Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 1957 Topps Hof'er Bill Russell
    -1968 Topps Hof'er Johnny Bench
    - 1962 Topps Hof'er Lou Brock
    - 1960 Topps Hof'er Forest Gregg
    - 1976 Topps Hof'er Jack Lambert

It has been a long weekend, I attended the SunTimes show here in Chicago. The autograph pavilion was absolutely packed. I was able to knock off, and or, upgrade a bunch of HOF'ers for my signed hof rc collection. I will update my thread over the next week with everything I got signed at the show. Here are just a few to start, I just don't have the energy to scan everything tonight. I was pretty excited to add a Bill Russell rc to my collection. It was really cool to finally meet him and shake his hand.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Russ, John!!! I'm only missing Russ and KC Jones for my Celtics Retired Number Rookie set but that card and signature are too rich for my blood. Loosk like you found the perfect card to do it with. Hope you were all in for less than $600.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great cards John,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Those look great John!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    You're lucky to have gotten Gregg now, as sadly he probably won't be signing autographs for much longer.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME additions John!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards. I love the Lambert.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    your russell looks great! cannot wait to see mine! and thanks so much!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    - 1982 Topps hof'er Lawrence Taylor
    -1982 Panini hof'er Larry Holmes
    - 1974 Topps Bill Madlock
    - Mini helmet hof'er Mel renfro
    - 16x20 hawks photo (Tony Esposito) The photo is now finished and will go off to the framer.
    - 1980-81 Boston Celtics Media Guide Robert Parish, Chris Ford (TTM)
    - 1989 Score future hof'er Dermontti Dawson (ttm)
    - 1963 Topps hof'er Deacon Jones (private signing)
    -1989 Score hof'er Rod Woodson (consignment)

Here is the rest of my haul from the SunTimes show plus a few others that I've got back in the mail from the past couple weeks.

• Options
    That Blackhawks picture will look great framed. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>That Blackhawks picture will look great framed. Congrats! >>

Thanks, I am excited to get this one framed. I think I might try and get Mikita to add his HOF inscription at the next paid signing he does. Hopefully he will be cool about adding his inscription on a previously signed photo. I know some players don't like to do that but I kind of feel the photo is incomplete without it, since everyone else added their inscription.
  • Options
    Floyd Mayweather jr. was in town today to do a paid signing at the Cubby Bear here in Chicago. I have been wanting to get a "rookie" card signed by him for a long time now. I figured this might be the only chance I would have to get my stuff signed since this was his first public signing, so I decided to pony up the $275 to get my card and glove signed.

After waiting around for an hour or so for the signing to start, the promoter of the signing announced that Mayweather would be refunding our ticket fees back to us as a holiday gift to his fans. Mayweather often catches a lot of flack for his extravagant and flamboyant lifestyle but it is really refreshing to see a star athlete appreciate his fans like this. I have probably attended close to a 100 paid signings over the years, and this is the first time I have ever seen a athlete do this. He probably refunded close to $20k in ticket sales out of his own pocket to give back to his fans.
  • Options
    I read on Twitter Wednesday that Frank Thomas would be doing a launch party for his Big Hurt Beer at a local bar here in Chicago. A SCN boardmember and I decided we would take a chance that he might be willing to sign some autographs since it wasn't heavily promoted. With the help of my brother, who is in town for Thanksgiving, I was able to get 3 three photos as well as a card signed. This was a great night, drinking beer, and hanging out with one of Chicago's greatest ball players. It was definitely a night I will never forget.

-(2) 16x20's
    -11x14
    - 1990 Topps rc

• Options
    Outstanding John! Between this and Big Hurt, it's been quite the week.
  • Options
    - 1978 Topps hof'er Paul Molitor (TTM 831 days!!)

I received my Molitor rc back TTM after a 2.5 year wait!! This is by far the longest wait I have had for a TTM success. I also picked up my Ernie Banks 16x20 and Scottie Pippen 11x14 from the framer. These will make a nice addition to the Frank Thomas jersey I got framed in my home office.

• Options
    Was the Molitor postmarked recently, or was it postmarked a long time ago and somehow found its way back to you?
  • Options
    who did you use for framing, they look great!
  • Options
    Is the Pippen a velvet type mat board? Great choice! It looks great! I have a Nellie Fox autograph matted in the same type of velvet mat board.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Molitor is AWESOME! ALWAYS GREAT to get a TTM back that you KNOW is never returning!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Was the Molitor postmarked recently, or was it postmarked a long time ago and somehow found its way back to you? >>

No, it was postmarked from last week. According to SCN he seemed to sign and return a bunch of TTM requests over the past couple of weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was the Molitor postmarked recently, or was it postmarked a long time ago and somehow found its way back to you? >>

No, it was postmarked from last week. According to SCN he seemed to sign and return a bunch of TTM requests over the past couple of weeks. >>

Maybe Molitor got an early visit from the Christmas Spirits that convinced him that he will have a better life if he fulfills all of his TTM requests.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No, it was postmarked from last week. According to SCN he seemed to sign and return a bunch of TTM requests over the past couple of weeks. >>

At what point to you right off the item that you will probably not get it back? Also if you don't mind me asking what is the most expensive item that was never returned from doing this?
  • Options
    Sweet Banks and Pippen!! Also I just got back my Molitor signed rc a month ago after waiting 2 years for it!
  • Options
    - 1987 Pan Am Team USA (red) Frank Thomas (IP)
    - 1986 Fleer hof'er Chris Mullin (ttm)
    - 2011 Panini hof'er Ed Sabol (ttm)
    - 1969 Topps Don Nelson (SCN purchase)

The Big Hurt did another free signing at a local liquor store here in Chicago last weekend and got my red 1987 Pan Am team USA card signed. I also got back my Chris Mullin rc ttm which I was very excited about. I sent it last season and had figured it was as good as gone.
  • Options
    Thomas did another liquor store appearance today promoting his beer. I got there an 1.5 hours early and was # 92 in line. It took over 2 hours for him to sign for the first 100 people in line. I would imagine that he would have had to stay for another 2-3 hours past the scheduled time to sign for everyone that were still in line when I left. I was able to find some help from some people that weren't getting outside memorabilia signed and got a couple extra cards signed for my RC collection.
    - 1987 USA blue
    - 1990 Bowman Tiffany
    - 1988 Cape Cod #14
    - 1988 Cape Cod #126

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    You are doing awesome with The Big Hurt!!

Nice additions
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    LOVE the Orleans Cardinals cards! That's my team! My family stayed in Orleans from about 87-94 for two weeks every summer. I definitely saw Frank play there. For some weird reason I read that they changed their name to the Firebirds recently. We always went to 2-3 games/summer. Cape league baseball is the best!
  • Options
    I went to the one in Plainfield and it was a nightmare. Got there at 5:30p and was about 250th in line. I didn't get out until a little after 9:00p. He was only supposed to sign until 8:00p and when we left there was still about 50 people in line, so I don't think he got out until 10:00-10:30p. I thought it was because he was talking to people (which is fine), but when I got closer I was able to find out why. When you got up there if you bought beer, he would sign each can. So there were multple people buying a case of beer, so he would sit there and sign all 24 cans. I saw a few people buy two cases and even one person buy three...Still very cool to meet him, he's a great guy!
  • Options
    - 16x20 Derrick rose
    - 11x14 Rip Hamilton
    - 1969 Topps Bob Love
    - 16x20 & Panoramic jonathan toews
    - Panoramic & 2003 UD Patrick Sharp
    - Panormaic Bryan Bickell & Stan Bowman (Hawks GM/Scotty Bowman's son)
    - 1965 Topps Gerry Cheevers (THANKS initialD!!)
    - 1982 Topps Bob Bonner (SCN signing)
    - 1984 Topps Pat LaFontaine (TTM 384 days)

The Bulls had an autograph session tonight at the United Center for season ticket holders and the Hawks had a similar event a couple weeks ago at Navy Pier. I have a buddy that has season tickets to both the Bulls and the Hawks and doesn't collect autographs so he gave me his ticket for both events. Both events were similar and required a crazy mad dash to get a signature by both Rose and Toews as soon as the doors opened. If you didn't get in line for them within the first few minutes of them opening the doors you weren't getting a signature since they cut off the lines very quickly.

At the Bulls event I was able to get an auto from Rose, Hamilton, and Love. At the Hawks event I got 2 Toews (with some help), 2 Sharps, a Bickell, and Stan Bowman.

I also want to give a big thank you to Bill (intialD) for getting a my rc signed by Gerry Cheevers at a signing in MA.
  • Options
    I LOVE the long Chicago Blackhawks picture!
  • Options
    - 20x30 Derrick Rose (IP)
    - 1962 Post hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - 1985 Topps Mark McGwire
    - 1991 Topps Traded Ivan Rodriguez
    - 2006 Topps Prince Fielder
    - 1982 Topps hof'er Ronnie Lott
    - 1996 UD Lisa Fernandez
    - 2007 Topps Ubaldo Jimenez
    - 1996 SP Jonathan Ogden
    -1982 Topps Dave Stewart
    - 2000 Topps Adrian Gonzalez

I finally had some time to sit down tonight and update some of my Scans. The Bulls had an event last week and I got a 20x30 photo signed by Rose. Ditka did another one of his radio shows from his restaurant, I got a 62 Post rc signed by Da Coach. I also picked up a couple more photos from the framer today. The rest of the cards were signed over the past 6 months by my buddy and SCN board member, who helps me out on the west coast. Thanks Jes you are the man!!
  • Options
    - 1986 fleer hof'er Dominique Wilkins
    - 11x14 photo & hat Tom Glavine
    - 20x30 Bears photo Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman

The Atlanta Hawks were in town today to play the Bulls. The hotel in which the team was staying was only a few minutes from my work so I decided to try and see if I could get my Wilkins rc signed for my HOF rc & 1986 Fleer set before they left for the game. It was a pretty cold day today here in Chicago, but thankfully I didn't have to wait long for the team to leave for the stadium. I got my Wilkins rc signed as well as a 11x14 photo of Josh Smith. I would have also liked to get T-mac, but he declined to sign, and Joe Johnson who jumped in a cab before I could ask him for an autograph.

When I got home I was cleaning up my office and noticed that I hadn't added a few pics for some other projects I was working on. The first was a Glavine photo and hat that I got signed a few months back at an event out here in Chicago. I am thinking about getting the two items framed together in a shadow box since they both include his 305 wins inscription. The second item I found was a 20x30 Bears photo that I got signed by Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman over the summer. I shouldn't have a problem getting Urlacher on it since he does a couple of paid signings every year. The rest of the players might be difficult getting to sign since they no longer play for the Bears.
  • Options
    John, I love that Glavine piece. I have always liked him. Congrats on the recent success !
  • Options
    very nice Bears photo... I would just get Urlacher and call it done. Not sure the rest of the guys are worth it - you'll have the big three pro bowl players once you get Brian.
  • Options
    -20x30 Brian Urlacher
    - 20x30 Nathan Vasher

It was kind of ironic that I just posted this project that I had been working on just a few days ago. Soon after posting the pic I found out that both Urlacher and Vasher were doing an appearance for some ex-Bear's radio show/podcasts this weekend at a couple local bars. I was pretty excited to add Urlacher to the pic since this was the first time I have seen him sign for free in the past three years. I really thought I was going to have to fork over the $100 and get him at a show.
  • Options
    Awesome photo! I really love your additions, they're always great. Where do you get you athlete appearance information? I'm in the Chicago area also and use CSAC, but alot of the athletes you meet never appear on that site. Just wondering if there is another webiste with this information?
  • Options
    Nice job getting BU - that's a score since he is not worth what he charges at shows. Not even a HOF'er and still comands prices higher than many greats!
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate everyone comments. It is hard to believe that I started this thread two years ago. It is incredible how fast time goes by as you get older.

RMac, I use a number of tools to get my info. Twitter and Facebook are great resources for getting info. Websites like CSAC, SCN, Sportsgraphing.com, and signingshotline.com are a must have. The most important thing is to try establish a network with other local collectors in which you can share info/tips with. I also have a very flexible work schedule which really helps too. A lot the tips I get are usually the same day of the event or the night prior, which can sometimes make it very difficult working it around work & family.
  • Options
    - 1971 Topps Scoring Leaders Bobby Orr (private signing)
    - 1961 Parkhurst hof'er Dave Keon (ttm)
    - 1978 Topps Burger King Jack Morris (private signing)

I want to give Mike (VitoCo) a huge thank you for working out a deal to get out cards signed by Bobby Orr. This is definitely one of my favorite multi signed cards in my collection.
    imagelink
  • Options
    love the scoring leaders card... I've started many of these types of projects now that I'm running out of HOF baseball players for my collection.
  • Options
    - 1989 Score hof'er Bruce Matthews
    - 1990 UD hof'er ED Belfour
    - mini hof'er Dan Fouts (ttm)

Here are a few new additions from the past couple of weeks. I also picked up a few D. Rose items from the framer. I was really happy how nice the 20x30 turned out. The photo I took of it turned out a little dark but it looks awesome in person. I have a few more things I need to get framed and then I will start to hang them all after I paint my home office.
  • Options
    Dang those Rose pieces look great! I really like that Bruce Matthews graph as well.
  • Options
    Thanks Matt, I have never been a huge collector of signed photos but it has definitely been fun getting these signed in person. The popularity of D. Rose in Chicago right now, reminds me of the early days of Jordan back in the late 80's when I was a kid.
  • Options
    I attended Sox Fest this weekend with a couple of buddies. It was a fun time and nice to get away for a couple of days. Here is my haul from the weekend.

Paul Konerko 3/3: authentic replica jersey, Big Stick, 16x20
    Minnie Minoso 4/4 : ROMLB x2, 11x14, 8x10
    Alexei Ramirez 5/5: ROMLB, 11x14, RC x3
    Robin Ventura 1/1: ROMLB
    A.J. Pierzynski 1/1 : 16x20 WS team photo
    Joe Crede 1/1: 16x20 WS team photo
    Harold Baines 2/2: ROMLB. 11x14
    Adam Dunn 1/1 : RC 1999 Bowman Chrome Refractor
    Jake Peavy 1/1: RC 2001 Topps Chrome
    Gordon Beckham 1/1:2009 Topps Chrome Refractor
    Dayan Viciedo 1/1: 11x14
    Addison Reed 1/1: RC 2010 Bowman Chrome
    John Danks 1/1: RC 2003 UD
    Chris Sale 1/1: RC 2010 Bowman Chrome
    Brent Morel 1/1: RC 2008 Bowman Chrome Refractor
    Tyler Flowers 1/1: RC 2009 Bowman Chrome
    Gavin Floyd 1/1: RC 2001 UD
    Jesse Crain 1/1: RC 2002 UD
    Philip Humber 1/1: RC 2005 Bowman Heritage
    Ken “Hawk” Harrelson 1/1: 8x10
    Chris Widger 1/1: RC 2003 Topps Gold
    Bill Melton 1/1: RC 1969 Topps
    Ed Farmer 1/1: RC 1972 Topps
    Darrin Jackson 1/1: RC 1988 Fleer Update Glossy
  • Options
    - 20x30 photo hof'ers Dennis Savard & Bobby Hull
    - 20x30 photo Chris Harris

I finally added Dennis Savard to one of my blue line photos! Now I just need to get Toews and Kane to sign it and it will be off to the framer. A few weeks ago I also added Chris Harris on my Bears photo when he was a guest on a webcast broadcasted from a local restaurant.
  • Options
    Blue Line photo looks great, John! Are Kane/Toews easy enough to get?
  • Options
    nice hawks photo... let me know if you see Toews and Kane and I have hawks project I'm going to start.
  • Options
    - x3 Jonathan Toews (20x30 blue line photo, 20x30, SI)
    - x3 Patrick Kane (20x30 blue line photo, 16x20, panoramic)
    - x1 Brent Seabrook panoramic

I attended the Chicago Auto Show today with some friends. A few of the Hawks were there today signing autographs. With the help of my buddies, I was able to put a big dent into my Blackhawk's projects. I am thrilled to complete my "Blue Line Photo." It is definitely one of my favorite pieces in my collection.
  • Options
    I'll toast to projects finished!!!! image

Doesn't happen often for me but it's really satisfying when it does!! Nice job John!
  • Options
    Great hawks stuff... wish I had the patience to wait in line.