Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would expect to see the NGC "multi" holders soon. That would make a very nice 2 coin presentation! >>

Gainesville had them last week. I was not able to find them again.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would expect to see the NGC "multi" holders soon. That would make a very nice 2 coin presentation! >>

Gainesville had them last week. I was not able to find them again. >>

Unique Coins on tv had the multi-holder NGC with both reverses, one bullion and one proof graded at ms70. This was only a day after the discovery statement by NGC. I know cuz I bought one.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?????

What happened? I was tracking raws on ebay this weekend and they settled between $172 to $205 and I see one of my raws this morning are north of $300!

Ren
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>?????

What happened? I was tracking raws on ebay this weekend and they settled between $172 to $205 and I see one of my raws this morning are north of $300!

Ren >>

CW says the Mints says about 45,000 coins may have been made.

Second, I think ModernCoinMart's 25 coin dutch auction drove down the price for Sunday. I even pulled a couple auctions because of it.

• ModernCoinMart is now out of 69's but has quite a few (over 30) of both type (ER/Non-ER) of the 70's left at $389/399. I bought the last of the non-ER 69's today

• << <i>

<< <i>?????

Ren >>

Second, I think ModernCoinMart's 25 coin dutch auction drove down the price for Sunday. I even pulled a couple auctions because of it. >>

Raw with OGP may actually bring a premium over slabbed MS69s as some will hope to score a raw MS70. I bought some raw 07/08 off Ebay that look like they have a good shot at MS70. Better than those I got directly from the mint.
  • keezkeez Posts: 842
    Looking forward to hearing what the mail brings everyone today. I'm expecting 2 that I ordered on 4/19 and shipped out from the Mint on 4/24. Like everyone else, I have my fingers crossed that they will be the 2007 reverse.
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i><< How many 06 W unc's are there and how many 95 W proof's are there? >>

Wasn't the '06-W mintage over 500,000 including sets & single sales? >>

Yes John, Over 500K image

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Just found this:

I have updated the mintage figures from a previous post, which compares the 2006 mintages to the 2007 mintages. Once again, figures are for the total across all product types, including last year's 20th Anniversary Gold and Silver Eagle sets and the 4 coin Gold Eagle Sets.

2006-W 2007-W
    1 oz gold 49,975 16,707
    1/2 oz gold 18,850 8,434
    1/4 oz gold 19,925 9,578
    1/10 oz gold 25,650 18,951
    1 oz silver 496,200 518,366
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    it's pretty bad out there, I guess.

there's an established ebay seller who is already resorting to keyword spamming to hawk their 08/07reverse raw ASEs.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it's pretty bad out there, I guess. there's an established ebay seller who is already resorting to keyword spamming to hawk their 08/07reverse raw ASEs. >>

What kind of spam? PCGS/NGC? I'm selling a few raw and I'm expecting more interest in those than in the graded 69s. --Jerry
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    If there are 45000+ extant as the Mint is claiming, then there has to be 10s of thousands either still at the Mint/Fulfillment Center, enroute, or yet to be discovered.

Something else that doesn't make sense to me; when the Philadelphia die shop makes these dies would they not produce them in pairs or at least send equal numbers to the WP Mint? When they make die changes on a collector series like this wouldn't they change the dies in pairs? What reason would the operators have to use these leftover dies. Did some manager at Phili, realizing that WP had left over dies short them 15 rev. dies as a cost savings? I'll wager that this foul-up was seeded at the Mother Mint.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    I Just opened 75 of them, packed on 4/22--delivered toay 4/28--0-75--all normal--looks like the mint stopped the migration. Some were obviously packed a bit crooked, and all were in very tight--probably went through QA before shipping. Most had perfect rerses, and dusty obverses (silver specks in field and sun)
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If there are 45000+ extant as the Mint is claiming, then there has to be 10s of thousands either still at the Mint/Fulfillment Center, enroute, or yet to be discovered.

Something else that doesn't make sense to me; when the Philadelphia die shop makes these dies would they not produce them in pairs or at least send equal numbers to the WP Mint? When they make die changes on a collector series like this wouldn't they change the dies in pairs? What reason would the operators have to use these leftover dies. Did some manager at Phili, realizing that WP had left over dies short them 15 rev. dies as a cost savings? I'll wager that this foul-up was seeded at the Mother Mint.

Regards,

John >>

Why does it matter how it happened? fact is it did and its great fer the lucky stiffs who got em to flip.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • I got mine today 2/2 reverse image

Why does it matter how it happened? fact is it did and its great fer the lucky stiffs who got em to flip.
    >>

Have a good one!!!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If there are 45000+ extant as the Mint is claiming, then there has to be 10s of thousands either still at the Mint/Fulfillment Center, enroute, or yet to be discovered.

Regards,

John >>

yes but i will also say the fulfillment center checked AND returned the 08/07's back to the usmint for melt (destruction)
  • 1.) 2006 P Reverse Proof PR(PF) 69 still getting $200+ today with 250,000 Units outstanding,

2.) 1995 W Proof w/ 30,125 Units fetches thousands. ($3,700 to $4,200 on Ebay common)

3.) 2008 W with 2007 W Reverse is now said to be at 47,000 Units = over a $1,000 at some point?

There are enough changes between 2007 and 2008 that are so readily discerned, I find it hard not to see this frenzy getting even more frothy. I've been promised (5) MS69 First Strikes for over a week and a half, yet I bought (4) today just in case.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    yes coinboy

i am buy these in NGC 70 only now although I have a 69.

• keezkeez Posts: 842
    Received one Saturday from Gainesville and one today from Moderncoinmart, but not the ones from the Mint yet.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 auctions only for keywords 2008 reverse of 2007 on the bay.
  • ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭

<< <i>40 auctions only for keywords 2008 reverse of 2007 on the bay. >>

Take out "of" and you get 111 on the bay.

<< <i>

<< <i>40 auctions only for keywords 2008 reverse of 2007 on the bay. >>

Take out "of" and you get 111 on the bay. >>

I just put 2008 2007.

Ren

<< <i>

<< <i>How many 06 W unc's are there and how many 95 W proof's are there? >>

250,000/30,000+

Stupid brain, I was thinking of the 2006 P RP.

Ren >>

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Guess that the greed factor doesn't enter into the equation as much for me as for some folks. Must be why I'm so damn broke! image

Being from a manufacturing background and several years in QC, I find the story-behind-the-story fascinating.

Guess I'm the only one. image

BTW - It's beer thirty. Later folks! image

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

If there are 5 to 7% (previous posters number) variety/error coins out there and last years "W"s were rounded up to 600,000, that would put this "coin" at 30,000 to 42,000 pieces. Even if it were 50% we would be looking at around the 2006 P Rev Proof numbers which go for around $300.00. Ah, but there are differences.

I posted this on the 25th...fairly close call. These should fly past $500. Of course that's just a wag.

The 08/07 W is a nice error/variety but it doesn't stand out like the stand alone 2006 P RP. And the 1995 W Proof is beautiful to boot if it doesn't have milk spots...so it may take a while until this one catches on after the initial pump and dumpers get through their cycle.

Wait until you start seeing ads for these coins in CW.

Ren

Ahhhh, will you grade them or keep 'em raw? image

Have a good one!!!

<< <i>Why does it matter how it happened? fact is it did and its great fer the lucky stiffs who got em to flip. Guess that the greed factor doesn't enter into the equation as much for me as for some folks. Must be why I'm so damn broke! image Being from a manufacturing background and several years in QC, I find the story-behind-the-story fascinating. Guess I'm the only one. image BTW - It's beer thirty. Later folks! image Regards, John >>

You're not the only one. Thinking like you do is especially helpful in understanding the Presidential Dollar errors. Have one for me. --Jerry
  • I just ordered 2 -250 coin bags (P+D) mints - and 2 sets of rolls- Sacagaweas - i was bored waiting for my SAE's -

I am also still waiting for the US mint to Ship my ASE s 100 in all- (@ Batches of 50 each) They charged my account -(4 Days AGO! )
    They were billed to my account
    Order #: 2******* 1 Order date: 4/23/08

Sold To: , JORDAN E

Ship To: JORDAN E

Order Process Date: 4/23/08

Merchandise : 1297.50
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 1302.45

1. 2008 AE SILVER UNC MM 1 OZ (Z8F)
    Qty 50 @ $25.95 - Backordered 04/16/08.

I wonder are they going through every box to make sure there are NO 2007 reverses????

They can prepare to get a BIG load back if that is the case.
    I usually don;t get charged untill they ship??? it has been 4 days now and still not shipped ??
    Crazy fools at the US mint
    AAAARRRGGGimageimage

Good luck to all 0
    Jmcoins
    J Macs COINS n Collectibles
  • You think they are actually going through orders and picking out the 07 reverses ... They work by the hours what would be their motivation for that - HMMMPH

I want 100 2007 reverses - All I got was 5 07 reverses - and I bought 8 more at 200 each (just in case).............. I wana see these things rise like fresh dough!!
    best wishes to all!

Jmcoins

Jordan
    J Macs COINS n Collectibles

<< <i>

<< <i>Why does it matter how it happened? fact is it did and its great fer the lucky stiffs who got em to flip. Guess that the greed factor doesn't enter into the equation as much for me as for some folks. Must be why I'm so damn broke! image Being from a manufacturing background and several years in QC, I find the story-behind-the-story fascinating. Guess I'm the only one. image BTW - It's beer thirty. Later folks! image Regards, John >>

You're not the only one. Thinking like you do is especially helpful in understanding the Presidential Dollar errors. Have one for me. --Jerry >>

Of course its nice to know how it happened, but knowing that these errors get out, that knowledge doesn't seem to get put to good use cuz it keeps happening. Perhaps they have employees who don't care or are rushed to the point that mistakes happen or don't get stuff in time to meet a deadline and use substitute parts. Stuff like that happens all over.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i> but knowing that these errors get out, that knowledge doesn't seem to get put to good use cuz it keeps happening. >>

Humans make errors. I've spent a career in an industry where errors cannot be tolerated and it is very interesting what it takes to reduce human error rates to 10E-6 or below. Unless loss of significant human life is at risk, expect errors. Well designed processes can significantly reduce it and frankly, I think the USMint has a performance history that is outstanding in this regard.

As for error likely situations: Take the pres bucks for example. I said edge lettering errors will be with us forever until they make it a single process like the proofs. Then we find they can put the proof collar together in the wrong order. But the error rate is much lower.

I really don't think it is that they don't care. I'm sure the managers have error rate in the bonus structure. Like we saw with the dollars on quarter plancet error, they really try to keep them out of circulation.

--Jerry
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Hey Jerry, your raw one is pushing $355.00 with 6 minutes left, good jobimagelink
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    imageimage
  • I guess the real question is if the mint is letting any more of these out. It still could be a much lower number if not....By the way....NGC has their numbers up in their census today.

Adam

<< <i>Hey Jerry, your raw one is pushing $355.00 with 6 minutes left, good jobimagelink >>

Thanks for the update. I can't see it from here. image

<< <i>I guess the real question is if the mint is letting any more of these out. It still could be a much lower number if not....By the way....NGC has their numbers up in their census today.

Adam >>

So pray tell what are the numbers?image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased two yesterday on the bay for $185 BIN. I asked the seller if had any more and I purchased a few more off eBay for $175 each and paid with PayPal. I hope he delivers them!!! For some reason I am worried I will get an email stating that my PayPal payment was reversed.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I am also still waiting for the US mint to Ship my ASE s 100 in all- (@ Batches of 50 each) They charged my account -(4 Days AGO! )
    They were billed to my account
    Order #: 28769726 - 1 Order date: 4/23/08

Sold To: , JORDAN E

Ship To: XXXXXXXXXXX, JORDAN E

Order Process Date: 4/23/08

Merchandise : 1297.50
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 1302.45

Actually Jordan your order shipped yesterday and being delivered tomorrow 12/29 before 12:00

Tracking number

Ship date
    Apr 28, 2008

Estimated delivery
    Apr 29, 2008 by 12:00 PM

Reference

Destination
    NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA

Service type
    Priority Overnight - Adult Signature Required

Weight
    9.0 lbs.

Status
    Package data transmitted to FedEx

Date/Time

Activity

Details

Apr 28, 2008 4:06 AM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

Plus the bad guys can get your age (40) birthdate, address, run a calculator for your drivers license, and you get your identity stolen, edit that stuff off.

<< <i>

<< <i> but knowing that these errors get out, that knowledge doesn't seem to get put to good use cuz it keeps happening. >>

Humans make errors. I've spent a career in an industry where errors cannot be tolerated and it is very interesting what it takes to reduce human error rates to 10E-6 or below. Unless loss of significant human life is at risk, expect errors. Well designed processes can significantly reduce it and frankly, I think the USMint has a performance history that is outstanding in this regard.

As for error likely situations: Take the pres bucks for example. I said edge lettering errors will be with us forever until they make it a single process like the proofs. Then we find they can put the proof collar together in the wrong order. But the error rate is much lower.

I really don't think it is that they don't care. I'm sure the managers have error rate in the bonus structure. Like we saw with the dollars on quarter plancet error, they really try to keep them out of circulation.

--Jerry >>

Well they made them fo 22 years straight without these problems, but you would think if they were changing designs they would render all old dies, etc unserviceable. Sounds like they had a deadline to meet and no new dies or whatever so they used old ones.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • NGC has graded 2, 175 in total......1,264 in MS69....and.....911 in MS70

Adam

<< <i>I purchased two yesterday on the bay for $185 BIN. I asked the seller if had any more and I purchased a few more off eBay for $175 each and paid with PayPal. I hope he delivers them!!! For some reason I am worried I will get an email stating that my PayPal payment was reversed. >>

I sold a couple yesterday in that price range and one lower. They are in the mail if they're paid for. If anyone bought from me feel free to relist them as your coins are on their way. --Jerry
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>?????

Ren >>

Second, I think ModernCoinMart's 25 coin dutch auction drove down the price for Sunday. I even pulled a couple auctions because of it. >>

Worked for me I picked up 2 on that auction!
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    The numbers for NGC are:
    68 69 70
    2008 W EAGLE S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 16374 2 8169 8203
    2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 88 46 42
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 2087 1218 869

Im actually very surprised by these numbers--If there are 45,000 out there, you know the big guys like MCM and Gainesville were the big buyers since they were also the first graded and the first sellers--so are there going to be twice as many in the future--only 5,000 coins graded? Or has the big flood already passed? These could be much more difficult to find in the future.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the big flood has passed. I can't imagine the mint was the last to hear about this either. As soon as they did, I am sure they started pulling coins off the shelves. They must have ways of determining which batch or lot of coins in their warehouse included the 2007 rev coins. They gave a very specific timeframe for their production and production figures.

On top of that, there have got to be many people out there that bought this coin and will probably never look for the variety. So, the only numbers we will be able to go with for population purposes are those of graded coins. I am sure there were A LOT of people that were holding off on their coins to send to PCGS for grading, so I expect the current numbers to double as soon as PCGS releases their numbers but I don't think it will increase substantially after that. Everyone that was going to get them graded had time to send them into either PCGS or NGC for their First Strike/Early Releases and I can't think of why they wouldn't have already.

I think the total number of graded coins will fall between 8,000 and 14,000.

...........But then again, what do I know?
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased two yesterday on the bay for $185 BIN. I asked the seller if had any more and I purchased a few more off eBay for $175 each and paid with PayPal. I hope he delivers them!!! For some reason I am worried I will get an email stating that my PayPal payment was reversed. >>

Same here.

I bought 4 raw Saturday evening @$175 and paid via Paypal right after.

I hope I see them.
    Joe
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Modern Coin Mart.. hmm.. why does that name sound familiar?.. could it be because they pushed an email ad for these out via Numismatic News last Thursday, 24 April, 2008.. which said "prices are volatile.. call for prices".. so i called.. three times.. hours apart.. and got voice mail.. three times.. and left three messages.. with three different guys.. even dialing "extension 0" got me voice mail.. and four days later, not one of the three different guys i left voice mail for called back.. yeah, they're gonna get a lot of my future business.. uhh.. NOT..

these coins will be front page news in the next issue of both CW and NN.. and if that 45,000 Mintage figure that's been flying around here is true (where did it come from?).. i'll bet you dimes to donuts that in a week or two, $350.00 for an NGC MS69 Early Release is gonna look like a Pic'n'Save price.. i've got four of 'em sitting here, thanks to a kind friend.. three of 'em will go up on eBay when my gut tells me the price point is right.. my gut has not told me that yet.. once that Mintage number is confirmed by a reliable source and makes the rounds through the coin media.. well, i've been right before, and i've been wrong before, but sometimes the old gut tells me something and right now it's is telling me that if that Mintage figure holds, these coins are gonna be a grand and i don't mean in years..

just my opinion.. i could be wrong..

{{raise shields Mr. Sulu}}..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • I recommended a woman at work buy 50 SAE Ws from the mint. She bought quite a few and checked some for the 07 reverse. All 7 that she checked had the reverse but she got "tired hands" from pulling the coins out of the boxes so she stopped checking!
    So she could have 43 more.

So lucky yet so lazy...
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    7% max on this. I cant see more than 50,000 coins.

I'm sticking my neck out here, but, I believe there is less than 30,000.

<< <i>The numbers for NGC are: 68 69 70 2008 W EAGLE S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 16374 2 8169 8203 2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 88 46 42 2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 2087 1218 869 Im actually very surprised by these numbers--If there are 45,000 out there, you know the big guys like MCM and Gainesville were the big buyers since they were also the first graded and the first sellers--so are there going to be twice as many in the future--only 5,000 coins graded? Or has the big flood already passed? These could be much more difficult to find in the future. >>

Many were probably graded before the variety was notice. there may be lots in again for attribution. --Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file