Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    DALAI LAMA
    Man, was I psyched when I saw these returns today. It took less than 2.5 months.

MUCH thanks to His Holiness for signing these items.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Very cool Doug.....Those are great!

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    cool!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug.... That's freakin awesome!!!! Great pickup
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Doug what was the process to get those signed? They are great? Did you have to donate money? Just curious you don't see Dalai Lama Auto's everyday.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Dalai Lama TTM, AWESOME!
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    ....So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.
  • Options
    Probably the coolest guy to get a TTM return from. Mine just popped yesterday! image

19886160 EXCELLENT 5 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE NEWS FLASHBACKS NF4 DALAI LAMA PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
  • Options
    If that Dalai Lama is real then that is incredible.
  • Options

<< <i>If that Dalai Lama is real then that is incredible. >>

I'm pretty sure they are real. I compared them to some already slabbed in PSA/DNA holders and they look like the real thing.

In addition, each of the autos is a bit different, so I do not think an autopen has been used.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Very strange return in the mail today. This card was sent to Mr. McRae on December 1, 2009.

Today, almost NINE HUNDRED DAYS later, it comes back unsigned.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Don't you ever go to sleep. image

Maybe he used invisible ink???
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Very strange return in the mail today. This card was sent to Mr. McRae on December 1, 2009.

Today, almost NINE HUNDRED DAYS later, it comes back unsigned.

image >>

Actually just beat this record today. Sent out on 4/2/08 and I got it back today. '78 Topps Roric Harrison. Just over 4 years!
    Lol!
  • Options

<< <i>Actually just beat this record today. Sent out on 4/2/08 and I got it back today. '78 Topps Roric Harrison. Just over 4 years! Lol! >>

But did yours come back signed? Mine did not. I just noticed that on the back of the envelope sent back to me someone wrote "Not living at this address". Very strange. It is the address that is still listed on whitepages.com as well as a couple of the paid subscription address sites. OH WELL!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually just beat this record today. Sent out on 4/2/08 and I got it back today. '78 Topps Roric Harrison. Just over 4 years! Lol! >>

But did yours come back signed? Mine did not. I just noticed that on the back of the envelope sent back to me someone wrote "Not living at this address". Very strange. It is the address that is still listed on whitepages.com as well as a couple of the paid subscription address sites. OH WELL! >>

Yes, mine did get signed image
  • Options
    May 12, 2012
    Picked up one more for the '52 set. I like the auto and I love the centering on this one.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Doug - Nice P/U and sig. Tough and costly card in better grades and centered. He just passed at 91 last fall.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>May 12, 2012
    Picked up one more for the '52 set. I like the auto and I love the centering on this one.
    image >>

Doug Just as I have nominated Mariner the 1959 Topps Guru I now nominate you the Autograph Guru.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Thanks Tony, but there are a few guys on this site who have stuff MUCH nicer than what I have! (Tony is just trying to keep it in La Familia!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Va Bene!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Man, I have to start sending out more!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    JUNE 24, 2012
    It's been a while since I obtained a '52 and I am real happy about adding these to my '52 set.

This one is in bad shape, but I needed it and could not pass on it for $9.00.

The below card is the first HI # '52 I have ever had .... either autographed or not.
    I was so psyched at the price I paid.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Nice additions Doug!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the '52's Doug, you know they are my favorite. That high number is a great addition to your set I'm sure. Just beautiful, and thanks for sharing. The other Doug
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug... Nice additions. I do like the Roy Smalley, I'm assuming that is the Roy Smalley who played in the 70's-80's dad? BTW I can not wait to see you add the Dick Groat image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Doug... Nice additions. I do like the Roy Smalley, I'm assuming that is the Roy Smalley who played in the 70's-80's dad? BTW I can not wait to see you add the Dick Groat image >>

Yes Bobby, it's his dad. FYI, Gene Mauch was his uncle.
    I don't think you will be seeing me posting a Dick Groat or any other Hi # for quite a while, unless I get it for a real good price!

Joel & Doug - THANKS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Need to get a few others up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    August 8, 2012
    Added another to the '52 set. Joe Ostrowski.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    SEPTEMBER 6, 2012
    Picked up two more for my '52 set. Very happy with these two. Got them in a trade with a member of another board.

JOE HATTEN

GUS BELL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Always nice to pick up a card from one of the guys who died in the 80's.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nice additions Doug!!! image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Bell and Hatten's signature did not change much over the years did they? Nice cards Doug. The other Doug.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice high number, Doug! I would love to have one of the four Cardinals high numbers signed.

I've got a Schoendienst too! Got mine direct from Red!

Shane

• Options
    DOUG - You are right, they do look a lot like the on card sigs!

SHANE - it would be nice to be able to add one of the Hi#d autos to your collection. Which 4 Cardinals are they?
    Edited to add: I figured it out:#334 Vinegar Bend Mizell; #378 Les Fusselman; #386 Eddie Yuhas; #398 Hal Rice
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Doug,
    LOVE the Billy Herman!!! I have always collected Billy Herman cards. Right when I started getting into collecting, my father told me how he knew someone in the baseball hall of fame. Stay with me here: His cousin's ex-wifes uncle was Billy Herman. I immediately started collecting his cards, got his autograph a few times, and met him a handful of times when he was in Cooperstown. I would always joke with people that I was related to him.

An autographed 52 has always been a white whale for me. Do you mind sharing how much you paid?
  • Options
    Thanks Coop. PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    September 8, 2012

...................Larry Jansen......................
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Thats a great card Doug. I first noticed it in the "Lets build a 52 set" thread. That one really stuck out. Great collection so far!
  • Options
    Thanks Foo.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Another great pickup Doug!!! I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance, but was that photo of Larry Jansen reversed? Was he signifying 52 or was it meant to be 25? Thanks for feeding my curiousity. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Another great pickup Doug!!! I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance, but was that photo of Larry Jansen reversed? Was he signifying 52 or was it meant to be 25? Thanks for feeding my curiosity. image >>

Mike ... here is one explanation I could find as to why the 2 + 5:
    The faded backdrop could be stadium seating--or the ribbed lifeboat of a sinking ship. "No problem," says Larry, "we've got room for seven more!" (According to my best research methods--talking with vintage collectors over pizza--Mr. Jansen fathered seven children, hence his photo pose for this seminal set.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Another great pickup Doug!!! I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance, but was that photo of Larry Jansen reversed? Was he signifying 52 or was it meant to be 25? Thanks for feeding my curiosity. image >>

Mike ... here is one explanation I could find as to why the 2 + 5:
    The faded backdrop could be stadium seating--or the ribbed lifeboat of a sinking ship. "No problem," says Larry, "we've got room for seven more!" (According to my best research methods--talking with vintage collectors over pizza--Mr. Jansen fathered seven children, hence his photo pose for this seminal set.) >>

Of course, in his case he fathered them all with the same woman. image

Thanks for the explanation.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another good pickup Doug - that's one of the more interesting 52Ts.

Hi Mike!
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike ... it is one of the rarer poses in the set!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I love that Jansen. One of my favorites from the '52 set. I have a few signed '52s. Let me know which low #'s you need, buddy.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I love that Jansen. One of my favorites from the '52 set. I have a few signed '52s. Let me know which low #'s you need, buddy. >>

I think he told me he still needs #311 signed,told him I only had one and couldnt even find it
    around here for the life of me..Nice collection Doug,must be nice to be a little focused!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>I think he told me he still needs #311 signed,told him I only had one and couldn't even find it
    around here for the life of me..Nice collection Doug,must be nice to be a little focused! >>

JR ... unfortunately for me the closest I will ever come to that one is in the form of this custom that Doran made for me:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug