Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I read this entire post today. Just marvelous and quite inspiring! Could you please PM me the wording that you use in a standard request to one of these players? I may like to try and have some of my many '56 Topps signed... or maybe the '67 set.

Simply great thread, it's wonderful to see the sigs of all of these old timers!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    SCM ... PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MAY 18, 2011

Picked them up from board member Yankeeno7. First wrestling cards for me!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MAY 23, 2011

Picked up 6 nice 52s. 5 are deceased players. Autos look to be on the older side, which I like for this set.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That is a nice Gene Woodling. How many 52's do you have?
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Love the Woodling image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Doug I just can not imagine how you find these Autosimage in your challange.I know how hard you have worked on it.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MAY 25, 2011

Again, not a TTM, but for such a reasonable price I had to get it. He and that Strawberry guy were the only things people talked about here in NY 25 years ago.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    nice....it's signed "Dwight" instead of "Doc"
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options

<< <i>nice....it's signed "Dwight" instead of "Doc" >>

You are right JJ .. and I like it better with him signing his real name ... although I must admit that I purchased it without seeing it ... so I did not know how it was signed. A little extra bonus. Thanks!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice....it's signed "Dwight" instead of "Doc" >>

Doug, That was once my card that I gave to Matt for the Gooden signing on SCN. We had our option to have him sign Doc or Dwight. I'm glad you like it. BTW love the '52 Bob Friend auto, was that TTM?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Gooden and Strawberry and the Rest of the Mets were a waste of talent. Pretty much everybody on that team had a Drug Problem or was a lowlife other than Gary Carter.
  • Options

<< <i>Gooden and Strawberry and the Rest of the Mets were a waste of talent. Pretty much everybody on that team had a Drug Problem or was a lowlife other than Gary Carter. >>

Many drank and did drugs excessively. They were a CRAZY bunch of great ballplayers. However, to say everyone other than Carter had a drug problem or was a low life is taking it to the extreme. In the middle of reading "The Bad Guys Won" about the '86 Mets ... a pretty good account of the players from that team.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wally Backman, Lenny Dykstra, and Kevin Mitchell are not Good Guys Either. Rick Aguilara is a Nice Guy However and Mookie Wilson was a nice guy when I met him as well.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW love the '52 Bob Friend auto, was that TTM? >>

No it was not Bobby. Never tried him TTM, but the addy I have for him is as follows if you want to try:

4 Salem Circle, Pittsburgh, PA 15238
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Wally Backman, Lenny Dykstra, and Kevin Mitchell are not Good Guys Either. Rick Aguilara is a Nice Guy However and Mookie Wilson was a nice guy when I met him as well. >>

I think you have to put Ray Knight on the nice list as well. And Ed Hearn?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Not sure if this was already mentioned in this thread (it's 39 pages long), but some of those 52s leave me melancholy. Their facsimile signatures are strong and full of vigor while the on card autos are done by shaky hands. I wonder what the players think when confronted with their halcyonic images. Hopefully they think something like, "Yes, at one time, I was one of the best in the world at this game. I was sharp and could break off the meanest of curves. And now, now I get to breathe the clean memories of my youth each time I get a request to sign one of these. Sure the signatures don't match exactly, but they're both me."
  • Options
    Jimmy ... from time to time you will see letters from the old timers in this thread. For the most part, although it may be a little harder for them to write, they seem to really enjoy "talking" about their playing days and supplying fans with their auto.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MAY 28, 2011

BIG THANKS goes to Mike (VitoCo) for getting these two signed for me FREE OF CHARGE!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    JUNE 3, 2011

One more '52. I just looked at the '51 Bowman I received from Mr. Usher in March 2009. He signed it the exact same way.

Thanks Mr. Usher!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Been a week with no TTMs. Guess I have to get more out. Probably have 150+ from 1.5+ years ago that have never found their way back to me!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    June 15, 2011

Two months ago I was going thru my stuff and found a DIAMOND SHAMROCK SET of the SPURS. I believe the set was from 1989. There were only about 12 cards in the set, so I figured I would try sending them out. Got back my first positive result today. I should have asked the players to sign at the bottom.

...............THANKS MR. BROWN!...............

In addition, I added SIX more 1952s:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That is a good boost to your 52T collection image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Great job getting those 52's. I agree the signature would have looked better at the bottom on those Spurs cards.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks guys ... those 52s are a lot of fun.

I should be receiving autographed 1952 cards of the following guys later this week:

Pafko
    Mays
    Mantle
    Matthews

Well ... maybe not! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I read this entire thread and must say congrats on all the success.This hobby should be fun and it seems like you've found a great group of projects to have fun with.Thank you for sharing your endeavor.I laughed,I got choked up as one of the letters touched very close for me,but I really enjoyed the full read.I will be for sure following this thread from now on.
    I really like serious people.
  • Options

<< <i>I read this entire thread and must say congrats on all the success.This hobby should be fun and it seems like you've found a great group of projects to have fun with.Thank you for sharing your endeavor.I laughed,I got choked up as one of the letters touched very close for me,but I really enjoyed the full read.I will be for sure following this thread from now on.
    image >>

Thanks very much. Yes, it sure is fun collecting the TTMs and some additional autographs. I started when I was forced to sell my collection, as I figured it was a cheap way of staying in this great hobby! Turns out I like ALMOST as much as collecting the higher dollar value items I had previously.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Not TTMs, but a couple of recent pickups:

So hard to get a good scan of the Seaver ... looks AMAZING in person. Kaline also a fun pickup.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Hey Doug,

Very nice pickups. At least you don't have to send them in for slabbing.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Hoping to get some more requests out soon.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, cool looking Kaline. Keep them coming!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Hoping to get some more requests out soon. >>

Any particular year or players Doug?

Collecting:
  • Options
    Still not sure Mike ... have to see what I have sitting around here.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Still not sure Mike ... have to see what I have sitting around here. >>

I hear 1990 Donruss is good to get signed. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    JULY 22, 2011

What an AWESOME letter I received from Bob ODELL's daughter. Very nice of Mr. Odell to sign considering his health.
    (Note that the picture on the card is not him ... it is his brother!)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wow Doug, that is great that you were able to make his daughter feel that good to write you a very touching letter. Sometimes TTM's are a two way street as it seems that the old time players really appreciate being remembered as well as the fans getting that autograph from a player they remember from childhood.

And see even back in the day, the photographers were getting fooled.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Yeah Mike ... it's nice to know that these old timers still enjoy getting fan mail.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    It's little things like that which make TTM collecting worth the effort. I have gotten a few cool notes and letters over the years as well.

• Options

<< <i>It's little things like that which make TTM collecting worth the effort. I have gotten a few cool notes and letters over the years as well.image >>

AGREE 100%!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That is really awesome from O'Dells. There are just a few guys left from my favorite vintage set of all-time. It reminds me of the first hand-written letter that I ever received and it was from Otto Graham.
  • Options

<< <i>That is really awesome from O'Dells. There are just a few guys left from my favorite vintage set of all-time. It reminds me of the first hand-written letter that I ever received and it was from Otto Graham. >>

Yes, it is real nice to get these letters back from either the athlete or a relative. Got a nice one back from George Savitsky's (same set) wife a couple of years ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Pretty great note, Doug. One to keep.
  • Options
    Started reading this a few days ago, just finished today, and I have to say, great collection! I collect TTM also, but not nearly on the volume you do. I started back in February and have only sent out 52 with 10 still out there. I'd like to start a thread like this, but I don't send out enough to keep updating it regularly. In any case, good luck with your collection!
  • Options
    RMac ... thanks so much. The TTMs have slowed down a LOT in the past year ... but one of these days I am going to start sending them out again like I used to!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>The TTMs have slowed down a LOT in the past year ... but one of these days I am going to start sending them out again like I used to! >>

Is that what happens when you get old? image

Collecting:
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AUGUST 7, 2011

Not TTMs, but picked up a couple more for the '52 set:

And here are some I just got back from PSA/DNA. Some nice customs from Doran are included:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Doug. McGraw sure had a nice signature.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug ... Yeah, I think Tug's sig is pretty kewl looking!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug