Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

old 2/26/09 ~ BBCE 1986 Fleer basketball - Group Break- Video posted - Ripping has started - 4 Jorda

Comments

• Okay. So, what to do about submitting the card, I have no idea. I'm considering emailing that Joe or joel or whatever and saying, listen here, dude, i know the score on this, so should i bother using your services or not?
    Most of the cards have pretty bad centering. Jordan is better, as are a few others. Somehow, that makes me suspicious, as who am i to get good luck for once? The Bird card shows typical bad centering. If anyone needs any of these other more common cards, let me know. Sell for pennies if you need em or trade. Also, any opinions on which to submit is very welcome.

Others besides the ones you see below:
    Vinnie Johnson (centered nicely), Bill Laimbeer, Bernard King (better centering than most), Ro Blackman, Gus Williams, Mike Mitchell, Sidney Moncrief, Otis Birdsong, Johnny Moore, Herb Williams, Gerald Wilkins, Buck Williams, Albert King, Kevin Willis, Randy Wittman, Al Wood, Allen Leavell, Mike Woodson, Fat Lever, The O Man (!), Clark Kellogg

yabbadabbadoo
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

edit: Isn't Bernard King a toughie?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Awesome Jordan!

That one should grade high.
  • Yeah, but given today's activities, where do I submit? BVG? Not SCA, right? Where?
    And what about the stickers? Good enough to sub or no? Clearly, not the Bird and Mullin.
    yabbadabbadoo
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Jordan. Decent centering. How is the bottom left corner?
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• corner looks good to me, but i don't have a loupe.
    btw - on this centering issue, you guys have more sophisticated eyes than I have. he looks straight up centered to me, but maybe I don't know how to look!
    question is whether there is any chance it's as low as an 8 or 8.5 ?

yabbadabbadoo
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    No question, send it to PSA. NICE PULL!!!!
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Nice Jordan.
    The color and corners look superb.
    It's a solid 9. I'm almost afraid to see
    what happens next. Good luck!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centering looks fine to me on the Jordan...a little off L-R but well within the parameters of a mint 9 grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Hi Philip,

Centering wise, the Jordan looks really good top to bottom. I'd say 48/52 AT WORST. Left to right? I'm not sure. Perhaps 60/40? Take a look.

/s/ JackWESQ

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    looks great imo.

9 minimum i would think. great job on the best centered card being the jordan.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I don't have J-ruler, but the centering looks to be within 9 specs. If the back is centered and the bottom left corner is as sharp as the others look in the scan, I'd say you have a shot at a 9. I always find it hard to judge from a picture though. I'd examine the corners through a loupe and make sure you don't see any white. Even if one corner is touched and you get an 8, you'll get your investment back.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• looks like the stickers not selling for much on ebay besides jordan, unless 10. these ain't
    yabbadabbadoo
  • thanks for that visual on the centering. never thought of doing that
    yabbadabbadoo
    pm sent

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>corner looks good to me, but i don't have a loupe.
    btw - on this centering issue, you guys have more sophisticated eyes than I have. he looks straight up centered to me, but maybe I don't know how to look!
    question is whether there is any chance it's as low as an 8 or 8.5 ? >>

Philip ... NICE CARD! I have it at 48/52 T/B and 45/55 L/R. GOOD LUCK! Where to send? Can't tall ya ... just wishing for a real high grade for you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • slept on it and i'm going to submit jordan. seems dumb to not.
    yabbadabbadoo
    pm sent on the lot less the jordan.

someone was looking for a nice raw jordan not that long ago. wish i could remember.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

PM sent
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Philip,

Congrats on the Jordan, you've always been a reliable trading partner so I wanted to tell you congratulations!!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Yeah, but given today's activities, where do I submit? BVG? Not SCA, right? Where?
    And what about the stickers? Good enough to sub or no? Clearly, not the Bird and Mullin. >>

Great pull I'm very happy for you and glad you did not sell the packs... how would you have felt if they were ripped and you saw the Jordan. I think this PSA mess will get worked out and I would still be willing to trust them to grade the card.
    "Anything run by man has its flaws"
  • BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    OK, let me make a few things clear here.....

