Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Cory ... I thought it looked real good too!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Today was a nice day as far as returns were concerned. Three positives and one negative.
    On March 23, 2009 I sent a request and a card to Vida Blue. Here is what I got back today:

On March 27, 2009 I sent a card to Mr. Bob Addis for signature. In addition to the following, he also told me that Warren Spahn was the best player he ever played with and Willie Mays was the best he ever played against. Thank You Mr. Addis.

Next up is NY YANKEE catcher Rick Cerone. THANKS Rick! Request was sent out on March 27, 2009 and here is the result:

Last but not least, one of the premier quarterbacks from Notre Dame. MR JOHNNY LUJACK. I mailed a request to sign my card on March 25, 2009 and here is the result. THANK YOU MR. LUJACK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Doug on your recent TTM's. I really like the Al Downings u got signed. He was actually one of the first pitchers I ever saw in person towards the end of his career.

I wonder if he'd sign a picture of him pitching to Hank Aaron when he gave up the 715th HR. lol

I will be very interested to see what Al Downing says in the book about his Dodgers days.

Great stuff Doug!

• Options
    Thanks Brian. When I was a kid I always enjoyed Al Downing when he pitched for the Yankees. Seemed like a true competitor.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    OOOO la la Cerone! That was a chant I remember when Cerone would hit a HR. Obviously that chant didnt happen very often LOL
  • Options

<< <i>OOOO la la Cerone! That was a chant I remember when Cerone would hit a HR. Obviously that chant didnt happen very often LOL >>

The MOST it could have happened was 59 times! And 14 of them were in one season!!!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Better an autopen than a cigar! image
  • Options

<< <i>Better an autopen than a cigar! image >>

AGREED! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Go Lujack! Nice one, an ND Heisman winner.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Received back one today. On March 23, 2009 I sent out a request to Dave Bergman asking him to autograph my '82 Donruss card. Here is the result:
    THANK YOU MR. BERGMAN!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you get that small package I sent you? >>

Yes I did sir, many thanks for the minty PSA hockey card. I replied about it in another thread.

Great to see so much success you are having!! I guess the TTM BUG really got you image

I just started to my endeavor of an 86 Fleer BK set. Cedric Maxwell kicked it off!
  • Options

<< <i>Great to see so much success you are having!! I guess the TTM BUG really got you image >>

DAMN! IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO ADDICTING! IF I DON'T GET AT LEAST 5 CARDS OUT EACH DAY I GO THRU WITHDRAWALS! LOL HAD A REAL NICE GROUP OF RETURNS TODAY. WILL POST LATER ON.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    WOW! What an AWESOME day I had today as far as auto returns!
    First up is from Yankee catcher Jake Gibbs. Not only did he sign the '66 card and the index card, but he sent a signed postcard from 1971 as well. THANKS JAKE!

Next up was NY YANKEE outfielder Hector Lopez. Thank you Mr. Lopez.

Mr. Bump Wills responded with an addition to my 82 Donruss Quest. THANKS BUMP.

Next up was from Mr. Marty Marion, who will be 92 years old on December 1. THANK YOU SIR!

HOF Hockey Player Fern Flaman returned my card with a note. Here it is. I can understand how he feels.

I sent two requests to President Jimmy Carter since I had two addresses. Although he would not sign the index cards, he did send me the following. I verified with Mike Navarro that the autograph on the peel and stick label is LEGIT! I was quite happy with this. THANK YOU PRESIDENT CARTER!(The signature on the White House Business Card is a facsimile.)

Needless to say I was quite impressed by all the above. HOWEVER, I was most impressed by the lovely letter I received from the wife of College HOF Football Player "GEORGE SAVITSKY". I sent him a Topps '55 AA for signature. Can you believe she sent me this letter? WOW ... the Old Timers are AMAZING!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Great Job Doug!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Brian ... it's really a lot of fun ... time consuming as well, as I send personal hand written letters with each request.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about Savistky. I had a recent success with him for my '48 Leaf set. What is amazing is the women that these men married. I've received a couple of letters back from wives and they're always the nicest people and regardless of the trials and tribulations they must be enduring (usually the replies are when the spouse is ill), they are polite and apologetic. Seriously, I feel I should be apologizing for the inconvenience at such a difficult time.

Keep up the great work, Doug and good luck with your collection!
  • Options
    Scott ... that was exactly how I felt when I read Mrs. Savitsky's letter!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Jake Gibbs is great. As an Ole Miss alumnus I can only say that Jake is a wonderful man. I have only heard great things from those who have meet him. I have not yet had the chance, but hope to catch up with him someday soon at a home football game. Glad to see he is still keeping in touch with fans.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Tuesday April 7 brought NOTHING new from the mailman ... other than a "Return To Sender" that I sent to John Elway at the following address: 13644 East Dove Valley, Engelwood, CA 80112.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Tuesday April 7 brought NOTHING new from the mailman ... other than a "Return To Sender" that I sent to John Elway at the following address: 13644 East Dove Valley, Engelwood, CA 80112. >>

That should be , CO for Colorado....Did you let it go out with a CA?

brian
  • Options

<< <i>That should be , CO for Colorado....Did you let it go out with a CA?

brian >>

Brian ... THAT'S THE REASON! I went back to STARTIGER.COM and looked it up again ... they have friggin CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well ... I resent it earlier today c/o his foundation.

THANKS for watching out for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two positive responses today from gentlemen well respected in their sport.

First up is from Boog Powell. Sent my request on 03/14/09. Thank you Mr. Powell.

Next up is from a former member of the Ohio St National Championship team from 1957 ... three time Pro Bowler from '65-'67 and current defensive coordinator for the Steelers ... defensive genius DICK LEBEAU. His answer was in response to my question about his best memory from playing/coaching football.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Lots of great stuff here, Doug. Congrats!

• Options

<< <i>Lots of great stuff here, Doug. Congrats! >>

THANKS! It's a lot of fun ... time consuming, but fun!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Love reading about your successes - keep up the great work

• Options
    Thank you ZEP!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Love those signed 69FB Doug. Hope you have more that you sent out!!
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Doug, great results! Congrats!!

now not to hijack your thread, but I think Brian's sig pics are batting .400 so far... image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug

That's a great card with the Boog auto! Wow.

Good job - thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    On March 26, 2009 I sent out a request to former Yankee from the 60's, Mr. Roger Repoz. Here is the result. Thank you Mr. Repoz!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    On April 4, 2009 I sent a request to Les Josephson, a former running back with the LA RAMS who later became an actor. He was nice enough to autograph the card as well as respond to a few questions that I asked him. THANK YOU MR. JOSEPHSON. Just noticed I left the "Y" off healthy! That's what happens when you write letters at 2:00 in the morning! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Hey Doug. I've enjoyed seeing the autographs and the notes you get back from former players. I like the identity theft comment by Mr. Josephson, I guess you can never feel too safe these days. I was doing a story on a Mount Vernon Washington Babe Ruth team last year and a older gentleman pointed to a building way beyond the right field fence. He said Roger Repoz hit that building one summer while playing on a semi-pro team back in the day. I see the passion in your thread. Very cool. Doug
  • Options
    Thanks Doug. Pretty KEWL story about Repoz. Shows you that even the guys that don't make a big impression in MLB are SO much better than most anyone we have ever played with.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well, today I received back four autos in the mail. The signatures did not come out real nice on all of them, but it's still an autograph!
    First up is from former Saints running back, Tony Lorick. Thanks Mr. Lorick!

Next up is from Ed Farmer ... another to add to my quest of completing the entire 1982 Donruss Set

The third one is from a young running back on the Green Bay Packers ... Brandon Jackson

The final one is not from an athlete, but rather from arguably one of the best actors to grace the screen. Thank you Mr. Al Pacino.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Pacino is a secretary
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>Pacino is a secretary >>

Are you sure? Someone told me it looked good ... they said he has SO MANY DIFFERENT ways that he signs his name.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    This is a legit Pacino that I got when doing a sound mix at the same mix stage as him - for comparison...

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug- did you prep that Jackson? looks like you didn't. For new (IE glossy) cards, they must be prepped or sharpie won't take well.

this should help.

Johnhow to prep cards
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    John ... thank you very much. I never heard of that ... in addition to being new to TTM, I VERY SELDOM send out newer cards. I will do the baby powder thingy on the next one. (I THINK I have 1 or 2 "glossy" cards out there.) Oh well ... I won't be disappointed when they come back crappy! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pacino is a secretary >>

Are you sure? Someone told me it looked good ... they said he has SO MANY DIFFERENT ways that he signs his name. >>

No, one can never be sure, but its pretty much understood amongst the main celeb auto sites

His IPs are like this

Do you really think he would sit around signing like this TTM?

Plus, look at the writing in the big picture someone posted above.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    alifax ... thanks for your input ... Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I thought I would chime in with my TTMs that I got today. I bought these raw from Cwazzy, and sent them to the Newk. One week later, these beautiful sigs came in the mail. Well worth the $20 I sent Mr. Newcombe!

How do I put the picture in the post, instead of as a jpg attachment! Help!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Those Newcomb's used to be mine.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Received back two autographs today.
    On April 3, 2009 I sent a request to Mr. Jack Harshman. Nice auto from the 81 year old Mr. Harshman. THANK YOU!

Next up is the result from my request of April 4, 2009. Thank you Mr. Beathard.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Mike (VitoCo),

Just picked up about 75 '69 football cards. (Needed a few for my set and about a dozen I used for upgrades.) Going to go thru StarTiger later tonight and see what addys I can get. Whatever ones I can get will be going out within the next week.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    glad to hear it D, keep up the good work!!
  • Options
    Mike,

Just went thru 79 different 69s that I had. I found addresses (I'll find out soon enough if they are good or not) for 43 of them. The other 36 players were either deceased or no address was available. They should all be in the mail by Saturday.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two returns today. One positive and one negative.

First up is from former Yankee and soon to be 85 year old Jerry Coleman. The following is the result of my March 16, 2009 request to Mr. Coleman. He not only signed the '52 card and the index card, but answered my questions as to the best players he ever played with and against. Not too sure where Bobby Brown comes in, unless there was another question that I included in my letter to him. Thanks Mr. Coleman.

Next up was the result of my TTM request to Felix Mantilla on March 30, 2009. Sorry Mr. Mantilla, not putting together a '59 autographed set, so I will pass on paying for your autograph.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Only one back today. This request was sent to Mr. John Martin on April 9, 2009. Another one for my '82 set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nice Coleman 52' Auto! Keep 'em coming!