Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    give me about 10 mins to photoshop my personal info off of it...then i'll post the letter I received.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>give me about 10 mins to photoshop my personal info off of it...then i'll post the letter I received. >>

Ok, but we are timing you!

FOIA INFORMATION!

I apologize in advance if this is difficult to read. Photobucket keeps cropping my image so I'll fix it after I get it up.

FIRST, here's the letter I sent to the Mint on 5/29/08. Some of the wording is weird because of the requirements and rules surrounding FOIA requests.
    I think I will start another thread specifically RE: the FOIA just for those who don't read this one, but I'll post everything here first for the vets of this thread image

SECOND, Here's the initial response I've received from the US Mint on 7/1/08 regarding the FOIA request I filed. Take it for what it's worth!

Edited to improve picture quality.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the updated, do you have a copy of the request you can show us?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for SGS or SEGS Slabs, I have a couple of the Full Step Nickel Club coins which I'll hang onto. I've also purchased mis-attributed SGS slabs and crossed them over to PCGS for a sizeable return.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with SEGS or SGS if you know what to look for as they do occasionally undergrade and misattribute.

aboncom is in Mansfield Ohio while SGS (Star Grading Service) is in Bellville Ohio which is a short drive away so my post is incorrect. >>

No....I believe you were correct.... aboncom IS SGS.
    As for knowing what to look for...sure. More power to ya. However, I still think what he does is unethical as there is no sane person who would believe all those are MS70 from SGS. It's just a numbers game for him.....reel in a few first time suckers and that makes up for everything. >>

I'm not talking about the 70's Ron, I'm referring to other coins that this fella slabs. Like my PCGS MS64 Type 2 he had slabbed as an MS65. I'd search for Type B quarters with him but he seems to use the same reverse on all his Washingtons. I've also notice him using Type 3 reverse on 1971-S 40% coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    2 weeks and we probably won't know any more than we do now.

<< <i>2 weeks and we probably won't know any more than we do now. >>

Don't shoot the messenger image

I just did what everyone was saying should be done and filed one image
    I'm just as skeptical as the rest of you that the Government will give us any actual answer!
    But it was worth a shot.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    "Uhh.. Mr. Moy, Sir, we got in an FOIA request about those error ASEs.. how should I answer this?"..

"Smithers! can't you see i'm busy going through a thousand boxes.. my fingernails are bleedingn from pulling out all these capsules.. don't bother me now.. tell the guy you're working on it and will answer him.. oh.. tell him 'two weeks'.. use standard response 12-A.. didn't you see 'The Money Pit'?.. two weeks.. that'll shut him up for a while.. now let me get back to what i was doing.. i've found almost ten thousand of them so far!"..

"Yessir! Mr. Moy, Sir!"
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lope, thank you for doing this, I really appreciate it.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lope, thank you for doing this, I really appreciate it. >>

Me too!

Can't wait for the response.

Joe
  • Thanks for the update on the FOIA that you filed to the US Mint Lope. I was just thinking about you today and wondered what became of it. Also was thinking that what if we who are here on this thread on the boards all filed an FOIA so that the mint will get some incentive to address this issue since a lot of people are interested in finding out instead of just 1 person....Just a thought. Thanks again Lope.image

<< <i>Thanks for the updated, do you have a copy of the request you can show us? >>

I edited my other post to include both documents.

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the updated, do you have a copy of the request you can show us? >>

I edited my other post to include both documents. >>

your letter TO the Mint is VERY well-worded.. image
    their response to you is not what i / we were hoping for, obviously, but it also doesn't slam the door shut on the matter either, does it.. the truth is out there.. can't wait to see their follow-up..

i think some more of us should join the party and file FOIAs too.. but don't just copy Lope's and sign it.. use similar, but your own wording if you do..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    If they want you to pay for the cost of researching and finding a real answer... count me in. I'll send you a donation for the cause, Lope. And I'm perfectly serious. Just don't know how to PM anyone.image

<< <i>If they want you to pay for the cost of researching and finding a real answer... count me in. I'll send you a donation for the cause, Lope. And I'm perfectly serious. Just don't know how to PM anyone.image >>

anyone who has PM enabled has a little orange lock icon in the row of icons in the upper right hand corner of their postings.. just find one of their postings and click the little orange lock and the rest should be fairly obvious image .. if there's no little orange lock, then they didn't enable PM-ing in their profile here..

Harv

• Pakasmom...see that Lock icon on the upper right hand corner? Just click on that on the specific board member you want to get in touch with and you will communicate privately. image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Again, thanks for your patience and your help, guys.
  • For those who may be interested, I have projected the year-end production for the 2008W SAE to be about 392,065 coins. This figure is based on the following:
    1) Weekly 2008W SAE Mint production stats beginning 04/07/08
    2) The most recent 5 week 2008W SAE Mint production stats, which now averages 2, 481 coins per week
    3) The average production rate is maintained throughout the remaining 25 2008 production weeks

If you assume that the mint's SWAG of 47,000 2008W 07 rev coins is correct, then the error/variety population will represent ~12% of the total mint production for the 2008W coin.

<< <i>For those who may be interested, I have projected the year-end production for the 2008W SAE to be about 392,065 coins. This figure is based on the following:
    1) Weekly 2008W SAE Mint production stats beginning 04/07/08
    2) The most recent 5 week 2008W SAE Mint production stats, which now averages 2, 481 coins per week
    3) The average production rate is maintained throughout the remaining 25 2008 production weeks

If you assume that the mint's SWAG of 47,000 2008W 07 rev coins is correct, then the error/variety population will represent ~12% of the total mint production for the 2008W coin. >>

Good stuff Wighty44. How does 392K compare to the last two years of W's?

• << <i> Good stuff Wighty44. How does 392K compare to the last two years of W's? >>

The 2008W (burnished) production would be somewhat lower than in 2006W (470,000), and 2007W (647,474).

Compared to the average annual W production from 2001 to 2007 (679,608), this year's projected year-end production will be much lower - 57.6% lower (assuming the Mint doesn't raise production later in the year).

edit to remove the word "burnished"... image

• << <i>

<< <i> Good stuff Wighty44. How does 392K compare to the last two years of W's? >>

The 2008W (burnished) production would be somewhat lower than in 2006W (470,000), and 2007W (647,474).

Compared to the average annual W burnished production from 2001 to 2007 (679,608), this year's projected year-end production will be much lower - 57.6% lower (assuming the Mint doesn't raise production later in the year). >>

Um....I don't understand why you think this year's production will be substantially lower than previous years...especially since the demand for silver has gone through the roof for this year.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    "Compared to the average annual W burnished production from 2001 to 2007"??? Burnished didn't start until 2006, so i don't get the number thing from 2001-2005?

<< <i>

<< <i> Good stuff Wighty44. How does 392K compare to the last two years of W's? >>

Compared to the average annual W burnished production from 2001 to 2007 (679,608), this year's projected year-end production will be much lower - 57.6% lower (assuming the Mint doesn't raise production later in the year). >>

wait a sec.. correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't 2006 the first year of the -W Burnished AND Mintmarked ASEs?.. they came in a capsule in a little velvet bag inside the blue box.. then the 2007s were just a capsule in an indentation in a similar little blue box.. then 2008-W was the same, except until a guy named Nanney discovered something image ..

ye Holy Red Book shows previous years of "W" ASEs but none before 2006 with the designation of "Burnished" and although they were Minted at West Point, the "W" is shown as "(W)" since they didn't have the Mintmark.. right?..

<< <i>"Compared to the average annual W burnished production from 2001 to 2007"??? Burnished didn't start until 2006, so i don't get the number thing from 2001-2005? >>

You got some 'splainin to do Lucy!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • They will probably be selling the returns for many months so the need to produce more will be decreased. Also if you are buying eagles because of the rising silver price then the regular bullion (non-w) would make more sense since it's cheaper and closer to the bullion value
  • Boy did I screw-up... Correction to follow.... image

• << <i>Perhaps I was a bit over zealous with the word "burnished". I only meant to group the "W" mint marked unc. SAEs from 2001 to date so as to get a bit more "W" production history for the calulated average propduction >>

Ok...There were NO w'S BEFORE 2006.
    Mintage numbers of the 2001-2005 were well over 8 MILLION per year and that would mess up the average a tad

• << <i>

<< <i>Perhaps I was a bit over zealous with the word "burnished". I only meant to group the "W" mint marked unc. SAEs from 2001 to date so as to get a bit more "W" production history for the calulated average propduction >>

Ok...There were NO w'S BEFORE 2006.
    Mintage numbers of the 2001-2005 were well over 8 MILLION per year and that would mess up the average a tad >>

Before 2006, the only ASE’s that had the “W” mintmark were the proofs. I don’t think we’re comparing apples to apples here.
  • Corrected Reply

The 2008W (burnished) production should be somewhat lower the average of the 2006W (250,000) and 2007W (563,711) burnished SAE production figures - 406,886. The projected 2008W year-end production will be about 96% of the 2006/2007 production average.

This will teach me not to try and remodel a bathroom and read a spreadsheet at the same time (I mistakenly used the proof W production figures in my earlier post). image

I greatly apologize for the errant post above... ugh!! image
  • 2006 W burnished still remains King.
  • Sorry, but no way will the 2008 W Unc's be less than 2007 or 2006.

MINT STATS AT THIS TIME A YEAR AGO

Last Year by July 16th Reporty Date 358K had sold, this year on July 10th Report Date 330K have sold. + These numbers are less returns!

There is a shortage of $1 Silver Business units and the market is moving to the Burnished units. We have almost 5.5 months to go, believe me not a chance.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered a few more 2008 W MS Burnished UNC. ASE's from the Mint's ordering phone line here in Texas. For what it is worth, the order taker said that they have a good supply of coins in Inventory; they are selling well and they probably will not mint any more 2008 W's once their inventory sells out. I have a hunch that the product will be sold out sooner than we think. Comments.....
    Specialized Investments
  • They made more than they did last year and they will sell out near 600K-650K, based on how the Mint projects future sales.

<< <i>I just ordered a few more 2008 W MS Burnished UNC. ASE's from the Mint's ordering phone line here in Texas. For what it is worth, the order taker said that they have a good supply of coins in Inventory; they are selling well and they probably will not mint any more 2008 W's once their inventory sells out. I have a hunch that the product will be sold out sooner than we think. Comments..... >>

I think there's plenty of reason to believe they will make at least as many this year as they did last year when it comes to the W Burnished Eagles. However,
    I'm rooting for your hunch to be correct, and stranger things have happened. With the shortage of silver blanks being supplied to the Mint, who knows?
    Either way, I got a load of 08/08's sitting around that I didn't return from the 07 reverse fiesta. It'd be nice to see silver go up in price if nothing else!
    so first i kicked myself for ordering some 2008-W Burnisheds hoping to get 08/07s and got none.. so i returned them all and had to eat the return Postage.. the Mint credited back my plastic.. i sent them back the cheapest way possible.. can't even remember if i Insured them but they got 'em..

now i'm supposed to kick myself some more for not KEEPING them because the 08/08 Burnished -Ws are gonna be low Mintage?.. c'mon.. my butt can't stand much more kicking..

i think the final 2008-W Burnished final Mintage will be on par with the 2007-W Burnished.. well over half a million.. but who knows..

maybe i should order them back again.. in case the Mintage IS low.. and on the one in a bajillion chance there are still 08/07s lurking in those bins in Memphis..

"Do the masochism Tango" - Tom Lehrer..

• << <i>The 2008W (burnished) production should be somewhat lower the average of the 2006W (250,000) and 2007W (563,711) burnished SAE production figures - 406,886. >>

Not to beat this into into the ground but there were 250,000 2006 w's in the 20th Anniversary sets but that was not the total minted...see below:

2006-W Burnished Silver Eagles Sales Figures
    Single Coin 200,000
    20th Anniv Silver Set 250,000
    20th Anniv Gold & Silver Set 20,000

470,000 is more like it

Also.....They have plenty of stock on hand because of the many rejected returns
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    It's not beaten into the ground when it's correct....image
  • CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭

<< <i>2006 W burnished still remains King. >>

I hope so, If 2008-W were to come in below 2006-W. We would have to put a suicide watch on Coinboy !!!!

• No, I'm content.

• << <i>Not to beat this into into the ground but there were 250,000 2006 w's in the 20th Anniversary sets but that was not the total minted...see below:

2006-W Burnished Silver Eagles Sales Figures
    Single Coin 200,000
    20th Anniv Silver Set 250,000
    20th Anniv Gold & Silver Set 20,000

470,000 is more like it

Also.....They have plenty of stock on hand because of the many rejected returns >>

I just read an eBay article on the 20th Anniversary SAEs that agrees with your numbers. Thank you for the information. I also agree that pointing this out is not "beating a dead horse"... image

<< <i>I also agree that pointing this out is not "beating a dead horse"... image >>

no it's not.. but this is::

sorry.. i couldn't resist image
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Last Year by July 16th Reporty Date 358K had sold, this year on July 10th Report Date 330K have sold. + These numbers are less returns!

How do you know that this number is with the returns accounted out and not just raw sales figures?

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget they need to have 100,000 for the presidential series if they are going to make the same set as last year's. Are these already make and part of the 300 + thousand already minted? How many returns (rejects) are still waiting to be dumped on the collectors ordering now? The mint is being hammered for bullion coins at this time and they still have plenty of w's sitting in stock. They are going to give priority to the bullion coins at this time and don't forget, they will be starting production of the 09 coins in Sept. I strongly feel, as I have been saying for months, THEY ARE DONE MINTING 2008 W'S. Mark my words, anyone that want's more better order them now.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've believed the same as posted above for awhile now.
    I think the mint is hammered on the pure bullion coins, has enough trouble getting blanks for those needs, has already minted a fair number of 2008-W and will soon go into other items (more proof sets, mint sets, commems, next year's sets, etc).

They took the 2006-W off the market "early" in 2006. no reason why they won't do the same here.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Coin World states "Silver coin sales set record, top 1.7 million pieces
    June was a record-breaking month for sales of the American Eagle 1-ounce .999 fine silver bullion coins by the United States Mint."

Just sat down to read the latest issue of Numismatic News and only got to page 4.

In the July 8th, 2008 issue there's a snippet claiming...

"Size of Eagle Box Determines Reverse"

Boxes for the 2008-W uncirculated American Eagle coins sold to collectors by the Mint seem to indicate by size
    whether the reverse of '08 or reverse of '07 is used on the coin inside. This observation was made by reader
    Morgan Spilsbury of Bolton, Mass., who took this photograph. Coins with last year's reverse come in smaller
    boxes as shown.

Uggh, another reason why NN bugs me each week. This was disproved, what, 3,000 posts ago on this thread?

They didn't even attempt to verify that information before printing it. What a joke.

<< <i>

<< <i>I also agree that pointing this out is not "beating a dead horse"... image >>

no it's not.. but this is::

sorry.. i couldn't resist image >>

My dead horse is bigger than your deadhorse!

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Coin World states "Silver coin sales set record, top 1.7 million pieces
    June was a record-breaking month for sales of the American Eagle 1-ounce .999 fine silver bullion coins by the United States Mint." >>

That figure may be only for the 2008 Bullion Silver Eagles and not the 2008-W SAE which the Mint considers a "collector" coin. They do keep separate totals for both.

The name is LEE!
  • How do you know that this number is with the returns accounted out and not just raw sales figures?

It is a fact that the US Mint does account (slowly) for returns in the weekly totals.

Jeez, just last year there was a big thread on this.

The fluctuation of the returns was shown with the 2007 W Unc Plats, as an example.

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Sorry CoinBoy to slow. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file