Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... Amazing, as usual. GREAT story about Taylor ... why do these guys have to act like jerks when you are PAYING THEM for their sig?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I am curious to see if anyone else got their rc signed by him. >>

John,

It wasn't signed today, but here's my signed Taylor rookie card. I've seen a few with different things on the front such as "not me", "error card", etc.

Another nice crop of sigs you got today. If Tyson won't do my inscription tomorrow, please whip him for me, LOL.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Very Nice Randy White. John Riggins is probably my least favorite player of all-time. Jim Taylor on his but not his picture kind of neat.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Amazing Taylor story. That's NUTS! Can't thank you enough for getting my card signed, John!!!!
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 1985/86 Panini Mike Tyson
    - 1986 Question of Sport Mike Tyson
    - 1970 Topps hof'er Calvin Murphy

I had a great time at the show and you could tell that all the hype throughout the week was for Tyson's appearance on Sunday. To be honest I was a little nervous about the quality of the signature he was going to give since they had sold over 500 auto tickets for him plus all the dealer auto's in the back. Thankfully I ordered one of my tickets the first day they announced it so one of my tickets was ticket number 8 which got me in line in the first group of signers right behind the 30-40 Super VIP ticket holders.

When he walked in there was hysteria with everyone wanting to catch a look at Mike. He arrived with his posy and security of atleast 10 people. They wouldn't even let you take a picture of him from the autograph line. I saw his security actually kick someone out of line and had to go to the back of the line just for trying to take a pic of him. I was able to get one photo of him from the side when I was leaving the line.

In general I thought it was a cool experience to meet him and was happy with how everything turned out. I wish I could have got a few more pics of him signing my items but there was absolutely no chance of that. Oh well, I guess I can't complain considering all of my cards (2 of mine + 3 of Mike's) turned out well and didn't get smeared and he didn't mess up the inscription for Mike, which I was a little worried about.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Awesome stuff John, Great meeting you on Thursday.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the location of the autos too, great job
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    JSWIETON is THE MAN

Thanks John,

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>JSWIETON is THE MAN

Thanks John,

Mike >>

+1
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys, I am happy to help when I can. It was really cool to finally meet Matt (MBMiller25) and Kirk (mrmint23) at the show after all of these years of communicating on the board. It is always fun to meet board members and put a face with a name.

I plan on sending in the Tyson cards into PSA asap. I would have dropped them off at the show but it was the end of the day on Sunday and they were already packing things up to leave and I didn't want to risk having them get misplaced or lost. I 'm just not sure if I want to get them in a red flip holder or a blue flip with auto grade. 95% of my collection is in a red holder and I like the idea that they authenticate the card and the auto but with the auto's as nice as they are I think they would get a PSA 10 in a blue holder. What do you think? I am pretty certain that PSA doesn't grade the Question of Sport card so they would only be authenticating the Panini card.
  • Options
    - ROMLB hof'er Al Kaline
    - ROMLB hof'er Paul Molitor
    - 1973 Topps hof'er Dan Dierdorf
    - 1969 Topps hof'er Walt Bellamy
    - 1969 Topps Dick Van Arsdale
    - 1969 Topps Jeff Mullins
    - 1986 Fleer Calvin Natt

Now that the Nationals is over I had some time to update some of my scans from the past couple of weeks. A SCN member got a couple balls signed for me. I also traded one of my Moses Malone rc's for this Dierdorf rc. I now have 106 signed football HOF rc's. A few more 69's came in the mail over the past couple of weeks. I now have 44 signed cards from the 69 set. Even though I have most of the hof rc's I have a feeling that the second half of the set is going to be a lot more difficult to get done.
  • Options
    Jesus man, your an animal! Nice Kaline ball
  • Options
    - Jack Nicklaus 1981 Donruss (IP)
    - Jack Nicklau 1981 Donruss Stat Leader (IP)
    - golf ball David Fehrety (IP)

I need to give Mike (VitoCo) a huge thank you for a tip that he sent me this mourning. David Fehrety Tweeted today that he was going to be doing an appearance today at a golf club 30 minutes from my house and on the way home from work. He also mentioned in the Tweet that Jack Nicklaus was also going to be there. Mike gave me the heads up early this afternoon about it. Thankfully I had these two cards in my binder that I keep in my car. I figured I had nothing to loose and stopped by the course on the way home from work. I didn't know what time the event was taking place but I figured I had nothing to loose.

As I got there I noticed that the event was just concluding and I saw Jack signing autos for a few people. I walked right up to him and he was happy to sign my two cards!! Luck was really on my side today. I really thought I was never going to be able to get the stat leader card signed that I needed for my set. The stat leader seems like a difficult card to find signed. Jack was seriously the nicest guy and took time to talk with everyone there. I also got Fehrety on a ball. That was all that I could scrounge up for him out of the back of my car. Once again, thank you so much for the tip Mike, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    John, that's AWESOME! I am very jealous of those Nicklaus Auto's. Congrats!

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    What a "stroke" of luck. Congrats!
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Incredible Auto's and stories. Love reading them and can't wait to see what's next!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    NICE!!
  • Options
    Sorry John ... those Jack sigs look like autopen. Sure he didn't use one to sign them? LOL Seriously, what a GREAT day for you! CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭

<< <i>I received Bart Starr's TTM back today. I sent him a semi-deflated ball in a large bubble mailer. I figured he wouldn't want the hassle with dealing with a box. He sent it back to me pumped up in a box with my SASE in the box stating that he didn't want the signature to get damaged. There was a note to call his assistant to reimburse them for the shipping. It is pretty cool that he actually cares that his fans are happy with his autograph. He could have very easily shoved the ball with wet ink into the envelope I sent him. I did donate $35 to his charity but it is still a fraction of what he usually charges at shows.
    image >>

That is a fantastic auto football. Hey my name is John so if you don't want it feel free to send it my way!!
  • Options
    very cool which golf course was he at?
  • Options

<< <i>very cool which golf course was he at? >>

Evanston country club in Skokie. It is a couple miles East of I294 on Dempster.
  • Options
    - 1951 Parkhurst hof'er Fern Flaman (ttm)
    - 1971 Topps Scoring Leaders hof'ers Johnny Bucyk & Phil Esposito
    - 1971 Topps Goal Leaders hof'ers Johnny Bucyk & Phil Esposito
    - 1969 Topps Jack Marin (ttm)
    - 16x20 2005 World Series photo Paul Konerko
    - 16x20 2005 World Series photo Mark Buehrle
    - 11x14 photo Mark Buehrle
    - 2000 Fleer Tradition Mark Buehrle

Here are some updates from the last few weeks. I am really happy how nice my Flaman rc turned out. He was kind enough to use the ball point pen I included with my card. I was able to start a couple NHL league leaders cards from a signing that a SCN member set up with Bucyk and than with help from SCN member got the two Espo's signed at the Frozen Pond's most recent signing. Over the past few weeks I was able to attend a couple WhiteSox signings and got my World Series photo signed by both Paul Konerko (paid signing) and Mark Buehrle(free signing).
  • Options
    - 1987 Topps hof'er Gary Zimmerman
    - Dan Hampton hof'er Jersey & Mini
    - Richard Dent hof'er Mini

I picked up the Zimmerman for my HOF rc set through a trade thanks to the help of a board member. Hampton and Dent did a free signing today and I got a China jersey and mini signed by Hampton and a mini signed by Dent.
  • Options
    - 1982 USFL hof'er Steve Young (GTSM)
    - 1965 Topps hof'er Fred Biletnikoff (GTSM)
    - 1967 Philly hof'er Dave Wilcox (TTM $25)
    - 1984 Topps hof'er John Elway (Lake Tahoe?????)

A pretty good week of returns this week. I got Young and Biletnikoff at the GTSM show with the help from a SCN member. It is pretty cool to see Young include his #8. I'm not sure if I have ever seen him do that before. I am also pretty pumped to get my Wilcox back. I have been holding off sending my card to him ttm since he is known to often personalize. I haven't seen him do a show in the past couple of years so I decided to take a chance TTM. I included a few extra bucks in the hopes that he wouldn't personalize it. The last return I got signed a couple of months ago at the Lake Tahoe celebrity golf tournament. I held off posting it until I got it authenticated by PSA. I think I might get a different one signed in the future the next time he does a show here in Chicago.
  • Options
    - Jersey hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - 16x20 hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - 1998 Press Pass Stealth Fussion Tony Stewart (IP)
    - die cast car Tony Stewart (IP)
    - 2003 Topps Galary (red tie blue backround) hof'er Lee MacPhail (ttm)
    - 2009 Topps Chrome Refractor, Donruss Gridiron, Topps Chrome Johnny Knox (IP)
    - 1965 Topps Luis Tiant (thanks to initialD!)

Its been a while since I last updated my thread. It has been very slow for TTM returns but I have been able to get a few nice items done at some local signings around town. I want to give Bill (initialD) a big THANK YOU for helping me get a Tiant rc signed at a celebrity golf event in MA a couple weeks ago.

• Options
    - 11x14 Barry Sanders (IP)
    - 16x20 Stan Mikita (IP)
    - 16x20, 11x14 Pierre Piolete
    - 16x20, 11x14, 1971 Topps, McFarlane Bobby Hull (IP)
    - (x2) 1986 Fleer, 11x14 Doc Rivers (IP)
    - 1975 Topps, 11x14 Rocky Bleier (IP)
    - (x2)1991 Star Pics Jim Calhoun (IP)
    - 1973 Topps Bob McAdoo (purchased from SCN member)
    - OMLB Nolan Ryan (TTM)
    - 1994 SI for Kids RC Lisa Leslie (TTM 381 days)
    - 1969 Topps Jerry West (TTM)

This has been a good week. I attended the Chicago HOF Sports awards dinner a couple nights ago. I was a little hesitant to go since the ticket was $125 and there are no guarantees who will sign and who won’t. The event had 4-5 Hof’ers attending but main reason I wanted to go was that Barry Sanders was being inducted.

I did pretty well at the event, besides for not being able to get Dave Casper, who refused to sign for anyone; I was able to get something signed by all the inductees. By the end of the night I was able to get 15 auto’s which I was very happy with. At first I thought it was going to be a bust getting Barry since he was with his PR rep/handler who was refusing to sign for anyone on behalf of Barry. Thankfully at the end of the night I was near the exit and was one of a couple people that got him to sign as he was leaving the event. The only thing he would sign that I had was an 11x14. I am not a fan of personalizations but I think it looks pretty cool and will probably get it framed for my home office. It was very obvious that Barry does not like the spotlight and he seemed kind of uncomfortable when dealing with fans and all the notoriety.

It was also a good week for TTM returns. I got back my OMLB from Nolan Ryan’s foundation with a beautiful signature and his personal hologram. It is amazing that a player of his caliber will sign autographs through his foundation for only $35. I also got back my 69 Topps TTM from Jerry West for my set as well as my Lisa Leslie RC after a 380 day wait.

• Options
    - 1966 Philly & football Gale Sayers (ip)
    - 1965 Philly & 11x14 Paul Warfield (ip)
    - Mini & 11x14 Willie Davis
    - (2) 1985 Topps & 12x18 1985 Bears photo Richard Dent
    - (2) 11x14 & 12x18 1985 Bears Photo Jim McMahon
    - authentic swingman jersey Derrik Rose

This has easily been the best two weeks of in person autograph collecting I've had since I got back into graphing. I attended a charity function for Gale Sayers and was able to get a couple items signed by each of the attendees. Jim MCMahon did a free signing at a local bar before the Bears game last weekend. The item I'm most excited about was the jersey I got signed by Derrik Rose. I got out of work a little early to attended the unveiling of new basketball court in Rose's home town in the south side of the city. I was lucky to be one of a few people that he signed for, as he was leaving the event, before being attacked by a mob of fans. I have been sitting on the jersey for over a year and a half waiting for an opprotunity to get it signed. I am thrilled to finally get it signed.
  • Options
    wow you really went to the South Side to get the Rose jersey done!
  • Options

<< <i>wow you really went to the South Side to get the Rose jersey done! >>

Jim Croce thought the South Side was "The baddest part of town". Anyway, congrats on all the new items. AMAZING.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Ya, it was in a sketchy park of town. I wouldn't have attended the event if it was at night. I knew I was a little out of place when I saw that one of Rose's posse was wearing a flak jacket on the outside of his shirt, no joke. In hind site, it probably wasn't the best idea going to it.
  • Options

<< <i>

Ya, it was in a sketchy park of town. I wouldn't have attended the event if it was at night. I knew I was a little out of place when I saw that one of Rose's posse was wearing a flak jacket on the outside of his shirt, no joke. In hind site, it probably wasn't the best idea going to it. >>

If anyone is interested in reading how bad the part of Chicago John visited for the auto check out the Chicago Suntimes they are doing a week long look @ D-Rose's old hood!

Suntimes Link
  • Options
    - 1988 Fleer hof'er John Stockton (ebay purchase)
    - 1991 Oklahoma State card hof'er Bob Kurland (ttm)
    - 1993 Action Packed hof'er Bob Kurland (ttm)
    - 1985 Topps hof'er Warren Moon (ttm 428 days)
    - (2) 2009 Panini Taj Gibson (IP)

I picked up this Stockton rc off of eBay a couple months ago. I didn't want to post it in my thread until I got it graded by PSA first. I also got my Moon rc back signed TTM after almost a year and a half wait.
  • Options
    You RAT! You're the one that bought that OK St Kurland card for a buck on eBay! My Paypal funds were frozen because of the Magic Johnson signing (I'm not buying stuff for myself with other people's money). Bummed out! HA! Nice additions, John.
  • Options
    - 1985 FB Immortals HOF'er Weeb Ewbank (ebay $11.00)
    - Mini helmet HOF'er Bob Lilly (ttm)
    - 12x18 1985 Bears photo- Steve McMichael, Keith Van Horne, Thomas Sanders
    - 16x20 Bears logo photo 9 various ex-Chicago Bears

I don't have anything exciting to post today. I was able to pick up a deceased FB HOF rc (Weeb Ewbank) with my eBay bucks for less then $11. I was very surprised that I won this card for so cheap.

I thought it was time to start an 85 Bears project. Unfortunately the photo does not include the whole team. However, I have decided to include anyone who was on the championship team on my photo. I have a feeling that space might become an issue on the photo very soon considering how large the players have been signing my photo. I also added several ex-players to an old project that I haven't got signed in a couple years.
  • Options
    That Bears logo piece is awesome
  • Options
    Frank Thomas (IP)
    - Authentic replica jersey
    - ROMLB
    - 11x14
    -1990 Topps
    -1990 Leaf

Today had to be in my top 5 best days for my in person autograph collection. It was widely announced here in Chicago that Frank Thomas would be at a local liquor store promoting his new line of "Big Hurt beer." It was advertised that he would not sign autographs and was there to pass out free samples and pose for pictures. I figured it was worth a shot that he might sign for a few people on the way out, so a couple of buddies and I stopped by the event. When we got there we were pretty shocked to see that the event was set up like a paid signing and he was sitting there with his pens in hand and signing everything people had for him. I initially had the two cards and the photo which he was happy to sign. I then took a short trip out to US Cellular field and picked up the jersey and OMLB outside the ballpark and went back to the event and got those signed too. I have wanted to get a jersey signed by Big Frank since I was a little kid and will definitely find its way to the framer sometime in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Yep, I did buy a 12 pack of his brew (24 OZ 7% Alc.)
  • Options
    5 first ballot HOFer autos for free? That's insane!!!
  • Options
    - 1965 Topps hof'er Gerry Cheevers (TTM)
    - 1994 Flair hof'er Carol "Blaze" Blazejowski (eBay)
    - 1969 Topps Jim Washington, Neal Walk, John Block, Clyde Lee (TTM)

• Options
    - 1986 Fleer hof'er Chris Mullin (CSA)
    - 1963 Topps hof'er Larry Wilson (CSA)
    - 1963 Topps hof'er Willie Wood (CSA)
    - 1964 Philly hof'er Willie Davis (TTM)
    - throwback mini, 12x18, football hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - 12x18 hof'er Dan Hampton (IP)

Thanks to the big help of a couple of SCN board members I got a few cards for my autographed HOF rc set signed at the CSA show last weekend. I also went to Ditkas's Restaurant last night for dinner and got a few items signed with a donation to his charity.

• Options
    Nice Ditka adds, very cool! If I may ask, how much of a donation does he ask for per autograph?

Thanks,
    R-Mac
  • Options
    Sometime he charges $20 per auto and sometimes he charges $20 for two depending on his mood. You are also allowed/encouraged to make multiple trips through the line too if you have several items. He signs during the commercial breaks during the live broadcast of his ESPN radio show, and as long as you keep paying, he is happy to keep signing. All of the proceeds go to his foundation.
  • Options
    Very nice Ditka. Was that at the Oakbrook Terrace restaurant or downtown? I've met him with my wife while having dinner at his downtown restaurant. He's usually just walking around upstairs and will stop to say hi.
  • Options
    - 1961 Fleer hof'er Jim Otto (ttm)
    - FS Bears Helmet hof'er Mike Singletary (private signing)

I finally finished my first major project. I got Mike Singletary on my Bears helmet at a local private signing a few weeks back. My helmet now has Butkus, Sayers, Ditka, Hampton, Dent, Singletary, and Urlacher. I also got back my Frank Thomas jersey from the framer today.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    John - Congrats on finishing your HOF Bears helmet and that Thomas jersey looks FANTASTIC framed!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    John ... nice additions. The jersey looks awesome.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    - 1986 Fleer Spud Webb (private signing)
    - 1969 Topps Dick Snyder (ttm)
    - 1981 Donruss Mike Reid (ttm)
    - 1962 Topps Bucks hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - Sports Illustrated hof'er Mike Ditka (IP)
    - mini helmet hof'er Len Dawson (consignment)
    - mini helmet hof'er Dick Butkus (ttm)
    - mini helmet Matt Forte (IP)

It's been a little while since I last updated my thread. I was pretty surprised to get such a nice looking signature from Butkus. I did include a small donation but he seems to be hit or miss TTM. I went to Ditkas restaurant for dinner tonight and got a SI and a cool insert 1962 rc signed by Da Coach. I also went to a local free Forte signing a few days back. It was a complete mad house, there had to be close to 700 people there.

• Options
    How did you know Ditka was going to be at the resturant? Was he signing or did you just happen to get lucky that night?
  • Options
    I knew he was going to be there. He does his ESPN radio show there every so often. Check his website, I believe there are dates of when he does his show from there. I have a couple more items I want to get signed. I will probably go once more this year if you want to go. He charges a $20 "donation" and signs during the comercial breaks of the radio show. Sometime he signs 1 auto and sometimes he'll sign 2. It all depends on his mood.