Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jswieton's auto RC thread-2014 Chicago Sox Fest

Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few new additions to my collection. The Carl Eller was from a signing that a board member attended over the weekend. I was fortunate to get my card to him at the very last second before he left for the show. Thanks Donnie!! The Roy Williams was purchased from a SCN member and the Lennox Lewis was bought off of eBay. Even though the Lewis is a terrible looking graph, it appears to be a legit signature from his early days.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for my Eller to get back here. Glad the Donnie deal worked out for you!

I also love the Lewis. Sometimes classic sig's are really cool and that's a great example.
  • Options
    A few more arrived in the mail today. The McCormack was TTM and the Gibson and Kendall were picked up off of eBay.
  • Options
    My buddy in CA picked me up these from some local signings. The first Alice cooper is a 1973 Panini sticker (size of a post card). The second is a 1973 card from the Billion Dollar Babies Tour. Both of the Jesse Ventura's are from the 1985 Topps set.
  • Options
    I went to the Jackson signing today. There was a pretty small turnout. I would say there were only 50-75 people that showed up. The museum where it was held had some really cool pieces.
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    nice ink john,

great collection you got going on
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    wow, was he #9 with the A's? He usually signs #44. That's sweet looking.
  • Options
    Yes, he was #9 on the A's. I thought It was an unusual signature too. He usually signs with the #44 inside the loop of his "J" when he includes a #. Most people were getting balls and bats signed and he didn't include a # on their items from what I could see.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That was pretty thoughtful of Mr. October. I hear so many horror stories about dealing with him, it's nice to hear a positive one.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Love the Jackson!
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options

<< <i>That was pretty thoughtful of Mr. October. I hear so many horror stories about dealing with him, it's nice to hear a positive one. >>

I have also heard some pretty horrific stories, I was actually scared to ask him to use my pen. I asked his handler first before asking him. He seemed to be in a good mood today. I guess for $89 to sign my name, I would be tooimage
  • Options
    A very nice return was in my mailbox today. This was from a private signing done by a SCN member (PSA 8 crackout).
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That Ripken is a stunner
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome... image
  • Options
    A few more additions over the past couple of days. The Larry little is from TTM. The Marc McClure "Jimmy Olsen" was signed by my buddy in CA at a charity event. The Bill Elliott and Dale Jarrett were picked up for cheap on eBay.
  • Options
    Loving these. I see you also dabble in NASCAR. If you continue down the NASCAR path, I think you will have good luck. I have found that the drivers are more fan friendly, fan accessible than the stick and ball sports. Granted there aren't as many drivers compared to the stick and ball sports and it is part of their job to represent their sponsors well. I don't know if you ever go to any races, but they sign a TON at the tracks. Last year at Kansas I got Jeff Gordon x2, Mark Martin x2, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Kasey Kahne, Ryan Newman, Elliott Sadler and that was all within about 10 minutes. Each year I have good luck at Kansas getting autos. I hear they are good signers through the mail too. Now I will get off my redneck box for a bit and return to the regularly scheduled programming.
  • Options
    This was from a private signing over at SCN. The card is a little beat up, I will probably try and upgrade this one in the future.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice sig of Lefty ... ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    A very nice surprise was in my mailbox today. I wasn't expecting to get this back so soon. The Brooks Robinson RC was from a private signing over at SCN.
  • Options
    John - where was the Reggie signing?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John - where was the Reggie signing? >>

MEARS Headquarters in Milwaukee
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I add these three guys today. The Pete Rose was from a private signing done by a SCN member. The card is definitely a beater but I didn't want to spend a ton on the card since I would like to replace it one day with a signed RC. I figured that I would use it as a filler until I can find a 63 at a fair price. The Hamilton and George cards were signed for free through TTM. Both of these guys were sent out 4 months ago. It was a nice surprise to get them back signed.
  • Options
    I picked up these two off of eBay. Trottier signs TTM but refuses to sign his RC's for some reason. The signature is kind of crappy but appears to be authentic.
  • Options
    I went to the Chicago Bears alumni event today to help out a SCN board member. Here are the items that I got signed.
    -
    Gary Fencik x1
    Dan Hampton x5
    Roland Harper x2
    Jim Thorton (robocop) x2
    Jim Morrissey x1
    Matt Suhey x2
    Jim Keane x2
    Ronnie Bull x3
    Jim Osborne x3
    Roland Harper x2
    Calvin Thomas x2
    James (Big Cat) Williams x2
    Tom Hicks x2
    Ottis Wilson X1
    Revie Sorey x4
    -
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to go to Real Time today, but couldnt make it. Was it crowded?

DR
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I wanted to go to Real Time today, but couldnt make it. Was it crowded?

DR >>

No, there were probably only 100 people there getting graphs. Most of the lines moved pretty quickly.
  • Options
    I recieved a few nice returns in the mail this weekend. I will post all the scans over the next few days. These four were obtained in person by a SCN member. Thanks Jes!!
  • Options

Thanks to Bill (initiaD) I was able to add one of the NBA's all time greats. He recently attended a signing and was kind enough to take my card and get it signed. Thanks Bill!!!
  • Options
    Bill is the man. I picked up one of those too. I wish I could have afforded a Bill Russell RC but the cost of the card was cost prohibitive. I did get a Russell auto though. Can't wait to see it.

Great Jones! I hope we see KC Jones do a signing one of these days too!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    John, is a Hampton for sale?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    I've received a bunch of PM's regarding the Hamptons. Two of them were for a SCN member and the third is for Daddymc. Dan Hampton does several free signings throughout the year here in Chicago. I will be sure to have him sign a bunch of RC's the next time I see him.
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of future HOF'ers from a SCN member.
  • Options
    I had a couple of envelopes today in the mail. The first was from Alan page, this has an interesting story to go along with the card. In the past Mr. Page had signed cards with a $10 donation to his foundation. I received a letter last week informing me that he is now charging $25 for cards. The letter then thanked me for my $10 donation and told me that if I wanted my card signed I would have to send another $15. So, basically if I refused to send it they would have still kept my original $10. Either way, I am very pleased to add this card to my HOF collection.

The second envelope included the two Rodman RC's that I had signed during a private signing set up by a SCN member. I am very pleased with the way the Blue signature turned out.
  • Options
    -
  • Options
    That blue sharpie Rodman looks sweet. I'm glad now that I told the organizer to use blue sharpie on one and silver on the other. He wanted to use silver on both but I told him I wanted 1 and 1. I should have went for two blue sharpies. I haven't gotten mine back yet but hopefully the promoter followed through and got me at least one blue one and hopefully messed up and got me two blue ones!!

Mike
  • Options
    I didn't get a card - too broke but I told them to use blue or black on my 89 Pistons Media Guide. Really anxious to get it back. Did you complain at all about the silver, John?
  • Options
    No, not yet. I haven't decided if I'm going to or not. It is frustrating because I sent him a brand new silver sharpie with my cards. I was going to have him sign it with a Deco but I was afraid that they would put it back inside my CS1 before it had time to dry.
  • Options
    Did you write with the silver sharpie before you sent it? I've seen a million silver sharpie fails, but the odds are drastically reduced if you've used it before.
  • Options
    Yes, he even returned my sharpie and it was never used. I just tried it and the marker signs as good as new. You can tell that the one he used was severely used by how bold the signature is. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. It was either carelessness or laziness that caused this. I had a few other cards signed for a couple of board members and all of the silver ones look like garbage. If it was one card that looked bad I could maybe understand it. Hopefully your media guide comes out ok. I would have been pretty pissed if I didn't get another one signed. I will probably just get the silver one slabed and sell it on eBay and cut my losses.
  • Options
    A nice surprise awaited me in the mailbox today. I remember that this was one of the fist cards I wanted to get signed when I started to send out TTM's. I finally got around to picking up a Bowman RC. Mr. Irvin was even kind enough to sign it with my pen and included his HOF inscription ($20 donation).
  • Options
    Nice Irvin,

BTW, you probably already know this, but indyautographs is willing to take care of those of us that got the ugly signed silver Rodman rookies (I ended up with two ugly silver despite asking for 1/1). just contact him, I did yesterday and it looks like he will be providing excellent customer service.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Irvin,

BTW, you probably already know this, but indyautographs is willing to take care of those of us that got the ugly signed silver Rodman rookies (I ended up with two ugly silver despite asking for 1/1). just contact him, I did yesterday and it looks like he will be providing excellent customer service.

Mike >>

\
    That sucks that both of yours look like crap. Hopefully he can resolve this problem and get them done right, or he is going to have a mob of pissed off autograph collectors. I still don't understand how he let this happen. I have dozens of signed cards that look awesome in silver. Did the guy just bring one marker to the signing??
  • Options
    Added a new HOF rc to my collection today through TTM ($20 donation). Mr. Perry was also kind enough to include the HOF inscription that I requested.
  • Options
    A couple of nice additions today. The first one is a 1986 Jose Canseco rc. A scn board member was able to get my card signed IP. This was one of my favorite cards growing up as a kid. I can remember always wanting one but could never afford it with my allowance money. When I saw a board member offer up the signing I had to jump on this one. I actually busted a box of 86 Donruss in search of the RC. I happened to pull the card on the third to last pack of the box.

The Alex Karras was from a TTM request. I am a little disappointed he personalized it since he usually just signs his name. I guess beggars can't be choosers considering he is kind enough to sign for free.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Karras should sign all of his autos 'George Papadopolis'.
  • Options
    These two were from IP signings that a scn member got for me. The Kiner was done at a Stiener signing that took place over the weekend. The card was a PSA 5 that I cracked out. I feel the card was slightly over graded do to the staining in the upper left corner. However, I really wanted to get the card signed, and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to get a signature from a great HOF'er at a good price.

• Options
    A couple of great returns today!!

-1986 Fleer Charles Barkley rc (BGS 8 crackout)
    - 1957 Topps Raymond Berry rc

I am thrilled with adding these two greats to my HOF rc collection. The Barkley was signed IP at a charity event that a SCN member attended. The Raymond Berry was signed TTM with a $20 donation. He even included a bunch of signed and personalized extras inluding a cutom card and a 5x7.
  • Options
    Way to go on Barkley. I struck out trying to get him in person today.
  • Options
    1959 Topps Bobby Mitchell rc

A SCN member attended the signing over the weekend and was kind enough to take my card for me. The card is OC but it was kind of a last minute decision. I had the choice of getting this card signed or one that was well centered but had a crease running across the bottom and a soft corner. I opted for the OC card.

• Options
    -1987 Fleer & Donruss Jamie Moyer rc

This was my longest TTM return so far. I sent these out in my first batch of cards 228 days ago!