Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Only one response today, but it was from a former NY Jet that I watched play as a kid ... he was on the '69 Super Bowl Team ... I wish every player would sign as neatly as this guy. It was also very nice of him to include a short note. The request was mailed to Emerson on April 27, 2009. THANKS MR. BOOZER!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Doug,

I have a 1982 donruss HOFer auto for you...... I just got it in person from Jim P. at Morton's steakhouse in DC. He was doing an event for the local ESPN affiliate. He told some great stories too.

Thanks for the picture help, Oaksey!!!!

B

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    That Boozer signature is great!
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,

I have a 1982 donruss HOFer auto for you.
    image >>

Brian ... PM sent with a choice of 1 of 2 cards for your collection.

THANKS AGAIN! Looks nice and can't wait to get it in hand!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Today was a nice day for returns.
    First up was a gritty ballplayer for the Orioles and Angels.
    I sent out the request to Mr. Grich on 04/29/09.

The next three requests were all sent out on 04/20/09.
    All three from the 1969 Topps Football Set.
    ED MEADOR

JIM DUNAWAY

ED SHAROCKMAN

THANKS GUYS FOR SIGNING THE CARDS.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MANY THANKS go out to the following three athletes who were kind enough to sign the cards I sent them thru the mail.

First up is all time hockey great, Hall of Famer, BOBBY CLARKE.

Next up is NFL Hall of Famer, DAVE WILCOX.

Last but not least, BILL NELSEN to add to my '69 FB Set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two autographed cards from the '69 FB set returned today.

WILLIS CRENSHAW & CRAIG BAYNHAM
    THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Another nice day for returns. I received one baseball and three FB from the '69 Topps Set.

First up ... Mr. Jim Rivera ... signed the Index Card as well.

Next up ... A man who threw for almost 28,000 yards and had 180+ TD passes.

Bob Cappadona and Vince Promuto
    Thanks gentlemen for the autographs!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    These guys from the '69 FB set are really amazing. I'm really getting tempted to buy a few more lots to send out or even start using the cards from my set (I need ~20 more cards to complete the set) for TTMs. But that '82 Donruss set is so big and I know it will take me years to complete. Ah, what the heck ... I might as well go for the two sets!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    More great cards Doug, you must have sent out a ton of requests!
  • Options
    Doran,

From the date I started (March 14, 2009) thru today (May 11, 2009), I have sent out 272 requests.

83 came back signed.
    05 came back asking for $$$.
    02 came back auto penned (both ex-Presidents).
    05 came back Return to Sender.
    03 came back with card unsigned but sent back their own item signed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well ... I was THRILLED when I opened my returns today. Three real nice autos, in my opinion.

First up was a real crazy guy on the mound. None other than AL HRABOSKY.

Next up was a great player who always seemed to be a fan favorite: MR. ANDRE DAWSON.

Last, but certainly not least, THE GREAT ONE:WAYNE GRETZKY.

I am psyched with these results. Thanks to all three gentlemen for their autographs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Great autographs but sorry to tell you that the Gretzky is an autopen.
  • Options

<< <i>Great autographs but sorry to tell you that the Gretzky is an autopen. >>

THRILL ... I was just going to start a thread and ask that question. I looked at another that I received and it looked as though the sigs were EXACT. Kinda gets me a little POed when guys use the autopen ... don't do anything! Just send the cards back with a note that you are too busy to sign.

Anyway, hoping tomorrow brings some nice ones.

Out of the ~100 returns, this is the first auto pen that I received from an athlete. Pres Clinton and Pres Bush (daddy) also sent auto penned sigs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
  • Options
    Just one return today. Another to add to my 1982 Donruss Set.
    THANKS MR. REUSCHEL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    it's a safe bet that the very top couple athletes from every sport aren't worth sending to.

Jordan
    Bird
    Magic
    Lebron
    Kobe

Gretzky

Favre
    Marino
    Elway
    Montana

etc
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>it's a safe bet that the very top couple athletes from every sport aren't worth sending to.
    Jordan
    Bird
    Magic
    Lebron
    Kobe
    Gretzky
    Favre
    Marino
    Elway
    Montana
    etc >>

You are probably right. I do have requests out to Elway and Marino ... let's see what happens with those!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    You have a nice collection started there Doug!
  • Options
    Doug,

A little bummed that my streak was broken today. I had at least one return every mail day since April 30....nothing today...
    volpe cups, oddball Topps issues
  • Options
    Elway will be an autopen as well if you get it back.
  • Options

<< <i>You have a nice collection started there Doug! >>

Thanks Thrill ... so far the returns have been quite successful.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AWESOME day for returns with one exception.
    This guy returned my card asking for $10.00 per auto:

BILL BUCKNER

Next is an addition to my '69 FB set:
    JERRY SIMMONS

Another addition to my '69 FB set ... The 1966 Rookie of the Year:
    TOMMY NOBIS
    I asked Mr. Nobis if being #1 with Texas in college in 1963 or NFL ROY in '66 meant more.
    He stated that being #1 with Texas meant more to him.

Last but not least are TWO additions to my 1982 Donruss set.
    I was THRILLED that he signed them both and sent them back so quickly.
    Who is this guy? None other than "The Hit King" himself.
    MR. PETE ROSE

A REAL BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO THESE THREE MEN!
    EDITED TO ADD: Pete Rose took only 13 days door to door across the country!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Did you pay for Rose, Doug? I wouldn't think he would sign for free, but they don't look like autopens either...secretarial?
  • Options

<< <i>Did you pay for Rose, Doug? I wouldn't think he would sign for free, but they don't look like autopens either...secretarial? >>

Mike, only sent him a personalized letter ... no money. Not autopens and they look very similar to autos that I have seen in PSA/DNA slabs. Take a look at Mike Navarro's thread ... it looks good to me. MAYBE sending personalized letters helps once in a while? Who knows.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I got rose in person a year or so ago, and Doug's sigs look identical to mine.

B
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,

A little bummed that my streak was broken today. I had at least one return every mail day since April 30....nothing today... >>

Racy ... Isn't it funny how excited you are to receive the mail every day? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    congratulations on Rose, that is quite a TTM success!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>congratulations on Rose, that is quite a TTM success! >>

Thanks Schmitty ... I was quite surprised when I opened the envelope!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well ... today's results were not as exciting as yesterday's, but nice just as well:

NFL HOFer, CHARLIE SANDERS

ERNIE BROGLIO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received back two autographs today.
    First up is JAY JOHNSTONE

Next up is NFLer RICK REDMAN

THANKS GENTLEMEN!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    So what is "The Jay Johnstone Story" anyway?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Doug,

Have you had any success with TTM's to players outside of the U.S.? I sent out my first one today....Hector Cruz, Puerto Rico. I'll let you know if I get a return since he is in 82 Donruss. I received Champ Summers, Geoff Combe, Bill Laskey, Sal Butera, Frank Pastore, Lee Elia, and Del Unser today.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,

Have you had any success with TTM's to players outside of the U.S.? I sent out my first one today....Hector Cruz, Puerto Rico. I'll let you know if I get a return since he is in 82 Donruss. I received Champ Summers, Geoff Combe, Bill Laskey, Sal Butera, Frank Pastore, Lee Elia, and Del Unser today. >>

Racy ... never tried o/s USA until the other day ... sent a rookie card to Mike Bossy in Canada.

For Hector Cruz, did you use the PO Box in Arroyo?

The 7 you got back today ... were any '82 Donruss?

GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Champ Summers was an 82 Donruss
  • Options
    oh, and yes....used the PO Box in Arroyo
  • Options
    It's been a slow last few days for returns. Received one back today.
    I believe he was a fan favorite of the CUBBIES fans back in the day.
    He was a hard working reliable second baseman in the 60s and 70s.
    GLENN BECKERT
    THANK YOU MR. BECKERT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Three positives and one negative in today's results:

DENIS MENKE

RICK CERONE- Another to add to my '82 Donruss Set

GEORGE ALTMAN - He kept the extra '62 Post Card that I sent to him and thanked me for it.
    He then sent me back his own Japanese card.

I also sent a card to Gene Tenace. On the letter I sent to him were the words
    "OUT OF THE COUNTRY" and it was returned, along with the card, in my SASE.

Thanks guys for the positive results!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two more autos today. First up is from a gentleman who played the first 11 years of his 15 year career with the Houston organization. He was a power hitting hard working outfielder in the 60s and 70s.
    JIM WYNN

Next up is a man who was a lot better known for his managerial skills than for his skills as a ballplayer. He has frequently said "Baseball has been very good to me ever since I gave up trying to play it!"
    WHITEY HERZOG

MUCH THANKS FOR THE AUTOS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received back two cards autographed by the players. The first is one of my all time favorite hockey players (I have not been a hockey fan since the early 90s) ... he won FOUR consecutive Cups with the Islanders (I used to live down the block from the Coliseum and went to a lot of games in the 70s and 80s) ... then played with the Penguins where he won two more consecutive cups. Hall of Famer:
    BRYAN TROTTIER

The next card is a nice addition to my '82 Donruss Set:
    LARRY CHRISTENSON

THANKS GUYS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    What an AWESOME day! One negative and FIVE positives! I will leave the best for last.

First the Negative. Mr. Torrez returned my card and stated he charges $5.00/auto:

Next up is a first round draft pick from 1963 by both the AFL and NFL:
    KERMIT ALEXANDER

This guy was one of the best pass blockers in the NFL in the late 60s:
    WALT SUGGS

Next is one of the Leaders from the good A's teams of the early 70s:
    SAL BANDO

This guy had one of the funnier nicknames back in the day:
    WALT "NO NECK" WILLIAMS

Last but not least, one of the BEST Basketball players of all time:
    MR. KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR
    Now comes the ballsy move: I want to get both Jerry West and Elvin Hayes to sign. I have addresses for both of them, but does not seem like they have been signing much lately (does anyone know their current signing habits?) I'll probably be sending the card off later this week and HOPE HOPE HOPE that I eventually get it back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug,

What are the odds that we both get replies from Walt Suggs on the same day...he signed a 70 Topps for me, and I also received a Bando reply last week. Today I also received Billy Neighbors (60's Dolphin), Tom Veryzer, Brian Brennan, Jeff Gray, Mike Heath, Jim O'Toole, and Chris Hammond. This makes my walk to the Post Office much more enjoyable.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug What are the odds that we both get replies from Walt Suggs on the same day...he signed a 70 Topps for me, and I also received a Bando reply last week. Today I also received Billy Neighbors (60's Dolphin), Tom Veryzer, Brian Brennan, Jeff Gray, Mike Heath, Jim O'Toole, and Chris Hammond. This makes my walk to the Post Office much more enjoyable. >>

Nice replys! Suggs may be one of those guys that signs one per week and sends them back all at once.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    For the couple of you that asked for a larger scan:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Don't resend that Abdul-Jabbar card.West rarely signs anymore.Wait for a show and have it done.
    Mike
  • Options
    More great returns Doug, I need to update my thread tonight.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    Nice to see Kareem still signing. He was sending out postcards awhile back saying no more TTM. I got him on two cards as well.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Mike, I'll have to seriously consider your advice ... wouldn't be upset if West didn't sign TTM as long as I got my card back in the same condition ... IF it "got lost" then I'd be a bit pissed. lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Wow I thought Jabbar was all done too!!

Super sweet returns Doug!!!!

Would it be askin too much to PM me Jabbar's addy?

Would love to get an 86 Fleer card signed

Keep up the great work image

• Options

<< <i>image

Wow I thought Jabbar was all done too!!

Super sweet returns Doug!!!!

Would it be askin too much to PM me Jabbar's addy?

Would love to get an 86 Fleer card signed

Keep up the great work image

image >>

People had success sending stuff to him c/o the Lakers