Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1001 image

crikey - hitting refresh on this ol dell just wasn't fast enough!

My next goal is 1500, we should be there by mid week!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    1002!

lol

Oh well.

-Paul

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Too slow! image

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    1001 image

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

The juveniles of the forum have just shown themselves...

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    dang that was quick...1006

On topic ordered Two today from mint...I can only hope....
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    I have 2 reg. 08's , I also bought 2 rev. of 07's from MCM ( $69.00 @ Woo Hoo )

What are the chances PCGS will offer up a two coin slab for these ?

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has to be the fastest thread to 1,000 that doesn't rip one's head off...no attacks on Laura, ahooka, religion, OT political...

I think that we contributors are excited about the prospects short and long term, so we keep it going.

Remember, I said that this thread in posts will reach the number of coins outstanding....imho.image

Ren
  • Options
    PCGS? About .2%
  • Options

<< <i>Remember, I said that this thread in posts will reach the number of coins outstanding....imho.image

Ren >>

Then what the heck are we doing still posting?

EVERYONE STOP NOW!!! DON'T POST TO THIS THREAD FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS FLIPPABLE!!!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<EVERYONE STOP NOW!!! DON'T POST TO THIS THREAD FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS FLIPPABLE!!! >>

Sorry I had to laugh, ROFL x 2.

This flipping thing is disturbing, so artificial, so hollow, so shallow.

These coins skyrocketed right out of the gate.

$460 for a coin that doesn't even exist yet.

$460link

$265 far a raw one.

$265
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A friend of mine received 7-8 boxes of 10 today...........................0............all 08 reverses.. >>

Bummer! When were they ordered??
  • Options
    Link

Just saw this listed on Ebay. Anyone interested? (Not My listing...wish it was. )

WOW!!! Not even an hour and its GONE!!!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    anyone shed light on current orders rec'd, when bought, when shipped and how many found?
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>anyone shed light on current orders rec'd, when bought, when shipped and how many found? >>

i ordered two on Saturday.. supposed to ship to me on Wednesday by elderly turtle.. will report what's in the box whenever it shows up.. fingers crossed.. rubbing rabbit's foot.. star of David, crucifix.. whatever else is handy.. hanging garlic around monitor.. why didn't i buy more?.. well for one thing, i'm not Gordon Gecko.. for another.. too many reports of zero for zero starting to show up here.. plus.. i sold something on eBay that cost me nothing, so that paid for them.. whatever comes out of the box, whether normal or freak ASEs.. i'll let yawl know..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    jsf said:

Saturday May 03, 2008 6:23 AM - 179 auctions

136 items found for: 2008 reverse 2007 and dropping further....

If they had 47K out, this would not be happening.
  • Options
    <<If they had 47K out, this would not be happening. >>

I've been thinking along the same line. I expected thousands of listings, with a 47k number.

I wonder how many the Mint pulled? Will they disclose that number?
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    this one just ended. price going up? this is for 2 of them but they closed higher than the last few days.
    link
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I'm telling ya, there are no more than 25k of these. The rest were pulled by the mint. My guess, judging by the current eBay activity, is more along the lines of 10-15k.

I sure hope I'm right.

-Paul
  • Options
    <<I'm telling ya, there are no more than 25k of these. The rest were pulled by the mint. My guess, judging by the current eBay activity, is more along the lines of 10-15k.>>

We need to get the Mint to disclose that number, then this 07 reverse phenomena, turns into a raging frenzy.

• Options
    If i remember correctly there are some board members here holding on to 70+ coins with the 2007 reverse waiting for the price to climb higher. image
  • Options
    Boy, I'm telling you that this group is the BEST!. I never would have know about this except for this group. I now have seven NGC MS69 ($125 each) and four raw ($175 each). These aren't going anywhere. I didn't get in at the bottom, but maybe the first floor.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Or maybe the 6th or 9th out of ten. Only time will tell. Good luck!
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw prices surged today -- hitting $240-250. This coin is going places it seems...

Just got in a box today I forgot I ordered -- 3 of 5 were 08/07s. Ord 4/16, sh 4/24.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>If i remember correctly there are some board members here holding on to 70+ coins with the 2007 reverse waiting for the price to climb higher. image >>

Me - I am almost famous for picking the winners. I am tellng you guys there aint 47K of these in private hands. The less than 3000 mintage of 06-W $100 Plats, which were all in flipper hands, had about this much ebay activity. There are less than 15K of these. These are going way NORTH.

We need Florida Bill, he had all the stats, the one bad thing about Ebay not keeping records is that we don't have the recorded history. Remember when the MW First spouse coins hit? There were 30K of those - what was the activity level? It was much greater. Theserev of 07's were inercepted by the mint and melted. We need a FOIA request to find out exacly how many were released.
  • Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    Is this the first coin put out by the US Mint that has a "hand" engraved reverse with a "digitally" engraved obverse?
    Think about that!
  • Options
    CB2597CB2597 Posts: 3,042

<< <i>Is this the first coin put out by the US Mint that has a "hand" engraved reverse with a "digitally" engraved obverse? >>

What do you mean? Pls.explain...image Oh by the way Welcome!!!image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    107 auctions
    -69 36/107 33.6%
    -70 23/107 21.5
    Other 48/107 44.9
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this the first coin put out by the US Mint that has a "hand" engraved reverse with a "digitally" engraved obverse?
    Think about that! >>

No. They have been using the same OBVERSE for over 20 years; why would they digitally engrave it now. Maybe you mean digitally engraved REVERSE.
  • Options
    <<Me - I am almost famous for picking the winners. I am tellng you guys there aint 47K of these in private hands. The less than 3000 mintage of 06-W $100 Plats, which were all in flipper hands, had about this much ebay activity. There are less than 15K of these. These are going way NORTH.>>

I've picked a few myself, 01D Buff's, 06W ASE's, 20TH Anniv. sets etc......

15k, these are going to the North Pole, in the express lane.

I've noticed a decrease in listings 117 now, two days ago near 180.

Searched using keywords "2008 reverse". I tried adding a W no difference.

Time will tell,
    Scott
  • Options
    ZILCH again. Order placed April 30th for (3). Shipped 5/2, received 5/5. All 2008 rev 2008. I just wasn't meant to find any of these.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone else is going to be getting these from the mint...Now the prices are going to skyrocket image

-Paul
  • Options
    107 auctions !!!??

That's down by over 70 from Saturday!

With the Rebate Money hitting, those wanting to unload will NEVER find a better time, yet the Auctions Fall!?

Less than 47K for sure!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ZILCH again. Order placed April 30th for (3). Shipped 5/2, received 5/5. All 2008 rev 2008. I just wasn't meant to find any of these. >>

So much for the Mint processing orders in the order they are received. I placed an order on April 29th. Order Status: Your order request is in process.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    These Ebay numbers are promising! I was fortunate enough to pick up 2 of these NGC 69's.
    Just have a funny feeling I should have bought a lot more.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite responses on the board, lately:
    Time will tell !

I am happy for you fellas who are holding this coin. I'm trying to control my frustration at those who are holding MANY and sit there licking there chops. image

It's a great hobby, nonetheless.
  • Options

<< <i>107 auctions !!!??

With the Rebate Money hitting, those wanting to unload will NEVER find a better time, yet the Auctions Fall!?

Less than 47K for sure! >>

I concur there seem to be far less than 45K available based on Ebay listings.
    I pulled my auction last P.M. offering one each 07/08 and 08/08 for$250.
    I had a 10 day auction and had sold 7 sets out of 30 offered.
    In last couple of days sales started to really pick up and I began getting requests for volume pricing.
    I see $275-295 raw within 1 week.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this the first coin put out by the US Mint that has a "hand" engraved reverse with a "digitally" engraved obverse? >>

What do you mean? Pls.explain...image Oh by the way Welcome!!!image >>

The reason for the change in hub in 2008 is that the Mint has upgraded from using hand-engraved hub creation methods, to digital engraving methods.

The 2007 coins were hand engraved as in the past, therefore, you have a coin with both engraving methods.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

<< <i>

What do you mean? Pls.explain...image Oh by the way Welcome!!!image >>

The reason for the change in hub in 2008 is that the Mint has upgraded from using hand-engraved hub creation methods, to digital engraving methods.

The 2007 coins were hand engraved as in the past, therefore, you have a coin with both engraving methods. >>

Are there any articles written about this new digital engraving? I'd like to read more on it.
    Anyone know what the benefits are? i.e. will they now be able to produce designs with
    greater details, or will the coins be crisper, better quality, etc?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this the first coin put out by the US Mint that has a "hand" engraved reverse with a "digitally" engraved obverse?
    Think about that! >>

No. They have been using the same OBVERSE for over 20 years; why would they digitally engrave it now. Maybe you mean digitally engraved REVERSE. >>

I read that the digital reverse engraving was to insure better metal flow at striking.

Ren
  • Options
    The main difference between the two approaches (freehand vs. digital) is that with a digital process, the final coin is guaranteed to look exactly like the proposed digital rendering because both the rendering and the final die surface are generated by computer from the same source data.

http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/pres_2007.html
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>107 auctions !!!??

I used my rebate money to buy four more. I've bought few at $30, $119, and $205 and (1) $225. I've also sold at $200 and $300. These are all raws.

I concur there seem to be far less than 45K available based on Ebay listings.
    I pulled my auction last P.M. offering one each 07/08 and 08/08 for$250.
    I had a 10 day auction and had sold 7 sets out of 30 offered.
    In last couple of days sales started to really pick up and I began getting requests for volume pricing.
    I see $275-295 raw within 1 week. >>

Rebate, and the paper issues of NN and CW are out...collecting public is becoming aware.

Ren
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Yep I got my NN yesterday, and this made the front page.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    So much for the Mint processing orders in the order they are received. I placed an order on April 29th. Order Status: Your order request is in process.

I agree. I am still waiting on orders to ship placed before this one. Seems like the mint rolls dice in determining which orders to process.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>ZILCH again. Order placed April 30th for (3). Shipped 5/2, received 5/5. All 2008 rev 2008. I just wasn't meant to find any of these. >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

seems appropriate image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    I just picked up 20 from the Post Office that I got for $180 each....That brings my mini-hoard to 23.

-Paul
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>107 auctions !!!??

many do not run 7 day auctions with the hot items, look for it to jump....next weekend after Mother's Day. i do think many are holding multiples i show 131 with the search parameters of "2008 W reverse"

also ebay express adds a few, too.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raws seem to be drying up and outperforming the glut of ms69's. Leads one to believe many of the "hoards" have been disbursed. Some may be waiting yet, but there is always that percentage that will sell regardless of logic proportional to the smarter sellers...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    A true raw 07/08 gives you a shot at MS70 and so in theory it is worth more than a slabbed MS69.

In real life I believe it depends on whether you are buying unscreened raw coins or picked over rejects.
    I recently sold some raw 07/08s and I'll freely admit to this board that I sold the culls.

So in summary there are those rare unsearched raw coins and then there are the far more common picked over raw coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file