The 86/87 Fleer box every got in on was a 100% fresh, virgin box. The customer I got it from paid $18.00 for it. I gave him $9000 for it. I will buy more for $9000.00.
    We sold it on here for $10,000.00. After paypal and credit card fees of about 2.5%, we made $750 on a $10,000 sale. I didn't get rich. I didn't even make what most businesses consider even worth my time and effort. In fact, the for $750 profit the downside is way to risky. Imagine if there had been zero Jordans pulled by now and they were still all inside the packs that people are submitting?? I would probably have been called out as picking through the packs!! However, the best happened and 3 Jordan rookies have been pulled out of what seems around half the packs being opened! The Jordans look killer too.....

Next, as far as evidence of trimming goes. It happens. We opened a 1955 Topps All-American cello pack at the National in Anaheim, CA. There were dozens of people standing around the table as we opened it. The cards were walked over to the PSA booth and cards came back evidence of trimming. It happens. Sometimes when I look at wax packs taken straight from full boxes from the 70s, the seals are just ugly. I have to make a call with my best opinion. I like to caution on the side of NOT putting it into a holder. So I'm sure I have rejected packs that were good. It happens.

I am 100% confident in the box and 100% confident in the Jordan cards being original. In fact, if anyone wants to sell me back the packs that contained the Jordan rookies I will offer you double your money for the pack ($554 per pack). Thanks again! Steve Hart
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    steve.. if anyone doubts you.. it is one or 2 and not worth thinking about..
    we buy from you because you are trusted.. it is not a doubt to the majoroty
  • what about those of us who reveived the packs with the seal broken? J/K , I trust You, even though my pack was unsealed, got a very OC Zeke and a OC dr j sticker.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if you could re-send the jordan back and use BBCE post about it being original and say BOOYA, evidence of NOT trimming baby...grade it!!!!
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • depending on this outcome, what is the price per pack, on the other unsearched box? If you can, how many MJs pulled? feel free to email.

<< <i>OK, let me make a few things clear here.....

The 86/87 Fleer box every got in on was a 100% fresh, virgin box. The customer I got it from paid $18.00 for it. I gave him $9000 for it. I will buy more for $9000.00.
    We sold it on here for $10,000.00. After paypal and credit card fees of about 2.5%, we made $750 on a $10,000 sale. I didn't get rich. I didn't even make what most businesses consider even worth my time and effort. In fact, the for $750 profit the downside is way to risky. Imagine if there had been zero Jordans pulled by now and they were still all inside the packs that people are submitting?? I would probably have been called out as picking through the packs!! However, the best happened and 3 Jordan rookies have been pulled out of what seems around half the packs being opened! The Jordans look killer too.....

Next, as far as evidence of trimming goes. It happens. We opened a 1955 Topps All-American cello pack at the National in Anaheim, CA. There were dozens of people standing around the table as we opened it. The cards were walked over to the PSA booth and cards came back evidence of trimming. It happens. Sometimes when I look at wax packs taken straight from full boxes from the 70s, the seals are just ugly. I have to make a call with my best opinion. I like to caution on the side of NOT putting it into a holder. So I'm sure I have rejected packs that were good. It happens.

I am 100% confident in the box and 100% confident in the Jordan cards being original. In fact, if anyone wants to sell me back the packs that contained the Jordan rookies I will offer you double your money for the pack ($554 per pack). Thanks again! Steve Hart >>

Steve you are the best and anyone that says other wise is ignorant of the work you do to provide fresh unopened material for us to rip an enjoy.

If I could do this whole mess over again I would... When I opened the pack and saw the Jordan I felt like I was 10 years old again - not many things in life can make you feel that way.

Please keep up the great work at the BBCE and keep feeding our addiction.

thanks for everything you do!

Jasen
  • BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    When I was 10 years old I got picked by the Orioles to play little league. My mom then took me to the local drugstore and I bought a 1979 Topps baseball rack pack with Scott McGregor on it because he was an Oriole. I guess I can say that was my first card ever and it must have started this whole lifes work because of it!!

<< <i>When I was 10 years old I got picked by the Orioles to play little league. My mom then took me to the local drugstore and I bought a 1979 Topps baseball rack pack with Scott McGregor on it because he was an Oriole. I guess I can say that was my first card ever and it must have started this whole lifes work because of it!! >>

The real question is do you still have the Scott McGregor?
    Steve

How many 1986 Fleer packs do you have left?

I bought another the other day after I got my two from the break (got Jordan back pack).

I think I want to buy at least three more for grading.

<< <i>Steve

How many 1986 Fleer packs do you have left?

I bought another the other day after I got my two from the break (got Jordan back pack).

I think I want to buy at least three more for grading. >>

last e-mail I had with Steve he had 31 left... That was as of late last week!
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Got my pack this evening. I'm sending it in to get slabbed.

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very cool response by Steve.

And even cooler that he would discount a box like that when his profit margin was that low.

Glad there are guys like him out there!

"Molon Labe"

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Steve I think most of the board knows you are straight up. I have no worries on your product. I only note this because I brought up the 1.9 in this thread and I don't want it appear I was referring to tainted product.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Obviously, any box that yields three well centered Jordan rookies has clearly been searched.
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    $750 profit... Thats like 30minutes at breathless. Well worth it imo
  • BBCE-Steve, you're a top notch dealer. As a collector, I appreciate that, hope to do business with you down the road. You offer some seldom seen boxes on your site at solid prices. As for your 1986 Fleer packs, wow, I have no doubt they are legit. They follow proper Fleer collation on the outside(stcikers) and the inside(numerical collation). The fact that 3 Jordan's were pulled are exciting. Lastly, I'm amazed that you are selling these packs at such a small profit. Either way, you've created more business from this break and, at the least, attained one new customer from this(even though I couldn't afford a pack!).

Finally, great pulls fellas!
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I am trying to figure out how Steve got mixed up with all of this? If the packs look good and there were 3 MJ's pulled he did his job. I don't see how else he can help. I understand alot of people being upset, but not the sellers job to sway PSA to grade it. OP I feel for you.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    The people who were saying Steve's stuff isn't legit, probably have their own agenda. Steve is my ONLY source for non-modern unopened material. Period.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    seconded. i had not heard of steve before i got to the CU boards, but he has been a more honest, reputable, and trustworthy unopened source than probably any other person i have ever dealt with in 15 years of this hobby.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am trying to figure out how Steve got mixed up with all of this? If the packs look good and there were 3 MJ's pulled he did his job. I don't see how else he can help. I understand alot of people being upset, but not the sellers job to sway PSA to grade it. OP I feel for you. >>

Some idiot with 9 posts named caramelcollector, who probably has never opened a pack that wasn't wrapped in foil, called Steve out on the other thread.

Steve, (in my best Donny Osmond voice), don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch...

Your service and integrity are 2nd to none. The 86/87 fleer pack I received is flawless. John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Here's an interesting eBay auction on the topic of this thread. If I had the money, I would place a bid too.

CLICK HERE!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    the cards look good to me, i wish i could have gotten in on the deal. i could use a jordan psa 8 and i think those 3 qualify if not 9's
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• << <i>NOBODY OPEN YOUR PACKS!!!!
    I JUST PULLED THE LAST JORDAN. PHOTOS SOON >>

Do you recall the exact order of the cards when you opened the pack?
  • uhh... Isiah sticker, Top card was Gus Williams. That's all I remember. Bird and Mullin in the pack.
    yabbadabbadoo

<< <i>uhh... Isiah sticker, Top card was Gus Williams. That's all I remember. Bird and Mullin in the pack. >>

It sounds like you got the same pack that my Jordan was pulled from... I can also remember getting a bird, mullin, and Gus Williams - I'm also not sure what the order was!
  • Well, I really couldn't see anything through the pack, but I guess if you see Gus, there's a bounty below
    yabbadabbadoo
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    No one has pulled a Magic or Ewing have they?
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a better scan of the Jordan and Ewing sticker from my previous post.

They are still terrible. If anyone can tell me what the best scan settings for an HP5180 are, I would be very appreciative.

Stoney