Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still willing to trade a half ounce of Martha Gold for one ounce of this other modern crap. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still willing to trade a half ounce of Martha Gold for one ounce of this other modern crap. >>

Dang! I should have seen this post 3 weeks ago before i sold me last ounce of this modern c - -p ...end quote.image Would that have been a Martha PCGS MS/PR 70?image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>I'm on the outside looking in on this one....I didn't buy them from the mint, and don't have the spare change to add one to my collection

now. I think the last poster is right....the cap on this coin has been realized. I will be curious to see what the end result for the actual

mintage of this coin is once the freedom of information request is published and how it affects the prices on the Bay. If there are 47,000 of

them (seems like a lot compared to some commemoratives; i.e. Jackie Robinson ms69 silver dollar @ approximately $200 with a mintage of

only 30,180) I will not pay moon money for a modern error that within a couple of years will drop (imho) dramatically in value. I do wish that

I had the foresight to buy from the mint originally and I could have benefitted by flipping them like so many here have done, but alas, I

didn't.....image sometimes reality bites.....

image >>

You are totally wrong about this my friend. This variety is now part of the ASE run from 1986/2008 if you don't have all P mints and W burished dies mints plus the reverse proof mint not to mention this 2008 reverse 2007 variety, YOU DO NOT HAVE A TRUE BLUE AMERICAN EAGLE SET. Although I have one in first strike Pcgs 70 I have a 69. So long story short, if you want to have something half azz try to leave this coin out of the American silver eagle collection. I read somewhere there are over 210,000 sets out there of the Ases.

Also to the Mr Lee, I hope you will Pm sometime. LOL. To clarify LEE didn't say notta about anything against this coin.

You haven't seen the wall on this one now or 3 years from now, you just wait until some people get that extra change in their pockets then you will see higher prices.
  • Options
    Monday's new NGC POP report:

Total graded= 12610 which is an increase of 163 over last week (2nd lowest increase with the 7/14 report being the lowest)

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 ...............MS 5766
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817

<< <i>Monday's new NGC POP report:

Total graded= 12610 which is an increase of 163 over last week (2nd lowest increase with the 7/14 report being the lowest)

2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844 >>

Anybody have a gut feel as to what % of the total population this might represent? Maybe a similar issue to compare it to, at a similar time after discovery?
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Monday's new NGC POP report:

Anybody have a gut feel as to what % of the total population this might represent? Maybe a similar issue to compare it to, at a similar time after discovery? >>

if the Mint truly made 47,000 of them, and released / shipped all 47,000 of them, then NGC has slabbed roughly a quarter of them.. pretty simple math image ..

{{getting out abacus}}..

okay, if you want to be accurate out to nine decimal places.. and take the 47,000 number as gospel, and NGC has slabbed 5766 + 6844, the the total of those two numbers is 26.829797234% of 47,000..

{{putting away abacus}}..

remember, NGC recognized and started slabbing these weeks before PCGS did.. so the PCGS numbers are much lower.. no idea how many are in other plastic.. ANACS and ICG don't publish population reports, do they?..

if the Mint truly made 47,000 of them and Lope's FOIA request proves conclusively that they shipped some number fewer than 47,000, then NGC didn't slab 25% of them.. but we won't know until he gets the paperwork, and how easy it is to translate into English a human can understand, if chunks of it are redacted, or if it was a total waste of time and money and they just say the same thing they've been saying all along.. give or take a thousand..

but so far, 47,000 is the ONLY number the Mint has spewed out to the public and the Press, and as far as I know, they haven't made one single public statement about them since then.. and that number was spewed by their PR guy, Michael White, who simply releases what he's told to release by his bosses, like any Press Spokesman flack mouthpiece.. so.. the NGC totals are roughly 25% of 47,000 and anything else I could say about it would be pure speculation until / unless the FOIA report says something different.. and nobody knows what it says, yet..

however (there's always a however, isn't there?).. population reports don't reflect slabs that have been re-submitted and re-graded.. or cracked out and turned raw again.. whether they came back the same grade, a lower grade, or a higher grade, or cross-overs.. they only go up, they never go down.. so any that were in NGC slabs might have gotten crossed into PCGS slabs, which would make the NGC numbers wrong.. or, someone might have gotten back an NGC MS69 and decided to sell it raw instead, so he cracked it out and put it back in its OGP and sold it.. but it's still in the population numbers even though it's no longer in a slab.. as far as I know, there's no way to know..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Guys, we have re-hashed the same info over and over. Lee has made his case myriad times and to his credit, his opinion hasn't changed on these things.

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Amazing! My son ordered 25 2008s and ALL 25 were the good ones. Sent them to NGC and got 18 MS70s and 7 MS69s. I, of course, in my infinite wisdom, told him I didn't want any. So he didn't order any for me, just like I requested. image
    Now just why the hell do I have to push "1" for English??
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing! My son ordered 25 2008s and ALL 25 were the good ones. Sent them to NGC and got 18 MS70s and 7 MS69s. I, of course, in my infinite wisdom, told him I didn't want any. So he didn't order any for me, just like I requested. image >>

When did he order these???
  • Options
    imageHowdy.image
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    <<

<< Monday's new NGC POP report:

Anybody have a gut feel as to what % of the total population this might represent? Maybe a similar issue to compare it to, at a similar time after discovery? >>

if the Mint truly made 47,000 of them, and released / shipped all 47,000 of them, then NGC has slabbed roughly a quarter of them.. pretty simple math ..

{{getting out abacus}}..

okay, if you want to be accurate out to nine decimal places.. and take the 47,000 number as gospel, and NGC has slabbed 5766 + 6844, the the total of those two numbers is 26.829797234% of 47,000..

OK, I'll resist the incredible urge to be answer condescension with sarcasm. Obviously, I'm not taking "the 47,000 number as gospel" or I wouldn't have asked the question. What I was asking the members here is this: Using past experience, can you draw a conclusion as to the total population based on this sample that has been slabbed by one TPG, at this point in time. Maybe there was a similar issue, NCLT or otherwise, that could be used for comparison. If the answer is unknowable, I can accept that. If you want to accept the current US Mint estimate, that's ok too. And I haven't read all 5000 posts, so if this has been beaten to death I apologize.

• Options
    Just for fun I placed an order just now for 3 more from the Mint. If they come up 08/08 as I suspect, I will just add them to my holdings.

Maybe there's a return or two in there somewhere from a collector that didn't know any better image
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does a thread like this get to 500+ so quickly?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    it hit 500+ in 9 days but I know what cha mean! image

Lots of folks jumped in and offered their opinions and observations which is how it hit 5,000.

That couple with a couple of "watermelon seed spitting" contests and voila! 5 Grand!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>How does a thread like this get to 500+ so quickly? >>

Must have something to do with the person who started this thread image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>Must have something to do with the person who started this thread >>

imageimage
  • Options
    OK, when do you think this thread tops the GOLD/SILVER ECONOMIC thread (currently around 7500 posts i think).
    I vote that Nanney overtakes it on Sept 29!
  • Options
    Sounds good to me Lope. Wait till we here back from the FOIA you filed...this thread is really going to see some action. image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Ebay items are now down to 81 with 52 of these buy it nows.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<

<< Monday's new NGC POP report:

if the Mint truly made 47,000 of them, and released / shipped all 47,000 of them, then NGC has slabbed roughly a quarter of them.. pretty simple math ..

{{getting out abacus}}..

OK, I'll resist the incredible urge to be answer condescension with sarcasm. Obviously, I'm not taking "the 47,000 number as gospel" or I wouldn't have asked the question. What I was asking the members here is this: Using past experience, can you draw a conclusion as to the total population based on this sample that has been slabbed by one TPG, at this point in time. Maybe there was a similar issue, NCLT or otherwise, that could be used for comparison. If the answer is unknowable, I can accept that. If you want to accept the current US Mint estimate, that's ok too. And I haven't read all 5000 posts, so if this has been beaten to death I apologize. >>

obvious question. if that is the amount ngc slabbed already, how many
    has pcgs slabbed so far?

my feelings is that if the slabbing process has already gotten past
    20,000.... there is probably 30,000+ easy out there.
  • Options
    PCGS has slabbed 2832

14-68's
    1077-69's reg 08/07's
    74-70.s

1667 first strike 08/07

There are 166 first strike 70's and 74 regular strike 70's of the 08/07 error coins.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, when do you think this thread tops the GOLD/SILVER ECONOMIC thread (currently around 7500 posts i think).
    I vote that Nanney overtakes it on Sept 29! >>

Post the FOIA when you get it and that is probably +300 posts within a day right there image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay items are now down to 81 with 52 of these buy it nows. >>

Are any of the BINs going unbought? Are they 1 day? 7 day?
    Reasonable prices (as to what have been closed recently) or unrealistic prices?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Just go on ebay and look up 08 rev 07 and click on completed listings.

today 7 buy it now have been sold

2 expired unsold

also don't forget that 20% discount you can use on buy it now's
  • Options
    Thx CB. Good to be here. image
  • Options
    It's rumored that Mad Marty is offering a million dollars for one of these in PCGS PO-01 condition.
  • Options
    I just talked with my son and he says he ordered and received the 25 08/07 eagles on or around the first of April. Says he read in a magazine about them and placed the order a few days later. Says it was about 2-3 weeks after the Mint started taking orders for them. When he opened the package about a week after they were delivered and made the discovery, he immediately ordered 50 more. None of the 50 were 08/07s. Says the first order took a very short time to arrive. The second order took almost 3 weeks. The mint halted shipping evidently when they discovered the error and didn't ship again until all the errors were found that were to be shipped. This is just speculation, but the time line sort of proves the theory. Hope this helps all you bean counters. image
  • Options
    I have to thank all of you guys for these threads. I jumped on the 2008 Reverse of 2007 Silver Eagles bandwagon. I purchased 200 coins and found 29 with the 08/07 Reverse. By the way, I have a few buy it nows on ebay for sale. My EBAY ID IS GUINZO1975. I have no idea how to post links. I live in Brooklyn and I am using coins to finance my future purchase of a home. Goc bless you all. [
    GUINZO1975
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

A little spam there..but I'm not the spam sheriff.........but if your gonna..............Goc bless you all. then it goes to John Nanney image
  • Options
    +1 image
  • Options
    Alright guys and girls, not mentioning any names, but there's a handful of people who said they were going to contribute to the FOIA expedition who haven't image

We could use a few more contributors...less than $100 needed now!
  • Options
    I'd like to contribute to the FOIA report. I can send the funds via paypal. Who do is collecting it?
    GUINZO1975
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright guys and girls, not mentioning any names, but there's a handful of people who said they were going to contribute to the FOIA expedition who haven't image

We could use a few more contributors...less than $100 needed now! >>

Come on folks, join the crowd! Help a fellow member by sending a little money to help defray the cost. I did!
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    Lope, PM me with your PreyPal ID.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    PM me & I'll gladly cover the balance that comes up short.
    How do you send a PP payment? I've only used PP when invoiced thru e-Bay.

OT, but been moving and haven't had time to follow THE thread lately.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    The number for sale continues to drop.

77 for sale

10 ending today

51 are buy it now

that leaves only 26 auction items

WOW!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The number for sale continues to drop.

77 for sale

10 ending today

51 are buy it now

WOW!!! >>

Hoarding is an age old phenomena image
  • Options
    People are holding on to what they have at this point just to see what is going to happen. I know I am.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The number for sale continues to drop.

77 for sale

10 ending today

51 are buy it now

WOW!!! >>

But are they bringing strong money, thats all that matters.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Some are, some are not.
  • Options
    My son sold all 25 pieces already. He asked what I would do and I told him he would be foolish to hold on to them when he could get $750 each and make that huge profit. Judging from recent modern coin "shooting stars" I feel I told him right. Looks like more are being discovered every day and the party will be over soon. Wait until that happens and kiss your big profit goodbye. I was faced with the same decision in 1990 when my generic MS65 pre21 Morgans were being panic bought by the likes of Heritage at the Scottsdale show for $625 a copy. A friend of mine who works for them said I was crazy to sell them at that level and guaranteed me they would be $750 or more at Long Beach two weeks later. Call me crazy. but I sold my hoard of 500 plus coins on set up night along with every other coin I brought to the show and sat by the pool for the next couple of days. BTW, at Long Beach you couldn't give them away at $350. There is a time to buy AND a time to sell. I got lucky and made the right choice, but I have never forgotten that experience. PIGS, well you know what happens to them. image
  • Options
    Where do you get this that more are being discovered every day. I think you are just trying to justify having told your son to dump his and hope you made the right call. You are not going to make me feel upset but you are just trying to downgrade the coins before the curtain comes down on your world and you can go back into hibernation.
  • Options
    25 sold yesterday and most were bought by new people that have just got involved with ebay. This tells me that the word on these coins has just started to spread. There are an awful lot of eagle collectors out there that don't even know about them yet. Even if there are 47k of them it will not be near enough to go around. Don't let these doomsayers, that were not lucky enough to get any or dump the ones they had early, cause you to lose interest and sell them before you should.
  • Options
    You don't have to be mean about it Pitboss. It's just my opinion. Nothing personal. There truly are collectors who don't even know these exist and will have them in unopened boxes for years to come. Keep yours as long as you want. I could care less. We shall see what these rarities will bring in the future. Time will tell. It will be interesting to watch. Have a nice day.image
  • Options

<< <i>PM me & I'll gladly cover the balance that comes up short.
    How do you send a PP payment? I've only used PP when invoiced thru e-Bay.

OT, but been moving and haven't had time to follow THE thread lately.

Regards, John >>

Hi..

John.. log into paypal.com - go to the send money tab.. you'll need the email address of whoever you want to send money to.. for the reason you can check goods / other or services.. enter the amount and the funding source.. enter whatever you want that'll fit in the comments box.. then send it.. and print out a receipt for your records.. you should also get an emailed receipt..

or

the person to whom you want to send non eBay money can generate a money request if he has YOUR email address.. then it'll have a clickable link on it..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like more are being discovered every day >>

on what factual, verifiable information do you base that statement?..

Harv

• Options
    I'm not being mean, just tired of people running these coins down. These coins will be the most desirable and low minted coins of the eagle series.
    5 more have already sold today leaving only 73 on ebay
    10 more will expire before the day is out.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not being mean, just tired of people running these coins down. These coins will be the most desirable and low minted coins of the eagle series.
    >>

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where do you get this that more are being discovered every day. I think you are just trying to justify having told your son to dump his and hope you made the right call. You are not going to make me feel upset but you are just trying to downgrade the coins before the curtain comes down on your world and you can go back into hibernation. >>

<< <i>You don't have to be mean about it Pitboss. It's just my opinion. Nothing personal. There truly are collectors who don't even know these exist and will have them in unopened boxes for years to come. Keep yours as long as you want. I could care less. We shall see what these rarities will bring in the future. Time will tell. It will be interesting to watch. Have a nice day.image >>

Ooo Yippee! This should be good for another 50 or so posts!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ok- finally got an even 100 number- onward and upward.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file