Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    Better late than never image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!
    Love that pic at Shea! >>

Probably more odd to see a card from that year NOT taken at SHEA!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    This is why you should always use Forever stamps on your return envelope. You just never know.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Doug, Sweet auto of Mr Cub. Santa did stop by your house.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>This is why you should always use Forever stamps on your return envelope. You just never know. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DECEMBER 30, 2011

ALWAYS nice to find some new ones from the '52 set:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!
    Love that pic at Shea! >>

Probably more odd to see a card from that year NOT taken at SHEA! >>

No kidding. I think Topps' travel budget that year was all in tokens.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    That 52 set of yours is really getting to be something!
  • Options

<< <i>That 52 set of yours is really getting to be something! >>

Thanks Rob ... it's too bad the Hi #'s will never be a reality for me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    January 5, 2012

FOUR MORE TO ADD TO THE 52'S
    The TEBBETTS I love. I'd like this card even without the auto. Always a bonus to get one in real good shape!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    image So how many different ones now?
  • Options
    Thanks for the PM Rob.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    For those who asked I do NOT have any Hi # autographed 52's and due to their cost I don't think any are in my future!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Have to see what cards I have around here that would be good for TTMs. Sent out only a handful this past year.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    JANUARY 27, 2012
    Another '52 at a great price. They are starting to become harder to find at good prices. They are out there ... just that it takes a little longer for them to pop up. Some of them ( and I'm not talking about the HI #s, because I will never own those) are so friggin expensive.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug.... great cards. How close are you to finishing the set? minus the high #'s
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Doug.... great cards. How close are you to finishing the set? minus the high #'s >>

Bobby ... not even close! EXCLUDING the Hi #s I have about 1/3 of the set. Some of the non-hi #s are WAY out of my reach. Even some "commons" go for upwards of $500.00. NO WAY I will come close to getting any of those! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I guess all my old TTMs that are still out there (must be 150 - 200) are not coming back. Some were sent out almost three years ago. The fact that I recently received Ernie Banks back signed after over two years leaves me a LITTLE hope. HOWEVER, I guess it's time to start sending out some more, something I have done quite infrequently over the past year. Now I have to figure out what to begin sending.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I am going to send out a card and postcard to The Dalai Lama. Wish me luck. Would be nice to add him to my collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    FEBRUARY 6, 2012
    Always nice to pick up another '52, especially one that has been authenticated. Can someone tell me WHY Spence has to put the damn sticker on the card?

imageimage

I also picked up this auto of boxing great Max Schmeling. Got both cards for very reasonable prices.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Congrats on the Monte. Key card for your set image
  • Options
    Thanks Rob. Not in the greatest shape, but a nice solid auto. I picked it up for a real nice price so I'm quite happy with it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>DECEMBER 27, 2011

WOW! I was AMAZED when I opened the mail today. On May 1, 2009 I sent out the request to Mr. Banks. Today, over 2.5 YEARS LATER, THIS was in my mailbox. THANKS SO MUCH MR. CUB!!!

image >>

Unfortunately that is a stamp, here's another banks ttm and it looks exactly the same

• Options
    February 7, 2012
    This one took 2 YEARS and 1 MONTH to be returned. I guess this now makes the longest a card was out and returned with a REAL autograph.

When I got the Banks back after almost 2.5 years the auto looked strange. There was a lot of debate among some of us on these boards whether or not the auto was "good". Based upon the above post by 48leafpsa I am going to lean toward the auto being NG.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    February 9, 2012
    Picked this up from board member Crazylegs (Craig) the other day. You don't see too many of these around.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great pickup, Doug. Keep 'em comin'.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Glad some 52's are still out there for you.

I agree, WTF is up with the sticker on the back of the cards. It's not like they aren't in the hobby or something. I realize that they don't want you using the authenticity for other cards, but maybe they could put the card in a case with their seal. If the seal is broken, you know you have an issue. Maybe they already offer this as well and the people who get the sticker on the back are going the cheap route. Just a novice throwing it out there to the experts.

Anyway, Congrats Doug!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    You gotta love a muti signed card image
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Mike, I agree ... even if they put it in some cheap friggin holder and apply the seal(s) in such a way that it would rip if the holder was opened.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Doug,

Glad some 52's are still out there for you.

I agree, WTF is up with the sticker on the back of the cards. It's not like they aren't in the hobby or something. I realize that they don't want you using the authenticity for other cards, but maybe they could put the card in a case with their seal. If the seal is broken, you know you have an issue. Maybe they already offer this as well and the people who get the sticker on the back are going the cheap route. Just a novice throwing it out there to the experts.

Anyway, Congrats Doug!!! image >>

This is my understanding (I could be wrong):

JSA has a partnership with Beckett. If you want your JSA card slabbed, you need to pay an extra fee and it either A) goes to Texas and BGS slabs it, then sends it back to NJ, or B) JSA has a Beckett slabber in the back room they use themselves (I don't know if it is A or B). If you don't want the extra fee/processing time, they will put a sticker on the back.

By the way, nice triple auto!
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Mike ... thanks for the compliment and for the info.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    February 10, 2012
    If you collect autographed '52s how CAN'T you include THIS guy! Mailed it on 02/07/12 and received it back 3 days later. He lives on Long Island as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    February 17, 2012

Lindsey Vonn. Received the card back in 10 days. Really kewl looking card that she supplies. It's a Hologram on the front and a nice summary of her career on the back. It's a BIG card ... 8" x 4". Thanks Lindsey!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    February 28, 2012

Vernon Law is a GREAT friend of the TTM Community. Thanks for the auto Mr. Law!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug... Great looking Law, I love the inscription. I need to buy his rookie and send it to him. BTW how long did it take to get back?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Doug, nice autos!!!

I especially like the Sy Berger autos. Since he is local, maybe he can meet us for our next get together. image

Better chance of getting him, than Grote. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug... Great looking Law, I love the inscription. I need to buy his rookie and send it to him. BTW how long did it take to get back? >>

Bobby ... he is QUICK! One week turnaround and the card went from Long Island to Utah to Long Island!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>I especially like the Sy Berger autos. Since he is local, maybe he can meet us for our next get together.image >>

I actually included something like that in my letter to him. Said I would love to sit down with him over lunch and listen to him tell me about the history of Topps.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MARCH 3, 2012

What a surprise when the mail came. In March 2009 I sent out an '89 Hoops to David Robinson c/o Shipmates. Two years went by and it never came back, so in April 2011 I sent another, along with a Diamond Shamrock card, to his house in Texas. That one came back RTS within one week.

Earlier this year I saw a few people were successful when they sent to C/O Shipmates. So on February 7 I sent both cards to shipmates. Here is what I received in today's mail. THANKS MR. ROBINSON!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I was just looking at my list of people I have sent TTMs to. In 11 days it will be THREE YEARS since I sent one to Don Sutton ... it is still outstanding.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    March 7, 2012
    I picked up two more for the 52 set. I really do not like cards that are O/C or M/C, but the autos are nice and I don't think I'll ever find them any cheaper! Also, it's getting harder and harder to find some of these, as most of the guys from the set are deceased.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    How many 52s do you have now, Doug? Great project!
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That Vernon is a great quality auto image
  • Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Nice pick ups Doug.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I am probably up to ~120.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I am probably up to ~120. >>

neck and neck! Wish we could grab a big lot of them out of one of these acution houses for short money!
  • Options

<< <i>neck and neck! Wish we could grab a big lot of them out of one of these auction houses for short money! >>

Ted ... are there any lots up for auction right now that you are aware of?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    April 12, 2012
    It took 359 days but it was a success. Thanks Mr. Brickowski!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just deleted some weird message that was showing in place of the Brickowski card I had pasted in the above message. Very strange.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug