per person.

• Options

<< <i>from the look off Bo's current physical contion I think you could have taken him John! Bo kind of looks like a soft puffy version of Barry Bonds. >>

Thats exactly who I thought he looked like too,
  • Options
    This is that dumb s--t that pisses off athletes and makes them skeptical. Old lady or not, that's a nonsense question that exposes you as a mark. It's like when I go to minor league games and the kids ask the players if they're any good while getting their autos.

<< <i>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bo was a d--k to you, but that was a stupid question the old lady asked and she deserved a smartassed response. >>

I highly doubt my mother, or many others could tell you college info for any of the stars I collect. >>

That's more than likely true, but if you're going to give them a full sized Auburn helmet, tell them to keep their mouth shut. Of course, in the old lady's day, Auburn was known as API, so I guess I can see where she was confused.
  • Options
    -1956 Topps hof'er Joe Schmidt (TTM)
    -1974 Topps hof'er Joe DeLamielleure (SCN)
    -1977 Topps hof'er Leroy Selmon (SCN)

A few more updates to my HOF football collection arrived in the mail. The Schmidt was obtained TTM and the DeLamielleure and Selmon were purchased from a SCN board member.
  • Options
    -1977 Topps hof'er Bruce Sutter (IP paid signing)

What a pain in the butt it was to get this card signed. Yesterday I went to the Andre Dawson and friends Celebrity softball game. The game had a killer lineup of hof'ers and semi stars. The game was advertised as a free signing for about 20 players. The only reason I attended the game was to get a card signed by Sutter and Gary Sheffield. Once I was in the game I found out that the only item that the players were signing was a program that you had to buy from the game. The problem with this was that the players were being rotated in and out of the signing booth in groups and I was in group 2 and Sutter was in group 1. The event costed me $23 to get in and I spent around $15 in gas to get their and back. After nearly wasting 3 hours of my life and went home without a single autograph.

I noticed that Sutter was doing a paid signing ($35 for cards) today at a card shop that was 30 minutes from my house. I figured that I would run there after work and get my card signed. The part that I failed to reconize was that there was heavy road construction and I would be stuck in traffic for almost 3 hours. This voyage would wind up costing me another $25 in gas. So when all was said and done, I spent over 6 hours of time and almost $100 to get my one card signed. image
  • Options
    That's a nice Sutter card. I wonder if he still has nightmares of Ryne Sandberg.
  • Options
    I got to meet Bruce Sutter July 20 at a reception. He spoke at
    a BPA youth baseball tournament. At the opening BPA
    ceremony he talked about the time Sandberg hit 2 home runs
    off him.

He was a very nice guy, real cordial with at the reception, and
    signed tons of stuff, my 8 year old son got a ball signed, I got
    a bunch of cards signed, he was nice as could be and real
    friendly.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man ... that SUCKS about all the time and money you spent on that Sutter card ... at least the auto came out real nice!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    -1955 Topps hof'er Harmon Killebrew
    -1965 Topps hof'er Joe Morgan
    -1994 SP Marshall Faulk
    -2001 Fleer Tradition Drew Brees

I got back some really nice additions to my RC collection. A SCN board member has been helping me get some cards signed over the past few months. Here are just a few of the successes he has got me. All of the cards were signed in person at different charity golf events as well as at several Dodgers games. Here are some of the success that he has obtained for me. I will update the rest of them over the next few days. Thanks Jes, you are the man!!!

• Options
    -1985 Topps traded Tiffany Ozzie Guillen (local signing)
    -1995 Bowman's Best Bobby Abreu
    -1994 Score Torii Hunter
    -1990 Score Bernie Williams
    - Panini Austin Powers card Vern Troyer

I attended a local Ozzie Guillen signing today. This was the first time that I brought my wife with to one of these events. She is the furthest thing from a sports fan and has very little patience when it comes to standing in lines. Fortunately, the line was very short and we only had to wait 15 minutes to get my two items signed ($5 donation per item). The Abreu, Hunter and Troyer are the rest of the cards that a scn got signed for me over the past couple of months. The Bernie Williams was picked up through a trade with a SCN member. The authenticity is questionable since it was signed TTM back in the 90's.
  • Options
    This thread makes me want to get back into TTM autographs
  • Options
    - 1980 Topps hof'er Rickey Henderson (IP signing)
    - 2001 Pacific Dynagon Drew Brees (TTM)

A couple of really nice returns awaited my arrival home today. The Rickey Henderson rc was obtained at a public signing that a board member attended. Thanks Barry!!! Even though his signing fee is a little steep I really wanted to get my card signed from an IP signing. The second return was equally exciting. I sent Drew Brees a TTM request in the middle of last season. I was very surprised to get it back after all this time. He must have signed his mail after getting to camp this year. The graph appears to be authentic after comparing it to the one that was obtained IP.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John,

Two REAL NICE additions. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PSA would not grade my card that was sent to Brees TTM image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, is that Rickey a PSA 9 crack-out? Solid...
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, is that Rickey a PSA 9 crack-out? Solid... >>

It was the best looking PSA 7 that I have ever cracked out. The grader must have had a scratch on his glasses when he graded this one. The card has an honest shot at a 9. The back of the card looks just as nice as the front too.
  • Options
    That Henderson is an eye popper. Do you mind me asking what Ricky charged to sign the card?
  • Options
    -
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That Henderson is an eye popper. Do you mind me asking what Ricky charged to sign the card? >>

<< <i>

He charges a lot, I think I paid $99
  • Options
    100 bucks is a little steep, but worth every penny, especially to have the 80 Topps signed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Great Stuff, especially the baseball. I was wondering who you got Jerry Lucas and Earl Monroe through at the Private Signing and the price. Tremendous Rookies, many baseball you just have to be lucky. Great George Brett and Cal Ripken. The Dr. J on his rookie, I almost did that but I went with a Signed Basketball instead. I think he is more than a tad pricey at Shows.
  • Options
    -1966 Philadelphia hof'er Dick Butkus (in person)

I attending a free Butkus signing today. It was an absolute nightmare to get my card signed. I was very fortunate to have a work client near the signing. I was able to get there 3 hours early since my clients office was only 10 minutes away.

There were atleast 700 people that showed up and Butkus only signed 300 since they were letting people take pictures with him. The police were actually called when the crowd was about to riot when they cut off the line. Most people were in line for over 2 hours and got nothing. It was also 95 degrees outside, which didn't make things any better. I was extremely fortunate to get my card signed.

I am very happy how my card turned out (PSA 5 crackout) but this might be the last time I go to a free signing for a hof'er. There are just way to many people that show up for these events. I would rather pay a few bucks and not have to show up so early and deal with the crowds. Alot of people forget about what it means to stand in line and have any kind of social etticit when a hof'er is signing. I am getting a little to old to wrestle other grown men to keep my place in line to get a stinking autograph. It is rediculous how 1 person stands in line and than 15 minutes before the signing they have 5 of their friends jump in line with them.

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    At least Butkus didn't bend your card in half like big, bad Bo did...lol. Nice auto, even if it was a PITA to get.

I've only attended 1 free signing - which was for Dan Hampton several years ago (In Plainfield). It was the grand opening of a new bank and my friend and I got there 2 hours early and waited in the freezing rain with hundreds of other people and got to eat the worst BBQ sandwich that I ever tasted and then get pushed and shoved in line until our turn finally came. The Danimal couldn't have been nicer, however it just wasn't worth dealing with the weather and all of the other animals in line.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    - 1968 Topps hof'er Nolan Ryan (PSA 4.5 crackout)

I received back TTM one of my white whales today. This was my absolute favorite card when I was a kid, that I could never afford to buy. I sent the card into Ryan's foundation ($35 donation) in the beggining of March. I was starting to think the card was never going to come back.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice card John. Looks good.
    Buying US Presidential autographs