Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

old 2/26/09 ~ BBCE 1986 Fleer basketball - Group Break- Video posted - Ripping has started - 4 Jorda

Comments

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the terrible scans, I had to reconfigure my scanner and obviously I did not get all the kinks worked out.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    sweeet!!
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    NICE!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! Another solid MJ!!!

40/60 LR, I think that one could still get a 9.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow!! Another solid MJ!!!

40/60 LR, I think that one could still get a 9. >>

I am real glad he pulled a MJ and not to be a chaz but I am thinking 8.5 at best due to centering
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Just got my package from UPS!

Guys.......... I opened the box......took the two packs out of packaging and took the one on top to examine first.......pressed the back of the pack slightly.......

and the words "Jordan is the" appear on the back!

JORDAN STICKER!

Not sure if I want to rip that one.....maybe send into PSA........

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    DAWG ... WTG! Nice card ... kind of hard to measure with that scan, but I have it at about 45/55 both ways. NOW GO GET A "9"!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Gonblott ... I would get the one with the Michael sticker SLABBED!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Just got my package from UPS!

Guys.......... I opened the box......took the two packs out of packaging and took the one on top to examine first.......pressed the back of the pack slightly.......

JORDAN STICKER!

Not sure if I want to rip that one.....maybe send into PSA........ >>

I would send it to PSA!!!! There is currently 1 for sale on ebay I think with a buy it now at 1,200.
  • Options

The Jordan I already have slab'ed has similar centering... I think it could pull a 9.
  • Options
    I wsh I would have done that with mine, but I got too anxious. I would have sent my pack in to be graded. Oh well.
  • Options
    I just talked with Steve over at BBCE and he said if anyone would like more packs he has another box and he will sell them to us for the same price - so if you are interested in them please contact him and say you are from the PSA boards.
  • Options

<< <i>Just got my package from UPS!

JORDAN STICKER!

Not sure if I want to rip that one.....maybe send into PSA........ >>

NOW rip the other pack without the Jordan and report back!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    Hey Dawg, send me the Jordan and I'll get a nice scan up for you....image

JK, congrats!
  • Options
    man, the odds are changing rapidly. does anyone know if there assortments in these packs were random, i.e., there could be one in every pack just as easily in one in every box? if there are typically a fixed number of jordans per box, i'm thinking not opening my two packs might be the way to stay sane.
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    Since there have been 2 Jordan cards, and 1 Jordan sticker, there should be at least 1 maybe 2 Jordan cards left, and at least 2 maybe 3 Jordan stickers left. The only way to tell is if EVERYONE posts either their decision not to rip, or their results.
  • Options
    Does the Jordan only come in the packs that have the Ewing sticker (based on ssdawg77's rip)?
  • Options

<< <i>man, the odds are changing rapidly. does anyone know if there assortments in these packs were random, i.e., there could be one in every pack just as easily in one in every box? if there are typically a fixed number of jordans per box, i'm thinking not opening my two packs might be the way to stay sane. >>

Steve at the BBCE did confirm this a normal fleer assortment of packs... there should be 3 Jordans in this box with an outside shot at 4.

There is also 1 more Jordan sticker left (possibly 2)... be sure to check the back of your pack before openning and in my opinion get the pack slabbed if it has the Jordan sticker.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the Jordan only come in the packs that have the Ewing sticker? >>

I don't think the Sticker has anything to do with the cards inside the pack.
  • Options
    So, the only way to know if the Jordan is in your pack is to open it, right? Or, can you tell by the top card?
  • Options

<< <i>So, the only way to know if the Jordan is in your pack is to open it, right? Or, can you tell by the top card? >>

I think you can make an educated guess if the card will be in the top of the pack... the cards are packaged in small runs for example 55,56,57 - would get you a Jordan.
  • Options
    Your theory looks like it holds up based on the contents of the most recent pack rip that had the Jordan.

Brad Davis 22
    Vinnie Johnson 56
    Michael Jordan 57
    Clark Kellogg 58
    Albert King 59
    Rickey Pierce 87
    Paul Pressey 88
    Mychael Thompson 111
    Gerald Wilkins 122
    Buck Williams 123
    Gus Williams 124
    Herb Williams 125

That helps. So, if I spring for a pack or 2 from the other box on BBCE, I could potentially tell if one of the packs has a Jordan by the top card without opening the pack.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that nobody has pulled a Karl Malone RC yet. There's a card I'd love to have in a PSA 10.

• Options
    That would suck to have Clark Kellogg be the top card in the pack! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting that nobody has pulled a Karl Malone RC yet. There's a card I'd love to have in a PSA 10. >>

I was saving that card for you TDAN
  • Options

<< <i>That would suck to have Clark Kellogg be the top card in the pack! lol >>

Clark Kellog on top means Jordan 99% of the time. FYI

It goes the other way and not the way you are thinking.

It would suck to have #56 on top because then it goes 55,54,53,52,51

The top of the pack is the first run of six cards and the second card in pack is the second run of six cards but sometimes the sequencing gets messed up a bit(Brad Davis for example) or the card will be upside down and start a new sequence.

My second card was Dennis Johnson #50 and went down 49,48,47,46 45

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Oh, well in that case how would you like to see a Vinnie Johnson on the top, that would suck! lol
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't complain at all!

I'll probably be the last to get my pack as I think it's getting sent out today combined with a couple of 77FB vending boxes. By then it should be much more clear what's left in the packs.

Can one get a good sense for centering from the top card without opening the pack? That seems to be the killer. Great centering on a pack full of commons might still pay out.

• Options

<< <i>Oh, well in that case how would you like to see a Vinnie Johnson on the top, that would suck! lol >>

yep, that would stink
  • Options
    BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    I've had a few people ask me about the collation for 86/87 Fleer by viewing the top card and the sticker. Let me try to help out some. You can also use this information if you come across any 86/87 Fleer packs and want a little help in knowing if they have been looked through.

Most of the time (90%) you get 2 runs of 6 numbers in a pack of 86/87 Fleer. They run in reverse order, while run together. For example you may get in a pack:

However, the other 10% of the time, the sequence will flip in the middle (where the cards actually turn a different direction), so it will change to a different run of 6.
    You will also notice that the 2 seperate runs are usually off by 66 in the card number (i.e. in that example pack I used the first 2 cards were 127 and 61, a difference of 66). However this can flip and change a small percantage of the time also.

Also, usually in a 36 pack box that is still intact the way it came from Fleer, you can only see the top card half the time. That is because the other half of the time the top card is flipped upside down and you can't see the players last name through the blue part of the wrapper. You can however, see the Jordan rookie if his name doesn't appear (its flipped upside down) due to the fact that you can see the ball being dunked through the red part of the wrapper.

Therefore, even with a full box of these packs (still the same way it came from Fleer) you can only see the runs 50% of the time. And of those 50% of the packs, you can't see the 2nd run of 6 either. So you pretty much can only see the Jordan run on 25% of the whole box.

This is very valubale information to know as this is what you need knowledge of to purchase boxes. Or even is someone wanted to sell you half a box, part of a box, etc. knowing these things can save you some big money if someone is trying to scam you on them! I also need to be able to see the basketball being dunked on the Jordan rookie for people who want their PSA pack labeled "Jordan on top" when the only thing visable is the ball (no other card in the set has the basketball and rim in the same spot as the Jordan rookie).

In addition, each box will make 3 sticker sets with another 3 extra stickers. The sticker however has no relation with the cards you get in the pack. Thanks! Steve Hart

• Options
    Steve,

That was some very valuable information. Thanks for helping everyone out and being one of the GOOD GUYS in the hobby.

Doug

PS We HAD a pretty active UNOPENED WAX/CELLO PACK Forum on the eBay boards and Steve was very helpful over the past couple of years in there as well!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Did everyone get there packs today?
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    3 jordans if you are counting stickers... actually 4.. one isn't ripped..
  • Options
    I only count 2 Jordan cards, and 1 Jordan sticker, which wasn't ripped.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    turboshockey pulled a jordan sticker

Sticker Michael Jordan L/R60/40 ish T/B55/45 PSA 8 maybe 8.5.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    great to all those who have pulled a Jordan. Sorry to those who did not...hope it was fun nonetheless...bet it was. I was the last to pay...so have not received mine yet. Tomorrow? With work, kid's basketball, CCD, etc., may not get a chance to rip until thw weekend. Dang!

Good luck to all that have not ripped an MJ!
  • Options
    nothng worth scanning. A very bad OC Zeke RC and a Dr J sticker with a shot at a 9.

still a fun rip, thanks for setting this up.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did everyone get there packs today? >>

Still haven't received mine here in the burbs of Denver image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that nobody has pulled a Karl Malone RC yet. There's a card I'd love to have in a PSA 10. >>

easy! There is one in the mile high auction running now, also a COMPLETE psa 10 set!
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to unload some 9ish commons I am down to only needing 50 cards to finish my set in all 9.

I would love to buy a Jordan off someone if it gets a 9. Then I can say it came from the group rip, even though I didn't rip it.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    mine didn't show up again. weird. not like i live in some out of the way place (L.A.)
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Jordan's so far. It's cool to see them.
  • Options
    hopefully we'll have some more rips today... I've been keeping track of best pack pulls on the main page please let me know if you would like to add some thing or if I missed you.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Kudos to all those that participated........................(hold on) i have to nuke another bag of popcorn...................ok go ahead!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    no packs ripped yet today??
  • Options

<< <i>no packs ripped yet today?? >>

I ripped an 89 Donruss rack pack.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Score!!

UPS dropped off my pack at 6 pm tonight and although I can't see the name on the sticker the wordage I can make out indicates it is the Jordan sticker (I have a SGC 96 one already)!! The card showing on top is Alvin Adams (card #2) so if I read Steve's post right the next card in that sequence would be Kareem. We'll never know as I going to leave it sealed. image

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    okay, the odds of my packs (still not here) being anything other than junk is getting really low. we have all jordan stickers gone and one jordan left. big waste of cash, eh? maybe i'll try to get it back at ebay. we'll see...
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Score!!

UPS dropped off my pack at 6 pm tonight and although I can't see the name on the sticker the wordage I can make out indicates it is the Jordan sticker (I have a SGC 96 one already)!! The card showing on top is Alvin Adams (card #2) so if I read Steve's post right the next card in that sequence would be Kareem. We'll never know as I going to leave it sealed. image

John >>

Congrats on the nice pack. Might be one to consider grading.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options

<< <i>Score!!UPS dropped off my pack at 6 pm tonight and although I can't see the name on the sticker the wordage I can make out indicates it is the Jordan sticker (I have a SGC 96 one already)!! The card showing on top is Alvin Adams (card #2) so if I read Steve's post right the next card in that sequence would be Kareem. We'll never know as I going to leave it sealed. imageJohn >>

John ... would that also mean the card after Kareem is the checklist? Hmm ... could be interesting!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug