Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I went to my first paid public signing today in about 15 years. Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews signed at the local mall ($50). It was an absolute mad house. There were over 1000 people that showed up for the signing. Both Toews and Kane seemed like really nice guys. They were willing to take photo’s with the fans and they even allowed me to use my own pen for the signing. I would have offered to take peoples items with me but I was unsure if I was going to be able to make it do to some work conflicts.
  • Options
    Awesome, I'm a Hawks fan. LMK if you ever get bored with them.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, John. I'm hoping the Blackhawks do well in the SC Playoffs this year. Nice success!!
  • Options
    I got some nice returns in the mail today. The Yaz (PSA 5 crack out) was from a private signing done by Bud's in FL. The Roger craig (PSA 8 crack out) was a TTM return ($5). I was actually really shocked that he is willing to sign TTM for such a small fee. He even used the sharpie I included with my letter.
  • Options
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... two real nice looking autos! Keep it up and enjoy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Two very nice TTM were in my mailbox today. First, The George Blanda is amazing. He actually lives less than 5 minutes from my house. I wrote him a two paged hand written letter and included a $5 donation hoping that he might not personalize my card. Well, my efforts paid off huge!! He is notorious for personalizing his TTM's and with my rc he did not. He even included his HOF inscription and returned my check. This is easily one of my favorite returns. The second was equally as exciting to get back. I sent Danica this card back in October. I really thought that it was a goner 4 sure.
  • Options
    Blanda did the same thing to my rookie - blue over blue. You must have included money. I was slightly irked by it.
  • Options

<< <i>Blanda did the same thing to my rookie - blue over blue. You must have included money. I was slightly irked by it. >>

I am not really sure if a black marker would have looked any better where he signed it. It was probably the worst possible spot on the card to sign. I am much more thankful that it wasn't personalized.
  • Options
    John,

Once again two nice autos!

How long did it take to get back Blanda? I sent mine to him December 3, 2009.

PS Did you use the Forest Gate Circle addy?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>John,

Once again two nice autos!

How long did it take to get back Blanda? I sent mine to him December 3, 2009.

PS Did you use the Forest Gate Circle addy? >>

Thank you, I have been very fortunate to get some really nice returns lately. Ya, I used the Forest Gate addy. I have kind of been slacking with keeping track of the dates in which I shipped it. I think it took about 3 weeks. I did include a $5 check which he returned to me.
  • Options
    I had a huge day for TTM and IP returns today. I had 9 envelopes sitting in my mailbox!! I will post scans over the next couple of days. The first envelope I opened had my Tark ($20 donation) rc image.
  • Options

<< <i>I had a huge day for TTM and IP returns today. I had 9 envelopes sitting in my mailbox!! I will post scans over the next couple of days. The first envelope I opened had my Tark ($20 donation) rc image.
    >>

You teasing SOB!!!!
  • Options
    Ok, I scanned a couple of more for tonight. The Musial and Gibson were both signed at a private signing done by a SCN member. I am really happy how they both turned out. I would have liked to use a nicer looking Gibson card but it was all that the pocket book would allow right now. He is getting up there in age and I didn't want to take a chance of not being able to get him in the future. That is a pretty morbid thought, but it is the truth. The guy that got them signed also said that Stan unfortunately is in real bad health too.
  • Options
    Here are a few more from yesterday. I had some pretty sick TTM returns. The Jim Palmer was from the private signing. The two Duke Snider's were both obtained TTM. He has been RTS'ing most of his mail. For some reason he excepted mine. I did include a $20 donation if that made a difference. I also got my Batman RC returned and signed by Adam West for a $5 donation.
  • Options
    These three came in the mail over the past few days. The Patrick Roy was from a signing in Canada. My card was actually stuck in customs for over two and a half weeks. I was starting to think that is was lost or stolen while in customs. The Brock was from a private signing done by a SCN member and last but not least for tonight is, Dan Issel which I got through TTM ($5 donation). He even used and returned the Staedtler pen I included.
  • Options
    love the Lou Brock in the Cubs uniform!
  • Options
    I decided to take a risk and send it TTM with a $20 donation. It was probably a reckless move considering the price of the card. However, I am a firm believer in if there is no risk than there is no reward. This is easily my favorite TTM to get back. He even gave me his HOF inscription. This really made my day.
  • Options
    John,

WOW! AWESOME RETURNS this past week. Enjoy the cards and autos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>I decided to take a risk and send it TTM with a $20 donation. It was probably a reckless move considering the price of the card. However, I am a firm believer in if there is no risk than there is no reward. This is easily my favorite TTM to get back. He even gave me his HOF inscription. This really made my day.
    image >>

Best Wishes and a HOF inscription! This from a guy who said no more TTM a few months back. Nice work. When he played for the Bucks, he would never sign. And if you got lucky, you might get an Abdul or Jabbar on your item. I guess he has mellowed with age.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    John,

That's a tremendous Jabbar, congratulations!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Thanks, I was super surprised when I saw the envelope in my mailbox. I knew exactly what it was when I saw it sitting their since I had to use a different sized SASE.
  • Options
    A few more that were added over the past week. The Schmidt and Murphy were from a private signing and the rest were picked up through TTM. I was actually pretty excited when I got my Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat card back. I can remember watching him wrestle on Saturday mournings back when I was a little kid.
  • Options
    The Steamboat is awesome. Getting a sudden urge to pick up the 1987 set that card is from, the 1990 Classic WWF set with the cool individual logos they used to do, and maybe even the 1991 Impel WCW set to try my luck. "It's still real to me, dammit."

I know Steamboat works for WWE, but are there plenty of wrestlers in the address lists y'all use?
  • Options
    I mailed the steamboat to his house. If you would like his addy just shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    I went to the Chicago Sun Times show this weekend. I added these three guys to my signed RC collection. Ozzie seems like a really nice guy, he spoke to almost every person that he signed for. McCovey seems like a nice guy too, even though he was a little craby. He seemed really annoyed that I asked him to use my own pen for the signing. I had 5 rc's signed for a few other board members and myself. I didn't want to take the chance of getting a dried out sharpie. At $69 a pop I didn't think that I was overstepping my boundaries. Aparicio was very quite but greeted everyone with a smile. One thing that was truly amazing to me was how big a turnout Emmitt Smith had. His autograph started at $300 and only went up from there. It would have been over $550 if you wanted a Jersey signed with a HOF10 inscription (that price does not include the cost of the jersey either).
  • Options
    Nice additions, J! Ozzie wasn't way overpriced like usual, right? You had a pretty darn good looking card for him to sign!
  • Options
    Ozzie was $39 which I thought was a good price. I used a PSA 7 that I cracked out. The McCovey was a PSA 5 that I cracked out. However, it had a HUGE wax stain on the front, which I removed with one of my wife's Nylons image. I am hopping that it at least gets a .5 grade bump.
  • Options
    I had a pretty cool return today. One of my autograph hounds got me my Sidney Crosby Pre-rookie card signed while graphing outside of the hotel where the Pens were staying. I guess there were over 50 people waiting at the hotel for Crosby. He only signed 3 autographs and my guy got one of them. Even though it is the chicken scratch that he gives when signing for a crowd it is a pretty sweet addition to my RC collection

He told me that he was actually knocked to the ground by the croud when they rushed Crosby. Sid noticed what had happened and went out of his way to sign my card. This card is his first major release and is from 2004.when he played for Rimouski Oceanic. This was a last minute thing and I had to crack out a PSA 10. Despite getting knocked to the ground my card was not damaged and should still grade Gem Mint in my opinion.
  • Options
    I picked up these three through a trade with my buddy that chases auto's for me in Cali. The Murray was from an IP signing that he set up back in October of last year. The Munoz and Seau were both obtained at a charity golf outing last summer.
  • Options
    Here are some more that I got in a trade with my buddy who chases auto's. These were all from a charity golf outing and in person appearances from a few weeks ago.

• Options
    I had some nice additions come in the mail this week. The Fridge was from a trade I made with theNavarro. The Mario Andretti's (1983 Panini, 1977 Flik cards) and the Bruce Jenner (1983 Greatest Olympians) were signed for free through TTM. Mr. Andretti even used the Staidtler marker I included with my letter.
  • Options
    I have been kind of slow to catch up with all of my scans. The Jerry Mathers "The Beaver" was obtained in person by my budding in CA. The Jack Clark was from an IP private signing done over that the SCN board. Last but not least is Jeremy Roenick that I got back through TTM. This card was sent back in October of last year.
  • Options
    I went to a free signing today for Denis Savard. He was signing for free for the first 200 people at the local Meijer grocery store. I would have offered to take some items for other board members but it said that he would only sign 1 item per person. However, he was very generous and was willing to sign as many items as you placed in front of him. Some kid actually had him sign 10 cards and 4 hockey pucks.
  • Options
    A very nice addition to my collection came in the mail today. I was very excited to get Yogi back from TTM ($50 fee). He is definitely one of baseball's all time greats and for him to still sign for such a small fee when guys like Mays charges $300 is absolutely amazing. This goes right up there with Jabar as being one of my favorite TTM returns.
  • Options
    I had a few nice surprises in my mailbox today. I got back two difficult TTM signers that I sent back in September of last year. I figured the Phil Sims was a goner for sure. He hadn't signed anything in a while back when I sent it out. I figured it would be worth the shot. Well I guess the gamble paid off. Even though he isn't a HOF quarterback he was one of the most exciting players of his generation. The second TTM was a tennis ball that I sent to Monica Seles. She is also a tuff one to get TTM. At first I wasn't even sure who had signed it since it has been so long. The Jeff Gordon I purchased off of eBay. I am pretty sure it is legit since I compares nicely to the two graphs I have gotten in person.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing and congrats. Masters week this week. I sent some of the pro set cards you gave me to the locker room. Come on Arnie!
  • Options
    I picked up a few signed RC's from some PSA and SCN board members that arrived in the mail today.
  • Options
    I got a huge return in the mail today. I took a gamble back in October and sent Michael Phelps a RC TTM to his home address. The part that was cool with this TTM, was there were no records of the address that I used on any of the major graphing websites. I actually used the telephone book and google maps to locate his home. I know that Phelps used to sign through his pool where he swims but the more recent returns appeared to be ghost signed. This signature matches up perfect with PSA authenticated signatures listed on eBay. This is definitely in my top 5 favorite TTM returns do to the difficulty in getting a good Non-personalized signature from him.
  • Options
    Nice Phelps! Now enjoy it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    John,

That Phelps is a tremendous addition. I wish you had gotten two so I could have bought one!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>I actually used the telephone book and google maps to locate his home. >>

you may have crossed the line from auto collector to cyber stalker image

congrats on the hit!
  • Options
    That does sound a little creepy. image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Phelps, that is awesome.
  • Options
    I had a few nice returns in the mail today. I will post scans later tonight. The Bench was sent to his foundation with his standard donation.
  • Options
    John, can you just stop kicking this much $@#. I'm way too jealous.
  • Options
    I Went to a public Billy Williams signing on Saturday at the local Kmart.

• Options
    Here are a few IP and TTM returns from the past few days. The first was my 1986 Fleer Danny Ainge rc that was signed at the PIT Tournament over the weekend. The second card, Bret "the Hitman" Hart, was purchased from a SCN member that got the graph at a book signing a few weeks ago. The Marichal and Cepeda are from a signing that a SCN member put together. Last, but deffinetly not least, is my Willie Davis RC that was signed TTM.
  • Options
    As always ... real nice. Keep 'em coming!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug