Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Great Ricky Williams card to get signed, John. Nice job! Did you happen to ask PH if she signed many baseballs? I'd be curious.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great Ricky Williams card to get signed, John. Nice job! Did you happen to ask PH if she signed many baseballs? I'd be curious. >>

Mike, I don't think she has signed many. She asked me where she wanted me to sign it as if she was unfamiliar with how to sign it. It literally took her over a minute to sign it which felt like an eternity to me, with over 20 photographers from the media snapping off photos of her signing it. I was one of the hand full of people that brought their own items to sign. I am not a big fan of taking photo ops but this was one I happy to get. She also held up my photos after she signed them to show them off to the audience. I kind of felt like a perv but afterwards I was thrilled to get everything signed. It was definitely a moment in life I probably won't forget.
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great Ricky Williams card to get signed, John. Nice job! Did you happen to ask PH if she signed many baseballs? I'd be curious. >>

Mike, I don't think she has signed many. She asked me where she wanted me to sign it as if she was unfamiliar with how to sign it. It literally took her over a minute to sign it which felt like an eternity to me, with over 20 photographers from the media snapping off photos of her signing it. I was one of the hand full of people that brought their own items to sign. I am not a big fan of taking photo ops but this was one I happy to get. She also held up my photos after she signed them to show them off to the audience. I kind of felt like a perv but afterwards I was thrilled to get everything signed. It was definitely a moment in life I probably won't forget. >>

Lol, some nice pick ups, John! Top 5 on the planet though? What she top 5 on the planet pre or post writing hearts on your baseball? image
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    You may want to think about getting those Paris Hilton photos laminated :0

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    - 2004 SP Authentic Luol Deng (IP)
    - 2004 Topps Chrome refractor Luol Deng (IP)
    - 2007 Donruss Elite Darwin Barney(IP)
    - 2011 Topps Heritage Darwin Barney (IP)

I attended a couple of free signings this week here in Chicago. I have been wanting to add Deng to my collection for some time now. I feel he is one of the more under rated players in the NBA.
  • Options
    - 1971 Topps hof'er Terry Bradshaw ( CSA show courtesy of Denver autographs)
    - 1969 Topps Lucius Allen (ttm)
    - 1991 Wild card 1000 stripe Larry Johnson (IP SCN member)

A few nice additions arrived in the mail today. I sent my Bradshaw into Denver autographs and they got it signed for me at the CSA show last week. I also got back a pretty cool card IMO. This Larry Johnson card was once a very sought after card back when I was growing up. I would imagine there aren't many signed versions of this card.
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Nice Bradshaw! I've been debating on ponying up for him.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Nice adds... I remember those LJ's back in the day, cool card for a sig!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Those 1000 stripes are much more difficult to find than most people realize. I had a master set of 1991 Wild Card football that I sold years ago; it had every stripe for every card, including the Favre card.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    - 1955 Topps hof'er Ace Parker (ttm)
    - ROMLB Monte Irvin (ttm)
    - (5) 1986 Fleer basketball (ttm)
    - (3) 1969 Topps basketball (ttm)

There aren't many HOf'ers that I still need that are attainable TTM, so I was pretty happy to get my Ace Parker back this week. I have also started focusing more on my 86 and 69 basketball sets since I already have most of the HOF rc's signed in these sets.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Very cool thread!
    The Paris Hilton ball looks like a 3rd grader signed it. I guess she's not used to signing balls... (insert clever "balls" joke here)

Also, do you know if Dale Murphy does TTM and if so, do you have his address? Thank you!

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME returns John ... that Cazzie came out sweet!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    - ROMLB hof'er Jim Bunning (ttm)
    -ROMLB hof'er Rollie Fingers (ttm)
    -1969 Topps Gary Gregor (ttm)
    -1969 Topps Emmette Bryant (ttm)

Here are the TTM returns from last week. I was pretty excited to get my ball back signed from Mr. Bunning. I was also able to bang out a bunch of TTM requests for my 69 and 86basketball sets over the holliday weekend. I am hopping to start seeing some more returns over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    - 2006 eTopps Devin Hester (IP)
    - 2006 Topps Chrome refractor Devin Hester (IP)
    -1985 Topps Hulk Hogan (TTM)
    - 1969 Topps Tom Boerwinkle (TTM)
    -1969 Topps Darrall Imhoff (TTM)

I took a half day off of work yesterday and went to a free Devin Hester signing last night with a buddy of mine. I figured that it would be easy pickings being a Monday night in southern Illinois. Man, was I wrong! They gave out autograph tickets to the first 500 people and there were still another 300 people hoping to get a chance at an auto. I was lucky to find a guy in front of me that was just tagging along with a friend, that wasn't interested in getting a signature. I gave him $10 and he was happy to get my second card signed for me. I also got a pretty cool TTM retun in the mail today from legendary wrestler Hulk Hogan.
  • Options
    - 1984 Topps hof'er Andre Tippett (CSA)
    - 1971 Topps hof'er Kenny Houston (CSA)
    - 1989 ProSet hof'er Randall McDaniel (CSA)
    - 1969 Topps Don Ohl (TTM)

A SCN board member helped me out at the CSA show last weekend and got a few cards signed for me.
  • Options
    - 1982 OPC hof'er Joe Mullen
    - 1980 OPC hof'er Rod Langway
    - (8) 1969 Topps basketball (TTM)

I had a huge day of returns today for my 69 basketball set. I had 8 cards come back signed today, which is easily the most I have ever got back in one day. I know have 29 of the 98 cards signed from the set. I also bought a couple hockey HOF rc's from a SCN board member.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Awesome signed '69 Topps cards. Satch Sanders, Hank Finkel and the rest of the gang. Very nice. - Kevin M.
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. This is the first time I've attempted to put together a whole autographed set. I am really starting to like the way the 69's look signed. The white background really helps the signature standout. I also think it is a great set to get signed since it only has 98 cards in it, which doesn't make it so overwhelming. It also has a bunch of HOF rc's which lets me kill to birds with one stone. There are also only 8 players in the set that are deceased which makes it a little bit more manageable to complete.
  • Options
    Excellent work John. Glad to see you tackling the '69 set...until we start competing for the dead guys. HA! image
  • Options
    Very nice 1969s. I will send you a message of the people that signed for me in the set and did not. I have 66 of the 98. All but 2 of them I got TTM.
  • Options
    - FS Chicago Bears Helmet Richard Dent (IP)
    - 11x14 Richard Dent (IP)
    - (2) 1985 Topps Richard dent (IP)
    - ROMLB Goose Gossage (ttm)
    - ROMLB Ryne Sandberg (IP SCN member)
    - (2) 11x14 Dan Hampton (IP)
    - (2) 1981 Topps Dan Hampton (IP)
    - (3) 1969 Topps basketball (ttm)

I had some time tonight to get caught up with some of my scans. I was able to go to a free signing at a local grocery store and got Richard Dent to sign my full size Chicago Bears HOF helmet. This is probably my favorite multi signed project I'm working on. I currently have Sayers, Ditka, Hampton, Dent, and UIrlachor on it (Hopefully he gets into the HOF). Now I just need Butkus and Singletary.

I have been slowly working on picking up signed baseball's of HOF'ers and got Goose TTM and a SCN member got my ball signed by Ryno at a game last week.

I went to a free signing with Dan Hampton a few weeks back and got several items signed. He is probably one of the nicest HOF'ers out there and is always willing to sign whatever you have for him.

Last but not least, I received back a few set cards for my 69 Set. I was a little disappointed that the Hauffman got smeared and I might try resending another one at some point in the future.
  • Options
    - 1954 Parkhurst hof'er Johnny Bower (ttm)
    - (3) 1975 Topps hof'er Moses Malone (scn signing)
    - 1986 Fleer hof'er Moses Malone (scn signing)

A few nice additions arrived in the mail box today. The first was from legendary hocky hof'er Johnny Bower. Unfortunately the card is in terrible condition and is starting to crumble any time I touch the card. I will eventually try and find a better looking card and get it auto'ed at a show in the future. I just wanted to make sure I got a rc singed knowing that Bower is up there in age, and I can't imagine that he will be signing for that much longer. The next 4 cards I am ecstatic to get back from the Moses Malone signing. I know that the OPT had a very difficult time getting this signing to take place. I really couldn't be more happy with how they all turned out. Thanks Heidi!
  • Options
    WTG JOHN ... quite a few more additions! it's nice to get some of the old timers!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say that you have a great collection. I'm from the Chicago area also and have been to many of the public signings you've attended. I was going to go to the Richard Dent signing at Meijer last Friday too, but I couldn't make it. Was is a big turn out? How early did you get there? Again, great collection!

Thanks,
    R-Mac
  • Options
    I got a few set cards in the mail this week. I am really starting to enjoy the 69 set cards.
    I wish there was a football set with lots of HOF'ers that has less than 150 cards in it. Just from personal experience, I wouldn't have the patience for a set any longer than that. If anyone has andy suggestions, I would love to hear them.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Nice Da Bears autos. I think UIrlachor gets in...and if for some reason he doesn't...I dont think any Bears or football fan will mind him with that group.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    - 16x20 Ernie Banks (private signing)
    - 1950 Bowman hof'er Y.A. Tittle (CU member)
    - 1969 Topps hof'er Bailey Howel (ttm)
    - (3) 69 Topps & 86 fleer basketball (ttm)

I got one of my all time favorite photos signed by Ernie Banks during a private signing with him. This will be getting framed and hung in my home office as soon as I can scrape together some cash once I get back from the Nationals. I also picked up this Y.A Tittle rc for my HOF rc collection from Jmhockey23. I got back a few set cards TTM for the two basketball sets I'm working on.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    John, that Banks looks sweet. trying to find a nice RC right now for Banks in Aug. As well.
  • Options
    You are STEAMROLLING through 69, John! No rush because I don't know when I'll see him but if you find a decent 69 Baylor, fire it out to me. Maybe just put it in the box w/ my national stuff on it's way back? I'm in no rush for my stuff after the show.
  • Options
    - 1986 Fleer hof'er Hakeem Olajuwon (private signing)
    - 1952 Bowman large hof'er Art Donovan (ttm)
    - 1969 Topps Loy Petersen (ttm)

A couple hof'ers arrived in the mail today. The Hakeem was signed during a private signing and Art Donovan was signed TTM with a $25 donation.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's a sharp Hakeem. I found out late about the signing and had to settle for a oc top to bottom one. Nice card
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Ya, I was really happy with the condition of the card. I won a ebay auction a week, or so, before the signing. I have to admit, I am a little disappointed with his signature. I would have thought from a sit sown signing he would have given a better auto. However, I read that the group hosting the signing had over 1000 items for Hakeem and had him sign all of the mail in requests last, which kind of sucks. I would imagine that it must get very monotonous to sign your name after the first 500 times.
  • Options
    - NBA Authentic game ball hof'er Scottie Pippen (IP)
    - 11x14 hof'er Scotty Pippen (IP)

Yesterday I read an add on one of the local websites for a free Scotty Pippen signing at a Dick's Sporting goods. In the past Pippen would only sign a preprinted 5x7 that his management provided at these free signing. Since it was a weekend, and it didn't require me to take off any time from work, I decided to take the chance that he might sign outside items. Normally, Pippen is not the most fan friendly, so I was a little surprised to see him so willing to sign everyone's items. I was able to get an NBA authentic ball signed. With the help from another guy who I gave $10 to, I also got my 11x14 signed too with his HOF 2010 inscription.
  • Options
    Very nice, that's Awesome!! Pippen was great to watch. I don't think we'd know Michael Jordan the way we do today if it wasn't for him.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Sweet Pippen!
  • Options
    That is awesome to get Scottie Pippen for Free. Awesome Basketball and Photo. Pippen is a TOUGH Autograph.Very Awesome.
  • Options
    - F/S Chicago Bears Helmet hof'er Dick Butkus- (IP)
    - McFarlane Chris Chelios (IP)
    - 11x14 Chris Chelios (IP)
    - logo puck Chris Chelios (IP)
    - 1990 UD hof'er Viacheslav Fetisov
    -1990 UD hof'er Igor Larionov
    - 1994 SC future Hof'er Kevin Mawae
    - 1986 FleerJerry Sichting (ttm)

A local grocery store had a free signing with Dick Butkus and Chris Chelios this week. I was pretty happy to add Butkus to my HOF Bears helmet. The only living Bears hof'er I still need to get is Mike Singletary. I also picked up a few signed hof/future hof rc's from a SCN member.
  • Options
    - 1965 Topps hof'er Willie Brown
    - 1978 Topps hof'er John Stallworth
    - 1973 Topps hof'er Jack Ham
    - 1971 Topps Bobby Douglass
    - ROMLB Jack Clark

Here is the haul from my first day at the Nationals. I am really pleased with how everything turned out. I couldn't beleive how nice of a guy Jack Clark is. He really blinged out my ball with inscriptions.
  • Options
    That Clark ball is very sweet. Did he make you pay for the inscriptions or just add them for free?

Can't wait to see my Iron Mike's Sunday, especially if he does my inscription. Sure wish I could be there.

Mike

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Use to always hate watching Clark play. (Being a Royals fan and usually when I did see him play it was against the Royals.)

Very cool ball.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>That Clark ball is very sweet. Did he make you pay for the inscriptions or just add them for free?

Can't wait to see my Iron Mike's Sunday, especially if he does my inscription. Sure wish I could be there.

Mike >>

Nope, The guy in front of me got a couple inscriptions and I commented on how nice it looked. He then asked me if I wanted an inscription. I didn't know any of his stats so I asked him if he could add whatever stat he was most proud of and to have free rein with it.
  • Options
    That Willie Brown is just awesome and wow,Jack Ham looks old.
  • Options

<< <i>That Willie Brown is just awesome and wow,Jack Ham looks old. >>

I will say that's definitely true, John. My Willie Brown signed RC is way off center. It's an expensive card. Did you crack a centered PSA 5?
  • Options
    - 1972 Topps hof'er Roger Staubach
    - 1957 Topps hof'er Pierre Pilote
    - logo puck hof'er Pierre Pilote
    - 1958 Topps hof'er Sonny Jurgensen

Here are some pics from the Nationals on Friday. I was very anxious to see how my Staubach was going to turn out. I saw a few footballs that he signed from people coming out of the autograph line and they looked pretty crappy. I was relieved to see that my card turned out really nice.

I have been searching eBay to find a Jurgensen rc to get signed the next time he did a show. I was excited to find a dealer had one already signed. After a little negotiation I was able to pick it up for $60. I thought this was a decent price considering he charged around $80 at CSA last month just for his signature. It's not the best looking card but he doesn't do many signings and I know he is getting up there in age.
  • Options
    Another round of winners. Good stuff.

Mike
  • Options
    Man ... you guys are really putting me to shame ... another round of winners John!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That is still a great Staubach. His signature is getting shortened up big time. Look at some of his certifieds like the 1999 Epic Signature. You could read the "Stau" and the Roger was more clear. His signature used to be great. Somewhere after 1999 he went to a shorter less attractive signature. Still on his 1972 is a dynamite card. Sonny J's 1958 rookie for $60, you got a steal at that price. Pierre Pilote is also awesome. How was Staubach in person?
  • Options
    Staubach was quite and didn't say much. However, I took a "Ring of Honor" photo for another board member and he added his HOF inscription free of charge, which I thought was pretty cool of him.
  • Options
    That is pretty good. $130 is still pretty steep.
  • Options
    - 1959 Topps Hof'er Jim Taylor
    - 1972 Topps Hof'er John Riggins
    - 1976 Topps hof'er Randy White
    - (2) 1951 Parkie hof'er Bill Gadsby
    - Logo puck Bill Gadsby
    - 1967 Topps AL ROY Stan Bahnsen
    - 1986 Fleer Orlando Woolridge
    - 16x20 Team photo Anti Niemi

Here is my loot from Saturday at the Nationals. I have quite the story to go along with my 59 Jim Taylor. As most of you know, this is not his picture on his rookie card. He is known to not sign, or only sign the back of this card since it is not his picture. As I was standing waiting to here my number called, I heard from people coming out that he was refusing to sign his rc. One guy had a stack of 10 cards that he refused to sign.

I figured I had nothing to loose, besides time, so I ventured into his line. as soon as I reached the table he saw my card, and before I could even say hello he said, "I won't sign that, it isn't me." I tried reasoning with him and even pulled out the PSA registry to show him that I needed that card for my set, as well as the two other cards I had for other board members. He told me that it was an error card and he has turned down atleast 15 people with the same card and wasn't ever going to sign it unless I wanted the back signed, since they are his stats. He then began to get pretty angry and annoyed and reached for the next persons item in line.

Thankfully I had luck on my side, and Taylor's wife over heard what was going on. She stepped in and said "Jim, just sign the guys card for him since they are your stats and just wright Error card on it" He then told here he won't sign the card. His wife, who seems extremely nice, said "this poor guy has been standing in line all this time, and came to the show to see you" Taylor then grabbed my cards, which included two other board members cards, signed them, and literally threw them back at me and said "Here you go, get out of here," and mumbled some unkind words under his breath.

After I gathered the cards up and left the line, I kind of just stood there in shock for a few seconds. I completely understand his point of view but he was kind of a jerk how he handled it. I was never rude or pushy to him and said please and thank you on more than one occasion. Even when I tried to plead my case with him I tried to be very respectful. I was just shocked how he reacted to the whole situation. I am curious to see if anyone else got their rc signed by him. Besides this, I had a great time at the show today and everything went smooth and all my autos turned out really nice.