Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mike's TTM items and other autos - Latest New Additions

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Nice additions, you are amassing quite a nice collection.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

Nice additions, you are amassing quite a nice collection.

Mike >>

HA! Coming from the master, I'll take that compliment to the bank! image
    Happy to see my Blazers World Championship season Media Guide return today. Added Larry Steele. Now I really need some help. Bill Walton is who should be added next but hes a VERY infrequent TTM signer. Anyone know him or someone who knows him that could get this done? Know of any signings coming up? I have no money to pay but I would probably sell some stuff if there was a signing for under $100 coming up anywhere. Thanks in advance if you know of a way to help.

Also added a baseball HOF RC to my collection. Mr Fergie Jenkins. I believe I sent him $10 with the card. I had a nice cash of a couple hundred bucks in a buddy's poker game and sent out a couple baseball HOF RC's with cash plus a George Blanda RC with $20 that I got back unsigned with my cash returned - odd.

Well, Nathan (ROCKDJRW) was really awesome and got these for me at the recent Chicago show. They were my wedding present to myself.

Luis Aparicio RC

Jim Palmer RC

And these two came back in today's mail.

Rollie Fingers cost $8 in the mail and Bill Dudley was free

And while I'm here I was cleaning out a closet to make room for new wedding gift stuff and found this..didn't even remember I had it. I'm consdering asking Doran to make a card out of it. It's way smaller than the scan.

3 time British Open winner Henry Cotton. Won it before WWII and after.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW mike ... real nice returns. Knowing how big of a golf fan you are, I would DEFINITELY have Doran make you a custom made!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Was VERY pleased to see the mail today. The Kareem is certainly PSA 1 quality with spiderweb creases all through the front, but that's why I felt like it was worth losing in the mail (if it never came back). But I'm super excited at how it came out. Also, nice sig from reliable signer Larry Little. I have had a bunch of notable outstanding cards for awhile too. Anyone had any successes recently from Billy Williams, Herb Adderly, Bill Gadsby?

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent a '61 lake to lake adderley at least 2 months ago and nothing so far.

SWEET KAREEM!!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the Lou sig Mike.

I noticed he left out the Kareem - I didn't realize he signed that way - ya learn something every day!

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
    Glad to see that you got back the Kareem!!!! AWESOME CARD!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Couple of new returns today. The first is something that's been back and forth a few times since my last picture of it...

US Amateur Chamipions Golf Flag multiple signatures. Additions since last post have been:

Bob Dickson (1967)
    Nathaniel Crosby (Bing's son!) (1981)
    Deane Beman (1960/1963)
    Vinny Giles (1972)
    Hal Sutton (1980)
    Lanny Wadkins (1970)

It'll kep going out to other older champions. Nee dto add Palmer and Nicklaus at some point. Then Mickelson in the Spring and Woods if I can (but that'll be tough).

And, the 8th signature on my 1977 World Champion Portland Trail Blazers program. Added Lloyd Neal. Now I think it's Bill Walton or bust. I'm going to send to his home address with $500 of insurance and $20. If it gets opened I bet he'll sign it. But it could go in his trash before opening. I HOPE NOT!!!

• Don't send it to Walton. I'd wait for a private signing.
    Three returns today...rookie cards of Steve Grogan, Don Ohl and HOFer George Blanda.

Three nice ones Mike ... but Mr. Blanda, why did you sign across the chest? Below in the white would have been so much better!!!!! HOWEVER, it's so nice knowing that these guys take time out of their day for the fans!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Two new ones...

The first is a Robert Parish HOF RC. Really happy with this. It was a BGS 8 crackout. Looks pretty. I'm almost halfway to a Celtics Retired numbers signed rookie set.

And next is our national champion...

2009 US Open champion Lucas Glover on a 09 US Open Bethpage Black golf ball. I now have 32 different US Open winners on golf balls.

And Lucas must be a loyal Nike guy. I didn't ask for one, but he also sent me back one of his own Nike golf balls signed - COOL! Thanks Lucas!!

Congratulations on the Parish Mike!

Super card also!

mike
    Mike
    Ok, what can I say. Against the advice of a few board members, I sent this out last Friday. I wrote a two page note about reading Breaks of the Game (which I loved) and how much I admire Mr. Walton, Dr Ramsay and John Wooden. Well, today I get this back...

enclosed was this...

I am floored. What a great guy. I had also enclosed $10 as a thank you and he returned it to me. This is certainly my second favorite piece to my Celtics ball and will look awesome in a frame. But for those that will PM me for an address...I had sent him a card to sign at the same address six months ago (after reading the book) and it never came back. I have to imagine seeing the whole team on there influenced his decision to sign it. THANKS MR. WALTON!!!

Also, as a side note, this one came back after 5 months today image

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Awesome success on Bill Walton and Boggs. That signed Celtics piece is great. The silver sigs look really nice on it.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Walton item and story. I love the note. Anybody who has ever heard him talk can recognize his enthusiasm.

If you haven't read it, and you like the NBA, I echo Mike's recommendation of David Halberstam's superb Breaks of the Game. He makes a good case that the following year's team was even better and on it's way to a repeat when Bill was injured.

They also let Moses Malone slip through their fingers when the ABA players were dispersed throughout the rest of the NBA. Just imagine that team with that big man added to their lineup.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work on the Walton Mike. Big risk = big reward.

Whats your next multi sig project?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that Walton note and auto is awesome! That must have taken guts to send it to him, and it's a great story that he signed it and returned it so quickly. Walton gets a lot of flack for his broadcasting style, but this just shows again that he is a class act. Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Great work on the Walton Mike. Big risk = big reward.

Whats your next multi sig project? >>

Well, I'm always working on golf flags - I have a PGA Championship flag signed by 18 guys out to David Graham - the 1979 champion, a US Amateur flag (signed already by 20 winners) out to Buddy Alexander - the Univ. of Florida golf coach and 1986 champ and a second Players Championship flag (signed by 10 winners) out to John Mahaffey.

One thing I'm also working on is a Notre Dame Heisman winners mini-helmet. With Bob's (Bottom9th) assistance, I have the mini helmet signed by Johnny Lattner and Paul Hornung. It's in the mail to Johnny Lujack right now. Next will be John Huarte. Tim Brown will be the final living guy to sign it but he costs $100 which is too much for me at the moment.

As for other stuff, I have some ideas. I'd like to do a 1971 Milwaukee Bucks program or media guide. It'd be awesome if I got 5-6 guys then added Kareem and the Big O. I wanted to do a baseball signed by the '75 Red Sox but I tried sending to Luis Tiant first and never got it back. I think my next big one if I get some money is a New England Patriots Hall of Fame football. I've never owned a signed football before and it'd be fairly easy to do Hannah, Haynes, Buoniconti and Tippet. The trick will be adding current guys as they go into the Hall. I'm always open to ideas! image

For those dumb enough to try this, I'll say again that two years ago I lost a US Open golf flag sent to Orville Moody in the mail. It was signed by 25 winners and delivered to his house. I never saw it again and even tried calling. They say they never saw it. He died last year. It's not ever coming back. That thing was worth at least $400-500. Now I insure everything when I send it but a lot of it is irreplaceable. Tread carefully!!!
    Mike,

AWESOME RETURNS! WTG! Good luck with your next project ... whatever it may be!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    very nice congrats!!!!

nice boggs too
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Wow I'll truly eat my words on this one. You took a risk and it paid off. You got lucky my friend.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, Very nice piece, Congrats on the Walton, I love watching these threads that you and Mike Navarro keep constantly updated, seeing you're successes TTM.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.........You got lucky my friend. >>

Luck favors the prepared.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Walton piece. I'm a huge Walton fan, he's a class act.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Nice job on the Walton sig. I grew up in Oregon during the time of their Championship in '77. Such great memories of a great team, one of the best fast breaking teams ever IMO. "Rebound to Walton outlet to Twardzik to Davis for a layin". Unbelievable team. The only Championship I've seen in my life from the local team in my 46 years. Pretty slim here in Seattle. Good luck with the rest. Off the top of my head you still need. Robin Jones,and Wally Walker, Herm Gilliam is deceased, I'm sue there are a few more, I used to remember all of them but It's been awhile. Good luck with it. Doug
    Few new successes today. Bob (Bottom9th) was cool enough to get this mini helmet signed for me at the national by Johnny Lattner and Paul Hornung. So I sent it this week to Johnny Lujack who returned it to me today. This week it'll go to John Huarte. Then when I get some cash I'll have Tim Brown sign it and have all five living Notre Dame Heisman winners.

Mini Helmet

Paul Hornung

Johnny Lattner

Johnny Lujack

And a couple of cards returned this week from NFL HOFer Tom Mack and Red Sox legend Bill Monbouquette.

Mike ... very nice returns ... good luck with the ND Helmet!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Couple new ones today. Two baseball Hall of Famers who both have 1938 Goudey Heads Up rookies but many consider 39 Play Ball and 48 Bowman acceptable for RC's.

Mr Bobby Doerr and Mr Bob Feller.

Mike ... pretty kewl getting autos on 70 year old cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

When this came back today, I checked the thread to see when I had last updated this item. It had been a long time. I've since added six past PGA champions to it:

David Graham
    Al Geiberger
    Jack Burke Jr
    Don January
    Dow Finsterwald
    Gary Player

Doug Ford will be the last stop before next years local Tour events. i can't add Nicklaus or Trevino by mail and all the other guys are still playing. Why would I bother putting it in the mail?

So here it is: 2003 PGA Championship flag signed by 18 past champions.
    Those multi-signed flags are really special. Good luck with the remaining sigs!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Couple of returns this week.

The first is a logo golf ball from the 09 US Womens Open. The winner - Eun Hee Ji signed it and sent it back

And then 2 cards from former Red Sox 3B Frank Malzone, including is 55 Bowman RC which is in PSA's all time Red Sox set (the basis for what Red Sox cards I mail out)

Kind of fitting that this came back today. The U.S. Amateur 36 hole final is tomorrow (Sunday). I'll be rooting for Ben Martin to defeat the young Korean amateur, Byeong-Hun An, if only because it'll be much easier to get this flag signed if an American wins! image

There have been a few additions since I last updated this thread with it...

Buddy Alexander (86)
    Chris Patton (89)
    John Fought (77)

Mike

The amateur championship flag is incredible.

Some of the players didn't put the date - do you have an updated list of what's on there with the dates? Are you gonna try and get some of the players like Palmer, Nicklaus e.g?

Very nice
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>
    The amateur championship flag is incredible.

Some of the players didn't put the date - do you have an updated list of what's on there with the dates? Are you gonna try and get some of the players like Palmer, Nicklaus e.g?
    >>

Thanks Mike, I think very highly of the Us Am. I think it's the toughest tournament in the world to win. You have to survive 180 guys in stroke play (after local qualifying) to get down to 64, then win five matches in three days before a grueling 36 hole final. Arnold Palmer always said it was the victory that he's most proud of.

I have a golf ball collection that I have not cataloged with photos of every living winner except Tiger and Mickelson who don't sign balls. Everyone else is in my rack. So to answer your question...yes, I intend to get every living winner to sign if I can. The guys that dated it are primarily guys that I mailed it to who are very proud of their win. On it now are:

John Fought, Billy Maxwell, Bruce Fleisher, Matt Kuchar, Bob Murphy, Jeff Quinney, Lanny Wadkins, Skee Riegel, Chris Patton, Sam Urzetta, Ryan Moore, Nathaniel Crosby, Ricky Barnes, Deane Beman, Bob Dickson, John Harris, John Cook, Marvin Giles, Scott Verplank, Jerry Pate, Gene Littler, Buddy Alexander and Hal Sutton (23 winners total).

Next it will be in the mail to Mitch Voges, the 1991 winner. The other outstanding signers that I would need are (in order of oldest victory to most recent): Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Bill Campbell, Gary Cowan, Craig Stadler, Fred Ridley, Bill Sander, Mark O'Meara, Jay Sigel, Billy Mayfair, Eric Meeks, Phil Mickelson, Voges, Justin Leonard, Tiger Woods, Hank Kuehne, David Gossett, Bubba Dickerson, Nick Flanagan, Edoardo Molinari, Richie Ramsay, Colt Knost, Danny Lee (23 winners total).

So the moral of the story is I'm halfway home on that one. Some will be tough (Tiger in particular) and I'm not sure if I have enough room for all. Will give it my best though.
    Mike,

ANOTHER very nice project! Good luck with all the autos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great job Mike on your newest additions. Thanks again for sharing.

-brian

<< <i>So the moral of the story is I'm halfway home on that one. Some will be tough (Tiger in particular) and I'm not sure if I have enough room for all. Will give it my best though. >>

That's one of the most impressive items I've seen Mike.

If you could get them squeezed on without going to the back? It would be one of the greatest golf items out there!

Good luck - sure would be nice if there were an event where ya could knock off a nice chunk at one time - you would think Tiger would be proud to sign with the company he would be in.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
    Three new cards back in the mail today. 3 different sports. 2 HOF RCs and one Celtic that I've been trying to get for awhile.

Tom "Satch" Sanders...I'm now 8/20 on Celtics Retired Number rookies (Auerbach and Brown don't have RC's that I know of). Outstanding cards to Ramsey and Maxwell.
    Also now 22/98 on 1969 Topps Basketball

Rich "Goose" Gossage HOF RC (sent $10 donation with it)

Peter Stastny HOF RC (my 3rd hockey HOF RC, and I have one out to Bill Gadsby)

I was very pleased to see this baby come back today. Now have four of the five living Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winners on this mini helmet. Only missing Tim Brown.

Here it is: John Huarte!

And two new cards. I had mailed these a long long time ago to Satch Sanders. At least 8 months apart. Now I have two LOL. And added a 61 Fleer Bailey Howell IA.

a few new ones over the last couple days.

2 from 81 Donruss golf which is a joint venture with TheNavarro. And a HOF RC of Celtics legend Frank Ramsey.

Couple new ones today...the first is from a cheap signing - HOFer Jimmy Johnson (I'm upset about the smudge from a signing that I had to pay for). Also another addition to 81 Golf - Gibby Gilbert

Nice Mike ... but I agree with you. To get a sig back (THAT YOU PAID FOR) with a smudge ... SUCKS!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff!!!

Waiting still on my JJ. Sorry to see the smudging. Hope I fare a little better.
    Bunch of new returns this week. A couple HOF RC Basketball cards:

Mr. Bob Cousy and Mr. Clyde Lovellette!

Then added two more to Navarro and my joint 1981 golf venture:

Ed Fiori and Jack Renner

Then i got back a 2009 British Open logo golf ball signed by the winner - Stewart Cink. Nice clear auto. I'm now up to 30 different British Open winners on golf balls.

And a couple golf flag returns from Major Champions:

Multi Champion signed PGA Championship flag - added 1956 winner Doug Ford

Multi PLAYERS Championship flag #2 - added 1986 winner John Mahaffey

• Mike- Very nice collection you got there! I'm lovin all the BK HOFer Auto's especially that Cousy!
    Congrats,
    Dan
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Vito,

I'm loving this thread!

You the man!!

Joey
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC