Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    mine!
  • Options

<< <i>Last Year by July 16th Reporty Date 358K had sold, this year on July 10th Report Date 330K have sold. + These numbers are less returns!

How do you know that this number is with the returns accounted out and not just raw sales figures?

Regards, John >>

If we are to trust what the mint has to say , lets not forget that 47,000 of the 330K
    are 08/07 . Which leaves 283K 08/08.......................................

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Listings on eBay today, dip below 100
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that this thread is headed for the 5,000 post mark regarldess of where these coins end up!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'm showing 107 searching 2008 w reverse and i believe a couple of the listings where selling multiple coins in one listing of 10 and 5.Still the listings become lower and lower as each week passes by.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>I believe that this thread is headed for the 5,000 post mark regarldess of where these coins end up! >>

Really going on a limb with that prediction huh Lee? image
    Less than 200 away...
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    A PCGS MS70 ending in 10 minutes at Ebay.
    LINK
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Using, the extremely vague, "2008 W Pcgs" as a filter shows 29 coins. Alot of them BINs and several of those are 70s. It's interesting, to me, the realized prices have been very sporadic (for lack of a better word).image Using the same filter words, but viewing "completed auctions only" shows $100 differences 1-2 hrs apart. Looks like between yesterday & today they are creaping back towards $600 (for the 69s of course).image There are some "new releases" coming up from the mint which should deter interest from this one a bit.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that this thread is headed for the 5,000 post mark regarldess of where these coins end up! >>

Really going on a limb with that prediction huh Lee? image
    Less than 200 away... >>

I try to stay on top of these thing! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    110 for sale on ebay right now
    67 of them are buy it now
    43 are auction
  • Options
    Whew!

I thought I'd given this thread the "Kiss of Death"!

Kinda like when I buy gold..............................

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Two full days since the last Tony sighting.... that slows things down.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A PCGS MS70 ending in 10 minutes at Ebay.
    LINK >>

Impressive, not that my opinion counts.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Winning bid: US $2,524.13
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A PCGS MS70 ending in 10 minutes at Ebay.
    LINK >>

Impressive, not that my opinion counts.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Winning bid: US $2,524.13 >>

of course it counts.. your opinion is just as worthless.. err.. worthwhile as anyone else's around here image ..
    yes, rather impressive that ya take an oz. of Silver just a couple of months old.. in the form of a $25.95 coin, stuff it into a plastic holder, and merely because of what that plastic holder's label has printed on it, it sells for ONE HUNDRED times what someone paid for it.. assuming they bought it raw.. assuming they didn't buy it raw, then less impressive, depending on what they paid for it.. but we don't know if the seller was the original Mint purchaser, do we.. break it out of that plastic holder and put it back in its original packaging, and it STILL would sell for up to $500.00, or roughly twenty times its original price..

well i have plenty of things sittin' around here that aren't coins which would easily sell for TWO HUNDRED times their original price without any plastic holder or any fees or fillin' out forms or "official" grading by some entity.. such as MIB Vintage Lesney Matchbox cars that originally sold for fifty cents that are now easily worth $100.00 to $200.00 and up.. of course, it took those little toys a bit longer than a few months to multiply in value like that.. try about forty years image .. and there's nothing paricularly rare or "error-ish" about them.. it's just that they survived this long in that condition.. in fact, when it comes to those, a Mint BOX is worth as much and sometimes more than the mint toy inside it!..
    collectors are all basically crazy, in one way or another.. but sometimes crazy like a fox..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    $2524.13 is nice but I will still hold on to mine at least until the first of 2009 to see what direction they will take.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have felt most closely aligned with Pitboss and his opinions about this "error." I'm on an island with no dealers. I have to travel to another island to attend the annual coin show. That show is in late October, early November. Pitboss, do you think that will be too soon to consider selling?
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Prices have turned soft for the 2008/07 ....look at the 350-385 level as support for the NGC 69s .. declining economy may be a factor..look out for the Dow ..may hit 10,600 soon , and then , lower into 2009/10 .........under 9,000image
  • Options

<< <i>Two full days since the last Tony sighting.... that slows things down.image >>

Sorry, been busy lately trying to sell a bunch of these raw after the first buyer that I thought was going to pull the trigger changed his mind suddenly. Luckily, I found another buyer.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Prices have turned soft for the 2008/07 ....look at the 350-385 level as support for the NGC 69s .. declining economy may be a factor..look out for the Dow ..may hit 10,600 soon , and then , lower into 2009/10 .........under 9,000image >>

Thanks for an update which is based on what?
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    What happened here?

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over?
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

<< <i>What happened here?

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

Wow...I wish I was the buyer. How the heck did I miss a deal like that???
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have felt most closely aligned with Pitboss and his opinions about this "error." I'm on an island with no dealers. I have to travel to another island to attend the annual coin show. That show is in late October, early November. Pitboss, do you think that will be too soon to consider selling? >>

There are a lot of factors involved. When will there be a sellout of the 08 coins and how many are there? What is going to happen with the election? How many of these coins are out there? Is the economy going to rebound enough for Christmas sales to be robust? I dont know but I am betting on a good return on these coins and am in no hurry to make a move until I see an upturn. Dont go by what I say though as I still hold 50 extra leafs that are not doing much at this point. Long haul guys!
  • Options

<< <i>

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

Wow...I wish I was the buyer. How the heck did I miss a deal like that??? >>

Does appear to be a good deal IMO. But I bet the relatively new seller (only 15 feedback) factored into this.
    Also, I'm surprised this auction didn't get nuked...he says "THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS COIN."
    And perhaps all the mumbo jumbo about our troops as well. Not sure why that is in an ebay auction for a coin.

Edited: Just noticed he only has $200 in Paypal buyer protection as well.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Options

<< <i>Just noticed he only has $200 in Paypal buyer protection as well. >>

New buyer, but with feedback indicating previous delivery of such items. Also, PayPal may limit protection to $200, but funding the payment with a credit card fixes that.

edit: er, new seller. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just noticed he only has $200 in Paypal buyer protection as well. >>

New buyer, but with feedback indicating previous delivery of such items. Also, PayPal may limit protection to $200, but funding the payment with a credit card fixes that.

edit: er, new seller. image >>

You're right. If I had the cash I would've taken a chance on it image
    I just think there's a lot of buyers here who'll move right on when they see 15 feedback.
  • Options

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

What Happened Here is "I" Got Lucky! I Did'nt think i had a Chance,but i tried and it worked out. I Always Use my Credit Card for 9 1/2 years now just in case there is a problem that paypal won't handle. This pickup Keeps one of my Three ASE Registry Sets in First Place for another year. I Saw this New seller has delivered on similar items recently,soo i gave it a Shot. Ray in Florida.. image
  • Options
    Ahhh didn't even notice it was a forum member.

Way to go Ray!

• Options
    Thank you Lope. I'd like to share my own thoughts on These based on Past Experience with Key Eagles (except the 95-W). It is my observation that most all of the "Key" ASE's start off Hot as Fire and after the Thrill of the Chase wears off they level off in a more Realistic Range. Some Buyers Drive the Market Early because they just gotta have it NOW. That's not a bad thing,just a fact. Remember the 2006-W Anniversary Sets? Look at them Today. Then there was the 2006-W PCGS MS70 that started out like gang busters and quickly dropped to less the half of the original selling price. I attribute this to two things. One is always the Market hype,but the other has to do with Population Reports. Of course,when The First of Any of these Eagles hit the Market,the Population is Low,therefore bringing a Premium. The "unknown" is of Course the Potential Future Population. More times then Not,many more Eagles will come out of Grading and Enter the Population report,thereby,most usually decreasing prices. I guess what i'm expecting to see,based on Past history,is these to come down in price as time goes by. This same thing Happened with The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters (which I Still Hold). What do Other Forum members think? Ray in Florida..
  • Options

<< <i>Of course,when The First of Any of these Eagles hit the Market,the Population is Low,therefore bringing a Premium. The "unknown" is of Course the Potential Future Population. More times then Not,many more Eagles will come out of Grading and Enter the Population report,thereby,most usually decreasing prices. I guess what i'm expecting to see,based on Past history,is these to come down in price as time goes by. This same thing Happened with The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters (which I Still Hold). What do Other Forum members think? Ray in Florida.. >>

Congrats on your lucky "hit." I passed on the PCGS 70's when they were at $1000+ and bought three NGC 70's for $1100 instead, (along with a dozen MS69's). I just don't see why people would pay so much extra for a "different" paper label, since the coins are exactly the same. Of course, my wife thought I was crazy to get into these at all -- until the price doubled. I'm going to hold on to my hoard long-term, but I do expect further short-term price slippage.

• Options

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

I expect the price was relatively low because it was not a First Strike™ slab.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Lope. I'd like to share my own thoughts on These based on Past Experience with Key Eagles (except the 95-W). It is my observation that most all of the "Key" ASE's start off Hot as Fire and after the Thrill of the Chase wears off they level off in a more Realistic Range. Some Buyers Drive the Market Early because they just gotta have it NOW. That's not a bad thing,just a fact. Remember the 2006-W Anniversary Sets? Look at them Today. Then there was the 2006-W PCGS MS70 that started out like gang busters and quickly dropped to less the half of the original selling price. I attribute this to two things. One is always the Market hype,but the other has to do with Population Reports. Of course,when The First of Any of these Eagles hit the Market,the Population is Low,therefore bringing a Premium. The "unknown" is of Course the Potential Future Population. More times then Not,many more Eagles will come out of Grading and Enter the Population report,thereby,most usually decreasing prices. I guess what i'm expecting to see,based on Past history,is these to come down in price as time goes by. This same thing Happened with The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters (which I Still Hold). What do Other Forum members think? Ray in Florida.. >>

Ray, I've been saying this since the beginning of this thread. Hopefully folks will begin to listen.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    What happened to Tony???????????
  • Options

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

seller relative newbie..... I let that one pass
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Prices have turned soft for the 2008/07 ....look at the 350-385 level as support for the NGC 69s .. declining economy may be a factor..look out for the Dow ..may hit 10,600 soon , and then , lower into 2009/10 .........under 9,000image >>

Thanks for an update which is based on what? >>

look at Ebay sales last couple of daysimage
  • Options

<< <i>Wow...I wish I was the buyer. How the heck did I miss a deal like that??? >>

<< <i>What happened to Tony??????????? >>

Per his posting on top i would not be surprised that he is working on his next deal trying to secure an MS70 like the one Ray got above. He was caught sleeping on the watch for just that moment and missed out. I know how it feels to miss out on deals like that Tony. lol So i will not be surprised if he showed up with a few MS70's of his own in a day or two. image
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Hi RayNY2E (Ray), I too have some WI Extra Leaf Quarters. You appear to be a great , keen buyer of many rare, error/variety coins on Ebay such as your purchase of a PCGS MS 70 2008/07 ASE yesterday. I understand your statement that new, hipped modern special coins go up high in price and then fall down in price as the TPG company's pops go up significantly. The case in point, what do you attribute the cause of WI Extra Leaf Quarters continuing to decline in value to almost February, 2005 Intial Public Offering prices of Eagle Eye, Old Pueblo and Tucson Coin's full page ad in CW over 3 years ago while PCGS and NGC's Pop figures have barely increased over the last tewlve months ? Combined figures for PCGS + NGC indicate a 6% increase in pops of the High Leaf coin over the last twelve months and 7% increase in numbers of graded Low Leafs over that same last telve months.

My ideas concerning the WI quarter's price decline: Greatly over promoted on Ebay for the first 18 months. Too little distribution among the many interested state quarter/error/variety coin dealers.. coins were primarily discovered in AZ and TX only. Delay in getting values in the Redbook. Never seriously considered for entry into the Greaysheet. Many well known error coin experts considered the Extra Leaf coins to be a silly name attached to a simply coin press die gouge.

Ray, your comments ......
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course,when The First of Any of these Eagles hit the Market,the Population is Low,therefore bringing a Premium. The "unknown" is of Course the Potential Future Population. More times then Not,many more Eagles will come out of Grading and Enter the Population report,thereby,most usually decreasing prices. I guess what i'm expecting to see,based on Past history,is these to come down in price as time goes by. This same thing Happened with The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters (which I Still Hold). What do Other Forum members think? Ray in Florida.. >>

Congrats on your lucky "hit." I passed on the PCGS 70's when they were at $1000+ and bought three NGC 70's for $1100 instead, (along with a dozen MS69's). I just don't see why people would pay so much extra for a "different" paper label, since the coins are exactly the same. Of course, my wife thought I was crazy to get into these at all -- until the price doubled. I'm going to hold on to my hoard long-term, but I do expect further short-term price slippage. >>

Thank you for the reply,i appreciate it. To answer your question about why i bought PCGS and not NGC,(without opening a HUGE can of worms), It's my personal Preference,The fact is the Open Market (usually) Brings More Money for PCGS Graded Coins then NGC, And the Biggest Reason for This Purchase is that i have Three ASE Registry Sets in First Place for years and Needed at Least ONE 2008-W Rev. of 07 in PCGS MS70 to keep at Least One set in First Place. If Prices decline, I'll Pick up a few more, If not, i can Decide to Retire the other two Sets,Sell them or Just let them sit the way they are. I Don't agree with you when you basically say People pay soo much extra just for a "different Paper Label". It's alot more then the Label in most cases. If that were true,then you'd have no problem buying Slabbed coins from the TV Hucksters i guess? I have a few stray NGC MS66 Lincoln Cents that i could'nt give away and they sat in my Store over a Year,but the PCGS Lincolns move out right away. Why do you suppose that happens? None of us have a Crystal ball to predict the future,but i, along with alot of others here on this Thread (Like Lee),have seen this same scenario play out many times before,usually with the same results. One Other Thing most People don't think about regarding the ASE 2006-W Anniversary Sets is, When they were first Released they were going through the Roof and Population Reports were Mostly the Reason. Well if you stop and think about it, There are ALOT Less of them NOW then there were then and the Prices realized today are in the Dumper! The biggest Culprit to cause the Population Decline,in my opinion, was the SPOT REVIEW! I Personally lost at least 10 of Them (and Some were First Strike MS69's) that were downgraded during the Spot Review and i elected the Buyout,soo those are basically gone forever! Many other Members also went through this same Process making the Population decline even more,soo why the Price decrease? As Always,Only Time will tell. Ray in Florida..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you Lope. I'd like to share my own thoughts on These based on Past Experience with Key Eagles (except the 95-W). It is my observation that most all of the "Key" ASE's start off Hot as Fire and after the Thrill of the Chase wears off they level off in a more Realistic Range. Some Buyers Drive the Market Early because they just gotta have it NOW. That's not a bad thing,just a fact. Remember the 2006-W Anniversary Sets? Look at them Today. Then there was the 2006-W PCGS MS70 that started out like gang busters and quickly dropped to less the half of the original selling price. I attribute this to two things. One is always the Market hype,but the other has to do with Population Reports. Of course,when The First of Any of these Eagles hit the Market,the Population is Low,therefore bringing a Premium. The "unknown" is of Course the Potential Future Population. More times then Not,many more Eagles will come out of Grading and Enter the Population report,thereby,most usually decreasing prices. I guess what i'm expecting to see,based on Past history,is these to come down in price as time goes by. This same thing Happened with The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters (which I Still Hold). What do Other Forum members think? Ray in Florida.. >>

Ray, I've been saying this since the beginning of this thread. Hopefully folks will begin to listen. >>

Yes, but don't overlook the obvious, 1/2 a million 2006 W-s, with only 47,000 or less 08/07's....Not a good analogy to compare the 06-w 70's except for the obvious downturn due to pop reports...
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

I expect the price was relatively low because it was not a First Strike™ slab. >>

Please say it ain't so. $1100 for a meaningless label.image
  • Options

<< <i>Hi RayNY2E (Ray), I too have some WI Extra Leaf Quarters. You appear to be a great , keen buyer of many rare, error/variety coins on Ebay such as your purchase of a PCGS MS 70 2008/07 ASE yesterday. I understand your statement that new, hipped modern special coins go up high in price and then fall down in price as the TPG company's pops go up significantly. The case in point, what do you attribute the cause of WI Extra Leaf Quarters continuing to decline in value to almost February, 2005 Intial Public Offering prices of Eagle Eye, Old Pueblo and Tucson Coin's full page ad in CW over 3 years ago while PCGS and NGC's Pop figures have barely increased over the last tewlve months ? Combined figures for PCGS + NGC indicate a 6% increase in pops of the High Leaf coin over the last twelve months and 7% increase in numbers of graded Low Leafs over that same last telve months.

My ideas concerning the WI quarter's price decline: Greatly over promoted on Ebay for the first 18 months. Too little distribution among the many interested state quarter/error/variety coin dealers.. coins were primarily discovered in AZ and TX only. Delay in getting values in the Redbook. Never seriously considered for entry into the Greaysheet. Many well known error coin experts considered the Extra Leaf coins to be a silly name attached to a simply coin press die gouge.

Ray, your comments ...... >>

You and I Have Talked about this via E-Mail on Several occasions over the years. My opinion regarding the Wisconsin Leaf Variety Quarters has many avenues that need to be explored to try to draw a conclusion,and there WILL be differences of opinions for sure. First of all,you said it yourself, The First 18 months on E-Bay.....We must realize that ALOT of good folks on E-Bay are Flippers by nature and not true collectors. Soo these,like any other hot item, are just a commodity to be moved for a Profit. When the Profit is No Longer there and the Flipping Stops, soo go the Sales. Soo we need to seperate Collectors from Flippers. For Collectors,i'm sure we all know the Story of how these quarters were discovered by The Late Bob Ford and All of The Technical work done to date by Chris Pilliod and Rick Snow trying to put forth a Theory as to how these really came to exist. Will everyone ever agree totally one way or the other? Probably not. Soo here we now have "Recognized" Die Varieties by all of the Major Third Party Grading Services. This is Important to the Collecting Community not the Flippers. An age old Question we must visit as well is "How much is it worth"? In Most Cases, Rarity plays a part in this equation,but not always. The Price of ANYTHING is however much someone will pay. Look at the people online for 2 days for a New I-Phone! Why not just wait until next week and get one? The answer has been because they want it NOW. It's not rare,or something that will vanish forever,but people have peculiar habits and are driven by the need to be FIRST as if it shows superiority or power. Regarding the Wisconsin Die Variet Quarters,The fact remains that they are attributed and are in Price guides,etc. and are not going away.I Will Continue to Hold All of My sets including My Discovery Sets as a Collector. Maybe as the Collecting Community grows and YN's enter the picture,some of them may want to include The Wisconsin Die Varieties into Their Personal Collections. As you Know, there were only 100 Discovery Sets Ever Attributed as Such and I Believe These will always command a Premium. I Did sell all of MY MS-67 Sets,including the Discovery sets at a time when i needed to do that,but i kept all my 66 sets including Discovery Sets and will post a Picture here for those that may not have seen any before. I Also have the Original Newspaper from Tuscon from when they were discovered along with a nice letter from Bob Ford saying he was coming to Florida and would Visit me,but sadly he passed away first. These Quarters will probably always be a controversial topic of discussion,but that's what makes the world go 'round. Ray in Florida..
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    for you guys looking for a decent deal on a few NGC ER MS70 Reverse of 07's

just put 2 up on BST
  • Options
    The amount for sale continues to be around 100 to 110 with buy it now's averaging between 65 and 70 of these. Not many auctions.
    I notice the FS PCGS 69's are all over the ballpark from $428 to over $500. There is not that many of these and once the dust settles, this is going to be a hot coin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

PCGS MS70 = $1375

Is the party over? >>

I expect the price was relatively low because it was not a First Strike™ slab. >>

Please say it ain't so. $1100 for a meaningless label.image >>

Sorry to say......but it's the twoof!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi RayNY2E (Ray), I too have some WI Extra Leaf Quarters. You appear to be a great , keen buyer of many rare, error/variety coins on Ebay such as your purchase of a PCGS MS 70 2008/07 ASE yesterday. I understand your statement that new, hipped modern special coins go up high in price and then fall down in price as the TPG company's pops go up significantly. The case in point, what do you attribute the cause of WI Extra Leaf Quarters continuing to decline in value to almost February, 2005 Intial Public Offering prices of Eagle Eye, Old Pueblo and Tucson Coin's full page ad in CW over 3 years ago while PCGS and NGC's Pop figures have barely increased over the last tewlve months ? Combined figures for PCGS + NGC indicate a 6% increase in pops of the High Leaf coin over the last twelve months and 7% increase in numbers of graded Low Leafs over that same last telve months.

Ray, your comments ...... >>

You and I Have Talked about this via E-Mail on Several occasions over the years. My opinion regarding the Wisconsin Leaf Variety Quarters has many avenues that need to be explored to try to draw a conclusion,and there WILL be differences of opinions for sure. First of all,you said it yourself, The First 18 months on E-Bay.....We must realize that ALOT of good folks on E-Bay are Flippers by nature and not true collectors. Soo these,like any other hot item, are just a commodity to be moved for a Profit. When the Profit is No Longer there and the Flipping Stops, soo go the Sales. Soo we need to seperate Collectors from Flippers. For Collectors,i'm sure we all know the Story of how these quarters were discovered by The Late Bob Ford and All of The Technical work done to date by Chris Pilliod and Rick Snow trying to put forth a Theory as to how these really came to exist. Will everyone ever agree totally one way or the other? Probably not. Soo here we now have "Recognized" Die Varieties by all of the Major Third Party Grading Services. This is Important to the Collecting Community not the Flippers. An age old Question we must visit as well is "How much is it worth"? In Most Cases, Rarity plays a part in this equation,but not always. The Price of ANYTHING is however much someone will pay. Look at the people online for 2 days for a New I-Phone! Why not just wait until next week and get one? The answer has been because they want it NOW. It's not rare,or something that will vanish forever,but people have peculiar habits and are driven by the need to be FIRST as if it shows superiority or power. Regarding the Wisconsin Die Variet Quarters,The fact remains that they are attributed and are in Price guides,etc. and are not going away.I Will Continue to Hold All of My sets including My Discovery Sets as a Collector. Maybe as the Collecting Community grows and YN's enter the picture,some of them may want to include The Wisconsin Die Varieties into Their Personal Collections. As you Know, there were only 100 Discovery Sets Ever Attributed as Such and I Believe These will always command a Premium. I Did sell all of MY MS-67 Sets,including the Discovery sets at a time when i needed to do that,but i kept all my 66 sets including Discovery Sets and will post a Picture here for those that may not have seen any before. I Also have the Original Newspaper from Tuscon from when they were discovered along with a nice letter from Bob Ford saying he was coming to Florida and would Visit me,but sadly he passed away first. These Quarters will probably always be a controversial topic of discussion,but that's what makes the world go 'round. Ray in Florida..
    image >>

That's funny, Bob Ford gets 100 "Discovery Coins" from NGC, But they wouldn't even give me 1 lousy label! imageimageimageimageimageimage

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    I still say you should take them up on the offer to put you on the label, it's better than a discovery label...at this point...IMHO...
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Oh my, this thread is still going.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John,
    You should call CNN.com and give them the story. Tell them you discovered the coin and whatnot. I bet they would cover the story, if not just for something to talk about on a no-news day.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    half, I feel your pain. It's all relative.

Mr. Ford got to enjoy his "discoveries" for only a few years and he was fortunate to get his recognition.

half, be patient, your discovery has only been out for 3 months. I remember when the WI quarter error was discovered, there was no thread like this. The difference is that his discovery made national news. I'm not saying that attribution requires media fanfare...just be patient and maybe a squeaky cog in the wheel and you will get what you want. Finally, life's not fare.

good luck

Ren
  • Options

<< <i>

The Wisconsin Leafs will always be haunted by the debate whether it was a die gouge or intentional act. Without question it was an intentional act, but I doubt the market will ever embrace this as being the consensus. Believe me, if someone confessed to deliberately messing with the dies and thus making their own version of the Wisconsin quarter this would be a $1000 coin overnight regardless of condition. The flatness in the market can also be attributed to the competition and this coming from the Washington and Adams Smooth Edges along with the Adams double edged. There is only so much money a collector has to spend and if they are trying to diversify their collection with errors then instead of just having the leafs to choose from they now have smooth edges and double edges to choose from. Personally, I was buying the leafs at almost a pace of 1 every month or two, but when the presidential errors surfaced I completely stopped buying leafs and directed my budget to the presidential errors. I have all the washington smooth edges I want and the adam's double edged, but the ADAMS smooth edges are still on my want list and I will get my handds on many as I can afford. With only a few thousand estimated to be out there this coin will always meet the rarity criteria which s probably the most important criteria in determining a coins true value. Again, competition and debate as to what caused the leaf errors have kept prices flat in my opinion.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John,
    You should call CNN.com and give them the story. Tell them you discovered the coin and whatnot. I bet they would cover the story, if not just for something to talk about on a no-news day. >>

jesse, you read my mind.

Ren

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file