Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    The "F&%k Face" Ripken auto is priceless!
  • Options
    I got my 1993 SP Willie Roaf back today. It took about 70 days.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 1985 Topps hof'er Mike Munchak
    - 1968 OPC hof'er Bernie Parent (TTM)
    - 1973 Topps hof'er Art Shell

I want to give a huge thank you to Bill (initialD). I posted a thread on SCN that I was looking to buy some signed football hof rc's for my set. One of the cards I needed for my set was a Munchak rc. Bill PM'ed me stating that he had an extra one that he just got signed, and was going to send it to me. I offered to pay him for it, but he refused to except payment for it. Bill and I have been helping each other out with our collections over the past 4-5 years and he is truly one of the most generous people I know. Thank you Bill!!!

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Bill. It's so annoying how he does so many nice things for people image
  • Options
    Great cards. How much does Bernie Parent charge ttm. Nice Art Shell, not an easy one to get.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Art Shell, not an easy one to get. >>

particularly the past four years or so

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Great cards. How much does Bernie Parent charge ttm. Nice Art Shell, not an easy one to get. >>

Parent charges $25 TTM.
  • Options
    - 1974 Fleer HOF Dan Fortmann
    - 1974 Fleer HOF Lamar Hunt
    - 1975 Fleer HOF Ed Healey
    - 1985 football Immortal HOF Morris "Red" Badgro

Boardmember Jmhockey23 is in the process of selling off his signed HOF rc football collection. I purchased several of his cards from his collection for my registry set. I will be scanning them and adding them to my set over the next week or so. Most of the cards I picked up are either deceased players/coaches or guys who don't sign frequently at shows.
  • Options
    - 1972 Topps hof'er Gene Upshaw
    - 1948 Leaf hof'er Bill Dudley
    -1994 Ted Williams Co. hof'er John Madden
    - 1971 Topps Willie Lanier

Here are a few more HOF rc's I purchased from Jmhockey23's collection.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    That Bill Dudley card is sweet. Nice pickups.
  • Options
    - 1948 Bowman Pete Pihos
    - 1957 Topps Jack Butler
    - 1984 Topps Darrell Green
    - 1984 Topps Howie Long

Here are the rest of the cards that I purchased from Jmhockey23 that aren't curently at PSA for the group sub.

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    You beat me out on the Pihos by 30 seconds...lol. Very nice additions - congrats!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    - 1990 Best Birmingham Barons Frank Thomas
    - 1990 Bowman Frank Thomas
    - 1990 Procards Frank Thomas
    - 1954 Bowman hof'er Doug Atkins
    - 1972 Topps hof'er Phil Jackson
    - 1989 Proset hof'er Chuck Noll

Frank did another beer signing yesterday. He was pretty strict with only signing 1 per this time. Thankfully I had my wife and daughter to help get a couple more I needed for my set. Now I just need to get a 87 Auburn Tigers, 90 Coca-Cola, 90 Donn Jennings Thomas/Conine, 90 OPC, and Topps NNOF. I currently have 21 of his 26 rookie/minor league cards signed.

I also picked up a few other cards through trade/purchase from some fellow collectors. I am pretty pumped to finally add Phil Jackson to my collection even though the card is in bad shape.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    You and Frank ought to be friends by now! I think he must call you up and tell you where he is going to be at image
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Let's Hope Bobby (bporter26) doesn't see that Noll Auto. Well done.

• Options
    - 1994 Topps Paul Konerko
    - 1994 Flair HOF'er Nancy Lieberman-Cline (TTM)

I finally added a Konerko rc to my collection. He is my second all time favorite player right behind Frank Thomas. Even though it's a long shot, I would love to see him hit 500 hr's and get into the HOF one day.
  • Options
    I think Paul Konerko definitely gets 500 home runs. He has 408 and is only 36. The guy is very underrated.
  • Options
    - 2003 Netpro #11 Roger Federer
    - 2003 Netpro #90 Roger Federer

I haven't had time to do many TTM's as of lately but I was excited to get these two back. I tried sending him a TTM request a couple years ago and got a pre-print return so I think I might have just got lucky with these and timed it right, since he was just returning home from the French Open. Whether I got lucky, or timed it right, I am really happy to add a 16x grand slam champion to my collection.

• Options
    - 1993 Fleer Ultra Michael Strahan
    - 1989 Score Michael Irvin
    - 1999 Topps Chrome Jevon Kearse
    - (x2) 1995 SP Terrell Davis
    - (x2) 1995 SP Trent Dilfer

I attended the filming of the 2013 Madden Pigskin Challenge here in Chicago. I was pretty pumped up going into the event since the roster was stacked with some big named HOF'ers and I had field access last night. Unfortunately it was very difficult to get autographs, and the vast majority of the players weren't touching a pen or gave a very rushed signature when they did sign.
  • Options
    Miss watching Irvin play, sweet Auto!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    - 1957 Topps hof'er John Bucyk

I got this Bucyk rc back today from a private signing on SCN.
  • Options
    - 1972 Topps Rayfield Wright
    - 1989 Score Deion Sanders
    - 1969 Topps Chet Walker

Here are a few highlights so far from the show this weekend.
  • Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 301 ✭✭
    Looks like you found a Rayfield Wright RC, congrats, on the new additions.
  • Options
    Wow - Rayfield Wright's signature is starting to look shaky. How did he seem when you met him?

BTW - the Wright rc is in great condition. I looked for a month on E-Bay before I was able to find a decent one.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Nice Rayfield Wright. I am waiting on a Chet Walker from the same show. Rayfield Wright must have some health problems.
  • Options
    Rayfield had a very difficult time signing my card. Without exaggeration it took him a good 45 seconds to sign it. It was actually a little uncomfortable to watch him struggle signing his name. However, he was a very nice guy and seemed to enjoy interacting with the fans.
  • Options
    - 1984 Topps John Elway
    - 1988 Topps Chris Doleman
    - 1998 Topps Chrome Peyton Manning

- Here is my haul from todays show. I already have a 84 Elway that I got signed on consignment at a golf tourney last year. Honestly, I wasn't sure it was authentic and it has been bugging me, so I wanted to get one that I know is legit. I was very hesitant to get a Doleman signed. I hate spending that kind of money getting a $0.50 card signed but I haven't seen one pop up on ebay since he has been in the HOF and the PSA registry set has got me addicted.

Last and definitely not least is a Peyton Manning rc. I would have loved to get a 98 SP signed but the card is way out of my budget right now. I figured this would be second best and I really wanted to get him IP. I also opted to get it JSA authenticated since the hologram doesn't effect the grade of the card. I normally hate getting a hologram/sticker on the back of my cards but with PSA having such a difficult time authenticating Manning cards I didn't want to take the chance of not getting it holdered. I also took a video of him signing it so hopefully there will be no confusion once I send the card in for grading to PSA.
  • Options
    Sweet additions - I especially like the Manning. You have a nice haul from the show. Did you buy anything from any of the dealers?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Rayfield Wright. I am waiting on a Chet Walker from the same show. Rayfield Wright must have some health problems. >>

I talked to his assistant (nice lady) several months ago and she got 5 cards signed for me for a $100 donation to Mr. Wright's charity. She said that Mr. Wright has had health problems recently - although she didn't specify what his ailment. Also, she said that Mr. Wright won't be signing at many shows in the future. I'm actually surprised that he is back in the show circuit right now. It might not last long.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    You should have let me know you were going this weekend.
    What is going on with PSA & Manning? I took a card last year to their booth & they rejected it even though I got it in person. Doesn't make sense. Deion should have taken his time & given out nicer signatures too. Could have been a little friendlier to the fans as well I here.
  • Options
    Rayfield Wright signatures reminds of the shaky Red Grange signatures you see on the swell cards. That is a shame. Should have got a 1972 signed also. He is only 66.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG John ... very nice additions!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    - 1981 Topps Art Monk
    - 1995 Enor Bud Grant
    -1964 Philly Jimmy Johnson
    - 1966 Philly Gene Hickerson
    - 1956 Topps Stan Jones

Here are a few new additions for my football HOF rc collection that I purchased from JMhockey. I am really happy to add the Art Monk to my collection since he will no longer sign his rookie card and they are fairly difficult to come across.
  • Options
    That Art Monk rookie is awesome. Monk's rookie signed is very rare a lot rarer than Hickerson even. Great.
  • Options
    I got my 1969 Topps Bill Bradley today signed 14 months after sending it out. Thank You. Sent it out the first week of May 2011. I have had some good successes in 2012 ttm but this tops them all especially since I collect the 1969s that makes 73 /98 for me.
  • Options
    - 1936 Goudey Bobby Doerr (TTM)
    - 2002 Topps Chrome Joe Johnson (TTM)
    - 1993 Bazooka Todd Helton (eBay)

A few cool TTM returns came in the mail today. I finally got around to pick up a Bobby Doerr rc to send out TTM. This is now the oldest signed HOF rc in my collection. I also got my Joe Johnson rc back that I sent out almost a year ago. I had totally forgot that I sent him a card, so it was a pleasant surprise to get this one back. For some reason the card didn't scan well and it looks much better in person.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Great looking Bazooka Helton John image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    You won the Helton. I bid $40.02 and you outbid . I should have gone higher. Never saw another Bazooka signed by him.
  • Options

<< <i>You won the Helton. I bid $40.02 and you outbid . I should have gone higher. Never saw another Bazooka signed by him. >>

Don't feel bad, you would have had to bid a lot higher to win it. I really wanted that card and had my max bid set at $71.55. It is a pretty difficult card to find signed. I believe they only made 500 Bazooka sets and Daddymc's was the first one I have seen signed. I was very surprised that it didn't sell for higher.
  • Options
    I probably would not have gone much higher. I was busy trying to win the 1969 Baylor. $70 is a way more than I wanted to go. It is the best Helton rookie never seen another Bazooka signed.
  • Options
    - 1977 Touchdown Club Bill Willis
    - 1989 Pro Set Don Shula
    - 1960 Fleer Sid Gillman
    - 1963 Fleer Lance Alworth

I have been trying to sell off a lot of my unopened wax collection to focus on my signed HOF rc collection. I sold a substantial portion of my wax collection to BBCE and was able to pick up these from eBay with some of the funds from the sale.
  • Options
    - 1977 Topps hof'er Mike Webster (eBay)
    - 1989 Pro Set hof'er Marv Levy (eBay)
    - 1991 Pro Set hof'er Tex Schramm (eBay)
    - 1998 SI for Kids hof'er Se Ri Pak (TTM)
    - 1994 UD hof'er Katrina Mc Clain (TTM)

• Options
    - 1961 Topps hof'er Ron Santo
    - 1969 Topps Mel Counts (TTM)
    - 1969 Topps Keith Erickson (TTM)

I have been looking for a signed Santo RC since he was inducted into the HOF. I finally found one that fit into my budget. The corners are dinged up pretty good but the centering and surface are fantastic. I also got around to sending out a few more 69's TTM for my set. I now have 69 of the 98 cards signed in the set.
  • Options
    - OMLB Reggie Jackson (ttm+$40)
    -OMLB Wade Boggs (ttm+$20)
    - 1982 Topps Cal Ripken jr. (private signing)
    - 1995 SP Derrick Brooks (TTM)
    - 1986 Fleer Rickey Green,Clark Kellogg,Mike Gminski,Walter Davis (ttm)

I've had some nice returns come in the mail the past couple of weeks. I was really excited to see how nice a signature I got back from Jackson & Boggs with a relatively small donation to their charity.

• Options
    John ... AWESOME results !
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    - Nick Buoniconti 1963 Fleer
    - 1957 Topps Bob Pettit
    - 1993 SP Jerome Bettis
    - 2004 SP Jared Allen
    - 2003 Topps Chrome Kevin Youkilis
    - 1976 Panini Leon Spinks

I have been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to update my scans. Here are some of the recent rc's I have got signed through consignments and signings over the past few weeks. I have a few more to add and will update them over the next week or so.
  • Options
    - 1991 Starline Martin Sheen (ttm)
    - 1973 OPC Bill Barber (ttm)
    - 2010 Topps Chrome Rob Gronkowski (ebay)

Besides focusing on HOF rc's I am a big fan of collecting odd ball rc's of celebrities and public figures. I got a neat TTM return today from Martin Sheen. For those of you who don't know Martin Sheen is actually his stage name. I thought it was pretty cool that he also signed his birth name "Ramon Estevez" on the back of the card.

• Options
    John ... very nice returns the past two days. The Martin Sheen autos are pretty kewl!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    That Gronk looks like a familiar card! Good stuff as always John! image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Great Martin Sheen!

Martin Sheen was on Charlie's new show last night playing Charlie's character's father. They made references to other characters he had played in the past, it was funny.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro