Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok...You CAN tell which reverse you have and not even pry out a coin. The packaging is completly different:

2008 Rev:- Box bigger/thinner, shiny finish, center seal impression spaced further from "American Eagle", looks more like Gold Buffalo box, 2007/2008 covers not interchangeable

2008 Barcode either horizontal or on side of package/2007 verticle and centered

Can anyone confirm this post??
    Can you really tell if you have a 2008 with the 2007 reverse simply by looking at the box??
    If this is true it will save a lot of sore fingers.

2007 coins much easier to remove from box >>

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok...You CAN tell which reverse you have and not even pry out a coin. The packaging is completly different:

2008 Rev:- Box bigger/thinner, shiny finish, center seal impression spaced further from "American Eagle", looks more like Gold Buffalo box, 2007/2008 covers not interchangeable

2008 Barcode either horizontal or on side of package/2007 verticle and centered

if this is fact, then i'd say variety 100% rather than error, which i called it yesaterday.

2007 coins much easier to remove from box >>

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is not rare? The '07 reverse on '08? If so, what are you basing that on? A few posters who said they got some?

Check the Rachel reports on PCGS populations given earlier in this thread. The population numbers are only going to go up on '07 reverse on '08. My prediction is that we will see these population numbers will go up at a staggering rate and well-establish the non-rarity of this issue.

Place an order and don't get any? That's not rarity. Place an order and get high percentage with the '07 reverse? News flash.That's not rarity either.

Obvious to me,it's about time for another "Rachel Ratio" calculation. >>

The populations will go up, BUT,

The amount on Ebay has been pretty static. If 47,000 are out there, why is there only a little over 100 auctions ??

I think the initial 'flood' was pretty minor. We'll have another 'flood' when the 'late' graders get there coins back.

But, if this is it, then we have a winner.

As for the boxes, mine don't look like that, so that is NOT an indicator.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My boxes are all labeled on the end. I looked at a few and found one that said Z7F instead of Z8F but had the same coin in it, rev or 08.--Jerry
  • Options
    mark511mark511 Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Should I open my box of ten that are first strike elgible? I The ship date was 4/08/2008.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Should I open my box of ten that are first strike elgible? I The ship date was 4/08/2008. >>

Myself, I had five boxes of five first strike eligible. All 2008 Reverse image

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I open my box of ten that are first strike elgible? I The ship date was 4/08/2008. >>

Seems a bit early for the sweet spot but not sure. Check earlier posts on this thread and see if anyone else reported on that date.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    I would not open a first strike eligible box. If you have no 2007 reverses, then you'll lose out on your original intent of FS. Get them graded, then it's a win/win situation for you.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It may not be win/win if you have a box of 69 reverse of 08
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Just got some more 08 W eagles today.

1 of 10 had the 07 reverse.

1 had a hair stuck between the coin and holder so I assume it was one that was returned and sent out again? Then again, maybe not as the box looked unmolested.

Just reporting in the results!
  • Options
    It's still a win / win, as if they are all 2008 reverses, they still qualify for the FS designation

Send them in and let them get their labels: 2008-W FS or 2008-W with 2007 reverse FS

To me, that's a win / win
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should sell the boxes and keep the coins?

"2008 W ASE box with 2007 Reverse bar code sans coin"

Renimage
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't be a image Sell these while you can. >>

Do you collect or only sell? Why would I want to dump a coin I need for my set?
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    Finally -- the two that I ordered on 4-19 and shipped on 4-24 just arrived.

I'm hoping that Murphy's Law will kick in as I purchased 2 of the NGC ER MS-69.

Drum roll ...............

REVERSE OF 2007

• Options

<< <i>Finally -- the two that I ordered on 4-19 and shipped on 4-24 just arrived.

Drum roll ............... >>

Well? It's been a whole minute and we are waiting! (tap tap tap).
  • Options
    They were packed in real tight.

They both have no tail.

No tampering on the backside of the holder.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Finally -- the two that I ordered on 4-19 and shipped on 4-24 just arrived.

Drum roll ............... >>

Well? It's been a whole minute and we are waiting! (tap tap tap). >>

Ya, come on you had an entire minute to open themimage

Stefanie
  • Options

<< <i>They were packed in real tight.

They both have no tail.

No tampering on the backside of the holder. >>

Yep, Murphy's Law is rock solid...Congrats!
  • Options
    YEP == I'm thrilled.

The single that came with the subscription was a 2008 reverse
    The two that I ordered on the 19th and shipped on the 24th are 2007 reverse.

I can finally uncross my fingers. The wait was killing me.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Woo Hoo thank you Modern Coin Mart! Just in and imaged. Ordered when they were still $119 plus shipping....

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    (2) 50 count boxes and (1) 25 count arrived today..........nada...zip.....kaput.....nogo.....zilch.....zeeeero......the big 0.......niet.......nothing.....its ok though

I scored 25 of the good ones a couple days ago.........life is good.....08/07 ASE.......smoothies........kingfishing....its all good folks..image
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>It may not be win/win if you have a box of 69 reverse of 08 >>

especially since the FS designation label is $10.00 extra.. per coin.. hey.. go all-out and pay $110.00 extra per coin for one-day turnaround plus FS labels..
    and then get back a pile of 69s.. whee!..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    This looked like the line for the mint.

PLEASE give us '07 reverse Eagles..........
    NOW !!!

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

What movie is that from? My Netflix queue needs that one in it!

Some time in the '30s?
  • Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This looked like the line for the mint.

PLEASE give us '07 reverse Eagles..........
    NOW !!!

image >>

I think those are the guys who didn't get any.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    What is the man in the front saying ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>

I think those are the guys who didn't get any. >>

that's what i say about the graders whenever i submit something and get back an MS69 or a PR69..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the man in the front saying ? >>

"Bust Half"

• Options
    Did any members received their orders todayUSMINT?
    If any one received did you get any 2008-W Reverse 2007 coins?
    If any one received today what is the order date USMINT?

If all the members post these information i think it will be helpful to all the members, as i saw some members are in doubt to order them From USMINT

Thanks to all the members
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks like a typical day on the coin forum.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the man in the front saying ? >>

"Bust Half" >>

Nope, it's "You Suck!"
  • Options
    << What is the man in the front saying ? >>

errrrr...I think it's "F*** Off
  • Options

<< <i>Did any members received their orders todayUSMINT?

If all the members post these information i think it will be helpful to all the members, as i saw some members are in doubt to order them From USMINT

Thanks to all the members >>

i didn't order any from the Mint.. i bought them already slabbed NGC MS69 "Early Release" at lowball prices (and not on eBay).. don't plan to buy any raw from the Mint.. i think at this point it's a total crapshoot expecting to get the error coins while the Mint is furiously ripping open boxes looking for them.. so they don't ship any more.. if all the anecdotal evidence here is true.. unless they have some sneaky plan up their sleeve to do something like offer a "two-coin 2008-W Variety set" for $500.00.. and given the kinds of games they've played in the past few years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.. {{shiver}}..
  • Options
    OK..My big 2007/2008 box discovery is bogus....I just got 3 rev. 2007's in the "new" slim box. Oh well back to prying the suckers out of the boxesimage
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i got 12 out of 12 07 reverse on 04/29 that were ordered on 04/23 image

edited to add: do you think i got the very last ones? image there has to be a few more to be had image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    the amount of auctions for these is very low

just think of when the washington smoothies hit the market, about 100,000 coins extant,wasnt there around 800+ auctions at the height?
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i><< What is the man in the front saying ? >>

errrrr...I think it's "F*** Off >>

Exactly what I thought too. The guy next to him is close. Same first word, but "off" is "my a**". Guess he's a bottom.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did any members received their orders todayUSMINT?

Thanks to all the members >>

i didn't order any from the Mint.. i bought them already slabbed NGC MS69 "Early Release" at lowball prices (and not on eBay).. don't plan to buy any raw from the Mint.. i think at this point it's a total crapshoot expecting to get the error coins while the Mint is furiously ripping open boxes looking for them.. so they don't ship any more.. if all the anecdotal evidence here is true.. unless they have some sneaky plan up their sleeve to do something like offer a "two-coin 2008-W Variety set" for $500.00.. and given the kinds of games they've played in the past few years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.. {{shiver}}.. >>

Not to be a wiseass, but why do so many here care about what the Mint does or the games they play. I didn't know that they were accountable to the collector/speculator/flipper.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been noted earlier, but it seems that the smaller orders (5 & 10s) are getting a larger percentage of '07 rev.
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure if it's been noted earlier, but it seems that the smaller orders (5 & 10s) are getting a larger percentage of '07 rev. >>

It is the mints new policy of helping the little guy.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Not to be a wiseass, but why do so many here care about what the Mint does or the games they play. I didn't know that they were accountable to the collector/speculator/flipper. >>

that reminds me of an old Dragnet where Joe Friday is in a battle of wits with some jerk suspected of some crime and the guy says to him "Listen, cop, I pay your salary!".. and Friday says "and now i'm gonna earn it.. get up against the wall and spread'em!"..

of course they're accountable.. the Mint is the gubmint.. WE own the Mint.. they work for US.. our tax DollErs pay their salaries.. their buildings, their pencil sharpeners, their toilet paper.. if you stop and think about it, every collector coin we buy from them we're paying for twice.. first time for the raw materials and machinery and labor to make it, second time when we buy the finished product.. so they damn well better be accountable to us.. corporations have to answer to their shareholders.. gubmint employees from the lowliest guy driving a street sweeper, to a city worker digging ditches.. to the Director of the Mint.. to whoever's living in the White House have to answer to us.. whether we collect or speculate or flip or all three (which i do, and i know you do too).. it's none of their business.. anyway.. i was just musing.. despite their marketing games, i honestly don't think they'd deliberatly offer an error coin as a limited Edition at an inflated price.. but at the same time i also wouldn't say it's 100% impossible..

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Not to be a wiseass, but why do so many here care about what the Mint does or the games they play. I didn't know that they were accountable to the collector/speculator/flipper. >>

that reminds me of an old Dragnet where Joe Friday is in a battle of wits with some jerk suspected of some crime and the guy says to him "Listen, cop, I pay your salary!".. and Friday says "and now i'm gonna earn it.. get up against the wall and spread'em!"..

of course they're accountable.. the Mint is the gubmint.. WE own the Mint.. they work for US.. our tax DollErs pay their salaries.. their buildings, their pencil sharpeners, their toilet paper.. if you stop and think about it, every collector coin we buy from them we're paying for twice.. first time for the raw materials and machinery and labor to make it, second time when we buy the finished product.. so they damn well better be accountable to us.. corporations have to answer to their shareholders.. gubmint employees from the lowliest guy driving a street sweeper, to a city worker digging ditches.. to the Director of the Mint.. to whoever's living in the White House have to answer to us.. whether we collect or speculate or flip or all three (which i do, and i know you do too).. it's none of their business.. anyway.. i was just musing.. despite their marketing games, i honestly don't think they'd deliberatly offer an error coin as a limited Edition at an inflated price.. but at the same time i also wouldn't say it's 100% impossible.. >>

You only pay the final price for the coin. Everything else that goes into it is merely being used to determine that final price.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< What is the man in the front saying ? >>

errrrr...I think it's "F*** Off >>

Exactly what I thought too. The guy next to him is close. Same first word, but "off" is "my a**". Guess he's a bottom. >>

And the guy in the middle is getting "it."

Renimage
  • Options
    Way to Rachel!
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of auctions to follow:
    Modern Coin Mart has some PCGS listed.
    I will probably grab a MS69

pcgs ms69's

pcgs ms70's

Rookie Joe
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    received my order of 2 today. 1 and 1. Shipped on 4/23.
  • Options
    have been reading i received 12 out of 25 on the 14th of april and 10 for 10with the date of 4/23 also have mint pamplat shows, not sure the name but it is the large mold they use to reduce down large hub has old u and the reverse of the eagle 08 shows u with a tail little odd shows both varities of ASE. good day
  • Options
    looks like he is saying fall off

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file