Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mike's TTM items and other autos - Latest New Additions

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Two new returns today...

Started a 1981 World Champion Celtics Media Guide and added HOFer Robert Parish. Immediately sent for Cedric Maxwell (MVP of 81 Finals) to sign at a signing on Saturday

Also added signature #4 to my 1979 World Champion Supersonics Media Guide. Mr Dennis Awtrey. On it's way to Fred Brown next

• << <i>Great stuff, as always!

Billy Cannon, LSU Heisman winner from '59, is usually a pretty easy get. >>

I should photocopy a $100 bill and have him autograph it.
    Couple brief additions to collection today...

Added BB HOF RC of Sparky Anderson

and added 5th signature to Heisman program...Mr. Johnny Lattner.

Heisman program is not going to have guys that charge until I'm done with all free guys. I can probably fit 10-12 more guys on it before I call it quits. About 5 more guys sign for free.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Nice additions.

Did Sparky do a TTM for you? Did he charge?

Mine came back stating that he was not doing TTMs anymore.

Edited to add: MAYBE it came back stating that he was now charging.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Many thanks go out to Bill (InitialD) for alerting me to this private signing!!!

Added two items signed by The Black Jesus...Earl Monroe. Yeah, the white media insisted he be called Earl The Pearl, but the schoolyard legend from Philly's real nickname was The Black Jesus.

Actually, I didn't know inscriptions were free. If so, I would have preferred that to The Pearl, but whatever. I'm really happy...

Added a 1969 Topps RC and a 1972-73 World Champion New York Knicks media guide. Now getting Reed, Frazier, Bradley, Lucas and Jackson will be a fun challenge.

THANKS AGAIN BILL!

Couple new ones today...

I sent this 1975 OPC Rick Burleson rookie out when Nick (Nam812) sent it to me almost a year ago. I mailed it almost immediately. Well, a year later it returned signed with the return address blacked out

also, I started a new media guide that will be one of my favorites if I can finish it. The 1972-73 Indiana Pacers won the ABA title. I managed to pick up a media guide and it looks like a lot of the guys on the cover sign free.

Added first signature - Mr George McGinnes. Next it's off to the coach - Bob "Slick" Leonard

One really great return today and two annoyances...

Added Baseball HOFer Al Kaline RC image

Also got back two other packages...

The first was from Bryan Trottier who I mailed a rookie card to about 6 months ago. In the envelope was a generic POS card that might even be autopenned. And he kept my rookie. C'mon dude, at least send the card I paid money for BACK!

Also had sent a Cedric Maxwell rookie card and a 1981 Celtics Media Guide to a signing in Massachusetts.

The rookie came back signed nicely - no complaints

But the media guide, which had already been signed by Robert Parish was signed RIGHT OVER HIS NAME by Cedric Maxwell. Needless to say, I was disappointed. If I hadn't already paid $60 for Kevin McHale to sign it next week I'd throw it out and find another to start over. I'm trying to see if the promoter will make it right somehow, but there is not much he can do...

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Kaline!!! The program looks good to, I wouldn't sweat it myself.

Did you get the signed golf cards I sent??

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    WTG the Kaline is sick!! Trottier did the same crap with my RC. I would also be a little anoyed that Maxwell signed over the Parish. However, it does still have very nice eye apeal.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    As always, great stuff Mike!!!
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    did it cost for the kaline?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

<< <i>did it cost for the kaline? >>

I put $10 cash in with the card
    Mike ... I don't think the Maxwell is that bad. If it was more than the LOOP that overlapped I'd be mad ... but it really does not look bad the way it is. JMO.

Kaline looks AWESOME! What does he charge?

I had no problems with the card I sent to Trottier in April 2009. Of course it was NOT his Rookie card. Can't believe it happened to TWO of you! Here is the sig I have ... not exactly the same as yours ... HOPEFULLY it's a good sig.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    A few new additions today...

3 new cards:
    FB HOFer Russ Grimm RC
    1969 Basketball Neal Walk
    1990 ProSet Golf Dale Douglass (and one extra for John S)

and one of my 6 Missing in Action Media Guides (some REALLY nice guides like the 72 Lakers, 71 Bucks, 75 Warriors and 79 Sonics ones pictured in this thread have all been gone longer than a month!!!!)

John McKenzie - the 6th signer on my 72 Bruins program. I wish it came back two days ago so I could have had Espo sign it this weekend at a show in MA, but I'm just glad it's back!

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Some fabulous old school hoops here. I love the Monroe stuff.

For anybody who doesn't know about him, look Neal Walk up. He's a very interesting guy.

This is the second Grimm rookie with the HOF inscription I've seen here. They make me very happy.
    Pretty good last couple of days...

In the mail yesterday added:

FB HOFer Bobby Bell signed RC
    1969 BKB player Jeff Mullins (nice guy) - added his own card too

And two board members scored some really nice items for me today

Jswieton got my Willie McCovey RC signed in Chicago - Thanks John!

and InitialD got my Kevin McHale RC and 1981 Celtics Media Guide signed in Burlington, MA - plus we chatted on the phone. Bill rules! Thank you, sir!

Two new ones today...

Added Emmette Bryant to my 1969 Basketball set...now 27/98 on that set with 3-4 new ones outstanding TTM

Also added the Coach of the 72-73 ABA Champion Pacers to my Media Guide. Off to Billy Keller next

Some new ones over the last 4 days...

Added:
    FB HOF RC Tommy McDonald from Philly signing
    Phil Simms RC TTM

Also added 2 signatures to my 73 ABA Champion Pacers Media Guide. I mailed it to Billy Keller and he also added Darnell Hillman for me (I love when that happens). Unfortunately Hillman signed over the picture next to his own instead of right on his like the others. Oh well, I still like it.

Also added the first signature on 1970 NBA Champion Knicks Media Guide - Cazzie Russell. Every other signature on this one will have to be paid for at some provate signing or another in the future. BOO! image

WTG MIKE ... some very interesting autos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

WTG with the Simms. I did not expect to get mine back signed. Returns like that are what keep looking in the mail box everyday fun and exciting. You never know what's going to be in there. I also love the Tommy McDonald.
    Great returns today...

Added:
    CARDS
    FB HOF RC Bob Griese (I had counted this one as lost - sent about 9 mos ago)
    1969 BKB player Larry Siegfried (this was a test so I can send a big item to him later)

MULTI PROJECTS:
    Bill Walton on 1978 Blazers Media Guide - not a multi project, I just love that picture of Walton. Got him from a SCN member signing
    Fred Brown on 1979 World Champion Sonics Media Guide. He also added World Champions like I requested. He was the captain. I figured it was appropriate
    Jim Plunkett on Multi Heisman project. again added by the same SCN member for me. I figure about 10 more sigs will fit on this before I retire it.

CONGRATS Mike! I know how you enjoy getting those programs autographed ... now enjoy them!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Nice Griese!! I though he stoped signing TTM.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    For the record, Trottier signed 2/4 stickers I mailed to him, and kept the other two. Why the heck does he do that? Anyways, I mailed 2 MORE to him...watch him sign 1/2 and keep one...image

Mike, I don't believe they are autopen.

Great stuff!
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    btw - my experience so far with Islanders has been pretty bad. Goring's signatures were badly smeared (only smeared signatures out of 200+ stickers signed), Trottier kept half, Potvin returned them unsigned, the rest are still out there...

Ken Morrow is the only Islander who has signed everything for me, he's quick and his signatures are beautiful. Will even put "1980 USA Gold" if you request.

edit to add: I've heard on other sites people say Islanders alumni from the early '80's is pretty sour about lack of recognition for their drive for 5, IDK if there is any truth to that.

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That McHale RC is in greta shape
    Couple new additions today...

Added BKB HOFer Connie Hawkins RC (also now 1/3 of the way done on 69 basketball)

Added Ed Westfall as the 7th member of the 72 Stanley Cup champion Bruins program. Off to Eddie Johnston next

Couple additions over the last 3-4 days.

Added:
    BB HOFer Juan Marichal RC

1969 BKB Mel Counts

Heisman winner John Cappelletti

Keep it up Mike! Looking good.

Did you send Counts a creased card or did he FOLD it when he sent it back?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Keep it up Mike! Looking good.

Did you send Counts a creased card or did he FOLD it when he sent it back? >>

I sent it creased. I'm too broke to afford nice cards! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Keep it up Mike! Looking good.
    Did you send Counts a creased card or did he FOLD it when he sent it back? >>

I sent it creased. I'm too broke to afford nice cards! image >>

LOL ... and I am too broke to send ROOKIE cards! hahaha
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Pretty good couple days. Added:

FB HOF RC Dick Butkus (thanks to DonnieD for getting this in Minnesota)
    FB HOF RC Carl Eller (thanks to DonnieD for getting this in Minnesota)
    1969 BKB Don Ohl (now 32/98)

Added Danny Ainge as the first signature on a 1986 Celtics media guide (thanks to Jeremy on SCN)

Added Steve Kerr as first signature on 99 Spurs media guide

That Butkis is amazing!! Did he charge extra for the HOF inscription?
    Mike,

Nice pickups. I've got a couple Ainge's headed my way that a friend on SCN got signed for me, can't wait to they get here. I saw yours and John's Ainges, very nice.

Mike
    Some new stuff in the mail...

Special thanks to John for attending the Billy Williams signing. The golf cards are part of our joint 90 Pro Set auto venture.

Also added the 8th signature on two different projects:
    1969 Heisman Winner Steve Owens on my Heisman Program (would love advice on when to call this one quits. I'm thinking 3-4 more signatures. Thoughts?)
    Eddie Johnston on 1972 World Champion Bruins program (need to add Orr and Espo soon. I think it has two mail trips left in it).

Been kind of quiet lately because I've been broke and/or saving up for other signings (Bill Russell/Sam Jones/Tom Sanders/John Hannah/Bobby Mitchell/Jerry Lucas/Wes Unseld)

But I was happy to see these three show back up. 2 Baseball HOFers and one MVP/ROY - all from SCN private signings:

BB HOFer Bob Gibson RC
    BB HOFer Lou Brock RC
    1975 ROY/MVP Fred Lynn RC Mini

Mike,

Three real nice cards to have autographed. Enjoy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I always hate hooking up my scanner for one thing so I've been waiting until a few accumulate. This is what's come in since the last post:

Started two new Media Guides and waited for each to have two signatures before posting:

1998-99 World Champion San Antonio Spurs Media Guide, added Jaren Jackson and Steve Kerr to it. Now time to take a shot at David Robinson.

2008-09 World Champion L.A. Lakers Media Guide, added Jordan Farmar IP at a local signing for free and Derek Fisher through a UD signing that they helped me out at as a makeup for another mixup.

Also added cards to two ongoing projects:

1969 Topps BKB added Johnny Egan - now 33/98

1961 Fleer BKB added HOF Bob Pettit - now 18/66

Few new additions over the last couple days...

1969 Topps BKB Tom Van Arsdale now 34/98 on that set. Passed the 1/3 mark!!

1949 Bowman Johnny Pesky RC (Red Sox retired number) Can't afford the leaf version.

Jswieton also sent me these golf autos for our combined effort on 1991 Pro Set (John, I promise to send 10 more out this week!)
    Ray Floyd, Steve Elkington, Lanny Wadkins

And a couple new Media Guide additions
    1989-90 World Champion Pistons - added 2nd signature - Dennis Rodman
    1975-76 World Champion Celtics - added 1st signature - JoJo White

By the way, a few fellow collectors have asked why I would waste time on these media guides. Just wanted to show you what I am thinking...

I see it as a collage of 20 or 25 - one from each championship era team. Unfortunately the Bulls have theirs in ringed form, not bound, so there's really no way to frame one. This is an ever malleable project in my mind - but I've had some fun and received some nice notes back from these guys. I've only had to pay for roughly 5% of the signatures I've received on them so far. i think I could make a nice man cave wall out of them that looks like this using matching frames for all (they're all actually the same size). This project will take at least 3-4 years to finish I think.

Well, this is now my favorite autograph day yet!!!!

Special thanks to Bill (InitialD) for making a lot of this happen for me at three separate signings in Boston.

Let's start with the Media Guide...
    1967-68 was Bill Russell's championship as a coach and the first African American coach to win a title.
    Added Bill Russell, Sam Jones and Tom Satch Sanders to it. All are retired numbers in Boston. Plan on 5 more additions before I'm done...Larry Siegfried, Bailey Howell, Wayne Embry, John Havlicek and Don Nelson. All except Siegfried are HOFers. This will be a top 3 piece in my collection if I can finish it. (#1 is tied - Players Championship Flag signed by every winner and 57 Celtics team signed ball)

Now, on to the mini helmet...
    Patriots Hall of Famers John Hannah and Andre Tippett added to this mini in blue. Will add Mike Haynes and Nick Buoniconti when they do signings. Love this one!

They also added a free lithograph that Bill sent me out with my stuff. Bill, again, I seriously owe you.

And finally, the cards:
    Added:
    BKB HOFer Sam Jones signed RC
    BKB HOFer Bill Walton signed RC (this is from a signing 6 months ago and I finally got it back. The promoter is still holding an Elgin Baylor RC of mine hostage)
    FB HOFer John Hannah signed RC
    FB HOFer Andre Tippett signed RC

A distinctly Boston day I know, but F it, I'm from the Hub and proud of it!

That's a FANTASTIC day!!! Way to go. Nice additions,

Mike
    Mike ... THAT was an AWESOME day! Enjoy them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Media guides are terribly underrated collectibles, signed or otherwise. You have a fabulous looking group there. Who do you have on that '89 Pistons guide?
    Wow, what a day!! I am kicking myself for not getting a RC signed by Hannah and Tipett. The Celtics media guide is SICK!! I would not risk sending that TTM. That is way to nice to gamble on.

<< <i>Media guides are terribly underrated collectibles, signed or otherwise. You have a fabulous looking group there. Who do you have on that '89 Pistons guide? >>

Only Dumars and Rodman so far. No one else signs TTM. Have to wait for signings

Why I started collecting them...

When I looked at people like Navarro and Swieton's card collections, I realized that I could never have a top 50 rookie collection. I just don't have the resources. So what I decided is that I wanted to have something fairly unique. I can't imagine there are a ton of people collecting signed media guides. I really like them. Unfortunately 3-4 are lost in the mail (the 72 Lakers one is KILLING me - lost to Jim McMillian for 3 mos. already w/ 3 HOFers on it). But I really enjoy collecting them. When a bunch get finished, I think I'll have a really nice collage for a wall.

John, I TOTALLY agree about TTMing a piece like that (especially since I now put money into it - which I NEVER do), but I need to finish it to have peace of mind. So it will have to make two TTM trips to ::knocks on wood:: "reliable" signers - Bailey Howell and Larry Siegfried. I'll have to add John Havlicek, Don Nelson and Wayne Embry if/when signings happen.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Love the Beantown auto's.
    Few new additions over the last couple days.

Got Ozzie Smith back from a Tom Orr signing on SCN. Came out pretty well. The HOF inscription doesn't look that great.

Added Dave Hill to John and my mutual 91 ProSet quest

Also received back a 51 Parkhurst that I had sent out 5 months ago from HOFer Allan Stanley. Unfortunately he signed it on the back. I was kind of bummed to see that.

Finally, the 9th signature to the 72 Stanley Cup Champions Bruins program - Don Awrey. Based on SCN;s success rate for Mike Walton, Dallas Smith and Wayne Cashman, I think I'm going to call it quits on this until I add Orr and Esposito at a private signing to be named later.

Three new additions so far this week. Added 2 NFL HOF RC's and one more sig to what is becoming my favorite media guide:

Added:
    NFL HOF RC Mel Renfro - signing in Mass
    NFL HOF RC Bobby Mitchell - signing in OH

Added signature #4 of an eventual 8 to my 1967-68 World Champion Celtics Media Guide - NBA HOFer Bailey Howell TTM image

One addition the last couple days, but a super nice one...Mike Ditka!

Got this one from an SCN member who attended a golf tournament that he played in. i was worried about sending kind of a nice card. It's probably EX.

Apparently he wasn't adding HOF to anything else but really liked the card and just did it image