Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    All of us here know the truth about John Nanney, label or not!

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm only going to quote part of Ray's text to illustrate my feelings on this coin.

<< <i>The First 18 months on E-Bay.....We must realize that ALOT of good folks on E-Bay are Flippers by nature and not true collectors. Soo these,like any other hot item, are just a commodity to be moved for a Profit. When the Profit is No Longer there and the Flipping Stops, soo go the Sales. >>

This is the EXACT and ONLY reason the prices on the 08/07 coins surged so high! The estimated mintage figure only added additional fueled to the fires.

<< <i>Soo we need to seperate Collectors from Flippers >>

This is oh so very important! Flippers are not collectors yet collectors can be flippers. Who in their right mind would not sell something for $400 that costs them $25.95?

<< <i>.............. here we now have "Recognized" Die Varieties by all of the Major Third Party Grading Services. This is Important to the Collecting Community not the Flippers. An age old Question we must visit as well is "How much is it worth"? In Most Cases, Rarity plays a part in this equation, but not always. >>

This is the aftermath! The part where real value comes into play. The part where exactly how many collectors feel they MUST have this coin for their sets. The part where the collector's want is translated into real dollars. Often times, during the aftermath, when the dust has settled, and folks realize that these are readily available, they hold off on the big bids! I am referring specifically to COLLECTOR's since the flippers have moved on to something else.

<< <i>.......The answer has been because they want it NOW. It's not rare,or something that will vanish forever,but people have peculiar habits and are driven by the need to be FIRST as if it shows superiority or power. >>

As a collectible, this coin will have to wait many, many years as Silver Eagles are ONLY bullion. Not really coins but yet, still very popular. When the popularity fades............so do the prices. Just because it was extrememly popular last month, does not in any way mean it will be extremely popular in 5 years. Especially if they are "readily" available.

Ask yourself why the Washington 1932-S Quarter, with a mintage of 408,000, does not even come close to a 1932-D, with a mintage of 436,800, in the MS60 and higher grades? Simple, the 1932-S is "readily" available in the higher grades because folks stuck them away and the population reports validate that.
    Compare this with a Silver Eagle which is nearly exclusively MS69 or (in the case of NGC) MS70 and these coins quickly become "readily" available. You could buy one right this very moment if you wanted to but how many really want to buy them right now at the excalated prices? How many of those BIN buttons are actually getting pressed?

It doesn't matter if you have 47,000 or 47, if collector's aren't willing to pay for them they simply won't buy them. You can price these to the moon and back and spout all the mintage facts and relationships to the 1995-W Proof statistics you want but if collector's aren't listening, well, they just will not buy.

No, the reverse of 07 will not go away but I believe that it's price has not really settled yet. It's still too early to tell but trends seem to indicate that it is back sliding a bit. How far it drops, is anybodies guess.

Those folks that have mini-hoards in hopes of cashing in in 5 or so years, really need to read what HIGHLOWLEAVES and RayNY2E have said about their particular stashes.

Ray kept the "collectible" portion but sold the rest ("I Did sell all of MY MS-67 Sets,including the Discovery sets at a time when i needed to do that, but i kept all my 66 sets including Discovery Sets").

HIGHLOWLEAVES (who has always been a HUGE wisconsin supporter), in this thread asked "So, are the WI coins dead after their unwarranted run up on Ebay back in 2006 (I actually think it was 2005 - Lee) and their large decline ever since ? I am really trying to understand if the WI coins merit futher buying consideration or not. Comments...."

So, as they say on eBay, you be the judge as the folks that have witnessed this stuff in the past have shared theur experiences with you.

PS: Do a forum search on Wisconsin AND extra in the Title or Body on the US Forum, for a historical perspective.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There should be no debate at all on what caused the extra leaf. They are just too perfect to have been anything else than deliberate. They will become very valuable in years to come as will the 08 rev 07.

<< <i>There should be no debate at all on what caused the extra leaf. They are just too perfect to have been anything else than deliberate. They will become very valuable in years to come as will the 08 rev 07. >>

The debate over what "caused" the extra leaf is one that came up in an attempt to add "value" to the coin and would have hopefully fueled collector interest. So far, it has not.

Many folks felt that the addition of the coin to the Redbook would have "added value" to the coin. So far, it has not.

Some folks were elated to see it listed, with its own numbers, on the CCE and that this would bring the coin around in collectible value. So far, it has not.

All of the above scenario's regarding the Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters have been repeated for the 2008 Reverse of 07 SAE. (With the exception of the Greysheet)

I suspect that the outcome will be the same as the coin is readily available.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • As for the 08 07 reverse just like the stock market, the leafs, the presidential errors, this too will have its correction and this is what we are seeing and what we will probably see for the next year or so. I expect raw prices to settle around $350 and go up from there. It took the 95W a bullish coin market and a thriving economy to get to where it is today and this is over 13 years now. 5 years from now I see the 08/07 reverse selling for $1000, 10 years $2000, but it will not happen overnight.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What happened here?

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

I expect the price was relatively low because it was not a First Strike™ slab. >>

Please say it ain't so. $1100 for a meaningless label.image >>

Please say it ain't so!!! 1/2 million dollars for a low grade disc of copper!!!
  • >

<< <i>

<< <i>There should be no debate at all on what caused the extra leaf. They are just too perfect to have been anything else than deliberate. They will become very valuable in years to come as will the 08 rev 07. >>

The debate over what "caused" the extra leaf is one that came up in an attempt to add "value" to the coin and would have hopefully fueled collector interest. So far, it has not.

Many folks felt that the addition of the coin to the Redbook would have "added value" to the coin. So far, it has not.

Some folks were elated to see it listed, with its own numbers, on the CCE and that this would bring the coin around in collectible value. So far, it has not.

All of the above scenario's regarding the Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters have been repeated for the 2008 Reverse of 07 SAE. (With the exception of the Greysheet)

I suspect that the outcome will be the same as the coin is readily available. >>

<

Apples and oranges.How many extra leaf collectors are there compared to ASE collectors that will need this coin to complete the set.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>

<< <i>

I suspect that the outcome will be the same as the coin is readily available. >>

<

Apples and oranges.How many extra leaf collectors are there compared to ASE collectors that will need this coin to complete the set. >>

That's more like apples and oranges, imho.
    Compare the SAE collectors to the SHQ collectors and that is more apples to apples.

We sold our SAE PCGS MS69 set over a year ago, but still collect them raw and have some slabbed. I would like one of these but don't feel I need it to complete the set.
    I also don't feel that the WI extra leaf quarters are necessary to complete the set (we have those as well).

I don't think the 1955/55 DDO lincoln is "necessary" to complete the lincoln set. I also don't think the 1922 no D is necessary.

The point is that for many collectors, any variant outside of the year/MM coins are not necessary.

PCGS/NGC may make them necessary for their registries, but that is another story image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Can't wait to see the US Mints response to Lopes FOIA request about the population of these 08 /07 reverses. In 20 days right? image
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Me too! I think it read something less than 20 days. Glad to see this thread back on topic!image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2008 REV 2007 ASE has been added to the PCGS ASE registery set......hasn't it?

John Nanney.....I would listen to board member Jesse's advice and go to the news media with your discovery story.
  • 122 Auctions for the 2008 Reverse 2007 with 10 ending today.image

• << <i>The 2008 REV 2007 ASE has been added to the PCGS ASE registery set......hasn't it?

John Nanney.....I would listen to board member Jesse's advice and go to the news media with your discovery story. >>

]
    Yup, it's also in the PCGS ASE registry set now.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup, it's also in the PCGS ASE registry set now. >>

YES!! image

The coin everybody loves to hate keeps on chugging along.image
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    they claimed they didn't anticipate "more than two weeks past the date of this letter" which they dated July 1st.
    That would make two weeks TODAY. So maybe sometime in the next week I can look for another response!

FOIA letter
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 2008 REV 2007 ASE has been added to the PCGS ASE registery set......hasn't it?

John Nanney.....I would listen to board member Jesse's advice and go to the news media with your discovery story. >>

]
    Yup, it's also in the PCGS ASE registry set now. >>

okay, i give up you guys win!

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    i'll bet your left leg that if you contacted CNN and told them you discovered this error, and explained what's been going on with it since it was discovered.. that they wouldn't have a CLUE what you're talking about.. or any interest in putting it on the air.. nor would MSNBC, FOX, or any other mass-media outlet.. just a hunch.. i could be wrong.. try

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • John i would start off by saying this to the media" For the past 20+ years of the US Mint producing the American Silver Eagle i John Nanny Discovered an Error/Variety with this years new design change for the 2008 coin. And when i brought this to NGC's attention they stepped up to the plate presenting my Discovery as if it was their own..." Lets see if that doesn't get their attention.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'll bet your left leg that if you contacted CNN and told them you discovered this error, and explained what's been going on with it since it was discovered.. that they wouldn't have a CLUE what you're talking about.. or any interest in putting it on the air.. nor would MSNBC, FOX, or any other mass-media outlet.. just a hunch.. i could be wrong.. try

Harv >>

okay your are or you aren't going to bet your left leg??

<< <i>>

<< <i>

<

Apples and oranges.How many extra leaf collectors are there compared to ASE collectors that will need this coin to complete the set. >>

I guess I don;t understand your statement of "apples to oranges" since:

Both coins are "Moderns"
    Both coins are "varieties/errors"
    Both coin have folks that are doing all they can to get the coins recognized as "valuable rarities" in order to get the prices as high as possible.

The reality is that many don't view them as "necessities" to "complete" a set much less a rarity since both are readily available.

Both coins enjoyed tremendous hype and flipping experiences on eBay.

So why would you think this is an invalid comparison?

The name is LEE!

• << <i>i'll bet your left leg that if you contacted CNN and told them you discovered this error, and explained what's been going on with it since it was discovered.. that they wouldn't have a CLUE what you're talking about.. or any interest in putting it on the air.. nor would MSNBC, FOX, or any other mass-media outlet.. just a hunch.. i could be wrong.. try

Harv >>

I agree the Wisconsin Leafs and Washington Smooth Edges received national mainstream press because these were available in banks and collected by the everyday non-hardcore coin collector, whereas with this 2008/2007 reverse this is more of a collectible amongst hardcore coin collectors. Great story for coinworld or any other coin magazine, but for CNN or USA Today, I highly doubt they would do a story on it. In other words, when the leafs and Washington smoothies were out anyone could look through their change or go to their local bank and find a few hundred dollar coin, whereas this you have to order through the Mint.
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    News outlets are too busy covering the much more important Favre issue!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    What ever happened to him, I know he was getting pretty old but thought his health was good?image

• << <i>

<< <i>Yup, it's also in the PCGS ASE registry set now. >>

YES!! image

The coin everybody loves to hate keeps on chugging along.image >>

So when does this get into the PCGS price guide??

<< <i>News outlets are too busy covering the much more important Favre issue! >>

He can't make up his mind if he wants to play or not. Tough life!
    Git your butt back to the top of Page One!

Right now!

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What happened here?

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

Wow...I wish I was the buyer. How the heck did I miss a deal like that??? >>

Does appear to be a good deal IMO. But I bet the relatively new seller (only 15 feedback) factored into this.
    Also, I'm surprised this auction didn't get nuked...he says "THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS COIN."
    And perhaps all the mumbo jumbo about our troops as well. Not sure why that is in an ebay auction for a coin.

Edited: Just noticed he only has $200 in Paypal buyer protection as well. >>

Just wanted to Follow Up on This Purchase from the New seller. He's actually been on E-Bay for 5 years now,just has'nt done much in that time. I Already have this ASE in my hand as this seller was nice enough to ship it Over Night,at his own expense ($21.00) and wrote a very nice E-Mail. Needless to say i am very Pleased with this Transaction. image Ray in Florida..

• << <i>Just wanted to Follow Up on This Purchase from the New seller. He's actually been on E-Bay for 5 years now,just has'nt done much in that time. I Already have this ASE in my hand as this seller was nice enough to ship it Over Night,at his own expense ($21.00) and wrote a very nice E-Mail. Needless to say i am very Pleased with this Transaction. image Ray in Florida.. >>

Lucky b*stard! image

EDIT: HM...getting harder and harder to find NGC MS 70 Early Releases....

• << <i>

<< <i>Just wanted to Follow Up on This Purchase from the New seller. He's actually been on E-Bay for 5 years now,just has'nt done much in that time. I Already have this ASE in my hand as this seller was nice enough to ship it Over Night,at his own expense ($21.00) and wrote a very nice E-Mail. Needless to say i am very Pleased with this Transaction. image Ray in Florida.. >>

Lucky b*stard! image >>

Thank you Tony, (I Think?) ?? image Ray in Florida..

<< <i>Git your butt back to the top of Page One!

Right now! >>

page one of this thread?.. what *exactly* are you referring to without being vauge, please.. or else my IQ went down 100 points overnight, which is always possible.. i looked at the top of page one of this thread.. message #1.. last Edited on 11 May, 2008.. no comprendo.. hello?..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

Right now! >>

page one of this thread?.. what *exactly* are you referring to without being vauge, please.. or else my IQ went down 100 points overnight, which is always possible.. i looked at the top of page one of this thread.. message #1.. last Edited on 11 May, 2008.. no comprendo.. hello?..

Harv
    image >>

Harv, I think Lee was just bumping it back to page one of the forum. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

<< <i>

<< <i>

Right now! >>

Harv
    image >>

Harv, I think Lee was just bumping it back to page one of the forum. image >>

okay.. but the way he said it was a weird way to say it, says I.. I thought he was talking to US.. he was talking to the thread (!?)..

Harv

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Right now! >>

Harv
    image >>

Harv, I think Lee was just bumping it back to page one of the forum. image >>

okay.. but the way he said it was a weird way to say it, says I.. I thought he was talking to US.. he was talking to the thread (!?)..

Harv >>

DUH!

I gave up talking to you guys about 8 seconds ago!

image JK

The name is LEE!

<< <i>[
    DUH!

image JK >>

okay funny funny ha ha but what does Jackie Kennedy have to do with it?..

imageimage
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    What is the price of tea in China at 10:20am our time today?

What are you guys talking about huh?

Obtw, I heard somewhere I think it was on CNN that the MINT thinks there were way less than 40,000 variety coins mistakely struck anyone else here this rumor?

<< <i>

<< <i>[
    DUH!

image JK >>

okay funny funny ha ha but what does Jackie Kennedy have to do with it?..

imageimage >>

Too lazy to spell out Just Kidding............

The name is LEE!

<< <i>What is the price of tea in China at 10:20am our time today?

What are you guys talking about huh?

Obtw, I heard somewhere I think it was on CNN that the MINT thinks there were way less than 40,000 variety coins mistakely struck anyone else here this rumor? >>

checking the Chinese tea market, it was.. uhh.. i forget..

I didn't "here" that rumor.. didn't HEAR it either image .. still waiting with garlic.. err.. baited (yuck! a mouth full of worms).. breath for the results of Lope's FOIA request.. then we'll either know the truth.. or we won't know any more than we know now.. see if you can find a Web link on cnn.com to that rumor.. or if it wasn't on CNN.. get yourself hyp-mo-tized and try to remember where you heard it.. unless you're just yanking everyone's chain..

Harv

<< <i>I didn't "here" that rumor.. didn't HEAR it either image .. Harv >>

<< <i>Amzanig!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
    it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
    the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
    The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? >>

I sometimes find the use of the english language a bit difficult myself, but I think I get my point across.

The name is LEE!
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I hope you guy's are not DRIVING. Have a good one ~ David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

<< <i>I hope you guy's are not DRIVING. Have a good one ~ David >>

Good One! image

The name is LEE!
    With 25 cent listing fees from ebay, there should be a mess of listings for these coins coming up.
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't "here" that rumor.. didn't HEAR it either image .. Harv >>

<< <i>Amzanig!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
    it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
    the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
    The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? >>

I sometimes find the use of the english language a bit difficult myself, but I think I get my point across. >>

Just to get way off topic...this is how some people can get 300 wpm or more typing speeds: The trick is to type a word, not a letter. I never got that high, but I did get up to 170 wpm (but I wasn't a truly dedicated typist...just a typographer.

Strange the 4:00am conversations...my new son had better appreciate this someday...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
    posting deleted by me..

always proofread so you don't any words.. especially when you're half-awake..

• Goood morning everybody! Whats going on here about the typing speed and price of tea from china ? What about the coin? Hold...Sell or Buy??? image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Flip a coin (in the air). image

Call it - Heads or Tails! image
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Right now I am on "hold" (HEADS).

I have 5 at NGC.

Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file