Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone seen the latest coin world on-line issue? I just checked it out the
    US Mint estimates approximately 47,000 coins where made using 15 reverse of 2007 dies. >>

Yup, it was posted a few pages ago on this thread.... >>

Somebody want to write an index to this thread????? >>

somebody want to confirm with the Mint that the 47,000 figure is wrong and there are only 3000 of these so i can start selling mine for two grand each?.. will we ever get a TRUE Mintage number?.. or will it be an eternal mystery like those pointy things in Egypt that the guys from the Monolith built?.. >>

If the mint knows how many dies they will know the exat mintage. The question is will they release it? IMO, the mint will release all of the coins, I don't think they will view these as real errors. >>

They should have records of how many pieces were struck from each die, but they will not have records of how many were destroyed as rejects, so saying "about 47,000" is a very reasonable thing to do.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Welcome to the Forum!

We have a great new member here, folks!

• evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    PCGS MS 70 just sold for 1,025 on ebay......
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS 70 just sold for 1,025 on ebay...... >>

Is that a record so far?
  • $1025 is a record, but only 2 PCGS MS70s have closed thus far. I have one closing on Thursday,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330232282998&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

PCGS is grading these very conservatively, as they should. I'll keep this thread updated on pop information, but none has been published yet. I only have my own results to judge the grade through rate. Most of these coins went to NGC. I know one dealer who had over 1,200 sent there.

-Rachel
    rachel@firstcoinsource.com
    Thank you!
    Rachel
    (eBay ID - Samzuzo)
    First Coin Source
  • Rachel...

Welcome to the forum. image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>QUESTION: I just got an e-mail from PCGS that my 2008 W ASE's shipped....I sent them in before anything was known about the 2007 reverse. Will they have a 2007 reverse label, if there were any? >>

It occurs to me that once you knew about these errors and had coins in to PCGS that you should have called them at the time and had them check them and have them take care of any error coins as needed. Now you have to get them back, look them over and resubmit and wait and wait.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Rachel,

It's great to see you around here. You should stop by and say hello more often!

• vanwagvanwag Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hi all!

I'm a long time lurker and I've learned a great deal over the last couple of years reading this forum... thanks! Never posted before because I never had anything worth sharing, but I just received a Mint order for 4 2008 UNC W's and ALL FOUR had 2007 reverses... yipee! Order date was 4/21/08 at 8:43am EST, ship date 4/25 and they arrived yesterday 4/29 with normal shipping.

I would have never ordered them if it weren't for the PCGS forum, so thanks again!!!

• Thanks for the PM, Rachel.

See there folks, that's another someone working on properly maintaining their online presence. Let that be an example.

You've got a good shot at getting me to visit your website again, Rachel. See ya'...

jsf
  • 112 auctions
    -69 33 29.5%
    -70 13 11.6
    Other 66 58.9
  • Hi Jordan Here,
    I ordered 100 2008 W ASE's on Wed 4/23 for 2 50 coin orders a total of 100 coins- I received them yesterday
    ALL were 2008 reverses
    NO MORE!
    don't waste your time.
    The label was on the bottom not the side like an order I placed on the 14th before i knew about the error - all I have are 5 from the mint 07 rev delivered last week
    and 8 on the way that I bought raw for 200 each ............
    I am not going to miss out on this one
    I am sending them all back (the 2008 reverses )_ well almost all od them.....
    best wishes to all
    Jmac coin man

<< <i>Living a day at a time >>

J Macs COINS n Collectibles
  • Do you think the mintage will be low enough to make it worth while to keep all 100 2008 reverses I have ?image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    probably not but you never know
  • ASE with correct 2008 reverse could be a low mintage if.........

If everyones attention and funds are drawn to the 2007 reverse coins........

If everyone with a 2007 reverse wants a 2008 reverse to complete the set.........

If silver bullion prices continue to slide and mint does not reprice ASE leaving a widening spread........

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Jordan Here,
    I ordered 100 2008 W ASE's on Wed 4/23 for 2 50 coin orders a total of 100 coins- I received them yesterday
    ALL were 2008 reverses
    NO MORE!
    don't waste your time.
    The label was on the bottom not the side like an order I placed on the 14th before i knew about the error - all I have are 5 from the mint 07 rev delivered last week
    and 8 on the way that I bought raw for 200 each ............
    I am not going to miss out on this one
    I am sending them all back (the 2008 reverses )_ well almost all od them.....
    best wishes to all
    Jmac coin man

<< <i>Living a day at a time >>

>>

that is why (i think) they removed as much as they could at fulfillment center, the mint may have "made" 47k but i really have a gut feeling not all of those got out to
    John Q Collector/Flipper/Dealer

I hope you are right.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is why (i think) they removed as much as they could at fulfillment center, the mint may have "made" 47k but i really have a gut feeling not all of those got out to
    John Q Collector/Flipper/Dealer >>

I'm tending to agree with you. Many have stated that they can see that their coin holder has been tampered with...much like the Monroe dollar/quarter incident.

I think the mintage could be closer to the 1995 W Proof ASE. That is key. If the mintage down the road can be verified to be lower than 30,125...look out.

Many are coming up goose egg in the past few days. The discovery window is a tiny blip on the radar this year. The Mint will continue cranking out 08/08W for the rest of the year.

MCM---Thanks for the Early Release. Nice doing biz with you.

Welcome to the newcomers!

Ren
  • I'll also chime in to say I had ordered a box of 100 on the 20th. It arrived on the 25th.
    Zero yield....all 2008s.

Had clearly been opened and resealed by the fullfillment center. The usual brown reinforced tape had been cut in middle and on both ends and was resealed with regular clear cellophane tape.

I considered that they had to put invoice in box but that didn't require cutting both ends and middle.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Mine were the same way, 3 boxes with just clear tape, and most of the 150 had box damage....Zero with the 07 reverse.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would the mint send out damaged stuff? If you screw up the velvet box gettin the coin out, then put the coin back into a new box before you ship it back out. Same wif returns; put the coin in a new box if you plan to resell it as new and if it looks like a bulk order has been searched then, deduct the cost of the replacement boxes from the refund.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Welcome! image

Well, are the ASEW08R07 done? no blue lables from pcgs in this coin?
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's common enough to find one.

Not really in the spirit of profiting are we?image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• OK, some 2008w w/ 2007 Reverse coins have hit the PCGS Pop...

PCGS MS70 - 41
    PCGS MS69 - 321

Will try to keep tally posted on a daily basis, but no promises I'm pretty busy image

Best,
    Rachelimage
    Thank you!
    Rachel
    (eBay ID - Samzuzo)
    First Coin Source
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fulfillment Center must be their last arm of QA.image

Ren
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, some 2008w w/ 2007 Reverse coins have hit the PCGS Pop...

PCGS MS70 - 41
    PCGS MS69 - 321

Will try to keep tally posted on a daily basis, but no promises I'm pretty busy image

Best,
    Rachelimage >>

12.8% MS70s so far. Thanks for the post image
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have 90 due to arrive this morning. Ordered the 25th, sent the 29th. These were 9 orders of 1. My 25 coin order and my 99 coin order have not been sent.
  • Let it be known I pulled about 25 2008 with 2008 reverses out of the order totalling 100- The ones I sent back were DAMAGED- Some with rim damage most returned had a sparkly look as if they were not burnished properly. I would never send back saying "changed my mind" - why would anyone do that - so some unlucky buyer gets the same junk!!!!- NOT COOLimage

That should probably be mentioned. I think it is fine and each to his own but I like to think of the rest of my fellow collectors. We are in this together . That is why we take the time to post and offer advice , help and sympathy (when needed) - It can be a tough business.
    Too many are all in it for ME ME ME . If I take the time t write in a post it is because I appreciate the time and effort of other posters...... The junk should go back into the melting pot-

I agree it would be "tacky" to just cherry pick a few and return for no reason............ That is why so many of us get junk and have to return 50 out of 100 (or more)

Let us know if there are any members selling at less than 200. (average)

God Bless to all

<< <i>Living a day at a time... >>

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, some 2008w w/ 2007 Reverse coins have hit the PCGS Pop...

PCGS MS70 - 41
    PCGS MS69 - 321

Best,
    Rachelimage >>

Just curious, do you have the numbers for the 2008/2008 ASE?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    For some reason it strikes me as funny that some of the 2008obv/2007rev were colorized. I saw one the other day and had to laugh just a little before I though "what a waste"

Jeff
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For some reason it strikes me as funny that some of the 2008obv/2007rev were colorized. I saw one the other day and had to laugh just a little before I though "what a waste" Jeff >>

Interesting. Wouldn't it be funny if the first 30,000 of these went to the paint shop before the variety was recognized. --Jerry image
    I agree it would be "tacky" to just cherry pick a few and return for no reason............

There are many good reasons for the returns. The reasons are:It's all about the image....profiting.

PCGS MS70 - 41
    PCGS MS69 - 321

"Not rare" already. Am I the only one who is seeing the similarities to the 1950 D nickel craze?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    There were 2.6 Million 1950 D nickels minted, this one could be 1% of that mintage.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • As requested PCGS Pop #s for Regular 2008w w/ '08 Reverse

MS69 - 3584
    MS70 - 660

Best,
    Rachel
    rachel@firstcoinsource.com image
    Thank you!
    Rachel
    (eBay ID - Samzuzo)
    First Coin Source

• << <i> Hi Jordan Here, I ordered 100 2008 W ASE's on Wed 4/23 for 2 50 coin orders a total of 100 coins- I received them yesterday ALL were 2008 reverses NO MORE! don't waste your time. >>

So...I quess there is no reason to bother attempting to try and get one through the mint then?..........image

Thanks....

Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. - General George S. Patton
    Not if you are just going to send them back when you dont get the 07 reverses. It just costs money and wastes your time.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    phillymatt

Would you post your order# so I know if mine are close?
    70's-41/660=.06 (1/17) 69's- 321/3584=.09 (1/11)

• As requested PCGS Pop #s for Regular 2008w w/ '08 Reverse
    MS69 - 3584
    MS70 - 660

Thanks, Rachel!

Here are the NGC Numbers:

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS - 88 Graded
    MS69=46
    MS70=42

2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS - 2,087 Graded
    MS69=1,218
    MS70=869

One reason the US Mint changed the Die Hubb for both the obverse and reverse for the ASE was because of the poor metal flow results. The new 2008 ASE Die hubs are obviously better and yield a more more complementary result when comparing a coin of 2007 ASE die pair.

That said, the new combination of a 2008 obverse with a 2007 reverse creates a different complementary result with metal flow.

Another variable not finalized is knowing if the Mint used 'USED" dies or simply un-used 2007 reverse dies; in any case, it is safe to say the MS70 Grade-thrus will NOT be like the higher MS70 results we are seeing for regular 2008 W or 2008 (No marks)
  • 70's-41/660=.06 (1/17) 69's- 321/3584=.09 (1/11)

Are those First Strike #'s?

• << <i>phillymatt, Would you post your order# so I know if mine are close? >>

SUMORADA, Sorry I'd like to help you out but my question was answered above and I'm not bothering to order. I'm small time, if Jordon couldn't get any on a 100 plus order, I really doubt my four will get a hit.

Maybe I'll find one at a local shop here in Philly if I'm lucky and the dealers have gone through them all.
    Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. - General George S. Patton
  • I think the mint is obviously onto another one of their mistakes and have made things right. You might get lucky if some are still sitting from the original batch.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    "One reason the US Mint changed the Die Hubb for both the obverse and reverse for the ASE was because of the poor metal flow results"

It took them 22 years to figure that out?
  • Jeez, that's pretty quick for them......
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    yeah, I should have added a winky...

was (almost) kidding

!!!
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I just got 9 boxes of 10 from the mint. Ordered on the 25th, delivered today. I got 85 Rev 07's and 5 Rev of 08's.!!!!!!! I will be taking the Wife out to dinner tonight.
    You are better off just buying a ungraged coin before the prices get much higher
    Are those First Strike #'s?

Those are the latest "Rachel Ratios."

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As requested PCGS Pop #s for Regular 2008w w/ '08 Reverse

MS69 - 3584
    MS70 - 660

Best,
    Rachel
    rachel@firstcoinsource.com image >>

Looks like so far the ratios are not equal. Of course the numbers are probably too low to really tell if PCGS is grading more strictly or that the coins 08/07 coins are in poorer quality. I got 15.5% 70's on the 08/08 and 11.3% 70 on the 08/07's. Maybe within a margin of error anyway.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    I got 85 Rev 07's and 5 Rev of 08's.!!!!!!! I will be taking the Wife out to dinner tonight.

Really,save dinner until later.Get busy and start listing some of those on ebay.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file