Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Nice!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice! >>

Thanks JR. I wish Doran was still around. I sent him a couple of emails but he did not respond.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    SEPTEMBER 12, 2012

An autographed 1952 Topps Early Wynn is not one that you see available for sale every day. When it does come up it is usually expensive. I was very lucky to pick this up rather cheaply. Although the card is not in good shape, I think the signature is REAL nice. Looks like an older signature as well.

OK. Now for the back. For those of you with weak stomachs ... you have been warned! LOL By far the ugliest one I have from this set. However, it makes me think that this card was signed a LONG time ago and was sitting in some kids scrapbook for decades!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Don't worry, that's the good kind of ugly image
  • Options

<< <i>Don't worry, that's the good kind of ugly image >>

I agree. Thanks!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    nice card Doug, needs red flip "authentic" or PSA 1 IMO
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I love that Wynn, Doug. Great sig!

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Jarrod - Thanks, I think the signature is what made me go after the card.

Ted - I agree. I have been slowly moving any Blue Flips to Red Flips and will continue until they are all in Red Flips. Don't think I have too many left. A classic like the '52 Topps set NEEDS to be in Red Flips.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    If anyone has any 1952 Topps autographed cards that they want to trade (or possibly sell) please send me a PM.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    OCTOBER 6, 2012
    Well, I needed the Garagiola for my set. I saw two on eBay with a BIN/BO. Made offers on both ... and they were both accepted! LOL Oh well, I can use one for trade bait.

imageimage
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I'd like to trade one of these for other 52s that I need. LMK if you are interested.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    October 22, 2012
    Very excited to pick up these two for my set. I got them at VERY GOOD prices. Those of you who collect autographed '52s know these two are not cheap cards, especially the Runnels. I know the cards are not in great shape, but I am still very happy to have them. The cards actually look better in hand than they do here, as these are at least 3xs the size.

PETE RUNNELS

HANK SAUER
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Congrats! That Runnels is definitely a tougher one.
  • Options

Doug

How far along are ya?? What will be the toughest to get,besides
    the mantle you already have?Just went thru last few posts and what a great
    journey you have going.I am so impatient that I never can finish what I start.
    Good luck rest of the way!!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Thanks JR. These two bring me up to 137 cards from the set. I only have one Hi # and that's because I got it at an amazingly low price. I don't think I will be actively going after the Hi #s.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to purchase the expensive star cards from the set. There are others, too, that are very expensive. Many because the players died at a young age. Some of the "Non-Hi numbered commons" that are costly are:

Steve Bilko
    Luke Easter
    George Metkovich
    Erv Palica
    Howie Pollet
    Sherry Robertson
    Harry Simpson
    Eddie Waitkus

How is your '72 set coming along? Hope your wife and son are doing well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Doug

The family is good as ever! My son is about to finish up another outstanding pop-warner season,we have first
    round playoff game next tues.I really enjoyed doing Defense this yr,I will be having another How many sacks did he get
    contest very soon,so lookout for it,I'll give you a hint...More than last yr!

Ahh the 72 set,I can see about 40-50 psa cards sitting on my stand right now I havnt even put in the system
    due to lazinessimage I need something to get me going,I have been selling(well Rick has) way more than I have bought.
    Thats no good.

Do you buy most already slabbed?I am going to copy your list and be on the lookout,I visit an older guy from time to time with
    a collection outta this world,the stories even better,about going to players houses in off-season and knocking on doors getting
    autos! Great stuff I tell ya. Hope your well and your daughter is enjoying college life(not to much though).
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    October 27, 2012
    Once again, I'm very happy to be able to add these three to my '52 Set. The cards are not in the best of shape, but the price was good. The Feller is in pretty good shape although horribly O/C ... nice clear signature.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    The auto on that Feller is great image
  • Options

<< <i>The auto on that Feller is great image >>

Thanks ... I thought he signed it in a great place and the auto itself came out real nice.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    NOVEMBER 13, 2012

This one took only three weeks to get back. I remember trying him a couple of years ago and got no response.
    Thanks Wade!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    To answer the couple of PMs that I received: As of now I am going to keep the Boggs card. Thanks for asking.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Nice Boggs. I need to send to him soon myself.
  • Options
    Just sent (on the 16th) a REGGIE Rookie to his foundation for signature. Hope it comes out nice.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well ...my card made it to Reggie's Foundation in California on the 19th. I heard that he signs pretty quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed for a nice return.

UPDATE ON THE REGGIE AUTO: I also sent in a check in the sum of $40.00, the price he WAS charging.

Received it back today ... unsigned with the following letter:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    DECEMBER 3, 2012
    Another one to add to my '52 set. Again, the card is not in great shape, but it's a nice old time autograph from Mr. Wertz, who died in 1983 ... almost 30 years ago.

I should be getting a tough one in the mail later this week, along with a couple others. Really looking forward to showing them to you guys.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    See Nov 24th for the result of the Reggie request.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    December 6, 2012
    I was really psyched to open up the mail today. I purchase 9 autographed '52 Topps cards. Four of them I needed and the other 5 I will be selling on the B/S/T thread. Adding 5 cards that I need in one week (see the Wertz above from earlier in the week) does not happen frequently.

The condition of the these cards are not good, but the first three have real old time autos on them. I am told they were from the 60s.

The first one is a card I never thought I would be able to add to the set. LOVE the old time auto on this one:

ANDY PAFKO

PREACHER ROE

CLYDE VOLLMER

BOB ADDIS

I was lucky enough to have sold a few items and had some money in my PayPal account when these became available.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    nice job Doug! really making some good progress on the 52's!
  • Options
    Thanks Ted. I was pretty excited to get the Pafko.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I finally got around to sending out a few more TTMs this morning. I hope to start sending them out more frequently, like I used to. It's always fun getting back a hand written note from one of the old timers.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Took a board members advice and sent the Tony Gwynn to his auto dealership in California. Hope that works.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I know it's been said by many of us here to the new people who are getting into TTMs ... if you cannot afford to lose it ... DON'T SEND IT!

I started TTMing in 2009. I just went back over the cards I sent out in 2009 and out of the 671 different people I sent to, 206 NEVER RESPONDED.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with that, Doug. I took a few risks when I first started and I lost sometimes. I wish I had one item back, but that's the way it goes.

Nice job on those 52's. Yes, Steve Bilko is a toughy. I need him for my signed Cardinals. There are 4 high numbers, but I doubt I will ever see one signed. You never know, though.

Shane

• Options
    Interesting stats Doug. I started sending TTM's in April of this year. I have sent out 380 TTM's total. Ive had 5 failures, 270 returns and I still have 105 out there. I hope to get some more out after the new year myself.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting stats Doug. I started sending TTM's in April of this year. I have sent out 380 TTM's total. Ive had 5 failures, 270 returns and I still have 105 out there. I hope to get some more out after the new year myself. >>

Ben, I have been following your thread. Great job. You have some nice returns.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Took a board members advice and sent the Tony Gwynn to his auto dealership in California. Hope that works. >>

Well, the Tony Gwynn came back yesterday "Return to Sender, not at this address".

Maybe I should send it to San Diego State University? Has anyone tried him at the school?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony Gwynn is going to be in Anaheim the second week of January. Here is the website: So Cal Baseball Expo

Is around $70 too much for a Gwynn auto? I have a couple rookies that I would like to get autographed.
  • Options

<< <i>Is around $70 too much for a Gwynn auto? I have a couple rookies that I would like to get autographed. >>

For me it is. I don't usually send out cards for signatures if the individual charges more than a few dollars. The only exception I have made so far was for my '52 Berra.
    I don't think it would make sense to pay that kind of money to have him sign a Rookie card, unless you are getting it personalized. You can probably pick up a Topps Rookie already autographed AND slabbed by PSA/DNA for the same price. A Donruss or Fleer would probably run you no more than $50.00.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Seemed like a lot to me.
  • Options
    WOW, I just looked at the prices of the autographs from that show. They are astronomical.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug, was'nt someone getting him to sign at the games he was coaching? I thought I read that on here once but I cant remember for sure. I would like one of his rookies signed as well but $70 seems steep. I looked at some of his websites I wonder if you could email his foundation and see if he would sign for a donation.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Gwynn was a great signer as a player, so finding PSA/DNA rookies should not be hard. I've heard from several people that he still signs at games he's coaching for SDSU. He also may do other free appearances in the SD area (store openings, etc.), if you have a contact there you can send stuff to.

The prices at that show are ridiculous (obviously except for the free signers, though 2 of those 3 do lots of free signings on behalf of the Dodgers).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nick ... I may try sending it to SDS Athletic Dept. and hope that he signs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Does anyone know if he signs for free TTM if you send to SDSU? I guess I'll try it on Monday and see what happens.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug, I just looked at sportcollectors.net and it does not look like he is signing anything sent there. I didnt see any successes out of several that were sent.
  • Options
    Thanks Ben. I'm going to send it there anyway and see if I get lucky.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Thanks Ben. I'm going to send it there anyway and see if I get lucky. >>

Good luck. Maybe a good letter will get him to sign.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    WOW! I think this is a record for me for how long it took for a TTM to be returned!
    I sent a TTM to JACOBY ELLSBURY on February 22, 2010 c/o the Red Sox Spring Training Facility. Today, almost three years later (1,047 days) I get the following.

The two cards I sent to him were returned UNSIGNED.

Inside this 10 x 7 envelope:

Were the following:
    A postcard "signed" by Jacoby. Based upon what I found on eBay, this is NOT his signature.

A pocket schedule, with the 2nd half of the season on the reverse.

This sticker of the Red Sox Logo:

And this, which I think is pretty kewl:

Maybe down the road I will put a display together with the Red Sox Dirt and
    the dirt from the previous Yankee Stadium that I have:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Careful, that's how they get you addicted! First, a FREE bag and then the next bag will only be $20, then $50, then $100... before you know it, you'll be spending $1,000s! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards