Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< What is the man in the front saying ? >>

errrrr...I think it's "F*** Off >>

I concur. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Now how did a thread about a simple ASE get to 800 post. I won't read the whole thing so how about a summary of the middle?
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Now how did a thread about a simple ASE get to 800 post. I won't read the whole thing so how about a summary of the middle? >>

Let's sum it up, Buy / sell / error / variety / first srtike / early release / two different boxes ECT...

Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    The flip summary:

"ASEs are going through the roof...wow!"

image x 798

My post.

Two of BECOKA's posts.

[edit] another post

And here we are!

(please be kind...I actually am interested in reading much of this stuff. it is an interesting thing that happened and I do not deny that!!!)

I believe we are witnessing how pricing is actually done in the real world when a graysheet is not available. Personally, I don't think that pricing panic, rushing to buy, and coin collecting are a good mix. But that also means i'll miss out on whatever happens.

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>Now how did a thread about a simple ASE get to 800 post. I won't read the whole thing so how about a summary of the middle? >>

Summary is the 2008 ASE's with a 2007 reverse prices have gone from about 69 dollars, to 119 to 180, to I believe around 225 (higher in MS70). The mint, in Coin world or some similar publication, announced that 47,000 were originally minted with the wrong reverse. And there has been a lot of speculation about all things in between, including how many were actually released.

Edited to add image for being the third person. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Well I got 5 out of 5 07/08 ASE's today. Ordered from the mint 4/23 received 5/2. They were in complete disarray with one out of the box, some of the boxes opened and one had a top lid on the bottom of another box. I think they are checking, but either the employees don't care or they are just releasing as is.

I will let the forum know about the other two orders of 10 I placed this past Wednesday which are in stock and reserved.image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered 12 on Sunday night and got them today--5 '07 reverses and 7 regular strikes, so I'm happy!! image

I placed an order for five more the other night--maybe should order more??

I did notice that the 07 reverses were the ones more tightly lodged in their holders, if that indicates anything..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth the number of 2007/2008 ASE on Ebay is up to 190 from last 7-10 day average of 125.

Price for raw coins capped at around $225 for now.............

Numbers obtained by searching key words.... 2007 - 2008 - reverse
  • Options
    I am happy with my five. I will wait and see with my other orders, if none come back 07s I won't be too disappointed.Just glad I didnt buy any of these on the secondary market, though I did put one bid for $149 on ebay in the beginning of the week which I didn't win. I still have 2 boxes of 5 and 1 box of 2 First Strike Eligible that I will submit under my 8 free submissions when my membership is due. Not selling these-these are a long term hold.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering just how rare these truly are? It just seems amazing that I'd get 5 out of 12 with the '07 reverse, and there are so many others with multiple 07s too, it just seems they're more plentiful than described?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm wondering just how rare these truly are? It just seems amazing that I'd get 5 out of 12 with the '07 reverse, and there are so many others with multiple 07s too, it just seems they're more plentiful than described? >>

I was thinking that also but consider the mintages reported.

190,000 regular reverse and 47,000 reverse of 2007.

That would make 1 out of 5 of the current mintage have the reverse of 2007.

There has been a lot of early orders with none so it is likely that 50% of the middle to end of April orders have them.

BUY BUY BUY before they are gone.

I have 10 ready to ship from the Mint.

Joe

• Options
    I guess when you find them in your order they don't seem so rare. But I guess if I didn't find any, I would probably think there are somewhat rare at around 47,000. We will see how this plays out in two years.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm wondering just how rare these truly are? It just seems amazing that I'd get 5 out of 12 with the '07 reverse, and there are so many others with multiple 07s too, it just seems they're more plentiful than described? >>

Your avatar is rare, these things are pretty common with 45000 of them out there. However, that may not be enough to meet demand. For everyone posting (bragging) how many 07s they got there are lots of silent people sitting with 08 reverses. For the record I got two shipments today each with 15/15 08/08 reverse. It's kindo like MS or PR70s. People always jump on and make an "I Suck" post when they get 2 70s out of 5 or 10 but they don't post when they go 0 for 10. --Jerry
  • Options
    190,000 regular reverse and 47,000 reverse of 2007.

Yes, but that will increase probably to around 650,000 by end of this year to 1 in 14 or 7%. If that 47,000 holds true.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I recieved the 25 I ordered on the 26th of April, just one reverse of 07image I have another order of 10 scheduled for shiping on May 16th...we shall see. It still seems very much like a lottery. Do you think the prices will hold up?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recieved the 25 I ordered on the 26th of April, just one reverse of 07image I have another order of 10 scheduled for shiping on May 16th...we shall see. It still seems very much like a lottery. Do you think the prices will hold up? >>

One is better than none!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    179 auctions
    -69 59/179 32.9%
    -70 32/179 17.9
    Other 88/179 49.2
  • Options
    I got 1 for 10 last time and reordered 10 more.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I got 5 out of 5 07/08 ASE's today. Ordered from the mint 4/23 received 5/2. They were in complete disarray with one out of the box, some of the boxes opened and one had a top lid on the bottom of another box. I think they are checking, but either the employees don't care or they are just releasing as is.

I will let the forum know about the other two orders of 10 I placed this past Wednesday which are in stock and reserved.image >>

Maybe the mint folks are rewarding the small purchaser instead of those greedy bastirds who buy em by the 100's.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    guys

just look to the rarest and next rarest silver eagle coins for price guidance on these. keep in mind the probable collector demand on any unc eagle of at least 500,000 coins.

1995-W mintage 30,125, price in the first year after issue around $250. raw. Slowly moved to the $1000 price in the next few years, now a several thousand dollar coin.

2006-W unc, mintage approx 480,000. Starts in the 60-80 dollar range and moves quickly over 100. settles back to 80-100 range where it is today.

2008-W Reverse of 2007, mintage estimated at 47,000 from anywhere between 3-15 dies, one shift of work (USM reported). Even at the high estimate of 47,000, this coin is 10 times as rare as the 2006-W unc and very close to the mintage of the 1995-W. Time will tell if the mintage is even less than the 1995-W which is a real possibility.

This coin is EASILY worth 200+ raw, and I believe will mature to a 500 dollar coin in very short order. After that, we must wait for the scarcity, popularity and promotion to take hold and drive the price even higher.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I got 5 out of 5 07/08 ASE's today. Ordered from the mint 4/23 received 5/2. They were in complete disarray with one out of the box, some of the boxes opened and one had a top lid on the bottom of another box. I think they are checking, but either the employees don't care or they are just releasing as is.

Sounds like a typical mint shipment to me. I wonder if they are spreading them out accross more orders to make it fair in true mint fashion?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

Sounds like a typical mint shipment to me. I wonder if they are spreading them out accross more orders to make it fair in true mint fashion? >>

Sounds like you are saying the mint intentionally created these to boost interest. True?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sounds like a typical mint shipment to me. I wonder if they are spreading them out accross more orders to make it fair in true mint fashion? >>

Sounds like you are saying the mint intentionally created these to boost interest. True? >>

No, but I think that once they found out about the mistake they could have gone through the inventory and redistributed them more widely. Of course many orders had none so maybe not.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sounds like you are saying the mint intentionally created these to boost interest. True? >>

I wouldn't rule something like that out completely. However we will never find out if that is true or not.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i called the Mint yesterday and asked about my XA1 sets on back order....they said they were taking all of the 08/07 coins they had left and putting them into those sets for shipment.

• Options

<< <i>i called the Mint yesterday and asked about my XA1 sets on back order....they said they were taking all of the 08/07 coins they had left and putting them into those sets for shipment. >>

• Options
    How long before this get's on the price guide? image

Have a good one!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I wouldn't rule something like that out completely. However we will never find out if that is true or not. >>

Sorry, I don't think they have that much ambition. I picture them dragging in every day punching the clock then punching little round metal things all day-then they go home. They are probably happy when sales slow down and wouldn't want to do anything to speed it up. That is what government work does to the human spirit.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    It's probably not Mint employees doing this. Probably minimum wage contractors doing all of the sorting & packaging who could give a carp less, and a contractor does the shipping.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Your avatar is rare, these things are pretty common with 45000 of them out there. >>

the Mint admitted (to CW) making either 45,000 or 47,000 of them.. i've seen both numbers all over the place.. that doesn't mean in any way that all 4x,000 of them got OUT in shipments to people and other life forms.. we don't know how many they yanked out of ready-to-ship boxes and replaced with the "normal" coins, do we.. all we know is how many the Mint admits to making.. if tradition holds, (and this isn't much of a tradition since this is only the third year of the burnished -W ASEs..) .. and they make about 500,000 to 600,000 -W ASEs this year, and 4x,000 of them actually DID get shipped, then you have about seven percent.. if far fewer than 4x,000 actually got shipped, then you have a smaller percentage.. who knows how small.. it's too early to know.. there are too many variables for anyone to make an absolute statement as to how many were shipped.. if they're still being shipped, how many were dug out of boxes to melt.. all that stuff.. it's just too soon..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<the Mint admitted (to CW) making either 45,000 or 47,000 of them.. i've seen both numbers all over the place>>

Sure would be sweet if only 20k made it out the door.

Cha Ching!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally do not think the US Mint has bothered to go though and inspect each container still left in inventory and pulled all the 07 reverse coins! Just imagine how long it would take to examine a million or millions of these? I am aware that the US Mint made a concerted effort to prevent the Monroe Dollars minted on quarter planchets from escaping their clutched but remember that these are shipped to the roller in huge ballista bags and returning them for revcovery would have been relatively easy. Plus, the Mint has already suffered a bunch of nose bleeds on the errors for the Presidential dollars but these Silver Eagles are packaged and shipped one at a time so the effort required to search the inventory would be much more extensive.

I think that every one that was made had been packaged and delivered or is sitting in the warehouse waiting for delivery.

BTW, my initial order of 10 shipped on 3/27 had zero 07 reverses whereas my followup order of 6 shipped on 4/25 had 6 for 6. (Shoulda ordered more.)

As a side question, should I put one of these in my Dansco?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    You know if there is one thing this 2007/2008 event shows it is how bogus is the whole concept of First Strike/Early Release.

Here you have the mint stating these were all struck over one shift on a single day.

Despite their common mint date they have been shipped/released over an almost 3-4 week period.

They are struck in large quanties of over 50,000 in a day, then encapsulated, then put in boxes, placed in master cases of 100, placed on pallets and shipped out to the fullfillment center where they are again in storage until finally shipped out. Through all this there is constant mixing of one shifts production with anothers. To think there is any relation between when a coin is minted and when it arrives in your hands is folly.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered my 2008/07 reverse coin today image
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know if there is one thing this 2007/2008 event shows it is how bogus is the whole concept of First Strike/Early Release.

Here you have the mint stating these were all struck over one shift on a single day.

Despite their common mint date they have been shipped/released over an almost 3-4 week period.

They are struck in large quanties of over 50,000 in a day, then encapsulated, then put in boxes, placed in master cases of 100, placed on pallets and shipped out to the fullfillment center where they are again in storage until finally shipped out. Through all this there is constant mixing of one shifts production with anothers. To think there is any relation between when a coin is minted and when it arrives in your hands is folly. >>

yet when you have bulk submissions from dealers in the 1000's to get the ER/FS labels on coins, the TPG's will continue to offer this "service". if the TPG's stopped the ER/FS cr$p, there would be less incentive to rush these through and also many many less coins sent in for slabbing. (IMHO) The TPG's would be in dire straits if it weren't for "modern cr$p"

• Options

<< <i>You know if there is one thing this 2007/2008 event shows it is how bogus is the whole concept of First Strike/Early Release.

They are struck in large quanties of over 50,000 in a day, then encapsulated, then put in boxes, placed in master cases of 100, placed on pallets and shipped out to the fullfillment center where they are again in storage until finally shipped out. Through all this there is constant mixing of one shifts production with anothers. To think there is any relation between when a coin is minted and when it arrives in your hands is folly. >>

Oh Jeez! imageimageimageimage

How many times do you folks have to be reminded that its only a friggin label that even states delivered within the first 30 days of release? Its a special "grading" label and nothing more! Exactly the same as the 2000 SAE Millenium slabs and the 2006-W 20th Anniversary Slabs. They are no different than any other Eagle's of the same date yet they have their own special "grading" slabs which bring their own special premiums!

Yes it's too bad PCGS chose the wrong thing to put on the label but its already been done and it makes absolutely no sense to change it now! If they did change the label to something else then over 529,658 Silver Eagle slabs alone would have to be reholdered so that the slabs match. Now that would cause an uproar especially at $10 a pop!

Stop your whining!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Received two today both 07/08 ASE's. Ordered 4/23.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    It's simple folks. If you don't like first strikes then don't buy them and don't send them in for grading under the first strike label. Leave the rest of us alone to enjoy them!
  • Options
    if i was going to buy the label, not the coin. i would buy ngc early release. that means i have a coin that was released within 30 days from the mint.
    first strike label should mean you have a coin made from the first die, not within 30 days.
  • Options
    boatbldrboatbldr Posts: 211
    I ordered 3 when I read this thread on 4/25, I just received them and got 3 for 3 07/08!! Raw on eBay are going for just south of $200 still. Should I hold or sell???imageimage
  • Options
    A bit OT, but I just put in my first ebay listing selling a 08/07 reverse eagle.

The wringing of hands ... the gnashing of teeth ... I hope I am doing everything right.

Do most board members sell on Ebay?
    If so, any advice for a newb seller selling these reverse of 07s as a first try?

Thanks!

• Options
    Give a link to your auction and you will get some feedback. Some of it may even be constructive! More eyes on an auction can't hurt!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I ordered 3 when I read this thread on 4/25, I just received them and got 3 for 3 07/08!! Raw on eBay are going for just south of $200 still. Should I hold or sell???imageimage >>

Another happy customer of the Board.

Congrats Boatbldr!!
  • Options

<< <i>Give a link to your auction and you will get some feedback. Some of it may even be constructive! More eyes on an auction can't hurt!!! >>

OK, try this...

Linky

thanks!
  • Options
    Always have insurance on coins over $100.00 / Always

Have a good one!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Always have insurance on coins over $100.00 / Always

Have a good one!!! >>

Thanks Mach19, I am taking notes!
    Also watching the hit rate go up.

This is kind of fun.image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Give a link to your auction and you will get some feedback. Some of it may even be constructive! More eyes on an auction can't hurt!!! >>

OK, try this...

Linky

thanks! >>

Why no pics? Generic and stock photo auctions are a turn off to many.
  • Options
    The listing overall is good, but here are some tidbits:

You have a stock photo there. That could cause many bidders to pass this one by for an auction that does have pictures of the actual coin being sold. Being a brand new coin...there should be little difference from coin to coin. However, your competition, with photos, might look better to buyers.

Setting a low 99 cent starting price saves the listing fee...but with a low feedback, you might not get the quantity of bidders you desire. An alternative is to search the completed auctions for this item and set a starting price rather close to the going price. This will keep all of the non-serious bidders out of the loop and will guarantee a reasonable minimum price for you. I said low feedback...not bad feedback...

Some folks are impatient. Offering a BIN price somewhat above the going rate is a good way to address the concerns of folks that WANT IT NOW!!!

No return policy might be a turnoff to some. Yet this is a brand new coin and it is hard to imagine there would be a problem. Still, some folks want to see that, especially when comparing your auction to others for the same item.

Offer insurance. You should pay for insurance whether or not you offer it in the listing, as it really protects you the seller...

I see you used the word "ERROR" in your title. Smart move. But to most, it's not an error coin. This is what I call "whitehat keyword spamming"...and it may result with more eyes on your auction. But will those eyes have a positive reaction?

• Options

<< <i>if i was going to buy the label, not the coin. i would buy ngc early release. that means i have a coin that was released within 30 days from the mint.
    first strike label should mean you have a coin made from the first die, not within 30 days. >>

Get Real! First off "first strike label should mean you have a coin made from the first die, not within 30 days." means that only 1 coin would ever qualify.

NGC was sued so decided to stop using the First Strike label and instead defaulted to Early Release which is technically correct.

PCGS has not been sued but clearly states on the slab "Delivered Within First 30 Days of Initial Release" along with the web link which states:

<< <i>Here's how PCGS identifies the coins submitted for First Strike® designation.
    Beginning in 2005, PCGS began designating coins packaged and delivered by the U.S. Mint in the 30 day period following the initial sales date of a new product as First Strike®. For instance, new American Silver Eagles typically go on sale each January 1st, thus any coin packaged or delivered and submitted to PCGS for certification between January 1 and January 31 qualifies for the First Strike® designation.

The First Strike® designation is a proprietary trademark of PCGS.
    According to the United States Mint, the Mint has not designated any coins as "first strike," nor does the Mint track the order in which coins are manufactured during their production. The United States Mint states that they exercise strict quality controls to assure that coins of high caliber are produced from each die set throughout its useful life. The Mint states that their manufacturing facilities use a die set as long as the quality of resulting coins meets United States Mint standards, and then replace the dies, continually changing sets throughout the production process. Coins which meet the criteria of PCGS First Strike® will be designated as a First Strike® regardless of when those coins were minted. >>

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file