Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Magic/Bird/Erving looks nice. Out of all the signed rookies I have, mine is one of my favorites as well. Something about the guys that dominated the sport when I was growing up is part of the allure of that card. Also, to me, the fact that it's just one of the normal cards in the set is neat. It's not limited, it's not a manufactured rarity with a serial number stamped on it, it's not a sticker autographed card, it's just a basic standard issued Topps card that houses 3 of the most dominant players in the history of the NBA, and two of those happen to be rookies. Outstanding!! >>

It may be the only rookie card that depicts three of the top 50 players of all time in their sport. If there is another, I can't think of it.

Btw, how'd you come across the Moon? That's one I'd like to add.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 2008 Bowman Chrome Derrick Rose (IP)
    - logo puck Bobby Hull (ttm)

A pair of Chicago's past and present stars arrived in the mail this week. The Rose was signed IP by a SCN member that attended camp. The logo puck was a nice surprise. I sent the puck TTM to Bobby Hull earlier this year.
  • Options
    -1962 Topps hof'er Mike Ditka (in person)
    - hof'er Dick Butkus McFarlane base (TTM)

I got a couple of Chicago Bears legends over the last two weeks. The first was one that I have been trying to hunt down since I got back into collecting autographs. I was fortunate to get my Ditka RC signed at a book signing. The second was a TTM return from Dick Butkus. He signed my McFarlane base with a donation to his charity.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Two really nice results!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    - 1952 Bowman small Hof'er Andy Robustelli
    - 1962 Fleer Charlie Hennigan
    - 1996 Jakks WWF Superstars Mankind (Mick Foley) action figure

I picked up the Robustelli and the Hennigan though a trade with a SCN member. The Mankind (Mick Foley) was signed at a local book signing this weekend by my house. I am not a big wrestling fan but since the signing was free and 5 minutes from me, I figured I would attend the event since he is a legend in the sport of Pro wrestling.

• Options
    - 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens (private signing)
    - 1987 Topps Pepper Johnson (private signing)

I received back one of my favorite cards in my autograph collection today. A SCN member was able to put together a small private signing with Roger and got my 84 rc signed for me for a very reasonable price.

• Options
    - 1978 Topps hof'er Mike Bossy (public signing)
    - 1981 Topps hof'er Dino Ciccarelli

A SCN board member took my card to a show and got it signed for me. I have been trying to get this card signed since I got back into collecting auto's. I am very happy to be able to knock this off my list of HOF'ers.

• Options
    - 1974 Topps hof'er George Gervin (CSA show)

A SCN board member was kind enough to take my Gervin RC to the CSA show. I was very surprised that Mr. Gervin added both his "HOF96" and "ICE" inscriptions. Thanks David!!

• Options
    It is a nice item the Gervin. Real Nice Dino Ciccarelli. The Hockey Hall of Famers are pretty great. I got Angela James, the Wayne Gretzky of Women's Hockey a couple weeks ago. I have almost every living Hall of Famer except George Armstrong and Ken Dryden. I don't know why George Armstrong is so tough.
  • Options
    DA ICE MAN!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    - 1999 Bowman's Best C.C. Sabathia
    - 2002 Topps Joe Mauer
    - 2001 Bowman Justin Morneau

I picked up a few nice modern rc's of possible future HOF'ers from a reputable SCN board member. All three of them were obtained IP when they were in AA or in the early parts of their careers.

• Options
    I was able to get my FS Bear Helmet signed today by Mike Ditka and Dan Hampton. I still need to get Sayers, Butkus, and Singletary to finish it.
  • Options
    - 1985 Topps Tiffany Eric Davis
    - 1974 Topps Ray Guy
    - 1955 Bowman hof'er Bob St. Clair

A SCN board member was able to get a few of my cards signed for me at a show last weekend. The Ray Guy rc I got signed is not the best looking card around. However it is very difficult to find well centered and in NM condition.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you were at Ditkaween in Oakbrook too!
  • Options
    -1951 Parkhurst hof'er Milt Schmidt (ttm)
    -1952 Bowman large hof'er Andy Robustelli (ttm)

These two TTM's came in the mail this week from a couple of football and hockey legends. They were both kind enough to sign my card with the fine tip Staedtler I included.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Always love signed 51 Parkies. You should pick up Fernie Flaman too. He's a 51P HOFer that signs TTM. I'm looking for a 54 Topps to get done myself.
  • Options
    The 51 Parkies are really cool. I sent a 51 to Emile Bouchard back in July with a small donation. I am really hoping I get that one back signed at some point. It is pretty incredible that a lot of the hockey players still sign considering they are almost 90 years old.
  • Options
    - 1985 OPC hof'er Mario Lemieux (PSA 7 crackout) (IP)
    - 1985 Topps box bottom hof'er Mario Lemieux (IP)
    - 1988 Topps Tiffany Tom Glavine (PSA 8 crackout) (IP)
    - ROMLB Tom Glavine(IP)
    - 1981 OPC hof'er Denis Savard (IP)
    - Starting Lineup hof'er Bobby Hull (IP)

I happened to notice this afternoon, while sitting at my desk, eating lunch and surfing the web, that the Bauer (hockey) invitational was being held 15 minutes from my house. I have been trying to get my Lemieux and Glavine rc's signed for over a year. It just happened to be random luck that I stumbled across this event today. I am absolutley thrilled to be able to knock off Lemiieux from my list of Hof'ers. He is really expensive at shows and I probably would have never got my card signed if I didn't see him at an event. The Topps card is going to need a could trim job. I was in a hurray, and just cut the panel right from the empty box I had sitting in my basement.

• Options
    - 1975 OPC hof'er Jim Rice (SCN signing)
    - 1967 Philly Chris Hanburger (ttm)
    - Big Stick bat hof'er Ernie Banks (public free signing)

Ernie Banks was announced to sign a few days ago at the grand opening of a Microsoft store at our local mall. Unfortunately I didn't have time pick up a RC. However, I am really happy to get a bat signed with two inscriptions. This is the first time I have had the pleasure to meet Ernie.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I love the Banks bat! Im starting to really like single signed bats even though I only have 2...Rose and Snider. Maybe I will pick up a few next year.
  • Options
    I think when bats are displayed properly they are great conversation pieces.
  • Options
    Chris Hanburger is personalizing everything now. He did not before he was a finalist. I got his 1968 Topps signed and a Index Card about 2 years ago both Not Personalized. I hope he gets in. My guess is if he does, He won't be signing for free anymore. Also that is a really great Denis Savard and Mario Rookie!
  • Options
    - 1973 Dwight Evans (MAB)
    - 2002 Topps Finest Albert Haynesworth
    - 2003 Bowman Chrome Ryan Howard

I want to give a big thanks to Bill (InitialD) for getting my Dewey rc signed for me at the MAB show last weekend. I also picked up a Howard and Haynesworth rc from a couple of SCN board members.

• Options
    - 1948 Bowman hof'er Red Schoendienst (SCN signing)
    - 1975 Topps hof'er Mel Blount (SCN signing)

I got these two hof'ers back from a couple of SCN signings. As usual I procrastinated to find a decent looking Schoendienst rc, and was scrambling to find a card to get signed. I had the choice of either a severely OC card or one that was pretty beat up. I opted for the OC card. I am very pleased with how the signature came out. I requested to get it signed in a blue ball point pen instead of a thin sharpie. I think that card turned out really nice and I kind of wish I got all my 48's signed in ballpoint pen after getting this back.
  • Options
    - 1961 Fleer hof'er Oscar Robertson (SunTimes Show)
    - 1958 Topps hof'er Jim Brown (SunTimes Show)
    - 1968 Topps Jerry Koosman (SunTimes Show)

I attended the Chicago SunTimes show today and was able to get three nice cards signed while at the show. This is also my one year anniversary for collecting signed RC's and there was no better way to celebrate it than to get two of the all-time greats in sports History. I have wanted to get both, Brown and Robertson since I got back into collecting cards a few years ago. I am absolutely thrilled to be able to finally add them to my signed HOF collection.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice show you had John. Congrats on the one year anniversary. Your signed rookie colleciton has come a hell of a long way in a year!!

I haven't seen my Oscar yet from the show, hopefully Donnie will send me a scan. I asked him to have Oscar sign "Oscar Robertson" instead of "The Big O" so hopefully Oscar complied and I get a nice sig like you did.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    John ... Once again some really nice results. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    when did the "Kooz" get out of jail?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Three Really Awesome Cards. The Oscar Robertson is Really a beauty he was what $85-$90 at the show. The Big O is one of the 5 Greatest Basketball Cards of all-time along with Jordan, Wilt 1961, Russell 1957 , and the 1948 Mikan. Definitely worth it and Jim Brown on one the 5 or 10 Greatest Football Cards of All-Time. The only card that could top it would be Bronko Nagurski on the 1935 National Chicle. That is Money Well Spent!
  • Options
    Love the Jim Brown! He's on my list of people I'd like to get in 2011.
  • Options
    I think you were right in front of me and my friend on Saturday in Jim Browns line. The signature turned out nice and if I known that was you, I would have said hi.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you were right in front of me and my friend on Saturday in Jim Browns line. The signature turned out nice and if I known that was you, I would have said hi. >>

I got three of them signed at the show. One for me and two others for a couple of board members. If the guy in front of you was getting three then it was probably me. image The next time you go to a local show let me know, I always like to meet fellow board members.
  • Options
    Sure thing, always head to the sun times shows. Well that was indeed you then. White guy, late 20's maybe with several rookies in hand. It's a small world sometimes. I remember telling my buddy, "Look, that guy's gonna have him sign a few rookies, that's what I should have done." Then he said "Let's be thankful we're each getting one signed." He's was right as I was pretty happy to get it. $100 well spent.
  • Options
    - 1980 OPC hof'er Michel Goulet (ttm)
    - 1978 OPC hof'er Bernie Federko (ttm)

A couple of cool hockey HOF'ers came in the mail today that I recently sent out TTM. Even though the Blackhawks aquired Goulet late in his career he is was still one of my favorite players to watch growing up.

• Options
    Love the Goulet! Reminds me of playing a hockey game on super nintendo in like 1992. He was a stud.
  • Options
    - 1969 Topps Hof'er Earl Weaver (scn signing)
    - 1960 Topps Jim Kaat (scn signing)
    - ProV1x ball (GU) Davis Love III (ttm 379 days)
    - ROMLB Hof'er Stan Musial (ttm)!!!!!!

A couple of cool TTM's arrived this week. I had sent out a 1990 Proset rc to Davis Love III over a year ago. Even though he didn't return my RC he did send me a signed Prov1x that has been played with. I assume that he wanted to keep a copy of his RC and sent me one of his balls out of his bag. The second TTM I got back I am thrilled about. I sent Stan a OMLB with a relatively small donation for a player of his stature. It is truly amazing that he is still willing to sign TTM after all these years. This is hands down my favorite signed ball in my small collection.
  • Options
    - 1965 Philadelphia hof'er Dick LeBeau (ttm)
    - 1983 Topps hof'er Wade Boggs (ebay)

I was really happy to get the LeBeau back in the mail today. He was even kind enough to return the Staedtler marker I sent with my card!! I also picked up a signed Boggs rc off of eBay from a reputable seller that I have purchased from in the past.

• Options
    - 1969 OPC hof'er Tony Esposito (public signing)
    - 1969 Topps hof'er Dave Bing (CU member)
    - 1990 Hoops Vlade Divac (IP)
    - 1990 Skybox Vlade Dicac (IP)

I picked up few nice signatures today in person. The Esposito was signed at a local showin Chicago. He seems like a good guy and spent a lot of time talking to his fans and posing for pics. I also got a 16x20 signed, but my wife left my camera by my parents place. I also added Gale Sayers to my multi signed FS Bears Helmet.

