Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff!

Barry Bonnell writes like a girl. >>

HAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Received a few PMs from some friends on here regarding my TTM project... I have been out of town since July 2 and will return home July 13 ... HOPEFULLY I will have some TTMs waiting for me when I return. I will post when I get back.

I AM GOING THRU CU BOARD WITHDRAWALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    I CAN'T believe it! Got home a little while ago and I had ONE ... yes, ONE TTM waiting for me. Away for 12 days and only ONE TTM! I MUST start sending out more ... been quite a while!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Only 1 TTM return...lol...you'd better start sending more out. I was away from June 26th until July 7th and I had 32 waiting for me. I sat down with a pint of IPA and opened envelopes for an hour image

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Only 1 TTM return...lol...you'd better start sending more out. I was away from June 26th until July 7th and I had 32 waiting for me. I sat down with a pint of IPA and opened envelopes for an hour image
    Rgs,
    Greg M. >>

Greg ... Yeah, I have not sent out any in ONE MONTH! BUT, I still have over 150 that are outstanding ... makes one wonder if there is someone out there who is "helping him/herself" to my returns! (I really DON'T think that is the case ... but you never know!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• How the heck did you get Simms?I have sent 4 times,everytime I get RTS.He and LT were my favorite when I was younger.Good stuff Doug.
    Mike

<< <i>How the heck did you get Simms?I have sent 4 times,everytime I get RTS.He and LT were my favorite when I was younger.Good stuff Doug.
    Mike >>

Mike ... PM going to be sent to you after this post.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>Only 1 TTM return...lol...you'd better start sending more out. I was away from June 26th until July 7th and I had 32 waiting for me. I sat down with a pint of IPA and opened envelopes for an hour image
    Rgs,
    Greg M. >>

Greg ... Yeah, I have not sent out any in ONE MONTH! BUT, I still have over 150 that are outstanding ... makes one wonder if there is someone out there who is "helping him/herself" to my returns! (I really DON'T think that is the case ... but you never know!) >>

I think the same thing all of the time. On days that I don't receive any returns, I joke with my wife that the postman must liked what I received that day and kept them...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Well ... not too much to show. The Carmel cards were waiting for me when I returned and the Triandos arrived today.

DUKE CARMEL

GUS TRIANDOS

Thanks for the autos guys!

Even though I have about 150 TTMs still outstanding, I better start sending more ... I have not send out any requests in a month!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

One new one for my '82 Donruss Set:

JOHN CASTINO - 1979 ROY

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Only one back today was an addition to my '82 Donruss Set.

THANKS MR. KENNEDY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Added two more to my collection today. First up is the submariner who pitched for the Pirates back in the 70s and 80s. He was one of the best relievers of his time. Another to add to my 1982 Donruss Set.

KENT TEKULVE

Next up is one of the best relievers of all time.
    LEE SMITH

Thanks for the autos guys!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice additions Doug.

Yes - remember Tekulve - I agree - powerful reliever - tho I never did like those 'softball' uni's!

Thanx for sharing - when I look at your posts and a few others, I really miss Randy's posts on this kind of stuff - the guy really did a lot of work on TTM's.

mike
    Mike
    Mike,

Thanks very much ... as long as people enjoy seeing them I will keep on sharing!

I agree with you regarding those uniforms ... WTF???

Edited to correctly spell a word I learned in 1st grade! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff! I have Tekulve ready to mail out this week.

Looks like Lee Smith is starting to be more TTM friendly too. I'll have to send him a couple of cards.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Doug, I have a 82 Donruss Johnny Bench autograph coming in. Do you need it for your set? I might be able to part with it.

Mark ... PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... I FINALLY got another 20 requests out in the mail today. I have not sent a request in almost TWO MONTHS! Hoping to get another 20 done today and out in the mail tomorrow. I still have over 150 requests that I am waiting to hear back from!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Kobefan1 - PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... 20 more requests went out today. I have 60 more sitting on my desk ready to be mailed on Monday or Tuesday. That will be 100 TTMs that I have sent out in the past week. HOPEFULLY I will get some nice responses that I can share with you guys/gals. The majority are from the '65 Topps set, with about 25 from my '82 Donruss quest and a few others.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Good stuff Doug

I have recently got back some decent returns myself. Ron Darling, Ken Singleton, Phil Bradley, Jim Fregosi, Billy Pierce, Von Hayes, Dave Goltz, Dennis Leonard, Paul Molitor, Bob Grich, Ron Cey, Johnny Grubb, Al Dark, Larry Bowa, Whitey Herzog, Ralph Houk

Pending for me are Boog Powell, Luis Tiant, Hal Lanier, Burt Hooten, Paul Blair, Mike Mussina, Jim Thome, Bobby Richardson, Steve Rogers, Kevin Maas, Jim Kaat, Roy Smalley, Jeff Kent, and Al Bumbry

Just mailed out Tippy Martinez, Jim Sundberg, Rick Manning, Frank Tanana, Don Money, Carl Erskine, Bill Skowron, and Roy Face

Joe Garagiola...well, I consider him as a FAIL. You might do ok but just dont sent him a 52 Topps cuz he will keep it. I dont know if he keeps any of the other vintage. He kept my 52 and sent me back a 53 Archives image I mailed him a follow up letter with SASE requesting my card back.
    Well ... two returns today, but not what I was hoping for.

First up is Larry Gura ... for $2 I think he could have signed and requested the $2. Oh well, it's his right.

Next up is Fred Lynn. While he was nice enough to send me his auto on an Index Card, it would have been nice to get it on the card.

Thanks for the auto Mr. Lynn!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Fred Lynn wont sign cards TTM, only on those blue index cards. Something about stealing his signature? He's slightly paranoid.
    Received two positive responses today ... both from the '65 set that I have recently been getting signed for a friend and me.

First up is CHUCK SCHILLING, a 60's Red Sox player. I don't remember that much about him, but the back of the card states he led the AL in fielding in his Rookie Season in 1961. It also shows that he lived in the town next to me when he was a player. He currently resides about 15 minutes away from me.

Next up is TITO FRANCONA. He spent his 15 year career with NINE different teams. Was an All Star in '61. (And, of course, dad of the Red Sox manager.)

Thanks for the autographs guys!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug, you should call up chuck and see if he wants to get lunch and talk baseball!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>Doug, you should call up chuck and see if he wants to get lunch and talk baseball! >>

John ... he would probably be a very interesting person to talk with. He played WITH YAZ, TONY C, RICO PETROCELLI and against all the YANKEE greats of the early 60's ... MANTLE, MARIS, FORD, etc. He also became a High School Math teacher and played competitive softball until he was SIXTY-NINE years old! (He will be 72 in October.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

FOUR responses today, all from the '65 set. They are:

DICK MCAULIFFE He wants $5.00 per auto ... Sorry Dick.

KEN MCBRIDE

MIKE HERSHBERGER

and BOB PRIDDY

Thanks to these guys for their autographs!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭✭

Look at it this way, you got half an Auto for free. A full sentence written by the guy, and the rare "Dug" version of your name. image

I just don't get some of these guys sometimes, more work went into the note than signing would have been.

<< <i>Look at it this way, you got half an Auto for free. A full sentence written by the guy, and the rare "Dug" version of your name. image
    I just don't get some of these guys sometimes, more work went into the note than signing would have been. >>

I agree .. maybe next time I can write him a letter and ask him what his last name is! Then I can cut and paste it onto the card! LMAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I love this thread. Keep 'em coming.

<< <i>I love this thread. Keep 'em coming. >>

THANKS! I should be receiving a decent amount in the next couple of weeks. All I get back will be shown here.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

WOW! The MOST I ever received back in one day - FIFTEEN!

First up are three from my pursuit of the 1982 Donruss set in Autographed form:
    MIKE HEATH, GARTH IORG and DAN GRAHAM

The rest are from the '65 set I am doing with a friend:
    LEN GABRIELSON and JIM STEWART

FRANK BOLLING and GARY BELL

ERNIE BROGLIO and BOB SHAW

STEVE BOROS and RON BRAND

FRANK BORK and JOE GIBBON

TOM BUTTERS and JERRY LYNCH

WOW! Thanks for the autos guys! Too bad all the players were not this quick in responding!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Nice haul today...wow... How many 1969 Topps fb do you still have outstanding? Also, do you need a 69 Topps Dick LeBeau auto'd? If so, maybe we can work out a trade.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Nice haul today...wow... How many 1969 Topps fb do you still have outstanding? Also, do you need a 69 Topps Dick LeBeau auto'd? If so, maybe we can work out a trade.Rgs,Greg M. >>

Thanks Greg. I have not sent out a '69 FB in over three months ... I sent out my dupes only. (One of the next batch of TTMs I send out will be the 69s from my set, as I really like the way they look. The players are quick to respond as well!)

I sent out 60 and have received 45 back. Dick LeBeau responded in FOUR DAYS ... not only did he sign my '69 card and IC, but also answered several questions that I had in my letter to him!

I have a few '69 auto dupes if you are interested in trading.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice haul today...wow... How many 1969 Topps fb do you still have outstanding? Also, do you need a 69 Topps Dick LeBeau auto'd? If so, maybe we can work out a trade.Rgs,Greg M. >>

Thanks Greg. I have not sent out a '69 FB in over three months ... I sent out my dupes only. (One of the next batch of TTMs I send out will be the 69s from my set, as I really like the way they look. The players are quick to respond as well!)

I sent out 60 and have received 45 back. Dick LeBeau responded in FOUR DAYS ... not only did he sign my '69 card and IC, but also answered several questions that I had in my letter to him!

I have a few '69 auto dupes if you are interested in trading. >>

I'd definately like to see your list of dupes. Please PM or e-mail me at montooth13@yahoo.com.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Greg,

PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey doug this is the first time I seen this thread and may I say it's amazing collection you have going. Keep the post comming image
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies

<< <i>Hey doug this is the first time I seen this thread and may I say it's amazing collection you have going. Keep the post comming image >>

Thanks Mike ... I enjoy sharing all the autos I receive with you guys.

I hope those 68s helped you on The Registry!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course thank you so much. Im really trying to complete that dang set before the new year. I tell you, I'm working hard at it lol
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Doug, might I suggest adding a tally of how many cards you have for each auto set you're working on? For example

1982 Donruss 56/660 etc?

Will be a fun way to follow your progress!!

<< <i>Doug, might I suggest adding a tally of how many cards you have for each auto set you're working on? For example
    1982 Donruss 56/660 etc?
    Will be a fun way to follow your progress!! >>

Mike ... I'll have to go thru them later this week and do a count. Not all of the autos on the '82 Donruss are TTMs. My rule of thumb is that if I can pick them up for $2.50 or less I will purchase the card(s). I have bought quite a few from Brian Fredrich (ABC Unlimited) out in Arizona. He must have tens of thousands of autos from all different years. PM me if you want his info.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Only one return today and it's from the '65 set:
    JIM KING, who once hit 3 HRs in a game.

THANKS MR. KING!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Great Progress Doug!! I guess the lil dry spell may be up huh? image

Looks like your putting a good run of 65's together image

Thanks for sharing again

<< <i>Great Progress Doug!! I guess the lil dry spell may be up huh? image
    Looks like your putting a good run of 65's together image
    Thanks for sharing again >>

Bill ... the reason the dry spell ended was because I sent out 115 TTMs between Aug 6 and Aug 10!!!! lol

There are still over 100 that I have not received from months ago.

I'll keep on sharing all my results as long as people enjoy looking at them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... two more positive responses, both from the '65 set:

First up is a Pirate pitcher from the 60s and 70s. He made the All Star Team in 1972.
    STEVE BLASS

Next up is a guy who pitched for 15 years in the 60s and 70s.
    He led the league in ERA in 1970, yet his record was only 10 - 10.
    DIEGO SEGUI

THANK YOU FOR THE AUTOS!

Edited to add: For those that have asked, I still have 169 requests outstanding from June and before.
    .....I have another 71 outstanding from this month

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Degui Segui also pitched for the Seattle Pilots and the Seattle Mariners
    I did not get the chance to post my results from yesterday, so today I am showing what I received from yesterday and today. Two GREAT days. A total of TEN positive returns and all from the 1965 set. So here we go!

First up is Dick "Ducky" Schofield, who is the father of former major league ballplayer Dick Schofield and grandfather to current Phillie Jayson Werth.

DON SCHWALL, who once outscored WILT CHAMBERLAIN in a college basketball game.

BOB HUMPHREYS, a member of the 1964 World Champion Cardinals.

PETE WARD, 1963 AL ROY and son of former NHL player JIMMY WARD, who played 11 years in the NHL.

JOEL HORLEN, who responded to my question: How did it feel to play in the World Series AND in the All Star Game?

FRANK BERTAINA, who played in exactly 100 MLB games.

MAX ALVIS, a two time All Star.

BUD DALEY, another two time All Star.

WAYNE SCHURR, appeared in 26 games as a pitcher for the Cubs in 1964, his only season in MLB. Despite pitching in 26 games his record was 0-0. He also had 5 ABs that year. His BA? .000.

STERLING SLAUGHTER, also pitched only one year in MLB and it was for the Cubs as well. VERY INTERESTING: Take a look at the back of his card ... note the statistics ... the headings are for a players batting stats yet they have the numbers for his pitching stats!

THANKS GO OUT TO THESE TEN GUYS FOR TAKING TIME OUT OF THEIR DAY TO SIGN MY CARDS!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Yes, these 65s are fun ... but too many of the guys are no longer alive. I'm going to send out some "semi-star"/"star" cards from various years this weekend and then start sending some more of the 69 FB set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Here is what I received between Saturday and today. I have been VERY busy with the sale of my over 450 1975 PSA "8s" (which I have posted on the BST Board) which are ALL being sold for LESS THAN VCP averages!!!! So sorry, not much commentary ... mostly pictures.

First two are from my 1982 Donruss set.

CLIFF JOHNSON

STEVE STONE

The next six are from the '65 Topps set.

GENE FREESE

This guy HAD to be listed next - BILL MCCOOL

JIM O'TOOLE

CHUCK HINTON

HAL LANIER

RAY HERBERT - READ THIS STAT: In 1963 he had a record of 13-10 with an ERA of 3.24 ...
    not bad ... BUT, he pitched SEVEN SHUTOUTS that year!!!!!!!!!! Talk about inconsistency!

The following two I received in a 2 for 2 trade with GregM. The Cappalletti looks AWESOME!

A great big thank you to all the guys who signed and to Greg for a GREAT trade!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

#300 (I HAD to do it!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug