Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    5 of these guys just sold RAW on ebay for over $300 each.

I guess everyone's hoping to send them in and get a 70.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • That might encourage some crack outs for those 68s and 69s! Doesn't make much sense to me.

I wonder if the Mint is still shipping any of these or if they are all gone.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>I recommended a woman at work buy 50 SAE Ws from the mint. She bought quite a few and checked some for the 07 reverse. All 7 that she checked had the reverse but she got "tired hands" from pulling the coins out of the boxes so she stopped checking! >>

I would atleast ask for 1 as a "finders fee" if you will...Or at least let you buy a few at face...image
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    hrlaser..... I am the owner of ModernCoinMart. Sorry about your experience, the phones rang non stop for two days after we sent out that e-blast.
    If you PM me, I will make sure you get a call tomorrow and our best price on whatever you are interested in purchasing. If you research our reputation,
    you will see we do things the right way and your experience was not the norm. Our phones do often get jammed and if this ever happens again
    anyone on here is welcome to call me personally at EXT 300., thanks.
    John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• If the mint was half way smart, they would have pulled some of the reverse of 2007 ASE aside for inclusion in the 2008 Annual Dollar Set for later release. That would spice things up a little.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    hrlaser

For what its worth, The folks at Modern Coin Mart are top notch, John Maben is the best in my book..............things happen,people get busy....its a good thing, its all good!

<< <i>hrlaser..... I am the owner of ModernCoinMart. Sorry about your experience, the phones rang non stop for two days after we sent out that e-blast.

<< <i>If you PM me, I will make sure you get a call tomorrow and our best price on whatever you are interested in purchasing. If you research our reputation, >>

<< <i>you will see we do things the right way and your experience was not the norm. Our phones do often get jammed and if this ever happens again >>

<< <i>anyone on here is welcome to call me personally at EXT 300., thanks. >>

Class act in my book....image

you earned my business in the future......image
  • got my stuff from MCM; niiice;

I sure like those little baggies;

what size are they and where can some be ordered?

tia
  • KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    I had some raw, sealed and dated ones on Ebay, which made them eligible for PCGS First Strike--and even at a BIN of $300 or Best Offer --I was getting $150 offers--even with other raw ones going for north of $300. I just changed my sale to $500 and no BO, just so none will hopefully sell and I can submit them myself. I will never understand the buyers thinking--Ill buy 1 at $325 and pay shipping, and ignore the one thats sealed for $300 or BO with free shipping.... amazin
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>hrlaser..... I am the owner of ModernCoinMart. Sorry about your experience, the phones rang non stop for two days after we sent out that e-blast.
    If you PM me, I will make sure you get a call tomorrow and our best price on whatever you are interested in purchasing. If you research our reputation,
    you will see we do things the right way and your experience was not the norm. Our phones do often get jammed and if this ever happens again
    anyone on here is welcome to call me personally at EXT 300., thanks.
    John >>

okay, thanks, John.. i understand that at times, when you have an extremely hot product and blast out an ad to x-thousand people, and its price is all over the map, literally changing hour by hour.. things can get crazy.. although calling a company over and over and getting busy signals for hours (ala the Mint, the day the Bald Eagle coins went on sale and they took their Web site down simultaneously.. brilliant timing there.. ) is one thing.. not getting a call back from three different voice mails to three different guys after four days (as i type this, no one from your company has ever called me back, so i guess my messages went off to Jupiter..).. is another.. but as far as the 2008 Reverse of 2007, my needs have been filled through a private transaction as of today's mail delivery.. so there is no need for a callback any more.. unless you're selling NGC MS69 Early Releases for $140.00 which i'm gonna hazard a guess you're not image .. apology accepted.. no hard feelings..

Thanks
    Harv

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>I had some raw, sealed and dated ones on Ebay, which made them eligible for PCGS First Strike--and even at a BIN of $300 or Best Offer --I was getting $150 offers--even with other raw ones going for north of $300. I just changed my sale to $500 and no BO, just so none will hopefully sell and I can submit them myself. I will never understand the buyers thinking--Ill buy 1 at $325 and pay shipping, and ignore the one thats sealed for $300 or BO with free shipping.... amazin >>

I've never dealt with this before, but how sealed do they have to be and how do you check the reverses, to still be First Strike Eligible?
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
    JSF-- drop me an email at john@moderncoinmart.com and I will find out who the supplier is for the bags and pass it on to you.
    If you only need a few, next time you order tell the salesperson I told them to throw in a pack (I think they are either 50 or 100 to a pack)
    at no charge.

John

PS- We are not out of 69's on these, but waiting for more to come back from NGC and don't want to sell anymore until they
    arrive at which time we will re-assess the price. Thanks.

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Modern Coin Mart.. hmm.. why does that name sound familiar?.. could it be because they pushed an email ad for these out via Numismatic News last Thursday, 24 April, 2008.. which said "prices are volatile.. call for prices".. so i called.. three times.. hours apart.. and got voice mail.. three times.. and left three messages.. with three different guys.. even dialing "extension 0" got me voice mail.. and four days later, not one of the three different guys i left voice mail for called back.. yeah, they're gonna get a lot of my future business.. uhh.. NOT..

just my opinion.. i could be wrong..

{{raise shields Mr. Sulu}}.. >>

i have nothing but thumbs up from these guys
    gainsville is doing the same thing, but MCM had prices on their site when i bought (again) from them earlier today, when gainsville had "call for prices"
    Harv--

I will sell you a few 69's (2 or 3) at $140 per if you call and ask for me simply because I am not happy with your
    experience, and I intend to talk to my salespeople tomorrow about it.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    To get FS labels, you need to have the coins sealed and postmarked by the cutoff date. You can screen your coins, take out the mint packaging, and mail them to yourself, as long as you doi it before or on the cutoff date. Not everyone can either afford to grade coins on PCGS's schedule or ship on their schedule, lets say you were out of town. When ready, you take the sealed package and send it to PCGS inside a different package--just make it known you qualify for FS, you are asking for it. Not a big deal. many people think it has to be a mint sealed shipped item, but that is not the case--PCGS clearly states that the coins must have been shipped from the mint in the first 30 days. If you have a sealed, postmarked envelope, its obvious that the coins came from the mint in the first 30 days--even if you wait a month or so to send them in.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raws are ranging from $305 to $355 tonight!

Ren
  • FYI... You might want to jump on these... (Not mine) $210 raw each...

$210 BIN
    Completed BS&T Deals

<< <i>Harv--

I will sell you a few 69's (2 or 3) at $140 per if you call and ask for me simply because I am not happy with your

John >>

John, thanks.. let me ponder.. rent day is this week.. blah blah etc. etc.. if Mr. Wallet says i can hack it, you'll hear from me probably tomorrow or Wednesday.. i appreciate it.. to the crowd - i have no axes to grind with MCM.. i'm not a dealer.. i'm not their competition.. i have never bought anything from them.. just one very frustrating experience last week as explained above..

we'd turn to dust waiting for Mr. Moy, Grand Wazoo of the Mint, to come on here and apologize for *anything*..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • <<Harv--

John >>

Kudos to you. Harv may no longer be interested but you've impressed me.
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.

<< <i><<Harv--

John >>

Kudos to you. Harv may no longer be interested but you've impressed me. >>

i have bought four figures b4 and returned four figures (once) and all with a very professional-we-want-to-make-it-right attitude.
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hi, John,

Um, any chance I could get a couple of the unwanted $140s?

Hehe...I'm a newbie, so I thought I could ask and not be too trashed...but trash away! I deserve it...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!

<< <i>Um, any chance I could get a couple of the unwanted $140s >>

A Closed mouth never gets fed.......image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First PCGS MS70 I've seen.

A day left, 1k plus?

PCGSMS70
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

• << <i>First PCGS MS70 I've seen.

A day left, 1k plus?

PCGSMS70 >>

Cha-ching!
    Completed BS&T Deals

• LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭

<< <i>First PCGS MS70 I've seen.

A day left, 1k plus?

PCGSMS70 >>

Hmmm interesting that the reverse of the coin is on the label side. Don't know if I would like it but it is appropriate. Too bad his title is messed up as it lends to confusion (which may or may not skew overall price).
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Heck I just wish I could get NGC to grade label mine with a "Discovery" des.

I understand that PCGS does not give this designation at all, do they?

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>Hi, John,

Um, any chance I could get a couple of the unwanted $140s?

Hehe...I'm a newbie, so I thought I could ask and not be too trashed...but trash away! I deserve it... >>

they're not "unwanted".. i'm calling him tomorrow.. John.. see the PM i sent you please..

Harv
  • There goes my Tax Rebate Check! Glad i have a few kids!
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

<< <i>Harv--

John >>

John, thanks.. let me ponder.. rent day is this week.. blah blah etc. etc.. if Mr. Wallet says i can hack it, you'll hear from me probably tomorrow or Wednesday.. i appreciate it.. to the crowd - i have no axes to grind with MCM.. i'm not a dealer.. i'm not their competition.. i have never bought anything from them.. just one very frustrating experience last week as explained above..

we'd turn to dust waiting for Mr. Moy, Grand Wazoo of the Mint, to come on here and apologize for *anything*.. >>

Hi Harv! Long time no talk to...glad to see you're still around. image

John
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Too bad his title is messed up as it lends to confusion (which may or may not skew overall price).>>

I thought the same thing, why have ms69 in the title, when your offering a MS70?

May go cheap, doubt it, will watch it.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>
    Hi Harv! Long time no talk to...glad to see you're still around. image

John >>

Hi other John.. i sitll have those two Franklins i bought off you 20982039023981 years ago if you remember.. i am here on and off.. and over there on and off.. seems like a lot of people from over there have migrated to over here due to all the spam and noise over there.. if you know what i mean..

Thanks
    Harv
  • I wonder how many the mint removed from circulation....The total minted maybe 45000 or so but how many were actually released???
    if anybody knows they ain't tellin'

just wait for the new ebay sellers from Memphis selling lots of fifty of these.....out of Washington dollar boxes and you will know who got their hands on 'em
  • ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Cert Verification #: 11527244 to 11527343 all look like Variety: Silver Eagle, Rev of '07 First Strike
    So did some get 99 of them all first strike?
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first order was placed on 17 March for two, both reverse of 08.
    I placed a second order on 21 April for two, received today both reverse of 07.
    Needless to say that I am happy like a pig in shiet...
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I wonder if the more recent orders are the older minted coins, once they have gone through the newere rev of 08 coins. If you have a production line the first of the presses will be the farthest back on the shelf, the newest ones will be at the front of the shelf. So if you have left over dies you would use the first, the 07 would be the older minted coins and be at the back of the shelf.

I put in orders for 200 on the 25th. 1 order for 100, 1 for 25 and a bunch for 10. The orders for QTY 10 all have the check box gone as of today but the order for 25 and for 100 are still on hold.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my second batch in today -- 12 ordered on 4/22. 0 for 12 -- nadda...

Expecting two more orders in the next few days, they were ordered 4/16 & 17.

What seems to be the MAGIC dates?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • I have a funny feeling that what's out right now is all there is going to be. The mint may have made 45, 000 of these things but, I'm certain they are probably holding them back now. I think many people are going to be barking up the wrong tree when they place new orders.....Just a feeling.

Adam
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The numbers for NGC are:
    68 69 70
    2008 W EAGLE S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 16374 2 8169 8203
    2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 88 46 42
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 2087 1218 869

Im actually very surprised by these numbers--If there are 45,000 out there, you know the big guys like MCM and Gainesville were the big buyers since they were also the first graded and the first sellers--so are there going to be twice as many in the future--only 5,000 coins graded? Or has the big flood already passed? These could be much more difficult to find in the future. >>

I think 45,000 is WAYYYYY to high.

NN says 200,000 have been sold. That would mean that 25% of all coins sent out were with the 2007 reverse. It's my opinion not enough people have gotten coins to justify 25%.

where is this 45,000 number coming from?.. can someone cite a reliable, verifiable source with a link?..
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    earlier reference in a different cu thread:

link

edit: this may be what hrlaser is looking for, ...hth
  • 140 auctions
    -69 43/140 30.7%
    -70 16/140 11.4
    Other 81/140 57.9

There are about 3 PCGS auctions of these up so far.

edit: At one point yesterday I did a count and got 440 bids made for 101 auctions.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>where is this 45,000 number coming from?.. can someone cite a reliable, verifiable source with a link?.. >>

I believe it was from a mint official as reported in NN which has already been mentioned if you read this whole thread.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My orders from 4/19 of 50 and 4/20 of 100 yielded ZERO, and it appeared as if most had already been removed and searched by the mint as there was distinctive pry marks in the edge of the boxes....I wonder if anyone will sell these as sealed, unsearched, Early Release Eligible (Boxes were dated shipped 4/24 which I believe is the cutoff from ATS. I considered it, but just had to look....image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the mint has gone through what they had remainig and removed all they could.
  • This guy must of got the lucky box

Link!!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy must of got the lucky box

Link! >>

That's a lot of coins. This could bring down the price of raws for a little while.

Ren
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy must of got the lucky box Link!! >>

These coins are his only numismatic items...He doesn't realize he's single handedly knocking the price down on these by competing so actively with himself. I mention this not for the sellers but for the buyers. I don't know what the future will bring for these coins but this guy will create a short term dip. --jerry
  • glut, the other four letter word.
  • 500 image

Edited to add 500 posts to the thread, I do NOT have 500 of these! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file