Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice Coleman 52' Auto! Keep 'em coming! >>

THANKS! He was a great signer. Hoping for more returns tomorrow!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WOW! What an AWESOME day for returns!

First up is the result of my March 30, 2009 request to one of the best to ever roam centerfield ... Mr. Paul Blair.

Next are two cards to add to my goal of completing the '82 DR set: Both requests were sent on April 9, 2009. Thanks to Mr. Ford and Mr. Moore for the quick turn around!

Following is the result of my request of April 8, 2009 to Dave Kingman. I sent him the two cards that are in the '82 set. The DK came back signed and the regular issue unsigned. Thanks for the signature Mr. Kingman.I will try the regular issue at another time

Last but not least is another to add to my '82 set. I sent the request out on April 8, 2009 to a player who spent parts of 19 years in MLB. He was always a good hard working ballplayer ... and now is the VP of MLB. Very nice to send me three autographs! THANKS go out to Mr. Watson!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Just got back from the PO ... sent out 28 requests ... all 1969 Football.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Not a good day from the mailman. All I received was this insert from Phil Niekro. Thanks for nothing Phil! Did you become grouchy too when you turned 70? LOL

I also sent out another 15 requests for 1969 Football today.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather Niekro charge a nominal amount like that and become a reliable signer than the way he used to be hit/miss with the freebies. It only took me two tries to get a rookie card signed, but I know people that claim that they wrote him 12 times and still haven't gotten a signature. At least if he's charging $10.00 per card, hopefully he'll sign them and turn them around. Not a bad price compared to some of them.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Mike,

You are right, it's not a lot to charge and he has every right to charge what he wants. It's just that all of a sudden, at age 70, you want to start charging your fans? I'm not looking to debate the issue as I do agree that he has the right to charge a fee. I was just turned off by the way he wrote it. "Due to the increase in requests" ... hey ... you don't need an excuse .... if you want to charge just say you will not sign without getting paid for it. Oh well ... still MANY others out there who sign for free.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    He was a reclusive signer - you'd get your requests marked up RTS or not answered.

It was miserable how this guy would sign for others but not for you.

Now, he's gotten 'organized' made it easier all around to get his autograph TTM.

I would just pay up and look for other freebies/handout autographs TTM.

<< <i>Mike,

You are right, it's not a lot to charge and he has every right to charge what he wants. It's just that all of a sudden, at age 70, you want to start charging your fans? I'm not looking to debate the issue as I do agree that he has the right to charge a fee. I was just turned off by the way he wrote it. "Due to the increase in requests" ... hey ... you don't need an excuse .... if you want to charge just say you will not sign without getting paid for it. Oh well ... still MANY others out there who sign for free. >>

• Options
    "Jersey's" is plural. Tell Phil there's no need for the apostrophe. Could also use a comma in there, as well.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Well ... today I received back my TTM request unsigned form Sparky Anderson. HOWEVER, he was kind enough to send the following card, which he signed. No, it doesn't help my '82 Donruss set, but at least I have his auto. This, I believe, was a much nicer reply than I received from Phil Niekro yesterday.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    You really seem to take a lot of this personal, as if these men should just give up their free time to sign unsolicited requests for autographs. It's well within their right to charge, as you are asking for a service from them that has potential resale value.
    As for Anderson, there have been numerous threads and articles about him ceasing to sign TTM, it's been for the last two months or so. People have been bombarding him in the past year or so as they look to get a freebie from a HOF'er.
  • Options

<< <i>You really seem to take a lot of this personal, as if these men should just give up their free time to sign unsolicited requests for autographs. It's well within their right to charge, as you are asking for a service from them that has potential resale value.
    As for Anderson, there have been numerous threads and articles about him ceasing to sign TTM, it's been for the last two months or so. People have been bombarding him in the past year or so as they look to get a freebie from a HOF'er. >>

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? READ MY RESPONSE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I STATED THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    You started off your first message about Niekro saying "Thanks for nothing" .. and then you go on to say that you were unhappy with how he worded it "due to the increase in requests". Well of course with the increase in requests guys are going to start charging. Time is money. Dick Williams and Goose Gossage got flooded with mail after they were inducted and went from signing for free to charging. After the older ones pass on (Bobby Doerr, Robin Roberts, etc.) I doubt we will see a HOF'er who will sign for free after they get inducted TTM.

<< <i>

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? READ MY RESPONSE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I STATED THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

• Options

<< <i>You started off your first message about Niekro saying "Thanks for nothing" .. and then you go on to say that you were unhappy with how he worded it "due to the increase in requests". Well of course with the increase in requests guys are going to start charging. Time is money. Dick Williams and Goose Gossage got flooded with mail after they were inducted and went from signing for free to charging. After the older ones pass on (Bobby Doerr, Robin Roberts, etc.) I doubt we will see a HOF'er who will sign for free after they get inducted TTM.

<< <i>

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? READ MY RESPONSE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I STATED THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

>>

OK ... you have gotten your point across ... PEACE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Today I received back two envelopes from my TTM requests. The first one was from a guy who had a decent career, Amos Otis. HOWEVER, all I got back was my unsigned card and a message on the other side of the letter I wrote to him stating that he gets $5.00 per auto.Sorry Metrotheme, but I'm not paying for his auto either! LOL

Next up is from a running back who won the HEISMAN AWARD 27 years ago. DAMN! I can't believe it's been that long ... YES, I AM getting old! LOL
    THANK YOU MR. WALKER!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I sure hope these players who are charging cash fees like this are claiming them on their taxes. I thought that was the reason many players sign TTM if you make a donation to their charity...
  • Options

<< <i>I sure hope these players who are charging cash fees like this are claiming them on their taxes. I thought that was the reason many players sign TTM if you make a donation to their charity... >>

HAHAHAHAHA I'm sure they ALL claim the $$$$. HAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    WOW! Where so I begin? The mailman brought me NINE TTM auto request returns today! I was like a little kid when I was opening the envelopes! LOL

First up is an addition to my '82 Donruss set. I sent out a request on March 20, 2009 to Juan Berenguer and below is the result. THANKS Mr. Berenguer.

Next is Hall of fame catcher, ex-Met and now coach of the Long Island Ducks (a minor league team a few miles away from my house ... Bud Harrelson is part owner) GARY CARTER. He sent back a postcard stating that you must donate $25.00 to his foundation to get your card autographed, but he did send back an original autographed picture ... the same one he has been sending out for years. THANKS for the picture Gary.

On April 17, 2009 I sent out quite a few requests from the 1969 Football set. Following are the results of FIVE of those requests. Thanks to Mr. Bull, Richter, Morrall, Little and Shivers.
    RON BULL

PAT RICHTER

EARL MORRALL

FLOYD LITTLE - 2 CARDS

ROY SHIVERS

On April 18, 2009 I sent out these two, in addition to about a dozen others:
    LENNY LYLES

CARROLL DALE

Lenny Lyles, Pat Richter and Ron Bull also sent back my letter to them and answered the question I asked of them. Lenny Lyles also sent a signed Tri-Fold brochure about his life from childhood to the present.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THESE MEN WHO TOOK TIME OUT OF THEIR DAY TO AUTOGRAPH THEIR CARD (PLUS MORE) FOR ME

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    To answer those couple of PMs: NO, I am not looking to sell these cards. They are for my personal collection. I may be willing to trade if you have something I need. THANKS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    More great looking autos Doug!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Very nice mail day. TTM makes autograph collecting a lot of fun. You never know what to expect each day in the mal, but it gives you something to look forward to everyday the mail runs.

Congrats on your successes so far.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Thanks Doran and Mike. Today was an awesome return day as well, as I received SIX positive responses. Going for a run and then have some yard work to do. I will post the cards later today.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great job Doug, That's a bummer Sparky isn't signing anymore. He's one of my favorites and I had a nice minty 78 I was going to send to him. Also glad to hear you aren't looking to sell any of the cards. I personally don't feel we should get FREE TTM's and sell them. BTW Doug I added a couple of nice PSA 8 rookie cards to my collection.

Keep em coming.

brian
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    HAHA He DOES look like Richard Pryor!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Doug, you are a MAD Man!!!

I envy your free time and devotion image

It all looks well worth it. Must be a great feeling getting more than just a

sig in return image some great responses there?

• Options
    The mailman was once again my friend today! SIX positive responses.

First up is one to add to my '82 Donruss set ... Mr. Moose Haas

Next is an old time Yankee, Ruben Amaro. He signed both cards, the ic and the letter I sent him.

The next four are all from the 1969 Football Set. The responses from the players from this set have been TERRIFIC!
    FIRST UP IS LOU MICHAELS. HE ALSO WROTE A NICE RESPONSE TO ONE OF MY QUESTIONS TO HIM.

DAN GRIMM

ROY HILTON

and EARL GROS, who signed both cards I sent to him.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN TO ALL SIX OF THESE ATHLETES FOR TAKING TIME OUT OF THEIR DAY AND SIGNING MY CARDS

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    The athletes from the '69 FB set have been GREAT with the auto requests. If it keeps up I may start sending out the cards from my set and not just the duplicates.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Three returns in today's mail and all were positive. All three came from the '69 FB set and all were damn good players!

NICK BUONICONTI - I sent the request on April 18, 2009

JACK PARDEE - I sent the request on April 20, 2009

WENDELL HAYES - I sent the request on April 20, 2009
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    WOW! These guys from the '69 FB set have been AWESOME signers! Three more came back today, all from this set.

GOLDIE SELLERS ... I mailed the request April 17, 2009.

BRUCE GOSSETT ... This request was also sent on April 17, 2009.

WAYNE WALKER ... Sent this request on April 20, 2009.

THANKS SO MUCH TO THESE THREE ATHLETES FOR SIGNING MY CARDS
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I'm REALLY going to have to take a look at the other cards in the '69 set and see if most of the players are available to sign. Have had such good luck with that set to date.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well ... NO returns today. However, I did mail 13 '82 Donruss requests today. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some nice returns.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    cool '69s signed Doug. Go after it. If you can get half the '69 guys to sign (doable I'm sure), and the other half unsigned, that would be a killer set.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    TWO successful returns today. First up ... GEORGE SAVITSKY ... College Football Hall of Famer. If you look at my post of April 6, 2009 there is a letter from Mr. Savitsky's wife apologizing for George not signing right away ... he was in the hospital with Pneumonia. Well, I guess he was feeling better (and hopefully out of the hospital) and here is what he sent!

Next up is Larry Stallings ... ANOTHER success from the '69 Set.

Thanks go out to both these gentlemen for their signatures.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    69 Topps FB is like 61 Fleer BKB...just an awesome set. Great continued success Doug. And that's good to hear that Savitsky is recovering. I believe he's up there on the Oldest Living FB player list.
  • Options

<< <i>69 Topps FB is like 61 Fleer BKB...just an awesome set. Great continued success Doug. And that's good to hear that Savitsky is recovering. I believe he's up there on the Oldest Living FB player list. >>

THANKS MIKE! Mr Savitsky will be 85 on July 30.

Edited to add: I just looked it up ... he is the 185th oldest living pro football player
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Reading your posts have motivated me to start sending out requests. I have sent out 36 over the past week, and received my first two autographs today. Do you use Startiger?
    volpe cups, oddball Topps issues
  • Options

<< <i>Reading your posts have motivated me to start sending out requests. I have sent out 36 over the past week, and received my first two autographs today. Do you use Startiger? >>

Yes Racy I do. I have only been doing this again for about 1.5 months ... IT IS SO FRIGGIN ADDICTING! Yes, it takes a lot of time, but it is so much fun.

Since March 14, 2009 I have sent out 221 requests!

GOOD LUCK ... and post your results!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Saw this:

<< <i>First up is one to add to my '82 Donruss set ... Mr. Moose Haas >>

and instantly though of this:
    Bob Keeshan as Captain Kangaroo, seen here with Mr. Moose.
  • Options
    Two more successes from the 1969 Football Set. The request to Mr. Davis was sent on 04/17/09 and the request to Mr. Glass was sent on 04/18/09. THANK YOU gentlemen for your time
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Sent out another 18 requests today. Hoping the mailman brings me a few nice autos tomorrow.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Two more autos in today's mail from two pretty famous guys. They did not charge anything!

First up is from one of the great Quarterbacks of the NFL. Led his team to victory in SB VII.
    MR. BOB GRIESE

Next up is from a famous baseball player who only had a .200 lifetime batting average (technically his average was .199726402). Most of us know him as an award-winning sportscaster, comedian, actor and the voice of the Brewers for 38 years ... none other than Mr. Bob "I must be in the front row" Uecker.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. GRIESE & MR. UECKER.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very nice pair of Bobs you've got there.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    could that Uecker be a rubber stamp?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I see the bubbling...but man, the rest looks like fine pt Sharpie.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone else get a response recently from Uecker to compare it too (still looks like a rubber stamp to me)?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>anyone else get a response recently from Uecker to compare it too (still looks like a rubber stamp to me)? >>

NOT a rubber stamp. Either a fine point ballpoint pen or fine point sharpie, as Bull mentioned. You can feel the indentation in the card from the signature.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>That's a very nice pair of Bobs you've got there. >>

PLEASE MIKE ... not in front of the rest of the boys! LMFAO!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    More great autos Doug, the Uecker looks like ballpoint to me.
  • Options
    Today I received back autos from three athletes.

First up is the result of my TTM request to Ken Singleton that I sent out on April 13, 2009. Mr. Singleton signed both of his cards from the 1982 Donruss Set.

Next up is from the 1969 Football Set. I mailed a request to Mr. Richardson on April 20, 2009.

The last response is from the 1969 Football set as well. The request to Mr. Walden was mailed on April 27, 2009.

Once again, thank you very much to these three men for signing my cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great job Doug!!!!!! That takes alot of work and dedication to get all of those TTm's I keep seeing getting posted here on these boards.

Thanks again for sharing.

brian