Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>what did you say to MR Lilly to get his little handwritten response? >>

I always add something personal in my letters, so I probably said it was a great honor to have been an 11 time Pro Bowler and a member of the NFLs 75th Anniversary all time team.

Check out the letter (3 posts above) that I got back from Alvin Haymond. I forgot to scan it before. It was amazing to see how much he appreciated me asking him to sign my card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Received two cards back from Houston Antwine. Now I can cross off another one on my '69 FB auto quest! (I have 60 so far.)
    Thank you Mr. Antwine!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Thanks Mr. Banaszak! This makes the 61st card that I have autographed from this set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

PMs regarding these TTMs responded to.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize that Lilly's only cost $5.00. I'll have to get a nice rookie to send him. Great responses so far. I love the handwritten letter you got from Alvin.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Thanks Mike ... I do enjoy getting back the handwritten letters ... it's nice to go back in time with the athletes who experienced the sport first hand!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

This makes card #62 that is autographed from the '69 FB set.
    Thanks to Al Denson, a receiver who could run the 100 in 9.6 back in the 60s!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Two more from the '69 Football Set came back in the mail today. I now have 64 of the cards autographed ...
    that's about 25% of the set. Still a long way to go, but the returns have been great so far.
    I need to sit down one day and get out a lot of my TTMs. Very few have been sent out in the past 2 months.
    TOM BEER
    TOM MATTE
    THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... just received back my 65th signed card from the '69 Football Set. Thanks Mr. Hill!
    He apologized for the signature, stating "none of his pens seemed to be working today!"
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• great stuff Dboneesq - I love the back grounds on those 69's they look great with autos!
    Well, Chuck Howley makes autographed card #66 from this set! Thanks Mr. Howley.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice progress on your 69's. I wish my mail came this early.
    Thanks Nam! I usually get my mail by 10:30. I have been real lazy about sending out TTMs lately. Have only sent out 40 in the past three months. Compare that to the FOUR HUNDRED PLUS I sent out the prior 5 months! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Received back an autographed card from one of golf's real characters ... Mr. CHI CHI RODRIGUEZ!
    Thanks Mr. Rodriguez
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

WHEW! Just got finished looking up addys and addressing envelopes for the remaining possible players from the '69 football set. Took me quite a long time ... it turned out to be the start of 76 more TTMs. Still have to get the letters together ... hoping to get most of them done tomorrow. Then it's stuffing the envelopes ... putting stamps on 152 envelopes ... and getting them down to the PO early in the week! Did I say this was fun????? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

WOW! What a GREAT day for my TTMs. I received SIX MORE from the '69 FB set ... this brings my total
    to 72 from this set!!!!

MATT SNELL signed my card and also sent me two of his own:

DICK WITCHER

NATE RAMSEY

DON PERKINS

MAXIE BAUGHAN

JOE SCARPATI - He was the holder when Tom Dempsey set the Field Goal Record. (Check out the return letter as well)

THANKS GUYS ... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff. FYI Tom Dempsey not, Rick. Rick was the Orioles catcher & I believe the 1983 World Series MVP. Nice Autos.
    Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ

<< <i>Good stuff. FYI Tom Dempsey not, Rick. Rick was the Orioles catcher & I believe the 1983 World Series MVP. Nice Autos. >>

OF COURSE IT WAS TOM! Guess those things happen at age 51 (and a half! lol). THANKS for pointing it out!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• great stuff... I'm starting to think us TTm'ers are keeping the post office in business!
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Nice returns, Doug. I love that note. Fun stuff!
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I guess we do give the PO a lot of money. HOWEVER, when you think that we can get autos for a BUCK, it's pretty kewl!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Nice returns! Do you hand write all your evelopes or do you print out labels?

<< <i>Doug,
    Nice returns! Do you hand write all your envelopes or do you print out labels? >>

All the envelopes I send out to the athletes are handwritten. On my return envelopes, I use labels.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

This ex NY GIANT brings to 73 the number of autographed cards I now have from the '69 Football Set. One thing that interests me when I do the TTMs ... I look up the players stats and learn quite a bit. This player not only punted, but he also returned kickoffs and was a half back, where he ran and also caught some passes. MR. ERNIE KOY

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Doug - thanks for sharing. I especially love the Howley....I still need to pick one up to send out. I've added 2 69's in the past week - Bobby Walden and Frank Ryan.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i> I've added 2 69's in the past week - Bobby Walden and Frank Ryan.Rgs,Greg M. >>

Yeah Greg, I saw them on your thread ... nice pickups!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

REALLY GREAT DAY for my TTMs. Received SIX more autos from the '69 FB set ... I now have 79 cards autographed from that set ... almost 1/3 of the set. Todays returns were from Steve DeLong, Frank Ryan, Gary Collins, George Saimes, Richie Petitbon and J.R. Wilburn.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Thanks to these six gentlemen for signing my cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Does anyone have any autographed FB 69s that they want to trade? I have a few duplicates I can swap.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Nice returns today. You have been doing really well with that set. Keep up the good work!!
    Three more autographed cards from the '69 Football set arrived today. I now have 82 from this set.
    ******************RON McDOLE******************

******************BOBBY HUNT******************
    ****************DARRELL DESS****************

THANKS FOR THE AUTOS GUYS!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well, I now have 88 signed cards from the 1969 Football Set. These guys are QUICK with their returns. Here are the
    players I received today, along with the responses from two of the players to my questions/comments.

BOB VOGEL

BOYD DOWLER

STEW BARBER

DARYLE LAMONICA

KEN KORTAS & HIS RESPONSE
    imageimage

MIKE TALIAFERRO
    imageimage

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Aren't the responses even better than the cards sometimes? They're just fun. Great job, Doug!
    Mike, yes they are. Especially when I get back complete letters from guys who played in the 50s and they write about my childhood idol, THE MICK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug:

Great looking cards and results! When I start I'll be sure to have some good questions to ask as well. 400 in 5 months... that must have taken quite a bit of time to complete. Good luck in getting more great looking results...

Ken
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, yes they are. Especially when I get back complete letters from guys who played in the 50s and they write about my childhood idol, THE MICK! >>

Who is this MICK you speak of?

Great responses as always Doug keep em all coming!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, yes they are. Especially when I get back complete letters from guys who played in the 50s and they write about my childhood idol, THE MICK! >>

Who is this MICK you speak of? >>

Are you SERIOUS? Have you never been to Disney? You know, the stud that Minnie hangs with?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• << <i>

<< <i>

Who is this MICK you speak of? >>

Are you SERIOUS? Have you never been to Disney? You know, the stud that Minnie hangs with? >>

LMAO image
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great job Doug! Great project and I love reading the response letters you are getting back.

Hope all is well with you Doug!

brian
    Well, another AWESOME day yesterday for autograph returns. There were a few interesting letters as well, so take the time to read them. First up was a MISTAKE ... I sent a '69 FB card of Gary Lewis to Mr. Lewis ... except it was the Gary Lewis who played for the Packers from 1981 - 1984! LOL

Next up, quarterback BILLY KILMER

Another quarterback I remember watching as a kid, JIM HART

Six time Pro-Bowler, MICK TINGELHOFF, and his response to my question
    imageimage

DAVE COSTA

FOUR time Pro-Bowler, LARRY GARRON, and his response to my question
    imageimage

Last up is FRED HILL. As many of you know, I run Marathons and race Triathlons to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society so HOPEFULLY no other child will have to go thru what my daughter Francesca went thru. Mr. Hill's daughter was diagnosed ABOUT 40 years ago with the same type of Leukemia that Francesca had (both were diagnosed at age 3). I wrote him a letter as one Cancer Dad to another, asking him how his daughter was. His letter follows as well. I am showing you his letter so you can see how far we have come with treating Leukemia. One day we will find a cure ... that's why after running THE MARINE CORPS MARATHON in DC in October I have just signed up for THE VANCOUVER MARATHON on May 2 ... to raise more money to fund research!
    imageimage

I NOW HAVE 94 CARDS AUTOGRAPHED FROM THE '69 FOOTBALL SET. THANKS GUYS!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• That is really some letter! Stuff like that makes collecting so much more than a hobby in my opinion.
    Wow, that is some heavy sh$#. It is so important to be thankful for your familys health.

<< <i>Wow, that is some heavy sh$#. It is so important to be thankful for your familys health. >>

Oh yeah ... I learned that the HARD way ... Always knew it, but after BOTH my daughter AND wife were diagnosed with CANCER, it REALLY hit home!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must have felt quite a connection to you because that is a lot of personal information he chose to share with a stranger. Very nice success. image

<< <i>He must have felt quite a connection to you because that is a lot of personal information he chose to share with a stranger. Very nice success. image >>

Nam ... thanks very much ... I have found that "CANCER DAD'S" (and also Cancer Parents) make quite a connection very easily. It's not a club you want to belong to, but if you must, it's one where it helps to talk to others that have walked/are walking in the same shoes as you. Have you heard of MARK HERZLICH, the Boston College Linebacker who was diagnosed with Cancer last year? He went from being a potential first round draft pick to fighting for his life. When I heard about him on ESPN, I found out his parent's address and wrote his dad a letter telling him to stay tough and letting him know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Since that day, he has added me to his email list (which looks like it is mostly relatives) and includes me whenever he sends out an update on Mark.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I thought it was worth the bump to read the letter that Mr. Hill sent to me, especially at this time of the year. Let's all be grateful for the things we all too often take for granted.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The Ronald McDonald House is a GREAT organization. I had cancer when I was 11 until 14 and at one point I was in the hospital from early January until mid May (in Madison, WI, whereas I was living in Chicago at th time. The time and expense of travelling back and forth bankrupted my family...but there was a RMH near the hospital which allowed my family to stay for free.

If anyone is looking to donate $ this year or next, RMH along with Make a Wish Foundation (which granted me a wish when I was sick) and Love Without Boundaries are all GREAT organizations.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    +1 for Make a Wish. My wife had leukemia from 6-9 years old and they sent her to Disneyland plus she got to meet Cal Ripken at spring training. She still has the (very faded) ball that Cal signed for her. Whenever we feel like we can spare some money, we always donate to Make A Wish. Glad to hear RMH is awesome as well.
    Today was the best day (I think) that I ever had for returns. I received back NINE autographed cards
    in the mail today ... and all were from the 1969 Football Set. I now have 103 autographed cards
    from this set. I also received two letters as well. Check out Mr. Harper's reference to the cowGIRLS.

CHARLIE HARPER and his letter to me

CHARLIE DURKEE

CHRIS HANBURGER

FRED COX

DONNY ANDERSON...Looks like he had a little trouble getting the card back in the CS1 ... LOL

ART GRAHAM

TOM NOWATZKE ... He also added his own autographed card.

ROSEY TAYLOR

GENE HOWARD and his letter to me

THANKS GUYS! NINE RETURNS IN ONE DAY ... THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• WOW nine in one day you are on fire!!!
    400th Post ... I HAD to do it! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug