Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

What Lee said!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Give a link to your auction and you will get some feedback. Some of it may even be constructive! More eyes on an auction can't hurt!!! >>

OK, try this...

Linky

thanks! >>

suggestions: add clear photos of exactly the coin and packaging in the auction, not a generic drawing.. and crop crop crop!.. don't shoot a photo that makes it look like a pea sitting on a sofa a mile away.. accept additional forms of payment - although somewhere between 80% and 90% of bidders won't bid unless PayPal is offered (which it is).. some people don't or won't use PayPal ever.. so.. also accept USPS Money orders, Bank Cashiers checks and money orders (i usually say "no supermarket Money orders" but that's just me).. and if you dare, personal checks (with appropriate wording that shipment will ship x days after the check clears.. me, i don't accept personal checks unless i know the winning bidder..)..

state a return policy somewhere.. either offer one, or say "No Returns" but do one or the other..

and unlike another poster, i DO think this coin is an error.. the wrong dies were shoved in the presses by mistake.. at least one ASSumes they were used by mistake.. others consider it a Variety.. others think it's both..

just some suggestions from someone who's been buying and selling on eBay for ten years, is a Power Seller (yeah yeah whoop-tee-friggin'-doo).. has (1402) Positives (i SHOULD have over 2000, but over time you'll learn fully one-third of eBay buyers never leave feedback no matter what you do.. i never beg for it.. they leave me a positive, i leave them one..) .. and never had a negative.. but what do i know
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    All,
    Thanks for your excellent advice. I will work on figuring out how to apply insurance and return policy details to the listings. My camera sucks though so I may need to get a better one if I am to do this more seriously.

Thanks again!
    Edited to add: I will make a document to refer to this info in future listings. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>if i was going to buy the label, not the coin. i would buy ngc early release. that means i have a coin that was released within 30 days from the mint.
    first strike label should mean you have a coin made from the first die, not within 30 days. >>

Get Real! First off "first strike label should mean you have a coin made from the first die, not within 30 days." means that only 1 coin would ever qualify.

NGC was sued so decided to stop using the First Strike label and instead defaulted to Early Release which is technically correct.

PCGS has not been sued but clearly states on the slab "Delivered Within First 30 Days of Initial Release" along with the web link which states:

<< <i>Here's how PCGS identifies the coins submitted for First Strike® designation.
    Beginning in 2005, PCGS began designating coins packaged and delivered by the U.S. Mint in the 30 day period following the initial sales date of a new product as First Strike®. For instance, new American Silver Eagles typically go on sale each January 1st, thus any coin packaged or delivered and submitted to PCGS for certification between January 1 and January 31 qualifies for the First Strike® designation.

The First Strike® designation is a proprietary trademark of PCGS.
    According to the United States Mint, the Mint has not designated any coins as "first strike," nor does the Mint track the order in which coins are manufactured during their production. The United States Mint states that they exercise strict quality controls to assure that coins of high caliber are produced from each die set throughout its useful life. The Mint states that their manufacturing facilities use a die set as long as the quality of resulting coins meets United States Mint standards, and then replace the dies, continually changing sets throughout the production process. Coins which meet the criteria of PCGS First Strike® will be designated as a First Strike® regardless of when those coins were minted. >>

>>

it's how many coins from the first die should be first strike only, i know how pcgs states it. that's why i don't buy the label. thanks for the info.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it appeared you were getting nit picky and the reality is that the only coin that could ever merit a "First Strike" designation would be the very first coin off of never before used obverse and reverse dies if the phrase were taken at face value.

The phrase itself has rarely ever been used in that context as far as coin collecting/production has been concerned. Its just a phrase. a bit misused in this case, but I doubt that it was ever PCGS's intent to mislead when the program was dreamed up. They were simply trying to add a bit of spice to the collecting a slabbing of the bullion coinage and make a copuple of bucks at the same time.

I don't have a problem with it and there are certainly others that do not as well. I actually find it a bit challenging trying to locate First Strike slabs that are prior to the 2005 inception of the program.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>A bit OT, but I just put in my first ebay listing selling a 08/07 reverse eagle.

The wringing of hands ... the gnashing of teeth ... I hope I am doing everything right.

Do most board members sell on Ebay?
    If so, any advice for a newb seller selling these reverse of 07s as a first try?

Thanks! >>

Welcome from Mt. Clemens and Grosse Pointe my 2 daily hangouts, Best of Luck with your listings...image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I ordered 3 when I read this thread on 4/25, I just received them and got 3 for 3 07/08!! Raw on eBay are going for just south of $200 still. Should I hold or sell???imageimage >>

keep them you are so far north of $25 it ain't even funny....lol (plus the $4.25 to ship)
  • Options

<< <i>Well it appeared you were getting nit picky and the reality is that the only coin that could ever merit a "First Strike" designation would be the very first coin off of never before used obverse and reverse dies if the phrase were taken at face value.

The phrase itself has rarely ever been used in that context as far as coin collecting/production has been concerned. Its just a phrase. a bit misused in this case, but I doubt that it was ever PCGS's intent to mislead when the program was dreamed up. They were simply trying to add a bit of spice to the collecting a slabbing of the bullion coinage and make a copuple of bucks at the same time.

I don't have a problem with it and there are certainly others that do not as well. I actually find it a bit challenging trying to locate First Strike slabs that are prior to the 2005 inception of the program. >>

i don't think it was pcgs intent to mislead, just alittle to strong of words to use on a label for coins just released within 30 days
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I ordered 3 when I read this thread on 4/25, I just received them and got 3 for 3 07/08!! Raw on eBay are going for just south of $200 still. Should I hold or sell???imageimage >>

keep them you are so far north of $25 it ain't even funny....lol (plus the $4.25 to ship) >>

The only reason to sell these now in my opinion is if you had a strong need for the money. It is waaaay too early to see where these will end up price wise and for 3 coins at $80 layout it is foolish to sell now.

Joe

Nice score and good luck with them.
  • Options
    okay, i just ordered a couple.. thousand.. {{kidding}}.. a couple.. expected ship date is Wednesday next.. by three-legged burro.. if i get the 08/07s.. i'll let yawl know.. see if i can turn about sixty bucks into about six hundred.. if i get the 08/08s.. well, then i have a couple of submissions after i pray to the gods of 70s.. or i have a couple gifts for friends.. but i won't return them..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>okay, i just ordered a couple.. thousand.. {{kidding}}.. a couple.. expected ship date is Wednesday next.. by three-legged burro.. if i get the 08/07s.. i'll let yawl know.. see if i can turn about sixty bucks into about six hundred.. if i get the 08/08s.. well, then i have a couple of submissions after i pray to the gods of 70s.. or i have a couple gifts for friends.. but i won't return them.. >>

How do you know expected ship date?
  • Options

<< <i>
    How do you know expected ship date? >>

the confirmation email says:
    1. 2008 AE SILVER UNC MM 1 OZ (Z8F)
    Qty 2 @ $25.95 - Backordered 05/07/08.

i Tracked the order number and Mint's Track yer order page says "expected to ship 05/07/08"..
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I've been busy travelling and just yesterday I read the articles in the May 5th and 12th issues of CW. So I checked the 5 that I orderd on 3/21 (shipped 4/9) and got 5 of 5
    of the 08/07s. Fer sure these cannot be rare if I got 5/5 image. I never score when the mint screws up so the real rarity will be the 08/08s. image In fact like several posters
    here I have to place another order in hopes of "scoring" an 08/08 just to keep my collection up to date! image

imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Dieclash, I'll trade you for one of my 08/08's image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it me, or do there seem to be far more of these 08/07 Eagles coming down the pike? I got 5 out of 12 and it seems like almost everybody here is getting at least a couple, some going 5 for 5, etc., that it seems like maybe the Mint struck more of these than presently assumed? Is that even a possibility? Just seems way too common for such a scarce issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

47,000 is not a tiny number. Hopefully, small enough however......
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    It's not you. It does seem that alot more are being reported.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it me, or do there seem to be far more of these 08/07 Eagles coming down the pike? I got 5 out of 12 and it seems like almost everybody here is getting at least a couple, some going 5 for 5, etc., that it seems like maybe the Mint struck more of these than presently assumed? Is that even a possibility? Just seems way too common for such a scarce issue. >>

I think that a majority of the board members here simply order these things as we usually get the word way before the general public. Thats all.
    I'd go thorugh and add up all the numbers but 12, here an 1 there and 5 here, gets boring real quick plus I'm too lazy!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, let's see. Some seemingly irrelevant history comes to mind...

Not long ago, a cargo ship in the bay area hit one of the supports of the bay bridge. It ripped open the side of the ship. Fortunately, no major damage was done.

The initial reports from the government...Coast Guard in this case...maintained for quite a while that only 140 gallons of fuel spilled into the bay. This was based on inaccurate information.

Eventually, in the face of more evidence and under pressure from the public, they admitted that the amount was closer to 57,000 gallons.

Why do I mention this? Because I believe that anything coming out of the government is suspect...not because I am a conspiracy theorist, but because I believe that many of these folks are lazy, on the public dole and doing sloppy work (or covering their a$$, which I can relate to). Wow, I hope I didn't offend too many public servants out there, because there are alot of them. But I do believe that the private sector works harder, so there.

Only time will tell. The grading companies will get a good look at the real numbers but that will take time...perhaps a year.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it me, or do there seem to be far more of these 08/07 Eagles coming down the pike? I got 5 out of 12 and it seems like almost everybody here is getting at least a couple, some going 5 for 5, etc., that it seems like maybe the Mint struck more of these than presently assumed? Is that even a possibility? Just seems way too common for such a scarce issue. >>

I think that a majority of the board members here simply order these things as we usually get the word way before the general public. Thats all.
    I'd go thorugh and add up all the numbers but 12, here an 1 there and 5 here, gets boring real quick plus I'm too lazy! >>

Also put the number in perspective. 47,000. Remember how long it took to sell out the Abigal Adams coins? Mintage ~30K, now that was with everyone and their mother ordering 10. With SAE's sure there were big dealer ordering hundreds bu most litle orders were for a couple. It would take some time to get them out the door. What you are also seeing is the shipments that took the slow boat finally arriving.
  • Options
    Also put the number in perspective. 47,000. Remember how long it took to sell out the Abigal Adams coins? Mintage ~30K, now that was with everyone and their mother ordering 10. With SAE's sure there were big dealer ordering hundreds bu most litle orders were for a couple. It would take some time to get them out the door. What you are also seeing is the shipments that took the slow boat finally arriving.

But do all these factors make this 08/07 Eagle truly scarce? The Adams coins, for instance, with a much lower mintage are going for nowhere near the profit margin that these Eagles are. Now that the cat is out of the bag, will the value of these 08/07 Eagles appreciate or decline? I have another order coming in from the Mint and am wondering if I find a few more 08/07 Eagles if the wiser bet is to hold on to them, or if this frenzy is along the lines of the First Day Covers years back before everyone realized that they weren't as scarce as perceived (even though the Mint released a few more of the sold out issues, the mintage was still limited to the original number).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree that more and more seem to be coming forth. My good fortune of 24/40 total is telling over 2 weeks. There are indications that orders placed as late as 4/27 are still getting positive hits. A few, but not many have posted results of post-4/26 orders. Are there lots more yet on the shelves? I've heard YES and NO...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>.

But do all these factors make this 08/07 Eagle truly scarce? The Adams coins, for instance, with a much lower mintage are going for nowhere near the profit margin that these Eagles are. Now that the cat is out of the bag, will the value of these 08/07 Eagles appreciate or decline? I have another order coming in from the Mint and am wondering if I find a few more 08/07 Eagles if the wiser bet is to hold on to them, or if this frenzy is along the lines of the First Day Covers years back before everyone realized that they weren't as scarce as perceived (even though the Mint released a few more of the sold out issues, the mintage was still limited to the original number). >>

SAE's are very popular, I can not foresee these ever not commanding a premium. I honestly think that they will be $1K coins soon. Once his info gets disbursed the supply will dry up. The market can easily absorb 50K units. Then what? When you want to buy that 47,001 coin? Prices will increase. I have 85 of them so I understand the big question, sell or hold, right now I am holding. I have a few more hundred on order, I hope they are still shipping. I put in orders for 100 more today. Things changed, now I am getting the "backorder" I have not seen that yet. I think the mint ran out of supply and has to make more. This may be the party being over.

I ordered 90 on the 25th and rcvd 85 rev. 07's These were all obxes of 10. My box of 25 - nothing - box of 100 nothing.

BTW - What was the mintage on the 2001 Buffalo Silver $. Those are still over $250 for the proof and $150 for the Unc.

• Options
    Very interesting info...I have two pending orders and will be curious to see if I get any more 07 reverses. I've sold two of my five at $200+ so far, but I thinkI'll hold on to the other three and any additional ones that come with the orders I'm receiving. Will be very interesting to see if the later orders over the last few days include any, right now, ordering these from the Mint seems almost like a license to print money, LOL!

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dieclash, I'll trade you for one of my 08/08's image >>

Depending on how all this shakes out evsite, I may have to take you up on your offer! imageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like everyone was in such a big toot to get the 3 piece 20th anniv ASE sets and now they languish on the BS&T board for weeks waiting for a buyer. 20 ttts's is not the sign of a hot item IMO.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359

<< <i>Just like everyone was in such a big toot to get the 3 piece 20th anniv ASE sets and now they languish on the BS&T board for weeks waiting for a buyer. 20 ttts's is not the sign of a hot item IMO. >>

I hate to say it but with the hype and the high prices, these may plummet fast...much faster than the 20th anniv sets...much like silver hitting 30-50 an ounce hype, it wont last.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that the number of folks who seriously collect these things is grossly overstated. If there were 250,000 set collectors then its fair to say that probably each collector would want one and have one and in theory there should be none available. I'd guess a lot more of them are owned by hoarders and flippers than are owned by collectors. We'll see if estimated quantities minted and prices realized hold up over time.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Just like everyone was in such a big toot to get the 3 piece 20th anniv ASE sets and now they languish on the BS&T board for weeks waiting for a buyer. 20 ttts's is not the sign of a hot item IMO. >>

The Anniversary set's were not going for six or eight times the asking price

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    169 auctions
    -69 58 34.3%
    -70 29 17.2
    Other 82 48.5
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    guys

just look to the rarest and next rarest silver eagle coins for price guidance on these. keep in mind the probable collector demand on any unc eagle of at least 500,000 coins.

1995-W mintage 30,125, price in the first year after issue around $250. raw. Slowly moved to the $1000 price in the next few years, now a several thousand dollar coin.

2006-W unc, mintage approx 480,000. Starts in the 60-80 dollar range and moves quickly over 100. settles back to 80-100 range where it is today.

2008-W Reverse of 2007, mintage estimated at 47,000 from anywhere between 3-15 dies, one shift of work (USM reported). Even at the high estimate of 47,000, this coin is 10 times as rare as the 2006-W unc and very close to the mintage of the 1995-W. Time will tell if the mintage is even less than the 1995-W which is a real possibility.

This coin is EASILY worth 200+ raw, and I believe will mature to a 500 dollar coin in very short order. After that, we must wait for the scarcity, popularity and promotion to take hold and drive the price even higher.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>guys

just look to the rarest and next rarest silver eagle coins for price guidance on these. keep in mind the probable collector demand on any unc eagle of at least 500,000 coins.

1995-W mintage 30,125, price in the first year after issue around $250. raw. Slowly moved to the $1000 price in the next few years, now a several thousand dollar coin.

2006-W unc, mintage approx 480,000. Starts in the 60-80 dollar range and moves quickly over 100. settles back to 80-100 range where it is today.

2008-W Reverse of 2007, mintage estimated at 47,000 from anywhere between 3-15 dies, one shift of work (USM reported). Even at the high estimate of 47,000, this coin is 10 times as rare as the 2006-W unc and very close to the mintage of the 1995-W. Time will tell if the mintage is even less than the 1995-W which is a real possibility.

This coin is EASILY worth 200+ raw, and I believe will mature to a 500 dollar coin in very short order. After that, we must wait for the scarcity, popularity and promotion to take hold and drive the price even higher. >>

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Anybody else see the"shopNBC.com" television shopping network this morning? They were selling NGC Early Release MS70 2008 ASE with '07 reverse for $599. It was on at about 1:30am Central but I didn't catch how many they had to sell. I checked the website today and they have NGC Early Stike MS69's too! Guess someone needs to add those to the totals minted. Really makes me wonder just how many there are to have them being sold on television!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw it as well...They said they had "hundreds" to sell and that they, and all the dealers, went about hoarding them when they heard about them, but now they are selling as well.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Also put the number in perspective. 47,000. Remember how long it took to sell out the Abigal Adams coins? Mintage ~30K, now that was with everyone and their mother ordering 10. With SAE's sure there were big dealer ordering hundreds bu most litle orders were for a couple. It would take some time to get them out the door. What you are also seeing is the shipments that took the slow boat finally arriving.

But do all these factors make this 08/07 Eagle truly scarce? The Adams coins, for instance, with a much lower mintage are going for nowhere near the profit margin that these Eagles are. Now that the cat is out of the bag, will the value of these 08/07 Eagles appreciate or decline? I have another order coming in from the Mint and am wondering if I find a few more 08/07 Eagles if the wiser bet is to hold on to them, or if this frenzy is along the lines of the First Day Covers years back before everyone realized that they weren't as scarce as perceived (even though the Mint released a few more of the sold out issues, the mintage was still limited to the original number). >>

i think you're mixing apples and oranges.. first, the First Spouse coins are Gold.. secondly, they're expensive.. who buys ten or a hundred of (each) of them except people with five or six grand, or ten times that.. to blow or dealers?.. thirdly, there have been no errors reported on any of them.. fourthly, 20,000 Uncs. and 20,000 Proofs of each one isn't far off from the alleged 47,000 of these.. fifthly, these coins are twenty-five bucks a pop.. affordable by most anyone.. for the cost of ONE First Spouse you could buy two dozen of these..

lastly.. the Mint told CW that they accidentally made 47,000 of these 08/07s.. we don't know how many got out.. the actual number that got out could be much much smaller.
    (i hope)..
  • Options

<< <i>
    BTW - What was the mintage on the 2001 Buffalo Silver $. Those are still over $250 for the proof and $150 for the Unc. >>

500,000 2001 Buffalo DollErs were Minted.. combined across all options - single Unc, single Proof, set of both, and the Coin and Currency set (50,000 only of those).. which contained an Unc..

by the way, check dealer prices.. if you can find any dealers selling the Unc. or the C&C set for $150.00, let me know..
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    BTW - What was the mintage on the 2001 Buffalo Silver $. Those are still over $250 for the proof and $150 for the Unc. >>

500,000 2001 Buffalo DollErs were Minted.. combined across all options - single Unc, single Proof, set of both, and the Coin and Currency set (50,000 only of those).. which contained an Unc..

by the way, check dealer prices.. if you can find any dealers selling the Unc. or the C&C set for $150.00, let me know.. >>

Apples to oranges, as you said....you can't compare an error variety of 47000 (or so we are told) of a coin with likely mintages of half a million or so, by EOY, to a different type of coin that likely appeals to a different type of collector (SAE are modern, buffalo is a different beast image ).

I hope that those who want these, get them, and that as few people as possible get burned. It's one thing for a dealer type to buy a ton and get stuck with them if the prices drop (I am ok with that)...I just hope no collectors try to play the game and get burned.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

Have a good one!!! >>

i beg to differ.. i had four of the 20nd Anniversary ASE sets.. i sold two to a friend shortly after i got them for $250.00 each.. dumb move.. (he won't sell them back to me.. c'est la vie).. i put one on eBay sealed in its Mint shipping carton and got $700.00 for it.. i sold my fourth and final one, opened, for $450.00.. then i missed the Reverse Proof so i bought a slabbed 69 just to have one..

oh.. already have a good one.. looking for a longer one.. image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Yes, 5 here, 12 there. Pretty soon you might have a thousand or so. Any one want to dump their non-scarce 08/07 ASE on me for double mint price I will consider it. Seriously though, 45 thousand of these would take a little time to clear out when the orders are 5 or 10 at a time and when some are getting none at all.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    If there is an annual total ASE mintage of 600K, and they are equally distributed over a 12 month period of time the result is 50K distribution per month.
    If the 47K mintage is accurate for the 08/07 rev then there is enough supply that nearly every coin distributed over an AVERAGE month would be the 08/07 rev.
    Of course these are all just averages.

The closest comparable is the 95-W given the mintage numbers. But only time will tell if the market responds in the same way.

Predicting that someone is going to get rich or get burned based on mintage numbers is simply a WAG at this point. We each must position ourselves individually as we best see fit. I suggest we not listen to wild speculation one way or the other but rather listen to what the market tells us.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Have a good one!!! >>

i beg to differ.. i had four of the 20nd Anniversary ASE sets.. i sold two to a friend shortly after i got them for $250.00 each.. dumb move.. (he won't sell them back to me.. c'est la vie).. i put one on eBay sealed in its Mint shipping carton and got $700.00 for it.. i sold my fourth and final one, opened, for $450.00.. then i missed the Reverse Proof so i bought a slabbed 69 just to have one..

oh.. already have a good one.. looking for a longer one.. image >>

Do you think you could get 7 x your investment with a 2008-W ASE in a sealed box ? I am asking ?

Have a longer one while having a good one!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Do you think you could get 7 x your investment with a 2008-W ASE in a sealed box ? I am asking ?
    >>

sorry, but i think you're going to have to re-phrase that so i can understand exactly what you're asking..
    what was inside the 20nd Anniversary set (one set in a sealed shipping box).. was a known given..

what's inside any sealed 2008-W ASE box (assuming you ordered ONE and kept it in the sealed box) is not a known given.. it could be an 08/08 worth $25.95, or it could be an 08/07 worth.. well.. whatever they're worth these days.. $200 to $250 raw.. i think.. so selling a single one in a single box not knowing if it's the normal coin or the error coin inside would be a total crapshoot / gamble / risk for a buyer.. would YOU go $200 to $250 on it not knowing which one was inside?..

or if that's not what you were asking.. try re-wording it.. or else i'm in stupid mode..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

sorry, but i think you're going to have to re-phrase that so i can understand exactly what you're asking..
    what was inside the 20nd Anniversary set (one set in a sealed shipping box).. was a known given..

what's inside any sealed 2008-W ASE box (assuming you ordered ONE and kept it in the sealed box) is not a known given.. it could be an 08/08 worth $25.95, or it could be an 08/07 worth.. well.. whatever they're worth these days.. $200 to $250 raw.. i think.. so selling a single one in a single box not knowing if it's the normal coin or the error coin inside would be a total crapshoot / gamble / risk for a buyer.. would YOU go $200 to $250 on it not knowing which one was inside?..

or if that's not what you were asking.. try re-wording it.. or else i'm in stupid mode..
    image >>

Why would you pay $700.00 for a unopened set? First strike ? 70's ?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Why would you pay $700.00 for a unopened set? First strike ? 70's ? >>

the guy i sold the SEALED 20nd Anniversary ASE set to for $700.00 took a gamble.. this was at the height of buying frenzy on that set.. i was watching their price curve like a hawk and listed it at the peak.. i don't know if anyone else got $700.00 for a single sealed set.. perhaps.. perhaps not.. he later wrote back and said he had submitted them and said the Reverse Proof came back PR70, the other two were 69s.. i don't know if he got FS labels or not.. i asked him if he used NGC or PCGS or someone else.. but he never answered me.. i swear atop a stack of Red Books that all of this is 100% true..

• Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    At one point the sealed cases of 20th Anniversary silver were just commodities, I sold a case for over $8000 just before the cases began dropping. However, the fact remains that inside each set or case you were guaranteed a Reverse Proof, as well as correct anniversary labels for the other 2 coins if sent in unopened. In the case of sealed boxes of 2008 ASEs right now, you have no idea of the contents--You might find someone willing to take a risk, but for anything over $100 a coin, it would be better financially just to go the extra amount and buy a known variety coin than risk it and end up buying as ststed before-- a coin worth $26 from the mint--and worth even less because silver has dropped so much lately.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw it as well...They said they had "hundreds" to sell and that they, and all the dealers, went about hoarding them when they heard about them, but now they are selling as well..... >>

The Coin Shoppe is speculating the 2007 Reverse die was only used for 1-2 shifts instead of the 3 possible shifts the Mint claims. They said they had a handfull to offer. Starts at 8:00 into video.

Link
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw it as well...They said they had "hundreds" to sell and that they, and all the dealers, went about hoarding them when they heard about them, but now they are selling as well..... >>

The Coin Shoppe is speculating the 2007 Reverse die was only used for 1-2 shifts instead of the 3 possible shifts the Mint claims. They said they had a handfull to offer. Starts at 8:00 into video.

Link >>

Who are they and why should I believe them over the mint?
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link >>

Oh brotherimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link >>

Who are they and why should I believe them over the mint? >>

They are one of the largest bullion dealers for the Mint and were stating they have a limited quantity available. They are also claiming other dealers are trying to get as many as they can.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    900 image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file