Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AUGUST 17, 2011

I just received these customs in the mail from Doran.

As many of you already know, I found a paperback ("THE MICK") on ebay earlier this year. On the inside cover it was signed "To Doug ... Mickey Mantle". I was looking for this inscription for years and finally found it. Here is what it turned into. It is 7.5" x 10.5".

Next up is a 3.5" x 5" card. The auto came from Cals' book.

These remaining three cards are regular size.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Dig 'em. Nice work! image
  • Options
    Thanks ... really luvin the Mick!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Nice Mick. Kinda sucks to have to store that thing since its bigger than a 8x10. If you not going to frame it, perhaps having JSA/BGS slab it in one of there monster magazine slabs?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Mick. Kinda sucks to have to store that thing since its bigger than a 8x10. If you not going to frame it, perhaps having JSA/BGS slab it in one of there monster magazine slabs? >>

Not sure I want to pay the price they would probably charge to slab it. May find a large clear frame and see how it looks in that frame.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Mick. Kinda sucks to have to store that thing since its bigger than a 8x10. If you not going to frame it, perhaps having JSA/BGS slab it in one of there monster magazine slabs? >>

Not sure I want to pay the price they would probably charge to slab it. May find a large clear frame and see how it looks in that frame. >>

$83...$75 for the auth, and $8 upcharge for the big slab.
    http://spenceloa.com/fees.aspx#JSABGS
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not sure I want to pay the price they would probably charge to slab it. May find a large clear frame and see how it looks in that frame. >>

$83...$75 for the auth, and $8 upcharge for the big slab.
    http://spenceloa.com/fees.aspx#JSABGS >>

Thanks Jeff ... but with shipping both ways I'm at $100.00+. Not worth it IMO.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Doug, that Mantle is incredible!! That is a close as you can get to the real thing. WTG!!!
  • Options
    AUGUST 19, 2011
    Quite happy with this addition to the '52 set. Card not in great shape, but a real nice older auto on the card. Picked it up for a VERY reasonable price.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    As soon as my electric is back I will update this site. Picked up about 10 more for the '52 set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    After 4 months, received this TTM signed by Mr. Perkowski. Thanks very much!

Picked up this card for my '82 Donruss set. Have not kept up with this set in some time.

In addition, I picked up these 8 cards for the '52 set. Very happy with them.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Great pickups!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickups Doug!!! image

How many cards are in the 52 set anyway? You look like you've made a nice dent in it.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome pickups Doug!!! image
    How many cards are in the 52 set anyway? You look like you've made a nice dent in it. >>

Mike, there are 407 but I will NEVER be able to afford any of the HI numbers. SOOOO that leaves 310 and I have a LONG way to go. Additionally, there are some in that group of 310 that are extremely expensive and thus will never pass thru my hands!!!.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Thanks Rob. I should be able to look for those Yankees for your cousin later today.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    September 19, 2011

Went thru some of the BATMAN cards that I had in my collection. Looked up who signed TTM so I sent one out to BATMAN and one to CATWOMAN. Here is what came back today.

THANKS MR. WEST

BTW ... sent him 2 cards and returned both, but signed only one.

PAUL MOLITOR must be REAL busy ... it took 2.5 YEARS to get back this response!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Doug, great West signature. After looking at it, I have to pick up a Batman card and send it out.
  • Options
    "No use, Joker! I knew you'd employ your sneezing powder, so I took an Anti-Allergy Pill! Instead of a SNEEZE, I've caught YOU, COLD!"

Holy auto card, Batman!!!

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Does West charge a fee TTM? I've heard less-than-pleasant things about him at in-person signings.
  • Options

<< <i>Does West charge a fee TTM? I've heard less-than-pleasant things about him at in-person signings. >>

He did NOT charge to sign my card. It was also a very quick turnaround (12 days).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    September 21, 2011

An old time Yankee who had some pretty good power!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup, Pat (I mean, Doug!).

Seriously, nice auto!

Shane

• Options
    Nice card. I almost bid on that one myself.
  • Options
    Thanks Shane.

Also thanks to you Rob for NOT bidding! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    September 26, 2011
    Why the HELL does GAI put the sticker ON THE DAMN card?????

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    November 4, 2011
    Always wanted one of 'Ole Casey. Finally got it.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Love that Stengel. He is a must have for a true auto collector image
  • Options
    Hey Doug,

Please don't try to take that GAI sticker off the card. You remember what happened the last time you tried to remove a sticker. image

BTW, I was liked that Casey card too!!!

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Doug, Please don't try to take that GAI sticker off the card. You remember what happened the last time you tried to remove a sticker. image >>

I have no idea what you are talking about!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AUGUST 17, 2011

I just received these customs in the mail from Doran.

As many of you already know, I found a paperback ("THE MICK") on ebay earlier this year. On the inside cover it was signed "To Doug ... Mickey Mantle". I was looking for this inscription for years and finally found it. Here is what it turned into. It is 7.5" x 10.5".

>>

Love the Mantle!

from another Doug
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>November 4, 2011
    Always wanted one of 'Ole Casey. Finally got it.

image >>

Neato! Great typical picture of the Old Case. It looks like he may have been talking about Marv Throneberry at the time!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Thanks Guys ... I think that card is a classic pic of Casey.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    Great Casey!
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
    November 21, 2011

Another '52 ... Carl Erskine. He also answered 4 questions I asked.

#1. What was it like to finally win the WS in '55?
    #2. Best player you played with? Against?
    #3. Most memorable game?
    #4. They re-named a street in Brooklyn after him. (Erskine Street) I asked him how he felt when he found out.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Beautiful card and it is pretty cool he wrote you back.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, many of the old timers are so cordial with their TTMs and answer questions that you pose. I've even had children of some of the older gentlemen write back to me telling me their dad was quite sick and thanking ME for remembering their dad and saying that their dad had a great big smile on his face when he opened the letter.

Hey, sounds like Willie Mays would feel the same way, right? image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug,

Thanks for sharing that letter. Class act all the way Mr. Erskine. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, Thanks for sharing that letter. Class act all the way Mr. Erskine. image >>

You are welcome Mike. I agree that Mr. Erskine is a great one to have for our hobby.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    DECEMBER 9, 2011

CAT WOMAN!!!! Julie Newmar signed both of my cards. Thanks Ms. Newmar.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Meow.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I wondered who was going to be the first to say that Don!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Those are awesome!
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>September 26, 2011
    Why the HELL does GAI put the sticker ON THE DAMN card?????

image >>

HA...Doug, my Jr High School PE teacher was Frank's Daughter. Se got me a signed topps archives personalized to me, it was the coolest thing back then. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.
  • Options

<< <i>DECEMBER 9, 2011

CAT WOMAN!!!! Julie Newmar signed both of my cards. Thanks Ms. Newmar.

image >>

She's the cat's meow alright!!! image

Way to go Doug!!!

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>She's the cat's meow alright!!! image Way to go Doug!!! >>

Are you talking NOW?

Or THEN? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    DECEMBER 19, 2011

Have to get some more TTMs out there. Need to think what subset I should do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    DECEMBER 27, 2011

WOW! I was AMAZED when I opened the mail today. On May 1, 2009 I sent out the request to Mr. Banks. Today, over 2.5 YEARS LATER, THIS was in my mailbox. THANKS SO MUCH MR. CUB!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

Love that pic at Shea!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle