Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ah the coveted 5002nd post!!!! YAY!
  • Options
    Whelp, that made my day to see 5,000. I can now sleep at night and enjoy the weekend.
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    Now that 5000 is out of the way, it seems prices are ticking up a little this week !!

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Incredible Discovery and an equally incredible thread!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    PM me your mailing info Jessewvu. I'll send you something nice!

Let me know if you want it shiney though cause I'll have to look for the stupid Dremel!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Come on guys,and gals, LOPE still needs some more contributions.
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    To Lopes,(I hope I got the name right).Send me your paypal address so I can contribute. Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Now that 5000 is out of the way, it seems prices are ticking up a little this week !!

image >>

I agree. Coins are getting scarce...at least the one I'm looking for is.

Hm....this thread does seem to have softened a little bit. Must be 'cause there's not enough news. Oh, by the way, some of you have asked about where I've been. (Thanks for your concern by the way). I've been buying and selling like crazy. Silver and Gold coins. Buy from ebay, sell to B&M stores. I'm selling either at break even, or for the Gold coins, I'm selling at a loss. However, once the Cash Back rebate comes in, I'd have netted over $4000 (still having some difficulty with 2 of the cash back payments though...but MSFT said they're working on them, so I'm glad that they've at least acknowledged them).

$4000...$1800(after 25% cash back) for 3 NGC MS70 Early Releases. That leaves me about $2200 of extra cash. What started out as an attempt to upgrade my raws, MS69's, and one MS70 (non-ER) has turned into an obsession for making money with MSFT's generous Advertising campaign. image

I've learned quite a few things, here and there. Like:

1) NEVER trust a buyer until he commits to buying something at a specific price (I almost got really duped by one guy, "yeah, next week, there's a 70% chance I'd buy at $500, and a 30% chance I'd buy at $450"...next week rolls around? "Well, we're not really looking to buy right now" image (after I bought TEN raws!)

2) Having a buyer/dealer that gives you good honest customer service at a decent price is GOLDEN. I've called around quite a bit, and unfortunately, this just isn't the norm.

3) With any kind of business, there's NEVER a sure thing. God, I've spent so many times, biting my nails, hoping that I could find someone to buy my coins (and causing problems between me and my wife, btw).

4) Buying and selling through ebay isn't as hard as I thought. I learned quite a bit about US Postal Service and their different kinds of shipping methods, including insurance.

5) I REALLY REALLY love the site of precious metals and precious coins...especially in my hands. image

6) I can't ever get tired of this hobby or this business. image
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FOIA Update came in the mail today...

For those of you who know, and for those of you who don't, when you submit a FOIA request you have to make arrangements to
    pay whatever they government agency says the research and duplication costs are. You don't have to pay it, but then again, they
    won't ship you the records.

Thus, the only update from this letter is how much they want for the records. In the letter dated July 15, 2008, it says the following:
    This is to advise you that fees totalling $386.36 have been assessed for research costs of the requested documents. In accordance
    with U.S. Mint Policy, the requested information will be held until payment is received.
    Bold text in original.

Let me just point out that this was not unexpected. The big questions now are...
    (1) Are they hoping that I will get discouraged and will not pay for the records because I am an individual?
    I would not be surprised if most requests die at this point because of similar charges.
    (2) What does one get for $386? Will they just ship me cases of documents that will take a team of young law students years to go through?

I will post the actual letter tomorrow when I can scan it at work.

Oh by the way, now accepting $5 donations to help offset the cost of the FOIA records. Maybe I should put this on the BST now??? image >>

lope send me your paypal address and you can count me in for a 10 spot
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I'm sorry, I was gone for the past couple of days. I just now saw the donations request..... Drop me a PM Lope and give me your address. I'm in for at least ten - but don't do pay pal. Gayla
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, I was gone for the past couple of days. >>

sorry.. once you're here, you're not allowed to leave.. image .. ever been in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland (or one of its clones)?.. of course you have.. who hasn't!?.. know that second dark room you walk into which is actually an elevator that takes you and the rest of the crowd down to the gallery and into the ride?.. this place is kinda like that.. or Satre's play "No Exit".. just imagine the voice of the late Paul Frees booming "you'll notice this room has no windows and no doors.. so your problem is.. TO FIND A WAY OUT! MUAHAHAHAHA.. of course, there's always my way!" {{everybody screams}}..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

I've learned quite a few things, here and there. Like:

1) NEVER trust a buyer until he commits to buying something at a specific price (I almost got really duped by one guy, "yeah, next week, there's a 70% chance I'd buy at $500, and a 30% chance I'd buy at $450"...next week rolls around? "Well, we're not really looking to buy right now" image (after I bought TEN raws!)

>>

Ouch! Tony, glad to see you are still making money or breaking even, but isn't this the EXACT advice I, and many others, offered two or three weeks ago?! Gotta be careful in the PM world.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Thanks, Lope!
    Harv, it's always so nice to see you...
  • Options

<< <i>
    Harv, it's always so nice to see you... >>

Thank you.. you too.. that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since about a month ago, when I was being tortured in the Dentist's chair by the most gorgeous Dental Assistant I have ever seen.. I mean this woman could pass for oh.. maybe Sharon Stone.. and somehow the question of age came up, I think because of the Gold High School Class of 1967 ring I wear, but its year is on the side so she couldn't quite read it.. and she said so how old are you?.. and I said how old do I look?.. and she said "oh.. late forties, maybe 50".. i get that a lot, for some reason.. don't look my age.. we had our fortieth Reunion last October and some folks in my class literally looked like they were in their 70s.. a few in their late 30s.. (some of the wealthier ones obviously knew the words "plastic surgery").. but every single person was 58 or 59.. genetics is a strange thing.. and i said to a few people "think of any other social situation you could possibly be in.. where you are with 150 or 200 people and every single person is the same age".. no one could think of one.. even at school, you interact with people of a much wider age range.. only at a Reunion is everyone within a year of each other.. and so this is not entirely off-topic, all those people probably had some coins in their pockets image ..

Harv
  • Options
    95 Auctions at the bay with 9 auctions ending today.image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lope after you get the info from the government, offer the info to coin world mag for $1,000..........
  • Options

<< <i>lope after you get the info from the government, offer the info to coin world mag for $1,000.......... >>

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>95 Auctions at the bay with 9 auctions ending today.image >>

Prices have firmed...My coin club sold all we had over the Memorial day weekend....we now have bought again , in excess of 50 2008/07s...funny thing , more than 20% of the 2008/07s we sold back in late May.. we now own the second time around...tells me the supply isn't the large number people think image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lope after you get the info from the government, offer the info to coin world mag for $1,000.......... >>

No kidding! After all, it's all about the money! The hobby isn't about sharing information or enjoyment of collecting....it's all about the payment in return!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    And every time they re-sell, its for a higher amount naturally.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No kidding! After all, it's all about the money! The hobby isn't about sharing information or enjoyment of collecting....it's all about the payment in return!!!

For fun, lets see a list of those in it for the money:

US Mint
    Almost Any Coin Publication (not all)
    TPG's
    Most coin dealers

There are many others and I suppose you could make the same list of those who are not in it for the money.

The point is, without the "money" you and I would not even be posting here as this site would not exist nor would the hobby at its present popularity. Please go debate this on another thread it would be a long one and you can get all the love you need.
  • Options

<< <i>No kidding! After all, it's all about the money! The hobby isn't about sharing information or enjoyment of collecting....it's all about the payment in return!!!

For fun, lets see a list of those in it for the money:

US Mint
    Almost Any Coin Publication (not all)
    TPG's
    Most coin dealers

There are many others and I suppose you could make the same list of those who are not in it for the money.

The point is, without the "money" you and I would not even be posting here as this site would not exist nor would the hobby at its present popularity. Please go debate this on another thread it would be a long one and you can get all the love you need. >>

Touchy, aren't you? So, I notice "collectors" aren't in your list.....guess there aren't a lot of "collectors" in this thread? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Great idea....Just don't put the response on the forum and make it public knowledge (until Coin World ante's up)...send the report to the "investors" onlyimage
  • Options

<< <i>

No kidding! After all, it's all about the money! The hobby isn't about sharing information or enjoyment of collecting....it's all about the payment in return!!! >>

Lots of the newbies in this very thread are simply enjoying their very first "flip and get rich quick" coin experience Ron. They may or may not be real collectors but frankly, I cannot blame them one bit for being overly zealous in their pursuits.

If we never see them again, then the truth will be out there but hopefully, they'll move into some niche.

As for the money aspect, coin collecting is a business just like anything else that folks do in their spare time. All the way from model airplanes to golf because if somebody is doing it then there's always some business to feed their fantasy. This certainly is not a bad thing, its simply the way things are.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'm hoping these coins will be worth money so that, by selling a couple of them, I can afford to buy more coins of the type I love and collect. It has been a little disheartening to see so much focus and discussion on flipping for moneys sake alone. But, as Lee said, it's more of a combination of goals and interests. At least for me, it comes full circle back to a love of the hobby.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>

Prices have firmed...My coin club sold all we had over the Memorial day weekend....we now have bought again , in excess of 50 2008/07s...funny thing , more than 20% of the 2008/07s we sold back in late May.. we now own the second time around...tells me the supply isn't the large number people think image >>

If 20% of these coins are the same ones the club just sold less than two months ago, it also may be an indicator that the collector demand for these coins does not exceed the supply. Almost sounds like coins are going through a number of speculator hands and some or many of the same coins are continously resold. Collectors tend to hold their purchases in most situations for longer than 6 or 7 weeks.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

John Nanney.........You still suck...........image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Prices have firmed...My coin club sold all we had over the Memorial day weekend....we now have bought again , in excess of 50 2008/07s...funny thing , more than 20% of the 2008/07s we sold back in late May.. we now own the second time around...tells me the supply isn't the large number people think image >>

If 20% of these coins are the same ones the club just sold less than two months ago, it also may be an indicator that the collector demand for these coins does not exceed the supply. Almost sounds like coins are going through a number of speculator hands and some or many of the same coins are continously resold. Collectors tend to hold their purchases in most situations for longer than 6 or 7 weeks. >>

If my memory serves me correctly ... the same scenario played out with the 1995-W ASE. It took several years for the "speculators" to find another niche & for the collectors to step in. Look what it's selling for now...I honestly believe the same may be applicable to the 2008 rev. 2007 coin. I'm still trying to get hold of as many PCGS graded ones that I can, (FS that is) but on the other hand, dumping the NGC graded ones. ( I can't believe the difference between PCGS & NGC in the 69's that I have ... most my NGC 69's would grade no higher than a 68 by PCGS )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    That is true with what I have too. I am not at all impressed with NGC grading on these coins. It looks like the just rushed through them and did a lousy job.
  • Options
    Jeez, nothing new there image
  • Options

<< <i>If my memory serves me correctly ... the same scenario played out with the 1995-W ASE. It took several years for the "speculators" to find another niche & for the collectors to step in. Look what it's selling for now...I honestly believe the same may be applicable to the 2008 rev. 2007 coin. I'm still trying to get hold of as many PCGS graded ones that I can, (FS that is) but on the other hand, dumping the NGC graded ones. >>

I don't understand what you are trying to say here: "It took several years for the "speculators" to find another niche & for the collectors to step in."

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Lope, please post how much you now need to cover the balance at the US Mint FOIA you filed.

>>

Coinboy-
    I believe we're about $100 short, but I am waiting on a few envelopes that people have sent that should arrive Mon or Tues.
    There's also an extremely gracious board member that has offered to pay the balance!

FWIW, with the FAST response of so many board members (35+!) I was able to get the check out in the mail on Saturday.
    So it's only a matter of days now before the Mint ships all those redacted records image

I still don't really understand the pessimism from some surrounding the request. Everyone understands that there's a chance no
    new information is gained by this, BUT, there's also no good reason not to ask IMO.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Options

<< <i>That is true with what I have too. I am not at all impressed with NGC grading on these coins. It looks like the just rushed through them and did a lousy job. >>

Same here, the only graded coins I have are NGC 69 ER's and a couple of them are not what I would expect to be a 69. Maybe I should sell them and upgrade to PCGS!
    That reminds me, I have my submission ready for the 2 best coins I could find and I haven't sent it yet. I have to get that in!
  • Options

<< <i> BUT, there's also no good reason not to ask IMO. >>

Or....there IS a good reason TO ask. I'm just curious to see how the mint presents their answer. I bet they give a "Total Possible" and "Total Probable" senario since an exact number would be hard to come by.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> BUT, there's also no good reason not to ask IMO. >>

Or....there IS a good reason TO ask. I'm just curious to see how the mint presents their answer. I bet they give a "Total Possible" and "Total Probable" senario since an exact number would be hard to come by. >>

I'm curious if they'll even go so far as to give a number. I have a strange feeling it will pages of mint records and die numbers etc, and they'll leave it to us to sort out and count up, IF we can even tell which ones were the error dies. What do the rest think they'll actually supply in the records?
  • Options
    Today there are 98 coins for sale

59 are buy it now

27 run out today

getting to be slim pickings

• Options

<< <i>getting to be slim pickings >>

Only if you're one of the few that have not purchased one just yet!

When it gets down to only one available on eBay, do you suppose it will sell for moon money?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Yes!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>When it gets down to only one available on eBay, do you suppose it will sell for moon money? >>

There will always be BIN's out there for ridiculous prices. It's the straight up .99 start's that show the reality of the market.....Those are the interesting ones to watch image
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    19Lyds Why so negative over this coin? Do you not like SAE's? Or do you just not like the idea that maybe some people are making some money on this coin? PM me if you want.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    Thats what I am getting at. There is not many for sale now! Those that have them are not selling. It is mostly profit takers on the buy it now's.
  • Options

<< <i>What do the rest think they'll actually supply in the records? >>

Jimmy Hoffa's Drivers License image ..

ever see "Nothing But Trouble"?..

Harv
  • Options

<< <i>19Lyds Why so negative over this coin? Do you not like SAE's? Or do you just not like the idea that maybe some people are making some money on this coin? PM me if you want. >>

Why in the world would I PM you?

And as for being negative, read the entire 5,000 posts, I;m sure you'll see that what you interpret as negativity is in fact and an opinion and observation I have stated all along.

I have never stated I didn't like the coin, I even have a few myself however, I am not entertaining any fantasy's that this coin will ever sell for more than it did a few short weeks ago. Those that wanted and felt the irresistible urge to have them, now have them.

For posters to declare or even incinuate that prices are sure to rise because fewer and fewer are being offered on eBay is simply inexperience talking.

Fewer and fewer show up because folks just aren't buying. Either the BIN prices are too high or they've just had their fill. Imagine that? Somebody didn't want a PCGS MS69 for $500?

I think the wave has crashed and is now pulling back into the (e)Bay. So, unless Lope's FOIA request shows something highly unusual, I do believe the panic buying is pretty much done for this one.

No negativity, just reality.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'm on the outside looking in on this one....I didn't buy them from the mint, and don't have the spare change to add one to my collection

now. I think the last poster is right....the cap on this coin has been realized. I will be curious to see what the end result for the actual

mintage of this coin is once the freedom of information request is published and how it affects the prices on the Bay. If there are 47,000 of

them (seems like a lot compared to some commemoratives; i.e. Jackie Robinson ms69 silver dollar @ approximately $200 with a mintage of

only 30,180) I will not pay moon money for a modern error that within a couple of years will drop (imho) dramatically in value. I do wish that

I had the foresight to buy from the mint originally and I could have benefitted by flipping them like so many here have done, but alas, I

didn't.....image sometimes reality bites.....

....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This thread is really getting milked.

I hope nobody spots my purpose posting here.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is really getting milked.

I hope nobody spots my purpose posting here. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread is really getting milked.

I hope nobody spots my purpose posting here. >>

+1 >>

+5047 image

• Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    A collector I know compares these to the 1995-W. Not the same thing though, IMO. It's a popular series, so the real question is will collectors feel that they need this one to complete it, or not. That and the "final" mintage numbers, of course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file