Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    PM sent to Initial D
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great TTM's again Doug! I really like the Jabbar sigs....Those are sweet!

brian
  • Options
    Well, today was payback time by the mailman ... after a GREAT day yesterday ... I went to the mailbox today ... and saw that I received ... ZERO responses ... HURRY UP MR MAILMAN ... get here early tomorrow ... I need my FIX of TTMs! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Well ... the returns were a little slow the last several days. Here is what I got back over the past few days. First up would be an AWESOME auto, but my guess is it is auto pen, considering he did not sign my card and returned an "autographed" picture of himself.
    NONE OTHER THAN ONE OF THE BEST EVER - NOLAN RYAN

Next up is one to add to my 1982 Donruss collection:
    VON HAYES

Here are a couple to add to my 1970 "scratch off" inserts:
    CLAUDE OSTEEN & MIKE HEGAN

Last up are a pair of New York Mets from the '65 Team:
    DARRELL SUTHERLAND & GORDON RICHARDSON

THANKS GUYS FOR THE SIGNATURES!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Sweet successes Doug, those Scratch off cards are neat. Mailman brought me a rejection today. Jack Nicklaus, I sent him a Barratt's rookie and a 81 Donruss c/o the Memorial Tournament a few weeks ago. Tourney starts this week, but they forwarded it to Golden Bear Enterprises in Fl. They sent a fake signed photo but at least returned my two cards and my check (was a $35 donation to the Ohio State Golf Program). I've already put the two cards back in the mail c/o The Memorial Tournament in Ohio again. I figure they'll get there Wednesday or Thursday and Jack will be there so you never know. He signs c/o The Masters the week of that tourney so I figured I'll try again. Worst case scenario, I lose the cards, but oh well, they don't mean anything to me unsigned anyway.

Take care,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Thanks Mike ... I had some of the scratch off cards (insides are UNscratched) sitting around and I thought they would look kewl signed, so I sent some out.

Good luck with "FAT JACK" ... hopefully you will get them both signed soon! I have a couple of cards out to Arnold Palmer right now. (Sent them to his home in FL)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Guys ... that is an auto pen on the Ryan, right?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the Ryan is an autopen for sure. It's the same card he's been sending out for years. Sorry.
  • Options
    Received two back today, both of which are additions to my 1982 Donruss Set:
    THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Three new autographs in today's mail. First up is for my 1982 DONRUSS SET:
    DAVE ROZEMA

Next two are for my 1969 Football Set:
    DICK SHINER

ED O'BRADOVICH

Thank yous go out to all three gentlemen!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Dick Shiner.

Man that name would have been hell to have in school.
  • Options

<< <i>Dick Shiner. Man that name would have been hell to have in school. >>

Probably why he got tough and learned to play football!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two new autos today. First up is one of the best QBs ever.

MR. STEVE YOUNG

Next up is one to add to my 1982 Donruss collection. I didn't realize it, but I guess I sent
    two separate requests and they both came back the same day.

JIM CLANCY

THANKS FOR THE AUTOS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received autos from two greats of the game today. One baseball the other Football.

First up, from baseball, TWO cards to add to my 1982 Donruss Set:

STEVE GARVEY

Next up from one of the BEST running backs to ever play in the NFL.
    My question to you: Did he use a paintbrush to sign the card? LOL

One of the best ever - BARRY SANDERS
    This was not even the card that I sent to him.

Thank you for the signatures guys.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Definitely more great additions Doug!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question to you: Did he use a paintbrush to sign the card? LOL >>

Looks like some kid signed it in finger paints for him.
  • Options
    Very slow week for returns. Received one back today. Mr. Powell signed the '66 but not the '70 scratch off insert. Thanks for the sig BOOG!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Those Boog cards bring back good memories. I remember seeing him play towards the end of his career when he became slightly out of shape. It would have been cool to see him play in his prime.

brian
  • Options
    Received four new autos today.

First up, one of the best golfers of all time:
    MR. ARNOLD PALMER

Next up is an addition to my '69 FB set:
    PAUL MARTHA

Next two are additions to my '82 Donruss Set:
    DOUG DECINCES

JAY JOHNSTONE

THANKS FOR THE AUTOS MEN!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Today I received three positives and one negative.

I guess Mr. Gossage is getting too many requests (too many to sign for free.) BUT, a TEN DOLLAR BILL will get you his auto!

A nice one to add to my 1982 Donruss set:
    LEE LACY

Next is a long time NY Met player who played in their first year - 1962:
    ED KRANEPOOL

This next guy was called up to the majors in 1958 and went hitless in 19 at bats. He got 4 more at bats in
    1959 and went hitless again. In 1960 he played in 153 games for the Orioles and was Rookie of the Year!
    RON HANSEN

Thank you for the autographs guys!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    First up today is one of the Yankees from my childhood:
    PHIL LINZ

Next up is one to add to my 1969 Football Set:
    KARL NOONAN

THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Very nice! I really dig that Kranepool auto.
  • Options
    Is that a #5 with Linz's autograph?
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    In the overall scheme of things, paying $5 or $10 per auto is still a good deal (compared to what many HOFers charge at private signings/card shows). I am getting every regular Topps/Fleer/Philadlphia/Score card signed for every NFL HOFer and I have no problem paying $5/$10 or even up to $20 per auto to get the card signed. As a matter of fact, I often send $ to the players even if they doesn't charge...(i.e. Chuck Bednarik, Willie Davis).

What you have to keep in mind are all the idiots out there who bombard these guys with requests to stock their E-Bay stores with practically free merchandise. By charging a nominal amount, these "dealers" will often leave the players alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice! I really dig that Kranepool auto. >>

He signed it in a great place, didn't he! (And he has a real neat handwriting!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>In the overall scheme of things, paying $5 or $10 per auto is still a good deal (compared to what many HOFers charge at private signings/card shows). I am getting every regular Topps/Fleer/Philadlphia/Score card signed for every NFL HOFer and I have no problem paying $5/$10 or even up to $20 per auto to get the card signed. As a matter of fact, I often send $ to the players even if they doesn't charge...(i.e. Chuck Bednarik, Willie Davis).

What you have to keep in mind are all the idiots out there who bombard these guys with requests to stock their E-Bay stores with practically free merchandise. By charging a nominal amount, these "dealers" will often leave the players alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg ... I respect what you said and I respect the players right to charge for an autograph. What bugs me is when they add all the "FLUFF" to why they are charging. Just tell me "I now charge a $$$ fee for autographs" and leave it at that. JMO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Is that a #5 with Linz's autograph? >>

That's what it looks like to me. I have no idea what it means ... let's see, he played 5 games at 2b for the Yankees in 1962 ... he was intentionally walked 5 times in his career ... but my guess is that it does NOT refer to either of those two items! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! What an AWESOME day I had today as far as auto returns!

Needless to say I was quite impressed by all the above. HOWEVER, I was most impressed by the lovely letter I received from the wife of College HOF Football Player "GEORGE SAVITSKY". I sent him a Topps '55 AA for signature. Can you believe she sent me this letter? WOW ... the Old Timers are AMAZING!!!
    image >>

I'm just now reading through this thread and I simply can not believe how generous Ms. Savitsky's letter is. That truly was the Greatest Generation of Americans. I don't know if this country will ever see the likes of them again. Let's all hope that a scintilla of their selflessness rubbed off on the rest of us.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just now reading through this thread and I simply can not believe how generous Ms. Savitsky's letter is. That truly was the Greatest Generation of Americans. I don't know if this country will ever see the likes of them again. Let's all hope that a scintilla of their selflessness rubbed off on the rest of us. >>

Nathaniel ... if you read further into the thread you will see that she did indeed send me back my card signed! I was amazed by her graciousness. FWIW, I wound up sending a couple of get well cards to Mr. Savitsky.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's a musical note next to Linz's signature.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a musical note next to Linz's signature.

Nick >>

Looking at it again that could very well be! Have you read about that somewhere or just from looking at the pic?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a musical note next to Linz's signature.

Nick >>

Looking at it again that could very well be! Have you read about that somewhere or just from looking at the pic? >>

I'll answer my own question ... GREAT CALL NICK! I just found this on the Internet:

"To this day, Phil carries a harmonica with him at all times, and signs his autograph accompanied by a musical note."

PS If you never read the story about Mantle, Berra and Phil (playing the harmonica) on the team bus, Click here to read it! VERY FUNNY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well, I received five responses today. One negative and four positive.

First up was from Carlton Fisk. He returned both my cards unsigned with the following card explaining that
    he requires a donation to a Cancer Support Center for each auto. Nothing wrong with that:

Next up is one to add to my 1982 Donruss Collection:
    MARK BROUHARD

The next three are all from the '65 Set. A friend of mine supplied me with duplicates of about 100 cards from
    this set and I am sending out the cards to be signed. One for each of us.
    JC MARTIN

DICK GROAT

LARRY MILLER
    I asked Mr. Miller how he enjoyed playing for the Mets and this was his response, verbatim:
    METS FANS WERE FABULOUS! THE METS FRONT OFFICE WAS TERRIBLE!

THANKS FOR THE AUTOS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Good catch on the musical note Nick.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I asked Mr. Miller how he enjoyed playing for the Mets and this was his response, verbatim:
    METS FANS WERE FABULOUS! THE METS FRONT OFFICE WAS TERRIBLE!
    >>

Doug, Your project has come a long way. I really enjoy seeing the autos and reading the letters you have been getting back. Just wondering how you are saving the cards and displaying them? They going to get slabbed or??

Happy father's day to ya too,
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, Your project has come a long way. I really enjoy seeing the autos and reading the letters you have been getting back. Just wondering how you are saving the cards and displaying them? They going to get slabbed or?? Happy father's day to ya too, Brian >>

Thanks Brian ... I still have them in the CS1s ... I never have displayed any of my cards/packs, even when I had real expensive ones ... but I do take them out to look at every so often. For the most part I don't think it's worth getting the common ones slabbed ... $20 plus shipping is a bit steep, IMO. I thought about getting some of the better ones slabbed, but then the prices really get a bit crazy ... $75 plus shipping to get my Muhammad Ali autographed card slabbed ... even if you are going to sell, PSA/DNA becomes your partner!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great cards and i think charging a nominal fee like $10 or so is great and a donation is even better. it will keep the riff-raff away
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Great stuff once again Doug!
  • Options
    WOW ... SIX new autos today, all 1965 cards that I am getting autographed for a friend and me.
    ED CHARLES

JERRY BUCHEK

MANNY MOTA

DANNY CATER

BILL VIRDON

DENNIS RIBANT and his response to me
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Great stuff Doug, I didn't realize until I had mailed out my request that Bill Virdon only lives about 10 miles from me.
  • Options

<< <i>Great stuff Doug, I didn't realize until I had mailed out my request that Bill Virdon only lives about 10 miles from me. >>

Thanks Doran ... I found out that a few players I mailed to were nearby as well!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Jon,

PM sent with address you requested.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received back one auto today. This LONG TIME Pirates Pitcher played his first 15 years with the Pirates.
    His last year was split between the Yankees and the Mets. He started 477 games for the Pirates and FINISHED 161 of them.
    YUP ... almost 34% of his starts were COMPLETE GAMES! He won 191 games for Pittsburgh ... but also lost 218 for them!

BOB FRIEND
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received back three autos today ... all for my 1982 Donruss Set.

First man up needs NO introduction:

LEE ARTHUR SMITH

Barry Bonnell

KEITH DRUMRIGHT (Thought it was going to be a hard one, considering two of the bigger auto card sellers wanted
    between $7.00 - $9.00 for this card!)

THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well ... it's been almost two WEEKS since I have sent out requests ... I am hoping that I can get out quite a few in the next week or else the returns will begin to DRIBBLE in, at best!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Care to share the Lee Smith addy and what the fee was?
    Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

PM Sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    One more to add to my 1982 Donruss Set:

RODNEY SCOTT
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Very happy with today's returns, as I received back signed cards from one of my
    all-time favorite Quarterbacks:

PHIL SIMMS

Also received a signed card back from
    DICK BOSMAN

THANK YOU GUYS!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff!

Barry Bonnell writes like a girl.