Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is it dealers that are buying these raws up at around $200 a piece or has the public and general collector figured this out?

I think it's dealers and collector/speculators. I think the action on ebay, for example, is just "people in the know" at this point.

How many collectors have these sitting in their vaults or drawer and haven't even heard of this type coin.

It's just steady accumulation at this stage of the game.

my2c's

Ren
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onward... onward toward 1000. For this thread and the price of these silly coins.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict the number of posts on this thread will equal the number coins found.

I wish!image

Ren
  • Options
    Only 80 First Strike MS70's in todays pop report.-

Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw it as well...They said they had "hundreds" to sell and that they, and all the dealers, went about hoarding them when they heard about them, but now they are selling as well..... >>

The Coin Shoppe is speculating the 2007 Reverse die was only used for 1-2 shifts instead of the 3 possible shifts the Mint claims. They said they had a handfull to offer. Starts at 8:00 into video.

Link >>

watching it right now.. the two jokers doing the hawking are speculating "10,000 to 15,000 max IS possible, probably only made during the first of three shifts on the first day".. whoops, now he said "estimates of maybe 5,000 to maybe 40,000".. despite the 47,000 reported figure.. blah blah etc. etc."
    $600.00 for an 08/07 in NGC M70 Early Release..
    $300.00 in NGC MS69 Early Release..
    (plus tax, shipping, under-coating, pin-striping, and LoJak)..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options

<< <i>Only 80 First Strike MS70's in todays pop report.-
    >>

my guess is that the majority of those coins are from bulk submissions and small submissions where people put their coins through express. PCGS has been ridiculously slow lately, and I am pretty sure by next week, all those numbers will be close to doubled. In two weeks, they will definitely be more than doubled.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only 80 First Strike MS70's in todays pop report.-
    >>

my guess is that the majority of those coins are from bulk submissions and small submissions where people put their coins through express. PCGS has been ridiculously slow lately, and I am pretty sure by next week, all those numbers will be close to doubled. In two weeks, they will definitely be more than doubled. >>

Compared to the regular 08-W First StrikeSM population, that would be a drop in the bucket.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it accurate to compare the 08/07 uncirc's to the proof 95?
    I understand when you are trying to compare mintages but this is and error/ variety.

Since this type of thing has not happened to the Uncirclated ASE's ever wouldn't this coin
    be in its own category's?
    Even if it is 47,000 wouldn't it be quite a low mintage?

Stefanie
  • Options

<< <i>Is it accurate to compare the 08/07 uncirc's to the proof 95?
    I understand when you are trying to compare mintages but this is and error/ variety.

Since this type of thing has not happened to the Uncirclated ASE's ever wouldn't this coin

Stefanie >>

That is the general like of thinking. Others think the coins are a dime a dozen,

• Options
    << Is it accurate to compare the 08/07 uncirc's to the proof 95?

Stefanie >>

<< <i>That is the general like of thinking. Others think the coins are a dime a dozen, >>

Would be true if dimes were worth $2400 or so
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've decided to hold on to the three 08/07 Eagles I have after selling the first two for $200 each on ebay. I have another dozen coming from an order placed last week, so I'm curious to see if they are still being shipped out or if the vast majority went out for orders placed the last week of April, as indicated so far here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Coming up on the live show. They say they have less than 100 left:

Link

• Options
    eBay bidder maciaskot is a believer image

Link

• Options

<< <i>eBay bidder maciaskot is a believer image

Link

image >>

The highest yet. Nothing like dropping $6600 on 'em.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Mint going to come forward with an officail press release, in regards to how many were released?

They should have a ballpark estimate, no?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    "eBay bidder maciaskot is a believer"

yup..... and this fine gent has already paid by paypal!
    John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭

<< <i>eBay bidder maciaskot is a believer image

Link

image >>

5 times over......
  • Options
    One good thing about burnished Eagle's, is that there a pleasure to photograph.

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    What is going on with that W mintmark??
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    It's the OMM 08-W Reverse of 2007 First Strike MS70. image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    morgansforever

Is the "W" doubled or is that the photo?
  • Options
    Just playing with some cloning tools. First attempt.

Sorry gotta little off topic. image

• Options
    I have 6 small orders coming in that were ordered during the last week of April. This does it for me. I'm batting zero finding the 2008 rev of 2007. If these orders don't yield anything, I'm packing it in. The 2008's still have a chance to be good on their own IF silver keeps going down AND the reverse of 2007 coins dry up from the mint AND the mint doesn't reduce the price causing new orders from here on out to dwindle. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I have 6 small orders coming in that were ordered during the last week of April. This does it for me. I'm batting zero finding the 2008 rev of 2007. If these orders don't yield anything, I'm packing it in. The 2008's still have a chance to be good on their own IF silver keeps going down AND the reverse of 2007 coins dry up from the mint AND the mint doesn't reduce the price causing new orders from here on out to dwindle. I'm not holding my breath. >>

reduce the price?.. someone quote me ANY US Mint product in the last ten years on which they reduced the price..
    Gold has fallen about $200/oz since it hit $1050/oz a couple months ago.. do you see them reducing the price of ANY Gold coins they're selling?.. when Platinum hit nearly $2300/oz they took the 10nd Anniversary sets which were $1949.95 (when the went on sale, Platinum was about $1450/oz).. off sale for two months, then brought them back $700.00 higher.. now Platinum is just above $1900/oz.. do you see them reducing them back down?.. don't hold your breath.. you'll turn blue..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    That NBC TV stuff is shameless!

To actually say they only "made 200K 2006 W Unc" is just an outright freakin' lie
  • Options

<< <i>That NBC TV stuff is shameless!

To actually say they only "made 200K 2006 W Unc" is just an outright freakin' lie >>

That is not counting the 270,000 that came with the 20th anniversary sets which sell at a significant premium over the regular issue.

• Options
    Shop NBC is now sold out of the MS70's & MS69's.-

Link

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shop NBC is now sold out of the MS70's & MS69's.-

Link >>

They will start buying from eBay and boost the prices higher.

This week should be interesting.

Joe
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I have an order of 10 coming, that were originally my subscription order and had a final attempted delivery of 3/27. Because I moved they went to my old address and eventually were sent back to the mint. Once I found out what happened I had to fill out new address information for my subscription. Well to cut a long story short I was notified last week that my subscription information had been updated and that my subscription order would ship 5/14. However, every day for the last 5 days my ship order has been pushed back...now the date has changed to 5/19? Surely this means that so many orders have been placed (because everyone is ordering hopeing to get the 08/07 reverse) that they have run out and all the new coins will be the correct 08/08? Has anyone else noticed there orders in the last week having a date pushed back?

If the mint story is true about the 3 or 4 shift error is true which I DON'T BELIEVE, then in fact the mint purposefully minted many thousand's of errors (more than 47,000) to mix in with regular orders...Sound too complicated? Why not? SAE coin sales must be going through the roof! I may be new at posting but with everything I have read and experienced over the last month and the more I think about it I believe the Mint has created this error to boost sales, and at the end of the year we will all have realized that this coin is as common as the regular 08/08...still I hope I am wrong. image
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I just called the U.S. Mint to release a hold of an order of 10 ASEs which are in stock and reserved which they did. They said they are runnning low on these which confirms the backorder status now on new orders. I believe the well has run dry on the 07/08/s at least from the U.S. Mint.

I still don't believe these were made on purpose. The U.S. Mint never needed any help selling these. The 07's have a mintage of over 650,000 already.
  • Options

<< <i>at the end of the year we will all have realized that this coin is as common as the regular 08/08...still I hope I am wrong. >>

I surely hope your wrong as well ...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Shop NBC is now sold out of the MS70's & MS69's.-

Link >>

They will start buying from eBay and boost the prices higher.

This week should be interesting.

Joe >>

Yep, and the majority of collectors are just finding out how scarce these are with the supplies drying up. It's going to be a fun ride image

• Options
    I have my ticket, I'm standing in line! I hope its a long ride, not one of those 45 second disney rides...
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    <<Yep, and the majority of collectors are just finding out how scarce these are with the supplies drying up. It's going to be a fun ride>>

I share your vibe FLBuffaloHunter. I've also noticed a decline in the number of listings.

Just 2 days ago 180 plus listings, right now, searching with key words "2008 reverse" 140.

Nothing like getting in on the bottom floor, and riding to the top. image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    My order says: Your order request is in process.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    If there is a chance that these coins might be limited why wouldn't collectors and speculators hold onto them? Fewer e-bay sales simply mean that speculation is very strong right now. However a raw coin is bringing $175 to $200 in profit...later on if we find out these coins are common there will be no profit at all...If you have one or two 07 reverses its worth holding to find out, but what about those who may be sitting on 20, 50, 100 or more? That's a lot of potential profit to either make now or possibly lose later of course if as some are guessing on these boards then these coins could become very collectable and a very good investment.

What nobody knows but everbody here does seem to agree on is just how many of these "error" coins there are out there or how many more might continue to be distributed by the mint. Will we ever know unless the mint comes out with an official statement, or will we have to wait until the end of the year?

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    eBay official time 19:11:58 PDT

143 items found for: 2008 reverse 2007

link

completed:

691 items found for: 2008 reverse 2007
  • Options
    Who here who has no financial interest in this variety think it's going to be a huge winner? Rather, who thinks that a year from now it will be worth any more than what this coin is trading at today? I'm thinking there may be a short spike in prices but overall this coin will settle to maybe even lower sales levels than it is today. I'll be the first to admit I have little clue in these matters as I was happy to make a very small profit of Jefferson Liberties...
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Even if it's only $52 a year from now, where else is one going to make a 100% profit in a year?

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I do have a financial interest in these coins, but I really do believe these will be BIG winners....I'm thinking the mint held a lot of these back, and I'm thinking the total mintage will probably be 20 to 30 thousand....

-Paul
  • Options
    <<Even if it's only $52 a year from now, where else is one going to make a 100% profit in a year?>>

Certainly not my 401k. I'm lucky if I net 10%, after inflation adjustment.

Sold two at $195 on the BST, 630% out of the chute.
  • Options
    The coin has everything going for it. The only remining possible disdvantage is the unknown mintage. Given the dwindling supply it seems that the stated mintage of ~47,000 just may be at the high end of the estimate. Here is the replay of the earlier Shop NBC show before the immediate sellout. It starts at around 37:00:

Link

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>If there is a chance that these coins might be limited why wouldn't collectors and speculators hold onto them? Fewer e-bay sales simply mean that speculation is very strong right now. However a raw coin is bringing $175 to $200 in profit...later on if we find out these coins are common there will be no profit at all...If you have one or two 07 reverses its worth holding to find out, but what about those who may be sitting on 20, 50, 100 or more? >>

I have 85 of them and I am holding tight. These won't peak until many months from now, maybe even years. I am bidding all I can @$200 each. Just by looking at the Ebay auctions, etc, it is my opinion that there are far less than the 47K on the market. When you look at other hot issues you see far more Ebay auctions, something does not add up. the supply on these will be near zero come late summer. We are so early on this right now. Where is Florida Bill when you need him? Bill spreadsheet?????
  • Options
    He is in New Orleans at The Jazz Festival.

He's not thinking coins right now!

I don't blame him!
  • Options

<< <i>"eBay bidder maciaskot is a believer"

yup..... and this fine gent has already paid by paypal!
    John
    >>

Hi John,

I'm beleiver image

Best Regards,

Steve
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to submit these for first strike designation by PCGS? If the box is opened? Thanks in advance!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know how to submit these for first strike designation by PCGS? If the box is opened? Thanks in advance! >>

deadline has passed if the box is opened. --Jerry
  • Options
    < Does anyone know how to submit these for first strike designation by PCGS? If the box is opened? Thanks in advance! >>

Thanks for your reply. When submitting an 08/07 Eagle then, is there anyting special to indicate on the submission form? Is PCGS notating the 08/07 revese on the holder for any of these coins submitted raw? Are these Eagles worth submitting raw?

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>< Does anyone know how to submit these for first strike designation by PCGS? If the box is opened? Thanks in advance! >>

Are these Eagles worth submitting raw? >>

Yes!!

Have a good one!!!

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file