On the way to, and from the show I stopped by a restaurant that is less then 5 minutes from my house. Vlade Divac was hosting a Charity event and I was able to get a card signed for myself and a fellow board member.
  • Options
    Great looking Espo! I mailed my Espo rookie in for that show and can't wait till I get it back.
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Nice score on Divac, he is a toughie!
  • Options
    More nice additions! Where was Divac signing at?
  • Options
    - 1951 Berk Ross hof'er Bill Sharman (SCN signing)
    - FS Chicago Bears multi signed helmet- hof'er Gale Sayers (local show)
    - 16x20 flat hof'er Tony Esposito (local show)

I was really excited to be able to add Bill Sharman to my hof rc collection. For some reason my scanner does not show this card well. The card was a PSA 5 that was cracked out and the signature is gorgeous in person.
  • Options
    -1984 Topps Traded Dwight Gooden (SCN signing)
    -1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden (SCN signing)
    - 1970 OPC hof'er Bob Clarke (ttm)
    - index card x2 hof'er Reggie Miller (IP)

I had a cool encounter with Reggie Miller while on vacation/work this weekend. My family and I thought we would try the famous Pink's Hot Dogs while we were in Hollywood. As we were standing in a line of over 100 people waiting to order a couple of dogs, Reggie Miller walked up and began filming a commercial. I was fortunate to be wearing my backpack at the time that had a few index cards and a sharpie in it. After they were done filming I was able to jump out of line and got Reggie to sign a couple for me.
  • Options
    -1981 Topps hof'er Kellen Winslow
    - 1972 Topps hof'er Larry Little
    - 1982 Topps Lee Smith

A SCN board member attended a signing at the FB HOF over the weekend and got a couple of rc's signed for me. The Lee Smith was signed at a charity signing near my house.

• Options
    - 1978 Topps hof'er Paul Molitor (SCN singing)
    - 1952 Bowman large hof'er Frank Gifford (TTM)
    - 16x20 flat hof'er Stan Mikita (local signing)

A couple of nice Hof rc's came in the mail today. The Molitor was a BGS 8 that was cracked out. I think I might get Trammell to sign it before I sub it to PSA. I was pleasantly surprised to get back my Gifford rc. The card is pretty beat up but I am happy to be able to add it to my collection. Mikita did a free signing over the weekend. I was unfortunately out of town for it and had to pay to get this signed at another local signing. Next up, is to get Bobby Hull and than I will attempt to get Dennis Savard to sign it. Savard is known to decline signing this picture because a contractual agreement with the Hawks. I am hoping that if I have the other three signed first he will have a change of heart.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how when you look at the older players, they ALWAYS looked older than the players of today... Those Blackhawks look like they're in their 60's!!! image

• Options
    Nice score on Reggie Miller. His IP auto at times is barely more than an R.
  • Options
    - 1980 OPC hof'er Ray Bourque
    - 1971 Topps hof'er Nate Archibald

I want to give a huge thank you to Bill (initialD) for getting me a Bourque rc signed for me at a signing in MA. Bourque was one of my favorite non-Blackhawks players growing up and is a difficult/expensive signature to obtain outside of the Boston area.

The second card I got back today was also a pleasant surprise. I sent Tiny a TTM request almost a year ago and I had figured that it wasn't coming back. This was the second card he signed for me through TTM. The first one I sent him last year got smeared when he put it back into my CS1. I figured I would try a different method this time around. I attached the card directly to a piece of cardboard with photo corners and included a fine tip Staedtler.
  • Options
    That's a pretty clever idea. Did the back the the card get damaged when you attached it?

Love the Lee Smith too. He has always been friendly the few times I met him and hope you caught him on a good day!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I have always been a big fan on the Bourque RC.